Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA What price did you pay for your M340i?

02-24-2023, 03:51 AM   #67
Sierra055
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 SSG, 2021 Audi SQ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younge View Post
What changes did you make? I’ve learned to close the menu because you will keep going back and forth 🥳
um, not much. Only the exterior colour, the interior colour, the trim finisher and option pack lol.

I kept looking at photos of tanzanite blue (my partners preference) and would see swirls and saw a couple of cars on the road that were really dirty. I'm really OCD and used to have to wash the only black car I've ever (will ever) owned at least twice a week.

So I chickened out and switched to skyscraper grey (my original preference) with black interior and carbon finisher. Also added the M sport pro pack now as I think the lighter colours look better with black trim, vs the blue which needed the brightwork for contrast.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 07:57 AM   #68
Bm12
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330i

We are looking to buy our first BMW and were wondering what would be the realistic price for a new or demo M340i LCI with M Sport Pro. We are eligible for a corporate discount.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 08:12 AM   #69
mw28
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI incoming

Quote:
Good news guys!
My car is now on a ship and recommend you check with your dealer to see if you made it.
Congrats, Younge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm2003 View Post
FYI: I just got news from the dealer that my car is on a different ship Tannhauser (https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/details/9731640) and is due to arrive in Melbourne on 30th March 2023, with an expected delivery date of mid April.

Not sure why our cars boarded two different ships all headed to the same location.

BTW: Do you have a date for when it is arriving in Melbourne port? You provided a date of 1-April of your ship arriving in Brisbane.

Congrats, Nm2003!

Mines still at port, with no shipping details
Soon hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 02:27 PM   #70
nm2003
2023 M340i LCI xDrive (on order)
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw28 View Post
Congrats, Younge!

Congrats, Nm2003!

Mines still at port, with no shipping details
Soon hopefully.
Won't be long hopefully.

BTW: I think we have derailed this thread with non pricing related posts

2023 (Australian Spec) G20 LCI M340 xDrive - Portimao Blue - Executive Pack, M Technology Pack, Carbon Fibre Trim
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 04:28 PM   #71
Younge
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Sorry op!

Please feel free to edit your original post with a list of prices.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 04:52 PM   #72
nm2003
Rep

Quote:
Sorry op!

Please feel free to edit your original post with a list of prices.
Lets leave our earlier posts alone. The information regarding how to track shipments was useful for others.

I might start a new post for cars arriving in April 2023.

Regardign pricing. The price for my Jan 2023 build M340i (options in my signature) was $112k.
NOTE: This was negotiated prior to the price rise on 1-Dec-2022. I also qualified for Corporate Program (giving 3yr free servicing). Not sure if Corporate Program gave me extra discounting or just my great negotiating skills.

PS. I expect I won't get much of a discount on BMW ACE 3.0, tinting and possibly 50yr emblems, but will push for sharp pricing if they want to supply that on my car at delivery.

2023 (Australian Spec) G20 LCI M340 xDrive - Portimao Blue - Executive Pack, M Technology Pack, Carbon Fibre Trim
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 05:57 PM   #73
AD75
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i (soon), Nissan 370Z

Hi guys,

I'm new here so apologies in advance for any breaches of etiquette :P

I'm considering buying an M340i. I'm weighing it up against an Audi S5 sportback... I was planning on the Audi, but they don't have one in stock for me to test drive yet. So while I'm waiting I went to look at an M440i to cross shop that. I did not care for the styling of the M440i, but on the way out of the dealer the sales guy showed me the M340i and that was much more to my liking. I gave it a test drive and pretty much fell in love with it (as in "holy crap this drives better than any car I've driven in my life"), so now it seems like the most likely option. The Audi will have to be truly spectacular to not just be better than the BMW but better by a great enough margin to justify the higher price, given the BMW fully optioned costs slightly less than the Audi before any options.

So regarding pricing, I'm in Adelaide and according to carsales the starting drive-away price for one of these (in the basic white colour) is $116,628.

Using that as a starting point, and then adding options (probably most/all of them ) according to the price list the dealer gave me...

Base price: $116,628
Skyscraper Grey colour: $2,000
Executive package: $2,000
M Sport Pro package: $2,800
M Technology package $800
Carbon fibre interior trim: $1,200

That comes to a total $125,428, I'd want to get window tint as well so add whatever that costs. I'm pondering the LED door projectors and maybe the M Performance logos to go with them even though they're kind of stupid (or perhaps because they're kind of stupid, but it's the kind of stupid that appeals to me :P). But not sure of the price of those, so will leave them off this calculation.

I've never owned a BMW and haven't bought a car in 10 years (been driving a Nissan 370Z which I bought new in 2012), so I'm not sure how much scope there is for discounting with BMW's at the best of times, and I haven't tried buying a car in the COVID / post-COVID era.

So assuming $125,428 as the official listed price and assuming they don't have this spec in stock so will be a factory order, what kind of discount could / should I realistically expect to get? Obviously I don't want to get bent over on this, but nor do I want to walk away from an offer they make me if it actually turns out to be pretty good in the context of what other people are paying. In my head I'm thinking ideally $115,000 - $117,500 I would be pretty happy with. Would that be realistic? Too ambitious? Not ambitious enough?

I'm going to be away / busy most of March (and Audi say they should have the S5 in for me to test in late March / early April), so probably looking at late April or May to sign a contract. Am I better off waiting until late June towards end of financial year as some people suggest you should do when buying a car, or is that an old wive's tale and makes no difference and I might as well go ahead in May?

Last edited by AD75; 03-02-2023 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 02:49 AM   #74
Sierra055
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey, nice build! That's exactly the spec i've ordered.
Your range is pretty much spot on based on my experience. I had to push pretty hard to get to that, but it's definitely doable. Plus, I believe on road costs in SA are lower than those here in Vic.

I haven't driven an S5 for a few years, but I did have the opportunity to drive an RS5 hard at Phillip Island a few months ago and they're a great car. IMO, the Audi's (again comparing RS3/5/6 which i've had solid seat time in and S3 which I own) handling is firmer and sportier than the M340i. My main observation driving the M340i pretty hard on some fast back roads is that the rebound feels like it needs to be dialled in a bit more as on multiple occassions I found it bouncing mid corner which didn't feel great, but it's a nicer ride day to day. I plan on installing some Dinan springs as a few people have mentioned this has improved the ride.

My only thoughts on the S5 though are that it's getting a little long in the tooth and the interior feels dated IMO. But if that doesn't bother you, they're a very capable car (coming from someone who has two other S cars).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 02:51 AM   #75
Sierra055
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also worth noting that if you're able to purchase the car in a business name, you'll get 3 years basic servicing included too.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 03:09 AM   #76
nm2003
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra055 View Post
Also worth noting that if you're able to purchase the car in a business name, you'll get 3 years basic servicing included too.
I got the 3yrs free servicing via the corporate program, but need to be a full time employee of a large employer that is registered for the BMW corporate program and need a letter from HR confirming you are a full time employee.

Fairly confident it doesn't apply to sole traders or small employers.

But check with the dealer. He can look up the company and tell you if they qualify.

Think you can get slightly higher discount.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 03:53 AM   #77
nm2003
Rep

Quote:
I got the 3yrs free servicing via the corporate program, but need to be a full time employee of a large employer that is registered for the BMW corporate program and need a letter from HR confirming you are a full time employee.

Fairly confident it doesn't apply to sole traders or small employers.

But check with the dealer. He can look up the company and tell you if they qualify.

Think you can get slightly higher discount.
BTW: think you only get a max of two free services during the first two years so not that big a deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 05:51 PM   #78
AD75
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i (soon), Nissan 370Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra055 View Post
Hey, nice build! That's exactly the spec i've ordered.
Your range is pretty much spot on based on my experience. I had to push pretty hard to get to that, but it's definitely doable. Plus, I believe on road costs in SA are lower than those here in Vic.

I haven't driven an S5 for a few years, but I did have the opportunity to drive an RS5 hard at Phillip Island a few months ago and they're a great car. IMO, the Audi's (again comparing RS3/5/6 which i've had solid seat time in and S3 which I own) handling is firmer and sportier than the M340i. My main observation driving the M340i pretty hard on some fast back roads is that the rebound feels like it needs to be dialled in a bit more as on multiple occassions I found it bouncing mid corner which didn't feel great, but it's a nicer ride day to day. I plan on installing some Dinan springs as a few people have mentioned this has improved the ride.

My only thoughts on the S5 though are that it's getting a little long in the tooth and the interior feels dated IMO. But if that doesn't bother you, they're a very capable car (coming from someone who has two other S cars).
Thanks.

Yeah, I don't mind what I've seen of the S5 interior. The thing I don't love about the M340i is the user interface is leaning a little too hard into the futuristic high tech theme with the giant screen and lack of physical controls and little shift switch etc. So I think I may actually prefer the S5 interior. S5 also has the edge in practically with the hatchback and huge boot.

But it's also a fair bit more expensive and will have its work cut out trying to match the drive of the M340i. I really liked the automatic transmission in the BMW, in particular. This is coming from someone who has been driving for 30 years and owned only manual cars in that time. I've driven a few autos I could tolerate, but this is the first I've ever actually enjoyed. From what I've read, the version in the Audi is not quite as sharp and responsive as the BMW, but I'll wait until I drive it before passing judgement.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 05:00 AM   #79
Sierra055
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good points. I've had a couple of Macan GTS's which had all physical buttons and I loved them. There was a button for each function and you knew exactly where it was. You'd just drop your hand to it without even moving your eye. But most people would look in the car and say "wow, there's sooo many buttons". Trying to press a button on a touchscreen I find (personally) to be more distracting and less accurate. The Audi interface is quite good and the virtual cockpit IMO is better than the BMW. But the menu structure can be very confusing and finding settings for some things can be hard (some are in settings like the virtual cockpit while others are in car settings). You do get used to it though obviously.

The DSG in the Audi is amazing. Lighting quick and pretty intelligent, but like you, until the last 10 years I also drove manuals (still have a gated manual car i'll be buried in). Personally I manually shift using the paddles as I find the automatic mode to be too eager to get into lower gears to save fuel while sport mode tends to keep rev's too high. The ZF gearbox in the G20 is extremely good for a torque converter gearbox.

Both are no doubt great cars and you'll really want to drive both. But to your original question, like i said, a great build and I think your negotiation goal is bang on. Let us know which way you go!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 12:36 AM   #80
Younge
Private
Rep

It’s worth pointing out that the b58/zf combo should be at the heart of your decision for a m_40(b58).

Those who have owned one previously can’t move on from them. It’s the best daily/street set up. It just works.

All the other stuff like lack of buttons isn’t a deal breaker when all you have to say is “hey bmw”.

I understand why people are concerned but I’m all for keeping my hands and eyes engaged in driving.

Once you go b58….. you don’t go back. Not for street anyway. - come at me m2/m3 owners
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i142.50
      03-11-2023, 03:36 AM   #81
echo_base
Registered
Rep

Hi Everyone.

I'm a first-time BMW owner, or at least will be once the car arrives. I ordered an M340i in Brooklyn Grey with the Shadowline bits and pieces. Also opted for the all-black wheels.

In terms of price, no charge for my (limited) selection of options plus a few thousand off on top of that. Quite happy with the price, but I probably could have gone harder.

I do have a question, though. I'm on the dreaded Order Status 047, but I have a production number and a production date (late July). I'm just wondering if I can have much confidence in that date until the code is changed?

Buying BMWs is a bit different to buying a Mazda!
Appreciate 1
baturbo47.50
      03-11-2023, 04:13 AM   #82
nm2003
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_base View Post
Hi Everyone.

I'm a first-time BMW owner, or at least will be once the car arrives. I ordered an M340i in Brooklyn Grey with the Shadowline bits and pieces. Also opted for the all-black wheels.

In terms of price, no charge for my (limited) selection of options plus a few thousand off on top of that. Quite happy with the price, but I probably could have gone harder.

I do have a question, though. I'm on the dreaded Order Status 047, but I have a production number and a production date (late July). I'm just wondering if I can have much confidence in that date until the code is changed?

Buying BMWs is a bit different to buying a Mazda!
Congrats on ordering your car. Your dealer would of given you estimated dates.

There are many statuses past 047 that impact build date, ship allocation date, port delays etc.

Your car could be built but then sit at the port for a.month waiting to be allocated to a ship.

The best indication for determining when your car will arrive is once you get allocated to a ship and then look up the shipping schedules for your allocated ship.

Even then, there could be delays with the ship and further delays offload the car at the destination port, including getting your car compliance plated.

NOTE: There are long delays at Australian ports.

You are also at the mercy of any lead times at the dealer depending on their pre-delivery backlogs.

Factor 2 weeks from when the ship offloads your car at the destination port.

Read up the info in this link that has all the statuses after 047:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/07/31/how-to-track-my-bmw-order/

Also.check.earlier replies on this post on how to check ship positions and schedules.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 10:23 PM   #83
echo_base
Registered
Rep

In some rather good news, my production date has moved forward to 14/04/23 and I'm in status 150.

I also have a VIN number, which would seem to indicate that my M340 is coming from Germany. I thought all the 3 series were built in Mexico these days?

Excitement building!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 03:23 AM   #84
nm2003
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_base View Post
In some rather good news, my production date has moved forward to 14/04/23 and I'm in status 150.

I also have a VIN number, which would seem to indicate that my M340 is coming from Germany. I thought all the 3 series were built in Mexico these days?

Excitement building!
Unless you have some special paint or some special arrangement, Australian delivered 3 series are built in Mexico. Ignore the VIN.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 10:13 AM   #85
DNB_Perth
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Unless you have some special paint or some special arrangement, Australian delivered 3 series are built in Mexico. Ignore the VIN.
Interesting... my 2020 was built in Germany.

Though, one is not necessarily better than the other, both plants should build them according to BMW Spec's with the same processes.
MHD Stage 2 Tune, xHP Stage 3, Active Autowerke Catted Downpipe, MST Cold Air Intake, H&R Lowering Springs, Spacers, M Performance Lip and Side Skirts, Exhaust Valve Mod, Blackvue 900S Dual Dashcam and Blackvue Backup Battery
If you're in Perth, feel free to join our Facebook group "Perth BMW G20 Group"
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 03:41 PM   #86
nm2003
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNB_Perth View Post

Though, one is not necessarily better than the other, both plants should build them according to BMW Spec's with the same processes.
Ask the dealer you ordered your M340i from to get a definitive answer?

The VIN number is not a reliable indicator of which country it's built in.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 10:22 PM   #87
echo_base
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Ask the dealer you ordered your M340i from to get a definitive answer?

The VIN number is not a reliable indicator of which country it's built in.
I've confirmed mine is coming from Mexico, so you were right. If you have the number "8" in the eleventh position in your VIN, then it's a Mexico build.

Still excited.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 11:53 PM   #88
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNB_Perth View Post

Mine was built in Germany too.
I think you will find all M340's that came to Australia before the end of 2020 are German built.
You can always tell by the VIN the actual plant that assembled them.
The 11th digit tells you the plant.
Cars (M340'S) built in Munich will have F ( eleventh digit), Mexican built should R. I think in later years maybe different as the list is from 2003.
My car has F

11th digit –

BMW Plant Code
A Munich, Germany
B Dingolfing, Germany
C Dingolfing, Germany
D Dingolfing, Germany
E Regensburg, Germany
F Munich, Germany
G Munich, Germany
J Regensburg, Germany
K Munich, Germany
L Spartanburg, South Carolina. US
M Spartanburg, South Carolina. US
N Roslyn, Pretoria. South Africa.
P Regensburg, Germany
R Mexico
T Great Brittain
U Great Brittain
W Austria?

Last edited by GTR33R; 03-19-2023 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0