Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Most worth-it boxes to tick for a 330i?

03-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #45
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
With a fully loaded (minus laser headlights and gesture control) 330i x-drive m-sport, at the time I bought it, the OTD difference between the car I bought and a similarly equipped M340 would have been in the 8,000-9,000 USD range. If I could live without all the options on the M340 they would have come out to around the same price. But, I wanted the tech and after driving both, I was wowed by the performance of the 6 cylinder but I thought "where and when would I actually get to use that much power??"... not during my daily driving and certainly not very often. Then there was the fact that I actually liked the grill style of the 330i better. For me, having had my first bimmer in the 80's, the BMW pedigree is part of what adds coolness to the car, so I prefer the more traditional look of the vertical grille slats...yeah I know it can be changed, but I think modern grille designs are headed down an increasingly ugly path and there just wasn't anything cosmetically about a M340 (except for the nicer exhaust tips which is minor) that grabbed me enough to want to pay extra for it. Not that the M340 looks worse mind you, it's just that minor improvements like the tips couldn't be the reason for me to upgrade, only the engine could and I didn't think I'd get enough use out of it -- only use more gas going the same speeds.

I used to say I would never own another 4 cyl again, and that's been the case for the past 20 years of car purchases for me. But then I drove the 330i xdrive. Launches like a rocket, sounds like a 6 (although definitely not as good as the M340), has fuel economy that is remarkable. Engine noise is one of the standout features of the M340 -- way better than the 330... but not enough of a difference to get into my wallet as I tend to spend my time listening to music (cha-ching I'll take Harmon Kardon for 700 Alex).

One of the things I always hated about 4 cylinder engines is they seem to get noisy and clacky sounding with age. If this one ends up the same way in 4-5 years, then I may swear off 4 cylinders again, but BMW did such a nice job keeping the engine quiet (minus the opt-in active noise), that I have high hopes. The other reason was just normal engine noise from high revs, and always feeling like the engine was working too hard at highway speeds. However that's so not the case with this engine / transmission combination -- it gives me everything I liked about 6 cylinder engines.
Very interesting to read! Honestly, if the difference for me here was 8,000 dollars I would maybe have gone with the M340. It is heartwarming tho to see that some actually do prefer the 330i and that it's not at all bad. It's hard to actually use the M340s power here too, lots of speed cams..so I am thinking I most probably made the right choice to go 330i...

I couldnt manage to get it to near 200km/h when test driving (the roads where full), could anyone else assure that the engine doesnt feel like its working overly hard at high speeds?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #46
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post
Agreed. I bought a 3 month old ex-demo car (like all the BMWs I have owned) and searched high and low for one that had this - it was a must for me and bizarrely not easy to find on nearly-new cars in the UK. So much so that I compromised on electric seats (only I drive the car).

Aside from the gimmicky bit of being able to see what your car looks like from the outside, one of the things I really like about it is that it shows you if any of your doors are likely to hit something if you open them fully.

May sound daft, but when you have 2 kids in the back, I prefer to say "Boy, can you get out on girl's side please" rather than hear "Sorry Dad, I didn't mean to smash the car door against the lamp post"...

Oh. And being able to see the car view on the Connect Drive app is fun too.
This is the reason why I opted for it. Simply for the extra camera views. Helps prevent pulling to far into parking spots and scraping underside on block. Also great for avoiding curb rash. Never used it for the self parking feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:27 PM   #47
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
One area you can save, IMHO, is on the seat material. Unless you are opting for the Nappa (which I did and love), I would go for the sensatech imitation leather over the Dakota. To me, the Dakota feels like cheap imitation leather. That will save you a few Krona which you can use on the HUD (which I strongly urge you to consider).
^^ DON'T DO IT ^^

I almost opted for the SensaTec and last minute went out to go have a look see. It looks like vinyl / plastic. Irony is that the seats are actually comfortable but a bit softer than the leather. If you've had MB Tex or Lexus Nuluxe, Sensatec still has a lot of catching up to do and is not comparable. Plus the stitching on the SensaTec isn't as nice as the leather and just kills the interior IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:28 PM   #48
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Exactly! The sensatech now is almost indistinguishable from real leather. A big improvement over the Dakota I have in my F10.
I decided to use the savings on other options such as the surround cameras, ambient lighting and power trunk.
And yes, I did get the premium package as well mainly for the HUD.
Not true. Sensatec looks fake.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #49
Gorkyg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conezz View Post
Not true. Sensatec looks fake.
I beg to differ. To the trained eyes maybe not. 9/10 people that get in my car think its leather. Actual car enthusiasts will know, thats about it.

Also sensatec keeps getting better with every release.

Visually speaking and also smell wise I love leather but I think it ages worse and needs more maintenance
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:57 AM   #50
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Depends on which leather and vinyl are used. BMW sensatec is not as refined as MB or Lexus in this realm.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #51
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conezz View Post
Depends on which leather and vinyl are used. BMW sensatec is not as refined as MB or Lexus in this realm.
I agree. The Dakota, to me, looks and feels like leatherette. That is why in my opinion the choice comes down to Nappa (my choice) or real leatherette and use the money elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
Gorkyg48.00
      03-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #52
youthsonic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I agree. The Dakota, to me, looks and feels like leatherette. That is why in my opinion the choice comes down to Nappa (my choice) or real leatherette and use the money elsewhere.
This, 1000x. Mine came with their Vernasca leather, but it wasn't what I was explicitly looking for, having had 2 others with Dakota leaver prior. Hell, I was just at our local Auto Show before I bought my 330, and sat in a ton of cars to see if my giant kiddo would fit in the back. Even the Subaru Legacy has a Nappa leather option, and felt a ton more comfortable
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #53
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

For me, in order:
1- Driving assistance plus: Lifesaver for commuters. Enjoying it a lot with my G30, would never buy a car without it going forward, as long as I'm commuting to work.
2- HUD: BMW should remove the dashboard and switch to HUD only. Seriously.
3- HK sound system - I actually think HK is amazing value for money. I consider myself an audiophile, and HK on BMWs aren't only loud enough, but they are also very high fidelity. Amazing vocals, amazing imaging, very punchy but not boomy- balanced bass, great soundstage. To get that kind of sound quality at home, you need to spend way more than what BMW is asking for.
4- M Sport package - For the looks mostly
5- Heated seats and steering wheel - Massachusetts
6- Remote start - Mostly for MA weather as well.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #54
youthsonic
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For me, the minimum would be Premium package, since it includes the HUD, live cockpit, etc. I LOVE the HUD - it blew my mind, and became a requirement after test driving one with it. Mine came with Luxury Line, Luxury, Comfort, Premium, and Executive. Really the only thing missing is the active driving pro stuff, but I don't commute daily so while I wanted it I am not sure I will actually miss it. Plus where I live (Kansas City, MO area) we don't really have traffic to speak of.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #55
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Wow, a lot here are praising the HUD. I didnt think it was that good but I think I should check it out...my feeling without seeing it on the G20 (only on previous model) is that it is overpriced to add.
I will check it out and add it before production if it is really worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #56
youthsonic
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
Wow, a lot here are praising the HUD. I didnt think it was that good but I think I should check it out...my feeling without seeing it on the G20 (only on previous model) is that it is overpriced to add.
Yeah, I definitely think it's worth it. I will admit that my first real experience with one was in the 330i, but I doubt I will own another car without one. It shows full-color speed limits, turn by turn directions, media browsing, call information, all kinds of cool stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 03:40 AM   #57
newjack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M COMP

I sit in a ton of traffic, couldn't live without the Driving Assistance Professional package.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:42 AM   #58
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
I wouldn't want to go back to a car without HUD now.

If nothing else having satnav directions and speed limit stuff in the eyeline is really useful.
Appreciate 0