Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK from whence did this eminate

01-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #1
Bumble
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series. Aiudi Q3

from whence did this eminate

Driving home today on a 'B' road and approaching a roundabout a message flashed up on the central display "WARNING. Loose Gravel Ahead" and there it was , 10 yards ahead on the road of the roundabout . A nice smattering of gravel probably spilt off the tailboard of a lorry. As soon as I exited the roundabout the message disappeared.

I do not think this message came via the sat nav. Was it the ahead camera which recognised the hazard ? perhaps associated with the collision avoidance programme . Also wonder why the message was not accompanied by a chime tone of some sort .
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Curious. I have Waze audio alerts running which gives me warnings of incidents, obstructions, Police and fixed/mobile camera sites with BMW Sat Nav on the display but I’ve never experienced anything like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
Driving home today on a 'B' road and approaching a roundabout a message flashed up on the central display "[COLOR="Magenta"]WARNING. Loose Gravel Ahead[/COLOR]" and there it was , 10 yards ahead on the road of the roundabout . A nice smattering of gravel probably spilt off the tailboard of a lorry. As soon as I exited the roundabout the message disappeared.

I do not think this message came via the sat nav. Was it the ahead camera which recognised the hazard ? perhaps associated with the collision avoidance programme . Also wonder why the message was not accompanied by a chime tone of some sort .
So there is a technology that allows a car that has experienced a road situation (eg. Ice, diesel on the road) to broadcast a warning to other cars following the same route. It has a name, can't remember it. I know BMW are involved but didn't think it was a live "thing" yet...
Appreciate 0