Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions I can't find used well-optioned M340i

05-02-2024, 08:48 PM   #1
LopsidedLand
Rep
Drives: No BMWs yet

I can't find used well-optioned M340i

I've been searching for almost 3 months, regularly checking BMW's site, Carmax, and Car Gurus for a fully loaded M340i, which is starting to seem impossible to find

-Used, $60k or less
-Active Driving Assistant Pro and parking assist package
-Adaptive M Suspension
-Heads up display and Harmon Kardon stereo
-Cognac interior
-Tanzanite blue or black exterior, but at this point I might take whatever and just get it wrapped

The biggest issues seem to be that both the Adaptive M Suspension and Driving Assistant Pro are individually hard to find, and almost impossible to find combined. (maybe they were cut out from a lot of models due to COVID shortages - ?).

Then add in my desired colors and I literally have not seen a single car for sale anywhere in the USA that is what I'm looking for.

At this point, it seems like I could either
A) Go to up to a 5 series like a M550i instead because those seem to usually be better-optioned than 3 series
B) Build a new M340i, which would run almost $70,000 for my desired build and approach M3 territory
C) Buy another beater and keep waiting for the perfect M340i to pop up
D) Give up on BMW and go with an S5 or Genesis G70 or something

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever been in a similar situation, and if you waited or just ended up settling for something close enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 09:06 PM   #2
Eric_M328i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i (Build)

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.14]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LopsidedLand View Post
I've been searching for almost 3 months, regularly checking BMW's site, Carmax, and Car Gurus for a fully loaded M340i, which is starting to seem impossible to find

-Used, $60k or less
-Adaptive M Suspension
-Cognac interior
-Tanzanite blue or black exterior, but at this point I might take whatever and just get it wrapped

The biggest issues seem to be that both the Adaptive M Suspension and Driving Assistant Pro are individually hard to find, and almost impossible to find combined. (maybe they were cut out from a lot of models due to COVID shortages - ?).

Then add in my desired colors and I literally have not seen a single car for sale anywhere in the USA that is what I'm looking for.

A) Go to up to a 5 series like a M550i instead because those seem to usually be better-optioned than 3 series
B) Build a new M340i, which would run almost $70,000 for my desired build and approach M3 territory

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever been in a similar situation, and if you waited or just ended up settling for something close enough.
When I was searching for one last year I got fed up after months of terrible pricing, nonnegotiable clown dealers and not finding the options I like.

Ended up ordering a fully Loaded 23 M340i and was the best decision I made. No regrets at all and im glad I went this route.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 09:42 PM   #3
wolvesatthedoor
UFO Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:

-Used, $60k or less
-Adaptive M Suspension
-Cognac interior

Honestly, that spec at that price range is going to be incredibly difficult to find if it has to be that specific. Eliminating the Active Driving Assistant Pro requirement could make it less of a needle in a haystack type scenario. I wouldn't even really factor the 2022 model year heavily into your search because many options were not available at random times during that particular model year due to the chip shortage. I couldn't even get the H&K stereo on mine and it's a spring 2021 build for the 21 model year for frame of reference. If you are dead set on those specific options/package list, you would be far better getting an allocation for a new one and selecting those options on a custom build if you can financially do it. Otherwise, I fear it could be quite an extended wait.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 09:47 PM   #4
Plimmie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i & X3 M40i

Garage List
Why start a new thread, when you have already started one earlier in which there are two pages of responses on the same question?
      05-03-2024, 07:27 AM   #5
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M328i View Post
When I was searching for one last year I got fed up after months of terrible pricing, nonnegotiable clown dealers and not finding the options I like.

Ended up ordering a fully Loaded 23 M340i and was the best decision I made. No regrets at all and im glad I went this route.
Same here. I searched for all of 2023 and we ended up ordering an M340i spec'd like we want in November. I got a small discount off MSRP at the time but perhaps could get an additional 1-2% off now, but I'm glad we ordered when we did.

In our case my wife really wanted a 6MT and of course the M340i isn't available with one, so we initially were planning on ordering a G80 6MT spec'd like we want. My main worry was actually highway driving and long trips since the G80 6MT sings along at 3k rpms or more at cruising speeds (like our M2C). Additionally, the S58 is not such a great engine in daily driving, below 3k rpms or so, with the 6MT (i.e. without the excellent ZF8 short lower gears and auto shifting, etc). If you're demanding performance out of it and keep it on the boil, it's a fantastic engine, but in daily driving, rpms below 3k, etc, it's inefficient and down substantially on torque output compared to the B58. After some back-to-back driving, the M340i with its excellent ZF8 actually became appealing more than I ever thought prior.

Turns out if you look at C&D instrumented acceleration testing, the M340i vs the 6MT G80 M3 is very close at least up to 100mph and they actually had it 0.1 faster to 60mph than the M3 (3.8 vs 3.9). The 0-100mph times were 9.4 for the M340i and 9.2 for the M3. So that part coupled with the other aspects of the B58 (low end torque and outstanding efficiency) kind of sealed the deal for the M340i. Essentially nobody I've talked to about this performance comparison (i.e. at CCA club events, so BMW enthusiasts) has any idea how close the M340i and 6MT G80 M3 are in acceleration (at least up to 100mph; if you look at 100-150mph the M3 finally shows its higher power muscle more clearly). Of course if you compare it to the M3 Comp with the ZF8, the M3 is a heck of a monster beast and dramatically faster than the detuned 6MT version.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2024, 08:25 AM   #6
infinite_creations25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

It will be quite difficult to find a used m340i when you are that specific in options and exterior/interior colours. I got lucky last January and found a loaded (dap, ztk, parking assist plus, premium pkg, laser lights, adaptive, merino seats) 2020 m340i in portimao blue with 25k miles and immediately bought it. I've been keeping an eye on the market ever since and haven't come across another one.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 09:17 AM   #7
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
While you may be in M3 price territory, you'd have a bare-bones M3 (not saying that sucks by itself, but you have options you want).

It is difficult to find one with all the options. You may have to decide if waiting for one is worth it, or if getting a car exactly how you want is worth paying the new car premium. There were so many options in and out of availability during 21-23. Buy mine so I can get an M3 and make a bad financial decision
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2024, 09:26 AM   #8
koopa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Does it have to be an M340i? If you would be fine with a coupe, you can find plenty of well optioned M240i's (won't have active drive assist pro though) and they all include adaptive suspension in the US. I've also had better luck finding well equipped M440i coupes over the M340i, but it's still a crapshoot. Or if you do need the 4 doors, there's the M440i GC which for the most part seem to be fairly well optioned. There just aren't as many of them out in the wild.

If you want all that in the M340i you're probably going to have to order one.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 09:34 AM   #9
darthry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

Quote:
As others have said, you’d be in base M3 territory. So you’d miss a lot of features you may like.

As a datapoint: like you, I wanted DAPP, Parking Assistance Package, and Adaptive M suspension. I couldn’t find new or used with these options together. So I ordered one.

Added power tailgate, hk surround sound, premium package, dravit grey, drive recorder.

My price before taxes and incentives is $64k, which seems fair in this market.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 10:30 AM   #10
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
Does it have to be an M340i? If you would be fine with a coupe, you can find plenty of well optioned M240i's (won't have active drive assist pro though) and they all include adaptive suspension in the US. I've also had better luck finding well equipped M440i coupes over the M340i, but it's still a crapshoot. Or if you do need the 4 doors, there's the M440i GC which for the most part seem to be fairly well optioned. There just aren't as many of them out in the wild.

If you want all that in the M340i you're probably going to have to order one.
Watch out for decontented 2022 M440i Gran Coupes. I hunted that market from late 2022 through late 2023, and I ran across a number of otherwise nice (and in right color) M440i's, but they had manual front seats. One dealership (Sale BMW in NC) tried to sell one such M440i GC for ages and then put it into their service loaner fleet. Another attempt was made at selling it with maybe 7k miles on it, but they ended up auctioning it away. Even if you don't mind manual seats, resale will likely be an issue for many people.

2022 M340i's are common not to have passenger lumbar adjustment and something else that I can't recall right now.

Using mdecoder or another option decoding site is well worth your time when hunting used BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 02:25 PM   #11
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
2022 M340i's are common not to have passenger lumbar adjustment and something else that I can't recall right now.
I created a list of periodic missing items during chip shortage:

1. Laser lights
2. Passenger lumbar support
3. Power seats (yeah, manual seats were a thing in a 3 series...)
3. Wireless charging
4. Digital key
5. iDrive7 touch screen
6. iDrive touch knob
7. Adaptive suspension
8. Harmon Kardon
9. Driving Assistance Professional
10. Power tailgate
11. Tailgate kick sensor

That's what I recall.

Last edited by B58-M340iX; 05-04-2024 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
CSBM52756.00
      05-03-2024, 04:29 PM   #12
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

What do you mean near $70k and approach M3 territory? A barebones manual M3 that drives worse as a daily and has a similar performance in a straight line anyway? Or a used M3 that's been driven like it's been stolen? How are those even comparable to a new M340i? I don't see it, really. Have you checked the price of a brand new full spec M3 Comp xDrive?

Also, if you'd be inclined to give $60k for a CPO then how come you're not willing to go 15% extra for a brand new car?

Seems like a very easy choice, to me at least. I'd either settle on a cheaper M340i that doesn't have all the bells and whistles (wanting an adaptive suspension is understandable but why be so dead set on Driving Assist Pro?), with the sole idea of saving up money and therefore not caring that it's not the perfect spec, or just straight out go ahead and spend the little extra on a custom build.

P.S. The S5 is due for a model change so in a sense it's almost a full generation behind the bimmers and it shows. And the Genesis is not German and is therefore a whole different kind of beast. It's funny that you mention those but not the M440i GC. It's a fantastic vehicle, if not even a better one, so your options pool should be even larger.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 05:06 PM   #13
Eric_M328i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i (Build)

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.14]
Quote:
Same here. I searched for all of 2023 and we ended up ordering an M340i spec'd like we want in November. I got a small discount off MSRP at the time but perhaps could get an additional 1-2% off now, but I'm glad we ordered when we did.

In our case my wife really wanted a 6MT and of course the M340i isn't available with one, so we initially were planning on ordering a G80 6MT spec'd like we want. My main worry was actually highway driving and long trips since the G80 6MT sings along at 3k rpms or more at cruising speeds (like our M2C). Additionally, the S58 is not such a great engine in daily driving, below 3k rpms or so, with the 6MT (i.e. without the excellent ZF8 short lower gears and auto shifting, etc). If you're demanding performance out of it and keep it on the boil, it's a fantastic engine, but in daily driving, rpms below 3k, etc, it's inefficient and down substantially on torque output compared to the B58. After some back-to-back driving, the M340i with its excellent ZF8 actually became appealing more than I ever thought prior.

Turns out if you look at C&D instrumented acceleration testing, the M340i vs the 6MT G80 M3 is very close at least up to 100mph and they actually had it 0.1 faster to 60mph than the M3 (3.8 vs 3.9). The 0-100mph times were 9.4 for the M340i and 9.2 for the M3. So that part coupled with the other aspects of the B58 (low end torque and outstanding efficiency) kind of sealed the deal for the M340i. Essentially nobody I've talked to about this performance comparison (i.e. at CCA club events, so BMW enthusiasts) has any idea how [...]
Ha thats nice the wife wanted a 6mt. Honestly its good you ordered when you did I dont think its that big of a difference.

Although the s58 is an absolute monster of its own,
I agree, the B58 ZF8 combo for daily driving and fun is unbeatable due to its nice and fluid power delivery. Also packs an absolute punch when you step on it. Lets not forget the sound which might be slightly better than the s58 from some videos iv seen.

Thats interesting though I didnt know how close the the M340 and M3 really are in terms of acceleration.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52756.00
      05-03-2024, 07:07 PM   #14
pmc123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i

I just saw a blue/cognac m340i with everything you want except adaptive susp in San Jose.

Driving Assistant Pro seems to be ultra-rare and I think it had something to do with the chip shortage.

I looked for months before I found something with Driving Assistant Pro. And you can't trust the ads because they often lie about having ACC, you have to look at the pic of the steering wheel or do a VIN lookup.

https://www.stevenscreekbmw.com/cert...d88181a163.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 09:56 AM   #15
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Driving Assistant Pro package is rare. Like 5% of M340i/M440i have this option. I have yet to see one on the lot available for sale with this package. The only way I got it was to order a car with it.

You'd probably be better off just ordering a new one at that price.
      05-04-2024, 07:08 PM   #16
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M328i View Post
Ha thats nice the wife wanted a 6mt. Honestly its good you ordered when you did I dont think its that big of a difference.

Although the s58 is an absolute monster of its own,
I agree, the B58 ZF8 combo for daily driving and fun is unbeatable due to its nice and fluid power delivery. Also packs an absolute punch when you step on it. Lets not forget the sound which might be slightly better than the s58 from some videos iv seen.

Thats interesting though I didnt know how close the the M340 and M3 really are in terms of acceleration.
I much preferred the M3 6MT to my M340i for daily driving. M3 definitely had the better exhaust note.

One thing I really dislike on the M340i is the braking around town. Must be something to do with the mild hybrid and how the engine cuts off coming to a stop. It feels like the brakes grabbing power isn’t linear.
Appreciate 1
darthry31.50
      05-04-2024, 09:10 PM   #17
darthry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post
I much preferred the M3 6MT to my M340i for daily driving. M3 definitely had the better exhaust note.

One thing I really dislike on the M340i is the braking around town. Must be something to do with the mild hybrid and how the engine cuts off coming to a stop. It feels like the brakes grabbing power isn’t linear.
The brake feel at low speeds in the city is just unsettling in the M340i. The few test drives I’ve had, I never managed a smooth stop.

Were you ever able to adapt to smoother braking? Or just something you learned to live with?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 04:33 AM   #18
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthry View Post
The brake feel at low speeds in the city is just unsettling in the M340i. The few test drives I’ve had, I never managed a smooth stop.

Were you ever able to adapt to smoother braking? Or just something you learned to live with?
That was one concern I had with the M340i especially given a friend with a G80 was complaining about non-linearity in braking. However, at least on this 2024 M340i, braking is very smooth and easily modulate-able for perfectly smooth stops (i.e. in the last few feet you bleed off pressure to create a smooth, no jerk, stop). I was also concerned about braking during general driving having issues, but I've not found any so far, and I'm profoundly picky in that regard. So my worries were for naught.

A couple of weeks ago at the Perf Center, we did some hot lapping in M340i's (track buddies in same group), and I didn't experience any braking issues - i.e. transition from full throttle to full braking (left foot braking so creating a smooth transition), trail braking/bleeding off brakes on turn-in, etc, that whole process was controllable and seamless. FWIW these were 2024 M340i's also.
Appreciate 1
darthry31.50
      05-05-2024, 10:52 AM   #19
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Right?! I’ve gotten use to it, but it’s still tricky. Just seems inconsistent. When in sport setting it is better though. I think the active stop and go is disabled in sport mode.

Quote:
That was one concern I had with the M340i especially given a friend with a G80 was complaining about non-linearity in braking. However, at least on this 2024 M340i, braking is very smooth and easily modulate-able for perfectly smooth stops (i.e. in the last few feet you bleed off pressure to create a smooth, no jerk, stop). I was also concerned about braking during general driving having issues, but I've not found any so far, and I'm profoundly picky in that regard. So my worries were for naught.

A couple of weeks ago at the Perf Center, we did some hot lapping in M340i's (track buddies in same group), and I didn't experience any braking issues - i.e. transition from full throttle to full braking (left foot braking so creating a smooth transition), trail braking/bleeding off brakes on turn-in, etc, that whole process was controllable and seamless. FWIW these were 2024 M340i's also.
My M340i is a 2024 and the non linear braking is noticeable on mine. I have noticed that it’s more manageable in sport mode.
Appreciate 1
darthry31.50
      05-05-2024, 11:24 AM   #20
darthry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post
Right?! I’ve gotten use to it, but it’s still tricky. Just seems inconsistent. When in sport setting it is better though. I think the active stop and go is disabled in sport mode.
I suspected the auto start stop was a cause. I noticed that the engine cuts off at low speeds and the suddenly the brakes clamp down with the slightest pedal pressure.
Makes sense that sport mode alleviates some of it. I may end up using sport individual to over come this.

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 02:09 PM   #21
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I suspected the auto start stop was a cause. I noticed that the engine cuts off at low speeds and the suddenly the brakes clamp down with the slightest pedal pressure.
Makes sense that sport mode alleviates some of it. I may end up using sport individual to over come this.

Thanks for the input.
Nail on the head. Sure thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 08:00 PM   #22
salenad
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:

-Used, $60k or less
-Adaptive M Suspension
-Cognac interior

I'm in sales and have a Mineral Grey CPO 2021 M340i xDrive for sale
$58.9k
9k miles

all match your list minus color, Adaptive M Suspension and Cognac interior (this has black vernasca leather with blue stitching)

Personally I heard mixed reviews on the Adaptive M Suspension and if it's needed, I don't have it in mine and honestly the suspension is no complaints from me

Driving Assistant Pro
Harmon Kardon
Parking Assistant Package
Head Up

https://www.bmwmonterey.com/certifie...1c549fd5e1.htm
Appreciate 0