Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Rear Cross Traffic alert never getting triggered?

04-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #45
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Mine worked perfectly today and had it not been for the cross traffic warning, I literally never woulda saw the car coming. I was super impressed with how well it worked and the range at which it detected the oncoming vehicle
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #46
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I actually like the way it operates. If the risk is slight, I get a single very faint beep but if it is more severe, I get a louder repeating beep. So...for example, if there is a car parked on my side of the street right before my driveway I get a single faint beep as I back out; but if a car is barreling down the street, I get the louder repeat beeps.
I never get any beeps at all, even if a car or person is moving towards the car while I am backing up, so maybe it got fixed in a newer idrive version? I am on one of the older releases, June 2019 I think? I know I don't have November 2019 and definitely not March 2020. Don't remember the version I have.
Are you using the panoramic camera?
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #47
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
yes
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #48
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Just the normal backup camera, will have to try the pano cam, although it is sort of annoying that it wouldn't be on by default when you're backing up...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #49
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Just the normal backup camera, will have to try the pano cam, although it is sort of annoying that it wouldn't be on by default when you're backing up...
I don’t have panoramic view. It works for me. To test it today, I put the car in reverse, parked it in the driveway close to the curb and asked my wife to drive one of the other cars like someone would in a parking lot (perpendicular to me). And we tested it five times and all five times, the triangle lit up at the bottom corner from the direction she drove. No beep though because she wasn’t driving fast. Just the flashing red triangle.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #50
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

One morning my head wasn't screwed on right and my brain wasn't with me, I hopped in my car and just went to reverse and wasn't paying attention and as I was backing up a big truck zoomed by me, maybe 4 feet away? And the car did not give any warning what's so ever, I was in complete shock, yes that woke me up but it's nice to know your car will have your back right?? Well it didn't, for a 2020 fully loaded bmw they should be ashamed at how flawed there crosstraffic alert system is, and they want to build autonomous cars? Lol
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
Poochie9104.50
      04-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #51
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
One morning my head wasn't screwed on right and my brain wasn't with me, I hopped in my car and just went to reverse and wasn't paying attention and as I was backing up a big truck zoomed by me, maybe 4 feet away? And the car did not give any warning what's so ever, I was in complete shock, yes that woke me up but it's nice to know your car will have your back right?? Well it didn't, for a 2020 fully loaded bmw they should be ashamed at how flawed there crosstraffic alert system is, and they want to build autonomous cars? Lol
I understand. My Audis are better in that aspect. They even brake automatically in such situations.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #52
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
I understand. My Audis are better in that aspect. They even brake automatically in such situations.
Yeah even my fathers 2014 Camry has a better cross traffic alert, it won't brake automatically but it's so sensitive if it sees a car coming..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #53
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
I have done this twice now, once in reverse and once pulling out of a parking space and both times the car has given me a audible alert and applied the brakes.

Maybe it depends how sensitive your have set it to in the idrive.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #54
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have done this twice now, once in reverse and once pulling out of a parking space and both times the car has given me a audible alert and applied the brakes.

Maybe it depends how sensitive your have set it to in the idrive.
I don't recall seeing a cross traffic alert setting in the iDrive?? I'll check it next time I get In my car I hope that's the case
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:52 AM   #55
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp

I have to agree with everyone! The Cross Traffic alert on my M340I is terrible. Probably the feature I hate the most. My 2018 Jeep Cherokee and my wife 2019 GMC Acadia do far better job than my BMW. BMW should be ashamed. Now what does seem to work really well is when backing out of the garage I get beeps and warning that I am really close to the wall of the garage door. In fact I have had the car grab the brakes several times on me although I was not about to the wall at all..but was close. But a few month back when I was backing out of a parking space and almost hit a car flying by it did nothing to alert me or stop me. And i was moving. The Jeep and GMC would have warned me right away. Heck sometimes those cars warn way to early. I too had to look it up even asked my kid one time to walk behind the car in the driveway while I was backing up and it never saw him. The car did nothing. Going to make sure they look at this on my first visit.
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      04-07-2020, 07:23 AM   #56
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnichols138 View Post
I have to agree with everyone! The Cross Traffic alert on my M340I is terrible. Probably the feature I hate the most. My 2018 Jeep Cherokee and my wife 2019 GMC Acadia do far better job than my BMW. BMW should be ashamed. Now what does seem to work really well is when backing out of the garage I get beeps and warning that I am really close to the wall of the garage door. In fact I have had the car grab the brakes several times on me although I was not about to the wall at all..but was close. But a few month back when I was backing out of a parking space and almost hit a car flying by it did nothing to alert me or stop me. And i was moving. The Jeep and GMC would have warned me right away. Heck sometimes those cars warn way to early. I too had to look it up even asked my kid one time to walk behind the car in the driveway while I was backing up and it never saw him. The car did nothing. Going to make sure they look at this on my first visit.
On my second day of ownership my car grabbed the brakes pulling out of my garage, and the first thought that went through my head was that I had just curb-rashed brand new black 19"s against the brick liner on the inside garage wall.. It didn't take long before I turned that feature off.

I didn't think I would use backup assistant much, but it is actually nice for backing out of the garage without the chirping or having to pay much attention to wall clearance. More and more I find myself using it for that purpose.

As far as cross traffic alert, I really hope this is something they can fix with a software update.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #57
MurrayB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340ix

My brakes have grabbed a couple times backing out of the garage.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #58
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep

Well I had to mention this once again. Just got my new update of 3.20 and was hoping that crosstraffic alerts would be fixed. Nope not even a chance. When I back out of my garage the thing goes nuts because of the side of the door and the wifes car. Even stops the car at times thinking I got too close. however today in the grocery parking lot I was in reverse ready to back out and saw a lady with a cart I let her pass by the back of my car. I got 3 yellow squares no red and no audible sounds. I proceeded to back out and car came so I went slow and let the car pass by. Not one sounds color square or anything. BMW should be ashamed of there system. With my old jeep or my wife GMC both the car and lady would have warned me. BMW 65k car and you tech is crap. Although I love this car...just this makes me insane.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #59
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Well, today I was pulled into a parking space in the city with the car running waiting for someone. All of a sudden I heard a loud alert and flashing area on the rear camera. Finally, it worked, I wonder if before the issue was due to the firmware. I will have to do an experiment to see if the functionality is consistent.
      08-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #60
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i Gran Coupe

Mine has worked flawlessly the few times I've needed it to. If for some reason I don't see the red flashes I do get an audible warning. I will say the audible warning waits extremely late to trigger. The only time I've gotten it to trigger was when I intentionally tested the feature and let the passing car (Friends car) get within about 3-4 feet of the bumper. BMW needs to have the audible feature trigger way sooner in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #61
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530e xDrive

Quote:
My 2018 530e works. When I back out of my garage, if a car is coming down the street, I get a beep as it gets close.

Have you checked your settings in Idrive?

530e also

Mine only seems to make an audible warning if my car is moving, if my car is stationary (foot on brake) then only the red visual warning on the iDrive screen flashes. Since I always back out of my driveway and pause since I have a large shrub blocking my view of bicycles and pedestrians, mine rarely beeps. I switch to the wide rear view to check for anyone coming. If I'm slowing backing out of blind parking spot downtown, it beeps if someone is coming.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #62
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

Pew...I thought I was the only one, Rear Cross Traffic Alert never activated in 3 month of ownership.
I Tried in All safety ON mode, and made sure it is ON in individual setting as well.
I never seen a red warning on the dash because I know I have to look around.

It suppose to work when R gear engaged even if car is not moving at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #63
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Has also not worked a single time in over a year of ownership...20k miles. I'm beginning to wonder if the car even has the feature. Def something going on here.

Wife's Volvo works almost daily- pedestrians,cars,shopping carts etc. Will even hit the brakes.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #64
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep

Mine still is not working. Just upgraded the wife's car to a new VOLVO XC60 and yesterday I was in a parking space waiting to back out saw a car and was already in reverse not moving. As the car approached I got an audible alert and some flashing. Guess hers works. Mine is crap. That same instance mine would have just laughed at me!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #65
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero7000 View Post
Pew...I thought I was the only one, Rear Cross Traffic Alert never activated in 3 month of ownership.
I Tried in All safety ON mode, and made sure it is ON in individual setting as well.
I never seen a red warning on the dash because I know I have to look around.

It suppose to work when R gear engaged even if car is not moving at the moment.
I think it is only supposed to work if one is not moving if the cross traffic is very close. I believe the algorithm focuses on speed of the approaching car and your speed.

We need to remember that these things are not perfect and represent design compromises between too many warnings so that people ignore them or turn off the feature or too few warnings. Ultimately, these are merely aids and we need to continue to drive as if they don't exist.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #66
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
I think it is only supposed to work if one is not moving if the cross traffic is very close. I believe the algorithm focuses on speed of the approaching car and your speed.

We need to remember that these things are not perfect and represent design compromises between too many warnings so that people ignore them or turn off the feature or too few warnings. Ultimately, these are merely aids and we need to continue to drive as if they don't exist.
This is probably correct. I think the algorithm is set to imminent collision so there arent too many false warnings. It finally got triggered today after a year of ownership as i was backing out of a parking spot quickly and a car flew by. No braking-just audible alert but enough time for me to stop.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0