Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics 5 hours with Bavsound Ghost Subs (only audio mod) review

02-04-2024, 05:08 PM   #1
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

5 hours with Bavsound Ghost Subs (only audio mod) review

Hey everyone,

I wanted to drop a post on my initial impressions for the BavSound ghost subwoofer install. For reference, my car is a 2022 340 and I have the H/K sound system.

The install was cake - took a buddy and I less than an hour just throwing tools across the car to each other on the driver and passenger side.

For whatever reason, no heatgun was required on my car - the factory sub enclosure actually had 4 set screws holding it in place. On that note, I actually could have probably done the flat drop-in and saved a little more time not removing the enclosures at all.

One mistake I made was disconnecting the driver's side yellow seat connector harness. That cost me $40 in Bimmerlink application code clearing to sort out, but it was real easy and I'm glad I have that functionality now.

Onto the review! When I first popped some music on in the driveway I was a little underwhelmed. . . Just for clarity I have a bunch of BimmerCode mods including the Bowers & Wilkins Audio codec which I think made a major improvement to the general soundstage. That DEFINITELY impacts my review, because the whole "presence" and "ambiance" of the music is altered for the better. I use CONCERT mode FYI.

I took my first proper drive and the thing I noticed immediately was that the mid-bass ranges were completely different. There is a "muddiness" to the factory sound that I now know very clearly was coming from those underseat subwoofers. The muddiness is flat out gone.

That said, I was still a little underwhelmed, so I pulled over and bombed my EQ back to flat. I figured that messing with the lowest frequency sliders would adjust the subwoofer more than the rest of the speakers, but I was 100% completely wrong. The only thing that seems to impact the sub output is the Bass slider which was a bit odd, and as some others have noted it was even more odd that adjusting the Bass slider also alters the low frequency ranges on the rest of the EQ. . . Very stupid engineering in my opinion, but whatever.

On that note - you kind of need to get the subwoofer output to your liking at around 75%-85% max volume by tweaking the bass, and then fine tune the rest of the crossover/slider adjustments, or else the car is just gonna F with you if you do the Bass last.

Okay so once I figured all these things out, and allowed for a little break-in time, I really have to say that this is the single best audio upgrade you can do to a car in the price range. I have been listening to everything from classic rock through some 90s rap, metalcore, old school punk, and a smattering of everything in between. I am in LOVE with the sound output.

This isn't the best audio system I've ever heard or anything, but for <$500 with the promo I had through Bavsound, there really is nothing quicker, easier, and more fulfilling you can do to the audio.

The Bass is CLEAN, and it does hit WAY harder than the factory. It's not the same as dropping a 10" or 12" dedicated enclosure into your trunk in terms of SPL and "body bass liquifying pressure," but that's never what it was intended to be. . . The fact that the factory amp can drive these things and they do what they do . . . I am flat out in love - this is the second best easy audio mod I have ever done next to disabling Active Sound.

Notes for everyone - I do not have any listening experience without the B/W mod through BimmerCode. I suggest everyone does this mod as it dramatically improves the sound quality in the cabin, at least from my subjective listening.

I have disabled ActiveSound - you should too.

My EQ is relatively flat, but I went well over the suggested Bass from bavsound of +2 or +3. I think I'm at +6. It friggin hits though.

I dropped a couple of frequencies down by -1 or -2 just by ear in the mid to higher frequencies.

I tuned by ear at 80% max volume, and it carried over very well to the lower volumes.

Lower than 55% volume the only discernable difference is "less muddy low range."

Once you get louder than that you can feel/hear the punch and the deeper bass hits. 80% sounds friggin damn good!

My only concern is that since the subwoofers don't have their own slider, I may be over exerting the other midbass door drivers now by having the Bass slider set higher - no idea how the crossovers work. I honestly don't care either - if I blow them I'll get something better in the doors.

I highly recommend this mod - it's definitely more of an OEM++ than an aftermarket system upgrade, but keeping that in mind, WOW.

I'm only like 5 hours into speaker break-in right now - I already think that it's worth it by a country mile.

Any comments/questions please let me know! I am not Bimmercoding my car back to factory to test it out, so don't even ask that one

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 12:46 PM   #2
WernerM340IX
Rep
Drives: G21 M340IX 2023 LCI

I would like to add a tip to this that is highly recommended. I have a 2023 M340i with
the H/K. Recently added an app via carplay.
The app is called BOOM, it has an EQ adjustment of 16 bands Lowest 32 highest 20K This allows you to easily change the music very drastically. It is almost unbelievable how this simple app changes the entire experience.

Link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....boom&hl=en_US

https://apps.apple.com/be/app/boom-b...065511007?l=nl
Appreciate 0