Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 1 month of my M340i - some thoughts

04-24-2022, 04:27 AM   #67
RGH
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S4 (B9)/BMW M340i(G21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post
eh so you're comparing Avant vs Sedan

the Avant will have more exhaust noise due to the boot -> passenger cell being one continuous giant resonating chamber. in a Sedan the exhaust is insulated from the passenger cabin by the boot. my G21 Touring I can hear the exhaust quite well after I coded off the ASD.
No, I've got a Touring now, I just had this video already.

Also, the video is taken from outside the cars, so it wouldn't make a difference.

I've also heard about said coding, so I'll definitely be giving that a try!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 10:55 AM   #68
RGH
Private
Rep

Made the coding changes and it sounds more natural for sure, but still lacks any exhaust character sadly.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 11:00 AM   #69
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGH View Post
Made the coding changes and it sounds more natural for sure, but still lacks any exhaust character sadly.
have you done the valve disconnect mod yet? That should make it louder all the time by leaving the valve open, might not make a huge difference but anything's better then nothing
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 12:12 PM   #70
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
have you done the valve disconnect mod yet? That should make it louder all the time by leaving the valve open, might not make a huge difference but anything's better then nothing
I have, yep. I did that before the other one. Helps make it sound better more of the time, but it's still lacking.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 01:02 PM   #71
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
I have, yep. I did that before the other one. Helps make it sound better more of the time, but it's still lacking.
I think it's just the OPF stuff that euro cars are required to have, regulators seem determined to make cars sound as muffled as possible over there
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 01:40 PM   #72
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
I think it's just the OPF stuff that euro cars are required to have, regulators seem determined to make cars sound as muffled as possible over there
you could be on the money.

mine does not have OPF
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #73
Paul D3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3

It’s horses for courses.

Someone doing the same review of their B9 S4 raising issues with numb steering the opposite problem of booming exhaust noise.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b9-platform-discussion-214/5-things-i-hate-about-my-2018-b9-s4-2919361/

In the old days a test drive before purchase would have helped spot these issues, but appreciate nowadays (covid) it’s not been easy.

I think you may need to sell it rather that try and make it something it’s not.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 02:50 PM   #74
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D3 View Post
It’s horses for courses.

Someone doing the same review of their B9 S4 raising issues with numb steering the opposite problem of booming exhaust noise.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b9-platform-discussion-214/5-things-i-hate-about-my-2018-b9-s4-2919361/

In the old days a test drive before purchase would have helped spot these issues, but appreciate nowadays (covid) it’s not been easy.

I think you may need to sell it rather that try and make it something it’s not.
You know, it's really funny you linked that article to me because I remember reading that with trepidation when I first got my S4. It's a nice walk down memory lane. Haha.

I managed to get a BMW Experience car for about 5 days shortly after ordering the M340I and I was tempted to cancel it. A lot of my issues are still the same. If you look at my post history, you'll see me highlighting them.

However, my issue was and still is, what could I get instead? Audi have stuck a horrid diesel engine in their latest S4 and I feel it's, at least partially, a ploy to coax more people into the more expensive RS4. This has been a really stupid decision by Audi as every dealership I've spoken to has said they can barely get anyone to buy them. The only other option was the C43. I've had Mercedes before and I really, really didn't get along with it. My wife also hated it. So, if I do sell the M340I at a huge loss after literally a month or two (a bigger loss than I would spend on making it the car it should be, and was until the 2021 refresh), I'd have absolutely nothing to replace it with. If the Alfa did an estate, I'd have been over the Giuila QV faster than a tramp on chips. I don't want an M3/RS4 because I find them too much in the other direction and I don't want to spend that much.

So what choice do I have?

No car will ever be perfect, and the M340I is a great, great car and I adore the way it looks. But there are things wrong with it. And the Exhaust character is absolutely one of them.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 02:58 PM   #75
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'd agree with you, but the pre-2021 refresh also had the OPF and sounded exactly how I want mine to sound.

I think the most likely thing is the engine map has changed due to the implementation of the mild hybrid system/through-life efficiency improvements. Shame, as I'd happily give the likely 2 or 3 MPG for some engine character.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #76
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
You know, it's really funny you linked that article to me because I remember reading that with trepidation when I first got my S4. It's a nice walk down memory lane. Haha.

I managed to get a BMW Experience car for about 5 days shortly after ordering the M340I and I was tempted to cancel it. A lot of my issues are still the same. If you look at my post history, you'll see me highlighting them.

However, my issue was and still is, what could I get instead? Audi have stuck a horrid diesel engine in their latest S4 and I feel it's, at least partially, a ploy to coax more people into the more expensive RS4. This has been a really stupid decision by Audi as every dealership I've spoken to has said they can barely get anyone to buy them. The only other option was the C43. I've had Mercedes before and I really, really didn't get along with it. My wife also hated it. So, if I do sell the M340I at a huge loss after literally a month or two (a bigger loss than I would spend on making it the car it should be, and was until the 2021 refresh), I'd have absolutely nothing to replace it with. If the Alfa did an estate, I'd have been over the Giuila QV faster than a tramp on chips. I don't want an M3/RS4 because I find them too much in the other direction and I don't want to spend that much.

So what choice do I have?

No car will ever be perfect, and the M340I is a great, great car and I adore the way it looks. But there are things wrong with it. And the Exhaust character is absolutely one of them.
It's a shame that Audi fitted the B9.5 S4/5 with a diesel in Europe (still a petrol engine in North America).
      04-25-2022, 02:04 AM   #77
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It's a shame that Audi fitted the B9.5 S4/5 with a diesel in Europe (still a petrol engine in North America).
It really is.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 07:07 PM   #78
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Hi all,

Received my M340i Touring just over a month ago and pretty happy with it overall.

My spec is pretty good by all accounts (especially given the current chip shortage). Gone for:
  • Portimao Blue
  • Black Leather with Blue Stitching
  • Aluminium Tetragon interior
  • Shadowline Plus
  • Red brake calipers
  • Comfort Plus Pack
  • Front M-Sport, sport seats
  • Driving Assistant/Live Cockpit Professional
  • Harmon/Kardon sound system

Thought I'd write up some thoughts on it. Hopefully there's a way of changing a few bits I'm not too fond of. Also interested in any cool things you can do via BimmerCode, so would appreciate direction to a list of stuff or identification of what I should buy (UK-based). Comparisons are based against my old Audi S4 B9 Avant. May come across negatively, but just more about my thoughts than anything. As always, negative stuff tends to stand out more than positive stuff.

Pros
  • Infotainment System is a big step up (apart from the lack of Android Auto integration right now).
  • MyBMW app is great.
  • Steering wheel feels great.
  • Steering feedback is pretty damn good in 'Comfort' mode.
  • Incredibly smooth power delivery.
  • Great, great gearbox.
  • Love the little glass hatch opening thing on the tailgate.
  • Growing more and more fond of the 'Digital Dash'.
  • Got the ConnectedDrive Professional and love it on a motorway.
  • Love, LOVE the way it looks. For the life of me, I can't understand why they stuck that god awful front grille on the 4 Series and the M3/M4. The colour is beautiful and the shadowline pack contrasts wonderfully.

Could be better
  • Miss the Google Maps feature on the Nav and Digital Dash. Dash always just feels very dark.
  • There's definitely more 'feel' but it also feels less planted. Could be me just getting used to it, and could be the run flats, but it sort of feels like it's driving on stilts/hard foam.
  • The buttons to change the drive mode are so stupid. It would be a million times better to have a single button that cycles through, say, 3 preset modes. Would be even better if it was on the stearing wheel.
  • I'm a big lad. I have big thighs. It's nowhere near as comfortable as the Audi (and I have the upgraded 'M' seats). It pinches my thighs (although it could get better) and doesn't have a massage function (first-world problems). Seems to have less space than the S4 too.
  • Exhaust note. This is the biggy for me. It sounds so, so dull. Even in sport mode. I've read you can make a change in BimmerCode, but not sure this will be sufficient. Simply no pops and bangs of note at all. Asked about an MPE from my dealer and they can't find anything about it. Do they exist on right-hand drive cars? Can someone provide a part number? Tempted with a visit to PCW, but haven't heard any feedback on the newer G20/G21s (which are those that seem to struggle).
  • Lack of Android Auto integration - although this is temporary.
  • The volume control should be the scroll wheel instead of the buttons on the steering wheel.
  • Lack of 'sync' botton for the AC. Having to go into the menus is a needless pain.
  • Despite it apparently being 'faster' than the S4 (not by a huge amount), it *feels* slower. I think this is primarily because of the lack of noise but also because the engine is just so, damn, smooth. There's just a little less savagery around its acceleration.
  • I ordered the extended storage pack and my car arrived without it. Apparently this was an issue in the build process as they'd run out of the parts, but I got no word of it being removed until it arrived and I noticed.
  • 'Sport' steering mode feels far too light, artificial, and skittish. Don't like it.
  • Can't figure out how to lock the car without using the key. 😂 There's got to be a way, but the usual wiping the outside of the door handle doesn't work.
  • The boot cover thing for the estate not being automated/linked to the boot door opening is a pain in the bum and a real oversight, IMO. Didn't realise how much of a nice feature that was in my S4 until now.

Any thoughts on what I can do for some of the areas of improvement?

Disconnect the right hand exhaust valve in the open position and delete the speaker fake engine noise and you will have a totally different experience with your new SPORTS Sedan. It's a must mod and very easy to do
      04-25-2022, 07:48 PM   #79
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

How is he going to cope when Boris bans petrol?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 02:24 AM   #80
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Moran View Post
Disconnect the right hand exhaust valve in the open position and delete the speaker fake engine noise and you will have a totally different experience with your new SPORTS Sedan. It's a must mod and very easy to do
Hey, I've already done this. It's certainly better, but it's still far too quiet for a sports version of a car. I have the Touring too, btw.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 02:26 AM   #81
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
How is he going to cope when Boris bans petrol?
😢 Don't make me think about it. I was about to buy an A6 TFSIe Avant but went with the M340I as probably my last throw of the petrol/fun car dice before it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 04:30 PM   #82
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

i think if you want loud just do a resonator delete won't cost much.

i love my M340i it doesn't feel like it wants to kill me like my B8.5 did
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 02:38 AM   #83
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
i think if you want loud just do a resonator delete won't cost much.

i love my M340i it doesn't feel like it wants to kill me like my B8.5 did
It's more the character than the loudness. I want a few more pops and bangs on the overrun and mid-range burble when accelerating. The loudness is OK, could be a bit louder, but I equally don't want to sound like a boy racer driving around in a 1.2 corsa with a big back-box on.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 03:51 AM   #84
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

if you can get what you paid for the m340i

get the C63 S, it has everything you're after - even the gear changes have theatrics
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 07:16 AM   #85
RGH
Private
Rep

Quote:
if you can get what you paid for the m340i

get the C63 S, it has everything you're after - even the gear changes have theatrics
I think the C63 S is probably a step above what I want in terms of daily use and cost (hence why I didn't go for the RS4 or wait for the M3). I also like the 4WD element because I live in the UK and it's regularly wet - just find it more usable.

Just wished it had that little exhaust character and more steering feel. Other than that, I really like it overall.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 12:28 AM   #86
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

A45 is pretty fancy pants too, more power than the M340i

Anyway saw this guy who chopped out 2 resonators and sounds like an easy 100 pound fix for you

Appreciate 0