Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Rear Cross Traffic alert never getting triggered?

12-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #23
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Heck, mine has never activated -- perhaps I don't have it?

How do you turn it on?

My M340 has a manufacture date of June 26 with software version 07/2019.70 in it

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #24
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post

How do you turn it on?

My M340 has a manufacture date of June 26 with software version 07/2019.70 in it

You have a point. I tried checking the BMW website to build a car as per how mine is specced and I can't seem to find cross traffic alert. Maybe I don't have it? I just assumed the car had it since my A4 had it and it's useful.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #25
stevej2002
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Mine works sometimes. I tend to use the wide view when backing up, so I won't see it but will see the approaching car.

I have had it activate for pedestrians.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #26
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:

How do you turn it on?

It's part of driver assistance package.
      12-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #27
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
It's part of driver assistance package.
I have the DAP. And I’ve never noticed it come on yet. Though there have been lots of situations where it should have and it would have on my Audis.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #28
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That's what we are saying, it's a worthless feature on this car since it never works when it's suppose to.
      03-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #29
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Unfortunately I only recently realized this (thought maybe I had configured a setting wrong), but it's true. Rear cross traffic alert on this car is unacceptably bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #30
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Weirdly enough. It started working in my car a few weeks after I posted here. It’s not very obvious like in my Audis where there’s a proper bright red arrow from the direction the person/car is coming from. It’s also very sensitive in the Audis too. But yes. If you’re not looking at the rear view camera, it’s easy to miss since it happens at the bottom corner of the camera image part. Unless you’re backing up fast or if the car that triggers it is moving fast, in which case there’s an audible gong as well along with the red alert.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:16 PM   #31
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Weirdly enough. It started working in my car a few weeks after I posted here. It’s not very obvious like in my Audis where there’s a proper bright red arrow from the direction the person/car is coming from. It’s also very sensitive in the Audis too. But yes. If you’re not looking at the rear view camera, it’s easy to miss since it happens at the bottom corner of the camera image part. Unless you’re backing up fast or if the car that triggers it is moving fast, in which case there’s an audible gong as well along with the red alert.
Maybe I'm spoiled from my previous Lexus 3IS... it was the beep I got used to, so I guess that's what I'm expecting now. God knows my G20 beeps enough in other situations that aren't a matter of safety. It freaks me out how much it beeps backing out of my garage (its a standard 2 car garage and my GF parks on the right side, so there's only a few inches of clearance between the drivers mirror and the garage door opening when I pull out... the thing beeps with such urgency it's nerve wracking. Just wish it were smart enough to learn that when I make the same backing movement multiple times per day in the exact same spot, it's probably going to be okay. But yes beep and panic me if the neighbors kid runs behind my car.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      03-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #32
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

On the 3IS , it worked perfectly. The other day I was backing up and out of nowhere I saw someone walking behind the car which almost gave me a heart attack lol. Yet there was no alert, BMW needs to fix this because it's defective. Does anybody here have any other new bimmer and can share if the feature works on his/her car.
      03-24-2020, 06:03 AM   #33
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On the 3IS , it worked perfectly. The other day I was backing up and out of nowhere I saw someone walking behind the car which almost gave me a heart attack lol. Yet there was no alert, BMW needs to fix this because it's defective. Does anybody here have any other new bimmer and can share if the feature works on his/her car.
In the back of my mind I want to say I've seen it work to the extent that VipinLJ states, that the camera view did display some sort of visual indicator; perhaps then the problem in my case is that I'm conditioned to rely on beeps if there is danger, so I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the cam. Even if that's the case, I wish it worked like the Lexus equivalent.

I do know that I promptly turned off rear backup emergency braking the first day I had the car, because pulling out of my garage, it mistook a normal movement for a problem and slammed on the brake (startled me, because I thought my wheel had hit the inner brick lining of the garage and that I had curb-rashed my wheel on the first day). I don't know if that setting has an impact on RCTA or not.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      03-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #34
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
Quote:
Same here. Had the RCTA serviced, " dealer said it's fine. My kids Mazda CX-5 system works so much better. BMW could also work on the steering intervention, much too aggressive. Instead of doing their own thing maybe BMW should copy other manufacturers systems when they do it better.
If you find it too intrusive, then change the sensitivity
Steering intervention is either on or off.
Not on mine...I can change the amount of intervention in the menus.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #35
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Same here. Had the RCTA serviced, " dealer said it's fine. My kids Mazda CX-5 system works so much better. BMW could also work on the steering intervention, much too aggressive. Instead of doing their own thing maybe BMW should copy other manufacturers systems when they do it better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Quote:
In the back of my mind I want to say I've seen it work to the extent that VipinLJ states, that the camera view did display some sort of visual indicator; perhaps then the problem in my case is that I'm conditioned to rely on beeps if there is danger, so I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the cam. Even if that's the case, I wish it worked like the Lexus equivalent.

I do know that I promptly turned off rear backup emergency braking the first day I had the car, because pulling out of my garage, it mistook a normal movement for a problem and slammed on the brake (startled me, because I thought my wheel had hit the inner brick lining of the garage and that I had curb-rashed my wheel on the first day). I don't know if that setting has an impact on RCTA or not.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Quote:

How do you change sensitivity.
Where in the menu can you change the sensitivity, besides the early or late adjustments ?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #36
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
So looks like the Brits, Japs and even other Germans except BMW have got it right?
My 2018 530e works. When I back out of my garage, if a car is coming down the street, I get a beep as it gets close.

Have you checked your settings in Idrive?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #37
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
My 2018 530e works. When I back out of my garage, if a car is coming down the street, I get a beep as it gets close.

Have you checked your settings in Idrive?
It started working a few weeks after I posted on here that it didn’t work. I think my car realised I complained about it somehow and thought it would show me who the boss was it works now. Not as often as I’d like but it does.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #38
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
I found the the settings and, in fact, had the settings on

Well, I took my car in to the dealer last week and among other things, I told my service advisor to check out the rear traffic alert. Got the normal "ran the test & found no faults" song -- so no joy!

Does anyone know what module controls and what functions so I can investigate a coding alternative?

Thanks

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #39
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
I found the the settings and, in fact, had the settings on

Well, I took my car in to the dealer last week and among other things, I told my service advisor to check out the rear traffic alert. Got the normal "ran the test & found no faults" song -- so no joy!

Does anyone know what module controls and what functions so I can investigate a coding alternative?

Thanks
The RTA stinks on BMW. It does not work any where near as well as my kids Mazda CX-5. Not even close.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #40
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Works well on mine but you have to have the rear panoramic camera activated not the usual reversing camera.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #41
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I actually like the way it operates. If the risk is slight, I get a single very faint beep but if it is more severe, I get a louder repeating beep. So...for example, if there is a car parked on my side of the street right before my driveway I get a single faint beep as I back out; but if a car is barreling down the street, I get the louder repeat beeps.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #42
TheM3Boy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

I am very surprised to find out that this feature doesn't work as expected for many people. It works great on both my E90 335 and my F25 X3. It is one of these features that you never knew you "needed". I still look back when backing out of a parking but rely on it when parking the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #43
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I actually like the way it operates. If the risk is slight, I get a single very faint beep but if it is more severe, I get a louder repeating beep. So...for example, if there is a car parked on my side of the street right before my driveway I get a single faint beep as I back out; but if a car is barreling down the street, I get the louder repeat beeps.
I never get any beeps at all, even if a car or person is moving towards the car while I am backing up, so maybe it got fixed in a newer idrive version? I am on one of the older releases, June 2019 I think? I know I don't have November 2019 and definitely not March 2020. Don't remember the version I have.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      04-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #44
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
I never get any beeps at all, even if a car or person is moving towards the car while I am backing up, so maybe it got fixed in a newer idrive version? I am on one of the older releases, June 2019 I think? I know I don't have November 2019 and definitely not March 2020. Don't remember the version I have.
I’m on 07/2019 and I do get the beeps. But only if the car/person is approaching fast enough. Else, I only get a visual warning on the bottom corner of the rear view camera screen.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0