Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics iDrive 8 central monitor "waves"

08-01-2023, 03:49 PM   #1
vlad_orinenko
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i Xdrive

iDrive 8 central monitor "waves"

I’ve been noticing issue with central monitor. Link to video added below (download video to see, Dropbox has low quality when whatching online and issue is not visible).

I can see “waves” on central monitor with my eyes, that’s not only on video. It only happens in night mode when everything darkens, visible in both CarPlay and bmw menus. Issue is not consistent, happens 50% of the time driving in the evening. Changing brightness doesn’t help, I can see it in both lowest and highest evening brightness modes. As soon as car switches to day mode (for example when you drive out of parking lot) those waves disappear, while monitor becomes a lot brighter (highest brightness in evening mode is like half bright as in day mode). In day mode there are no waves even if I lower brightness. Rebooting central monitor also didn’t help.

Didn’t contact dealer as for now, just wondering if someone has similar issue.

video link
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 06:06 PM   #2
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

if you have video of issue get it replaced
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 03:11 PM   #3
vlad_orinenko
Rep

In case anyone has same issue, dealer replaced entire screen - problem was solved, no more “waves”. Dealer mentioned that BMW said them this problem happened numerous times on all models with ID8
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 10:25 PM   #4
Jasonsang
Rep
Drives: M440i

Wonder how was the screen being replaced? Do you know how they take it off and install a new one?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 02:12 AM   #5
vlad_orinenko
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsang View Post
Wonder how was the screen being replaced? Do you know how they take it off and install a new one?
Entire replacement takes 2-3 hours, half of which is new screen coding and system OS update. You only need to take off plastic cover behind steering wheel which hides screen bolts and as far as I understood on the right of the screen where there is a plastic leg, it also hides a bolt. And that’s it, unscrew bolts and replace, don’t have to take out dashboard etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 10:01 AM   #6
Jasonsang
Rep
Drives: M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_orinenko View Post
Entire replacement takes 2-3 hours, half of which is new screen coding and system OS update. You only need to take off plastic cover behind steering wheel which hides screen bolts and as far as I understood on the right of the screen where there is a plastic leg, it also hides a bolt. And that’s it, unscrew bolts and replace, don’t have to take out dashboard etc.
Thanks! I had a screen rattling issue and the dealership agreed to replace it. But they run into coding issue. The installed screen does not wake up. They now has been working that for 2 days. Really frustrating on their skill….
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 02:26 PM   #7
vlad_orinenko
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsang View Post
Thanks! I had a screen rattling issue and the dealership agreed to replace it. But they run into coding issue. The installed screen does not wake up. They now has been working that for 2 days. Really frustrating on their skill….
Sorry to hear, hopefully they figure it out fast. In my case everything was quick and easy, I now also have the latest OS with new fonts on dash, no other differences noticed
Appreciate 0