Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Quickest way to get to manual mode?

04-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #1
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quickest way to get to manual mode?

Took a drive today, and noticed that to get to the fully manual mode, the following sequence needs to be followed:

1. Start the car.
2. Sport mode on.
3. Reverse out of driveway.
4. Stick it in D, push the stick left to go Sport Automatic mode.
5. Shift once with either the stick going back, or use the right paddle.

I found that (newbie problem) I would leave it in Sport Auto and by the time I attempt to manually shift it's already shifted up several gears on its own since they are so close together. I'm guessing Sport+ probably solves this but having it on all the time reduces the traction control. I want to learn slower than that

So, is there a different shortcut to full manual mode in any drive mode? I thought there were some tricks you can do with the paddles?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
Took a drive today, and noticed that to get to the fully manual mode, the following sequence needs to be followed:

1. Start the car.
2. Sport mode on.
3. Reverse out of driveway.
4. Stick it in D, push the stick left to go Sport Automatic mode.
5. Shift once with either the stick going back, or use the right paddle.

I found that (newbie problem) I would leave it in Sport Auto and by the time I attempt to manually shift it's already shifted up several gears on its own since they are so close together. I'm guessing Sport+ probably solves this but having it on all the time reduces the traction control. I want to learn slower than that

So, is there a different shortcut to full manual mode in any drive mode? I thought there were some tricks you can do with the paddles?

Thanks!
Irrespective of the drive mode, shifter in M/S and using the paddles is the only way for almost full manual (almost because car won’t upshift till you do but it will downshift by itself if the revs are real low).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Irrespective of the drive mode, shifter in M/S and using the paddles is the only way for almost full manual (almost because car won’t upshift till you do but it will downshift by itself if the revs are real low).
Thanks VipinLJ. I'll be experimenting of course, just looking for tips from those who've had the 8AT experiences longer than me.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      04-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

After you're done in R, and move the selector down and to the right (to engage D via N) - let the lever self-center and then just push it one more time directly to the right. just like a double tap right after bringing from R to N.

Alternatively, use the M steering wheel buttons and program one to manual gear change, and push that M button after you move the selector from R to D.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
After you're done in R, and move the selector down and to the right (to engage D via N) - let the lever self-center and then just push it one more time directly to the right. just like a double tap right after bringing from R to N.

Alternatively, use the M steering wheel buttons and program one to manual gear change, and push that M button after you move the selector from R to D.
He has an M340i. Not an M3
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
He has an M340i. Not an M3
Thanks for trying! Figures BMW would have saved the REAL way for the REAL M cars with the DCT! And I think I heard they tried to make the ZF8 behave like a stick in the M5/M8?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 02:46 AM   #7
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Have you tried the sport individual modes? Maybe you can set everything to normal sport or comfort and only the transmission to sport +.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 05:29 AM   #8
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I've driven Manual in other cars most of my life. Thought I'd try fully manual mode the other day, using the process in your first post and then tried with the paddles....

The only "problem" I found was that the car is so quiet I could hardly hear when to change gear. I had to start looking at the rev counter, and wound the window down a bit too, lol.

I'm new to the car so expect I'll get used to it when we're not in lockdown.

I also wasn't sure how to get back to Sport Auto from Manual? Anyone advise? I went the long way, back to D then back into S again...seemed to work but a bit long winded.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #9
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

I thought you just knocked the shifter to the left (on a UK car) and you effectively had a sequential manual gearbox via the gear lever - I am pretty sure that is how it worked on my f34 on the one occasion I tried it.

I'll be honest that I haven't tried it on the g20 - I love the eight speed auto!!

Also,there is a rev counter display - a coloured bar - in the HUD somewhere; maybe while in Sport Plus? Again I have seen it while trying out the toys on delivery but not since.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #10
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Have you tried the sport individual modes? Maybe you can set everything to normal sport or comfort and only the transmission to sport +.
That's a good thought! I'll try this weekend and report back, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #11
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
I thought you just knocked the shifter to the left (on a UK car) and you effectively had a sequential manual gearbox via the gear lever - I am pretty sure that is how it worked on my f34 on the one occasion I tried it.
No that puts it initially into Sport Auto mode. It only goes into Manual when you start changing gears using the sequential box (or wheel paddles). But the problem with that is if you're accelerating fast the Sport Auto changes gear before you can use the Manual gears, at least the first time...so then you appear to have to change down manually to get it into Manual mode when you can then change gear when you want to.

Am I missing something? Never gonna win any traffic-light sprints with all that to do....(Start in Sport Auto, allow it to change too early, then Manually change down before you can start to get anywhere), by which time you'll be red-faced in someone's rear view mirror.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      04-07-2020, 12:31 AM   #12
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I seem to have answered my own question. Once you go into Sport Auto, you can rapidly go to manual mode by simply pressing the left paddle (you can't downshift since you're already in 1st but the car puts you into M!) Thanks to all who assisted!

I guess the only question left is can you jump back from Manual into Sport Auto using some paddle trick or is it just the lever?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:36 AM   #13
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
I seem to have answered my own question. Once you go into Sport Auto, you can rapidly go to manual mode by simply pressing the left paddle (you can't downshift since you're already in 1st but the car puts you into M!) Thanks to all who assisted!
Ah, of course. Seems obvious now you say it. Presume you could also use the gearstick to shift down?

Quote:
I guess the only question left is can you jump back from Manual into Sport Auto using some paddle trick or is it just the lever?
Yes that's what I want to know too. If you're up for an experiment try clicking both paddles together.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:41 AM   #14
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

I feel like the description in the first post, and subsequent posts, makes the process seem much more complicated than it is. When you're in drive, pull the lever to the left and then either push the shifter forward, or click a paddle and you're in manual mode. If you want to go back to full auto, simply push the gear lever back to the right. If you want to be in full auto, sport transmission, pull the lever back to the left, but don't push it forward or backward and don't click a paddle.

Spend some time playing with it and getting accustomed. It takes a little while to get used to the car, especially if it's your first bimmer and you've only had it a short time.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I feel like the description in the first post, and subsequent posts, makes the process seem much more complicated than it is. When you're in drive, pull the lever to the left and then either push the shifter forward, or click a paddle and you're in manual mode. If you want to go back to full auto, simply push the gear lever back to the right. If you want to be in full auto, sport transmission, pull the lever back to the left, but don't push it forward or backward and don't click a paddle.

Spend some time playing with it and getting accustomed. It takes a little while to get used to the car, especially if it's your first bimmer and you've only had it a short time.
That's what I've been doing as well, and was a little confused by this post. Thought I was missing something lol
      04-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #16
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
That's what I've been doing as well, and was a little confused by this post. Thought I was missing something lol
I believe OP's problem is that the car will eventually auto-upshift even in manual mode unless you're in Sport+. Sport individual might be the solution since you can set only the Sport+ transmission and regular sport for everything else.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      04-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #17
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
….If you want to go back to full auto, simply push the gear lever back to the right. If you want to be in full auto, sport transmission, pull the lever back to the left,
Does that seem a bit convoluted to you presuming you want to go from Manual back to auto sports transmission? Ie you have to go to non-sports auto first. It's not a big issue but just wondered, like the OP, if there was a more direct way?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #18
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottroc View Post
Ah, of course. Seems obvious now you say it. Presume you could also use the gearstick to shift down?

Yes that's what I want to know too. If you're up for an experiment try clicking both paddles together.
All credits to Yobyot
  • To shift instantly to the lowest possible gear, press and hold the left shift paddle.
  • To shift back into automatic mode in any driver experience mode and/or if you've engaged manual mode by causing a shift with the gear selector in sport, press and hold the right shift paddle.
  • To shift back into automatic mode in any driver experience mode and/or if you've engaged manual mode by causing a shift with the gear selector in sport, press the right shift paddle and then quickly press the left paddle; release both paddles.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 2
Fuller1216.50
      04-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #19
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ah brilliant, thanks. I'll have to try those methods when I get chance.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 04:18 PM   #20
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah brilliant, thanks. I'll have to try those methods when I get chance.
I tried that a long time ago in my 330i and it worked. But I don’t use it often. Only tested it that one time.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #21
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I only picked my car up just before lockdown so I haven't even got used to using the paddles at all yet. Despite having been driving (including some pretty fast cars) for over 30 years I'm like a beginner in this car lol. Soon as I can get a few miles under my belt I'll start getting used to it though.

Oh and I nearly put my foot through the floor the other day when I forgot and tried to use the clutch. Lol.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #22
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I only picked my car up just before lockdown so I haven't even got used to using the paddles at all yet. Despite having been driving (including some pretty fast cars) for over 30 years I'm like a beginner in this car lol. Soon as I can get a few miles under my belt I'll start getting used to it though.

Oh and I nearly put my foot through the floor the other day when I forgot and tried to use the clutch. Lol.
Muscle memory!

And I understand. The first time I drove a car with paddle shifters, I was careful not to even touch it by mistake lest I mess something up. But once you try it out, you realise it’s nothing at all and you won’t mess it up.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0