Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Driver profile issue

01-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #1
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Driver profile issue

Hi.

I really wish I had spent more time with the dealer when I picked up my 330i.

Everything seems difficult to set up compared to my last BMW (328GT 2015) .....thought I had finally got the Careye going only to find that I can only view on the mobile phone while sitting in the car!! Anyway, that's for another day.

I had a BMW Connected account for my last BMW and have registered the new car onto that account no problem i.e. I can use the remote features.

However, I cannot register the BMW Connected account 'into the car' via the in car touch screen so I can set driver profiles - I am 100% certain I am using the correct user name and password but it keeps telling me I am using an incorrect user name or password.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in anticipation
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Here's how I did it:

1) create BMW connected account

2) download BMW connected app on Iphone

3) sign into BMW connected app

4) Connect iphone charging cable to car which added car to the app.

5) To fully pair the app and car you need to perform some kind of function like like remote lock car/remote start etc. When you do this the app will send a 6 digit code to car.

6) check BMW connected messages in car Idrive for 6 digit code

7) Full pairing complete and I am able to do everything including profile setting etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Take a ride back to the dealer and have the BMW 'genius' help you.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Here's how I did it:

1) create BMW connected account

2) download BMW connected app on Iphone

3) sign into BMW connected app

4) Connect iphone charging cable to car which added car to the app.

5) To fully pair the app and car you need to perform some kind of function like like remote lock car/remote start etc. When you do this the app will send a 6 digit code to car.

6) check BMW connected messages in car Idrive for 6 digit code

7) Full pairing complete and I am able to do everything including profile setting etc.
Thanks...but see my post below!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Take a ride back to the dealer and have the BMW 'genius' help you.
Thanks..but trying to avoid it as it's a four hour round trip...see my post below
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Soooo...I have sort of sorted it...up to,a point......I have two completely different passwords,for,Connected!!!!.....the password loaded onto my iPhone that is used to open the app via fingerprint is different to the one I would use to go in via the website (which works in the car). No idea how or why but at least I know now.

HOWEVER........the settings i have assigned to my key car don't seem to,work...if I use my wife's key to open the car, adjust the seat to,a,silly position and then lock it with my wife's key, then open using my key the seat doesn't move to 'my' position.

I have a call booked for,tomorrow,with the Genius at the dealer that I bought the car from (four hour round trip,away) ...not sure I can fix this over the phone so hopefully I can do a face to face with a local dealer's Genius.

Don't even get me started on Careye 2.0. I can connect on the iPhone while sitting in the car (useful. NOT) but not remotely.

I didn't have any set up issues on my F34...either I'm stupid or it's all a bit user unfriendly.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Soooo...I have sort of sorted it...up to,a point......I have two completely different passwords,for,Connected!!!!.....the password loaded onto my iPhone that is used to open the app via fingerprint is different to the one I would use to go in via the website (which works in the car). No idea how or why but at least I know now.

HOWEVER........the settings i have assigned to my key car don't seem to,work...if I use my wife's key to open the car, adjust the seat to,a,silly position and then lock it with my wife's key, then open using my key the seat doesn't move to 'my' position.

I have a call booked for,tomorrow,with the Genius at the dealer that I bought the car from (four hour round trip,away) ...not sure I can fix this over the phone so hopefully I can do a face to face with a local dealer's Genius.

Don't even get me started on Careye 2.0. I can connect on the iPhone while sitting in the car (useful. NOT) but not remotely.

I didn't have any set up issues on my F34...either I'm stupid or it's all a bit user unfriendly.
Before you make that long drive to the dealer did you try all of this? Maybe you are setting up your driver profile but not linking it to the specific digital key? Sorry this is long but it is copy/pasted from the manual. Hope you figure it out!

Creating a driver profile

A driver profile is created on the Welcome screen or via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

Move the Controller to the right.

"Create driver profile"

A ConnectedDrive account must be assigned to a driver profile. An existing account can be used or a new account must be created.

Selecting recognition

The settings for the recognition are entered on the Welcome screen or via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Driver recognition"

Select the desired setting:

"with vehicle key"

A remote control is assigned to the driver profile. As soon as the vehicle detects the remote control, the corresponding driver profile will be activated.

If the remote control is not carried with you or the remote control is not recognized, the driver profile can only be selected on the Welcome screen when the PIN protection has been set up.

"with Digital key"

A digital key is assigned to the driver profile. As soon as the vehicle recognizes the digital key, the corresponding driver profile will be activated.

If the smartphone with the digital key is not carried with you or the digital key is not recognized, the driver profile can only be selected on the Welcome screen when the PIN protection has been set up.

"Activate linkage"

Setting up PIN protection

A driver profile without recognition and without PIN protection can be activated and changed by any driver.

A driver profile with recognition cannot be activated without remote control and without digital key if the PIN protection was not set up.

If PIN protection was not set up or the PIN is not known, the driver's profile cannot be activated.

If PIN protection was not set up or the PIN is not known, the driver's profile can be activated with the access data of the corresponding ConnectedDrive account.

Via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Driver recognition"

"using PIN"

Changing/canceling the recognition function

If the vehicle and remote control will be handed over for maintenance, for instance, the recognition function should be canceled with the remote control. The handed over remote control can then no longer be used to access the personal driver profile. If the driver profile was protected with a PIN, undesired access will no longer be possible.

If another remote control or another digital key is assigned to a driver profile, the current assignment must be canceled first.

Via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Driver recognition"

"with vehicle key"

or

"with Digital key"

"Activate linkage"

Selecting a driver profile

Depending on the recognition setting, the driver profile will be selected automatically.

If the guest profile is active, the driver profile will be selected on the Welcome screen or via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

Select driver profile.

"Log in"

All settings stored in the selected driver profile are automatically applied.

Switching synchronization with the ConnectedDrive account on/off

The settings stored in the driver's profile are synchronized with the personal ConnectedDrive account. This means that it is possible to use the personal settings in other BMW vehicles with ConnectedDrive access as well.

The synchronization with the ConnectedDrive account is enabled in the setup assistant or via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Settings"

"Synchronize driver profile"

Selecting a profile picture

Via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Avatar"

Select the desired profile picture.

Deleting the driver profile

Via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Settings"

"Remove driver profile"

Select the desired driver profile.

"Delete now"

If the driver profile was synchronized with a ConnectedDrive account, the stored data in the ConnectedDrive account will be retained.

System limits

A clear detection of the desired remote control may not be possible in the following cases, for instance:

The driver unlocks the vehicle via Comfort Access and has multiple remote controls with him or her.

The driver changes, but the vehicle is not locked and unlocked.

When multiple remote controls are located outside on the driver's side of the vehicle.

If the remote control was not detected clearly, unlock the vehicle by pressing button for the desired remote control.

A driver profile can only be created and synchronized with the ConnectedDrive account when cellular network reception is available.

The use of personal settings that are stored in the ConnectedDrive account in other vehicles is subject to technical limitations. For example, settings may be stored for a system that is not available, or available in a non-compatible version, in other vehicles.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      01-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Before you make that long drive to the dealer did you try all of this? Maybe you are setting up your driver profile but not linking it to the specific digital key? Sorry this is long but it is copy/pasted from the manual. Hope you figure it out!

Creating a driver profile

A driver profile is created on the Welcome screen or via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Create driver profile"

A ConnectedDrive account must be assigned to a driver profile. An existing account can be used or a new account must be created.

Selecting recognition

The settings for the recognition are entered on the Welcome screen or via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Driver recognition"

Select the desired setting:

"with vehicle key"

A remote control is assigned to the driver profile. As soon as the vehicle detects the remote control, the corresponding driver profile will be activated.

If the remote control is not carried with you or the remote control is not recognized, the driver profile can only be selected on the Welcome screen when the PIN protection has been set up.

"with Digital key"

A digital key is assigned to the driver profile. As soon as the vehicle recognizes the digital key, the corresponding driver profile will be activated.

If the smartphone with the digital key is not carried with you or the digital key is not recognized, the driver profile can only be selected on the Welcome screen when the PIN protection has been set up.

"Activate linkage"

Setting up PIN protection

A driver profile without recognition and without PIN protection can be activated and changed by any driver.

A driver profile with recognition cannot be activated without remote control and without digital key if the PIN protection was not set up.

If PIN protection was not set up or the PIN is not known, the driver's profile cannot be activated.

If PIN protection was not set up or the PIN is not known, the driver's profile can be activated with the access data of the corresponding ConnectedDrive account.

Via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Driver recognition"

"using PIN"

Changing/canceling the recognition function

If the vehicle and remote control will be handed over for maintenance, for instance, the recognition function should be canceled with the remote control. The handed over remote control can then no longer be used to access the personal driver profile. If the driver profile was protected with a PIN, undesired access will no longer be possible.

If another remote control or another digital key is assigned to a driver profile, the current assignment must be canceled first.

Via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Driver recognition"

"with vehicle key"

or

"with Digital key"

"Activate linkage"

Selecting a driver profile

Depending on the recognition setting, the driver profile will be selected automatically.

If the guest profile is active, the driver profile will be selected on the Welcome screen or via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

Select driver profile.

"Log in"

All settings stored in the selected driver profile are automatically applied.

Switching synchronization with the ConnectedDrive account on/off

The settings stored in the driver's profile are synchronized with the personal ConnectedDrive account. This means that it is possible to use the personal settings in other BMW vehicles with ConnectedDrive access as well.

The synchronization with the ConnectedDrive account is enabled in the setup assistant or via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Settings"

Selecting a profile picture

Via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Avatar"

Select the desired profile picture.

Deleting the driver profile

Via iDrive:

"CAR"

"Driver profiles"

"Settings"

"Remove driver profile"

Select the desired driver profile.

"Delete now"

If the driver profile was synchronized with a ConnectedDrive account, the stored data in the ConnectedDrive account will be retained.

System limits

A clear detection of the desired remote control may not be possible in the following cases, for instance:

The driver unlocks the vehicle via Comfort Access and has multiple remote controls with him or her.

The driver changes, but the vehicle is not locked and unlocked.

When multiple remote controls are located outside on the driver's side of the vehicle.

If the remote control was not detected clearly, unlock the vehicle by pressing button for the desired remote control.

A driver profile can only be created and synchronized with the ConnectedDrive account when cellular network reception is available.

The use of personal settings that are stored in the ConnectedDrive account in other vehicles is subject to technical limitations. For example, settings may be stored for a system that is not available, or available in a non-compatible version, in other vehicles.
appreciated!

My profile is showing in the car welcome screen on start up....it just doesn't seem to be working. I have assigned a key and locked/unlocked multiple times with this key but it doesn't seem to want to know about adjusting the seat to 'my' profile.

The car also appears to be unable to hold settings in other areas - such as allowing 3D external camera access.

Maybe I'm being stupid (wouldn't be the first time) but maybe this stuff should be more intuitive...like my f34.

As for the Careye, I can see why I was able to get this thrown in as part of the deal.......
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #9
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Flipping heck. Just been out and opened the car with the second key that has not been part of the setting up orocesmwhatsoever and strange things are happening. Looks like the second key may have somehow assigned itself to me with what I thought was 'my' key being a second, presumably 'guest' profile. I had expected to have to,create a new Connected account for the Mrs so the second key would have her profile.

My brain is fried now, will have another look in the morning. No doubt after waking up at 2am thinking about it.

My first car, a Hillman Avenger Tiger, wasn't this complicated.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 04:55 PM   #10
EngineCo345
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23’ M430 Coupe

My wife and I are struggling with this right now. The car keeps wanting to reset to my seating position when she is trying to get in
Appreciate 0