Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i or CLA 45 S Plus?

05-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #1
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
M340i or CLA 45 S Plus?

Hello all,

Stuck in a bit of a pickle, I just cancelled my M340i for reasons got to do with the broker and now I am going with another broker soon and I'm finding it hard to pick from the M340i or CLA 45 S.

The M340i will be a factory order and I'm sure there may be a CLA 45 S somewhere, but no sure, I need to find out.

Could I get some honest opinions on which one to go for. Such as, if you have owned either, driven either or know someone who has them.

Personally I love the interior of the CLA and love how everything is already included e.g. aerodynamics and heads up display.

With the M340i I love the 3L inline 6 and the LSD etc.

If I was to go for the M340i, I would definitely be getting the technology pack and shadow line pack. Possibly M Technology pack too (different to tech pack) this brings the U.K. price just shy to £53,000 and the CLA 45 S with be no extras as it has everything, only extra would be colour bring the total to just shy of £57,000.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #2
cigaro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabbypatty View Post
Hello all,

Stuck in a bit of a pickle, I just cancelled my M340i for reasons got to do with the broker and now I am going with another broker soon and I'm finding it hard to pick from the M340i or CLA 45 S.

The M340i will be a factory order and I'm sure there may be a CLA 45 S somewhere, but no sure, I need to find out.

Could I get some honest opinions on which one to go for. Such as, if you have owned either, driven either or know someone who has them.

Personally I love the interior of the CLA and love how everything is already included e.g. aerodynamics and heads up display.

If I was to go for the M340i, I would definitely be getting the technology pack and shadow line pack. Possibly M Technology pack too (different to tech pack) this brings the U.K. price just shy to £53,000 and the CLA 45 S with be no extras as it has everything, only extra would be colour bring the total to just shy of £57,000.

Thanks
Did you test drive them ?

I know its not the same car, but I test drove the AMG C 43, and while the engine is rated the same as the m340i, it felt less responsive than the bmw. Thats more than likely because the BMW is overperforming compared to spec sheets.

I know the CLA 45 S is rated for higher HP, but I would not be surprised if it felt not too much faster than the bmw.

Ride quality in comfort on the bmw should also be better as well.

I do also like the sporty and mean look of the mercedes interiors, but I think a customized m340i will look just as good.

Keep in mind it looks like carbon fiber trim and some more options will be available on the MY2021 according to some spec sheets, so youll be able to make a more sporty looking m340i pretty soon here.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigaro View Post
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks

I know its not the same car, but I test drove the AMG C 43, and while the engine is rated the same as the m340i, it felt less responsive than the bmw. Thats more than likely because the BMW is overperforming compared to spec sheets.

I know the CLA 45 S is rated for higher HP, but I would not be surprised if it felt not too much faster than the bmw.

I do also like the sporty and mean look of the mercedes interiors, but I think a customized m340i will look just as good.

Keep in mind it looks like carbon fiber trim and some more options will be available on the MY2021 according to some spec sheets, so youll be able to make a more sporty looking m340i pretty soon here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigaro View Post
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks

Thanks for the reply dude. I can't due to the lockdown. We haven't been able to test drive cars since March or something. That's why I thought I'd get others opinions. Okay where are you from? I would love it if it just came with the shadow pack or something tbf. And I do get what your saying, I feel like the m340 would be more fun to drove and it has adaptive mode which is sweet.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
cigaro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

I live in southern california. Roads here are terrible.

I actually drove my m340i to test drive an AMG C43 yesterday. To be honest, the m340i I purchased does not have all the options I wanted on it because it was incredibly hard to find a portimao blue with everything. So I have been having second thoughts and considering transferring this off.

Like I said, the AMG mercedes interior is pretty damn impressive. Super sporty and feels like a spaceship. Definitely more aggressive than the BMW by far.

Driving in comfort on the mercedes felt noticeably more rough than the bmw. Not particularly uncomfortable, but certainly not as good. And like I said with the engine, I felt like it was just not as responsive. The exhaust is incredible, and that AMG performance exhaust certainly outclasses the BMW.

When I jumped back into the m340i and drove home, it was actually shocking to me how much more responsive the car is. In Sport+ mode, it just goes when you press the pedal. Absolutely no discernable lag.

Another thing to take into account, is that BMW is going to include, maintenance with their cars for 3 years. Mercedes does not, so if you want a prepaid package youll need to add over 2k+ on top of the car price, so now it becomes 6k more instead of 4k.

If you are leasing, your payment will be dis proportionally higher than the BMW because of both maintenance costs, and lower residuals. You get MUCH more out of your money with BMW especially when leasing.

Leaving the mercedes dealer yesterday soldified my decision to build a new 2021 MY m340i when it comes out, with everything that I wanted originally, and riding that car out for a 3 year lease. Ill transfer my current 2020 to someone else. Probably sounds stupid, but there are features I just really want.

Please keep in mind I drove a C43 and not a CLA45 S so this is all anecdotal.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Isn't the CLA45 FWD biased? I don't think I'd want a FWD biased performance car. That alone would make me favor the M340i. I think the C43 is the better comparison.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
I drove the M340i as well as an A45 S hatch, the CLA will not feel a lot different I guess.

For the interior, the styling is personal preference really. I didn't like the A class interior, everything felt more open and spacious. While of course that is a thing that most people like, I don't in a sports car. But of course, you have more actual room (especially for back row passengers) in the 3 series, since it's a bigger car. From a quality POV it's night and day. There are leagues between the 3 series and the CLA, for a car that's scratching the €90k mark in Germany, there is a shocking amount of plastic in the CLA. Also one point: I found the bucket style seats to be uncomfortable on longer drives, they are so increadibly firm, that's not funny. They do look really good, but I'd just go with the normal sports seats.

The infotainment in both cars is quite easy to use, but I think the freedom of choice between rotary controller, touch or gestures for iDrive is much better than the touchpad in the CLA, gives me those Lexus vibes... Those steering wheel touch controls are terrible as well in the Merc. However, the digital speedo is much better in the Merc. You have way more styling and content options and I think it just looks better without the reversed rev counter. Another nice thing is the integration of Apple Car Play in the heads-up display. I'm not sure if the CLA has that feature, but the new E-class has it and that was really nice.

For the driving characteristic Mercedes did a really, really good job hiding the FWD architecture with a ton of electronics making sure it feels like RWD. You didn't really feel the FWD for normal driving, but when going hard into corners it's still not on the same level as the M340i. You can have a lot of fun in the A class, but everything felt like the electronics forced the AMG to do that. Best example is the drift mode: It sends the power to the outer rear wheel (not all the power, still is FWD based) in order to force the rear to drift outwards, so yeah you can have fun, but not because the car's driving characteristic is like that, but because the electronics force it to be like that (which is not necessarily a bad thing, it works good). The transmission feels much more aggressive in the CLA compared to the M340i. The 3 series is more of a cruiser, while the CLA is trimmed to maximum performance. But it's only for the A45 version, I also drove the normal A class and boy that transmission is crap, it felt like the DCT managed to stall the engine multiple times on my test drive. For both cars, definitely get the adaptive suspension, it's a must have.

Performance and sound are far better in the A45 S. I'm not sure how that exhaust is legal (especially in Germany, thanks TÜV), it sounds amazing. If you go into sports mode you have a lot of pops and crackles, which you can enjoy on every downshift. That's also a bit of a downside: Everything is coded in, the pops and crackles sound exactly the same every time, there is no variation, so it's rather digital. The M340i can sound great as well, but you have to look into aftermarket options for that.

If you care about drivers assistance systems, the 3 series is a clear winner. With the driving assistant professional you pretty much just sit back in your seat, relax and only "supervise" the car (on the highway). On normal roads you have a bit more to do, but it's still better than the CLA. The BMW will keep the distance as well as steer the car for you, even if there are no lines on the road. The CLA has ACC as well of course, but it doesn't steer for you. It has a lane keeping assistant, but that only works if it detects lines on the side of the road. Additionally it is not a lane centering assistant. This means, if you don't steer yourself, you will bounce from side to side in your lane, because the assistant only helps to not drift onto another lane. With the BMW you can drive for multiple hours, get out of the car and still have a lot of energy left thanks to the Driving Assistant Professional. If you do the same with the Merc, you will be exhausted and tired.

So, whats the conclusion? It depends on what you want. Do you want a fast daily driver, which you can use for long journeys as well as a sprited drive on the weekend? Go with the BMW, it offers much more comfort, while still being a sports car. Do you only use the car for the weekend, don't care about the driving aids and want to have a huge grin on your face every time you downshift? Then go with the CLA.

I really think the Driving Assistant Professional is a huge difference, which is why I would prefer the M340i, if it's a daily driver. If you go with the M340i I also suggest to get the Visibility package with the laser lights, the Technology package for the heads up and the upgraded audio and don't forget to tick the box for the Driving Assistant Professional . The M Technology pack only is an additional oil cooler iirc, but it's only 300 pounds, so might as well get it.

Last edited by Flamingi; 05-23-2020 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 3
Fuller1216.50
zamboni1127.50
EXE462100.00
      05-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
Delija
VIP
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

M Technology package is not just an additional oil cooler - it also brings bigger brakes.

BTW, I like the sound of M340i very much. It's super quiet while cruising in comfort mode and aggressive enough in sport plus.

Also, I went without DAP - only ACC. I want to drive the car - not to be driven by the car.
      05-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #8
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

ridiculous money for fwd cla ... no comparisson to rwd I6 ... and I mean none zero but it's your decision

cla compres to audi s3 and gti and that new ugly bmw 235
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      05-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks
The MB is a front wheel drive car with all wheel drive added in to deceive us. Sort of like the BMW 235. MB prettied it up but it is still lipstick on a pig.

Stick with a RWD car. You will eventually regret getting the MB. If you want an MB, get a C series.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:49 PM   #10
18340i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks
sounds like you're in the UK, so I'm assuming the m340i is xdrive? I'd go with the AMG assuming it's the new CLA. If it's an rwd m340i, then go with the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:53 PM   #11
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

OP, have you checked out a C43 AMG? I'd take that over a CLA 45.
zamboni1127.50
      05-24-2020, 06:02 AM   #12
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
M Technology package is not just an additional oil cooler - it also brings bigger brakes.

BTW, I like the sound of M340i very much. It's super quiet while cruising in comfort mode and aggressive enough in sport plus.

Also, I went without DAP - only ACC. I want to drive the car - not to be driven by the car.
That statement about the DAP I have only ever heard from people that have not yet driven extensively with it. It is a complete game changes, never would order a car without it ever again, if it's a daily. If I only use the car for joy rides, I wouldn't get a M340i anyway, there are better cars for that money if it's only about fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 07:13 AM   #13
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

have a 340 and a45 and whilst on paper they are similar, they couldnt be further apart in the real world.

drive both and youll know.

i doubt youd regret either one - its either your cup of tea or it isnt.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:24 AM   #14
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

While some like the look of the CLA interior (or A class in general), the materials are and feel cheaper than in the 3 series.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      05-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #15
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian test driver View Post
While some like the look of the CLA interior (or A class in general), the materials are and feel cheaper than in the 3 series.
Yes this was something that really took me by surprise. I had a CLA for about a week and I could not believe how cheap the interior felt!!
Everything was cheap plastic that creaked and moaned at the slightest whim.

The AMG variant looks amazing and I even considered it for a while, but then I thought about the interior and where would it be in a few years time.

I would go BMW though just for the outstanding fit and finish, plus RWD based.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #16
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

In addition to all the info above, the CLA is closer to a 2 series than 3 in sizing. The back seats are almost unusable except for children.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      05-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #17
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

That CLA 45S is a great looking car inside and out...but FWD? That's where the debate would end for me.
      05-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #18
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
To be fair to MB, the A and B classes are equivalent to BMW's 1 and 2 series. The BMW 3 series is equivalent to the MB C series.

So one should compare apples to oranges.

But, again, I wouldn't buy either of the front wheel drive versions. There are many front wheel drive cars out there that will compete with these two cars for a lot less.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #19
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

I've never been able to get past the CLA line looking so cheap.

From the interior shiny trim to the exterior body panels, there's just something about it that feels off.

It could go twice as fast as the m340i and I still wouldn't take it seriously.

Also, I echo it not being in the same category as the 3. It's much smaller, especially the backseat and trunk. The 3 has a gigantic trunk for a smaller sports sedan. It's been a lot more functional than I expected.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 3
EXE462100.00
premier3is1628.00
Germanauto9698.00
      05-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #20
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
I've never been able to get past the CLA line looking so cheap.

From the interior shiny trim to the exterior body panels, there's just something about it that feels off.

It could go twice as fast as the m340i and I still wouldn't take it seriously.

Also, I echo it not being in the same category as the 3. It's much smaller, especially the backseat and trunk. The 3 has a gigantic trunk for a smaller sports sedan. It's been a lot more functional than I expected.
+1. That's because the CLA was primarily introduced in my opinion to bring in more buyers at a more affordable entry price point. It looks cheap, totally agree with you.

I'm not even sure why these 2 cars are being compared. Borderline insulting to the M340i owners lol. We can start and end it at the fwd i4 vs. rwd i6.

BMW is also known to understate it's specs. Just a little browsing on these forums and you'll know the car puts out much more than expected.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #21
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
To be fair to MB, the A and B classes are equivalent to BMW's 1 and 2 series. The BMW 3 series is equivalent to the MB C series.

So one should compare apples to oranges.

But, again, I wouldn't buy either of the front wheel drive versions. There are many front wheel drive cars out there that will compete with these two cars for a lot less.
True, but this thread was specifically asking about the M340i vs CLA, and the cost is similar in the UK. Actually, the CLA optioned how the op wants is more.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:21 AM   #22
mrares
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i, Lotus Elise SC

I only drove the CLA 45 (Shooting Break) for 30 minutes or so of spirited driving around some country roads, previously drove the f30 320i for two years and my other car is a Lotus Elise (these are to give my comment some context over what I consider good handling), I currently own the 330i g20 for a few days and warmed up to it.

I found the CLA 45 fast, it definitely puts the power in the road in a straight line (you can go from stroll to grinning-fast in a few meters), BUT, cornering and steering feel in general are not good, it corners of course but not because of you, as you're just a passenger holding a spring-loaded steering wheel that always wants to go back to center. I found steering feel abysmal, sure the BMWs don't tell you what year the coin you just drove over was made (with the lotus you can tell how many holes a manhole cover has) but you feel the road in your hands, you feel the wheel cambers and the roughness of the asphalt and you feel the sidewalls bending, in the AMG you only feel the body roll and the Gs, steering isn't there.

The g20 which you're looking at is less connected (I'm biased and very very used to the f30) but it does give you all those inputs, you can steer it all the way over the curb and you'll feel where all your tires are in the process. The interior is amazing, looks and feels expensive but doesn't distract you from the road. The DAP is a game changer (must have in my opinion) but you're always ONE thumb press away from "all bets are off I'm the one in control over here".
Appreciate 0