Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 07/2023.53 Software update

10-27-2023, 08:46 AM   #45
bodyman440
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Coupe

Software upgrade

A couple of days ago I had my wife's software updated on her 2019 330i
For some reason it has never been updated from new. I contacted BMW connected drive and they told me what to do. I tried what they told me but it didn't work. So had to book it into dealer. Dealer wanted £198 which I thought was a bit steep. When my wife collected car I only had to pay £98. Anyway I drove the car yesterday and noticed that the speed limit overrun on the head up display doesn't flash red anymore.
Took car back in this morning for dealer to check it out and after road test they say it only flashes in white and not red. Other cars apparently
only flash white. But I know it flashed in red. My M440i flashes red so it sounds like a lot of woful they are giving me.
Anyone else have this problem and does yours flash red on overspeed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 03:02 PM   #46
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLJ View Post
On my LCI, all 3 have been via its built in 5G connection. Sometimes my phone also starts downloading while the car is doing the same. So I don’t interfere with the car just in case it gets stuck and stop my phone from downloading.
FWIW, not all LCI have 5G. If you spec the 5G hotspot, you get a 5G data only connection for your devices to use, but BMW ConnectedDrive still runs over a 4G LTE network. It’s cheaper that way since things like BMW Assist will run over VoLTE. Going forward as 5G NR becomes more widely available, the actual system will run over 5G.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 03:31 PM   #47
narvi21
Rep
Drives: BMW 330eX

Garage List
2022 BMW 330eX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

So here's what Google Maps looks like in CarPlay and it's got some advantages over BMW Maps (and Waze and Apple Maps in some instances) in the following ways:

1. Arrow Display: They are always on and in the same position at all times.

2. Lane Guidance: Directly under the turn arrows the display tells you exactly which lane you must be in to make the next turn.

3. Live Alternate Routing: This is the big one, as you drive and as you cross over major roadways, a small speech bubble appears telling you at a glance what the win/penalty will be to go a different route. You see the popup, you see the grey line, and make a choice without having to swipe screens or hit any buttons.

4. Same Data and Routing as Waze: Google owns Waze and both maps use identical realtime data and routing logic. Waze has the speed trap feature (which I too run in the background) but only Google has the live routing with the speech bubbles.

5. Always-Dark Mode: A big win for those of us who like the black background at all times and don't want bright white maps during daytime. BMW Maps and Apple Maps don't offer this.
Thanks for toddwalton for the post on Google Maps in CarPlay. I never tested it, because I knew it is "the same" as Waze, and I happily used Waze not seeing a reason to change. However, now that it was mentioned, I tested it. And voila!, with Google Maps you are getting the guidance on the HUD! So for me it is the best of all worlds: reliable traffic info, beautiful graphics, HUD support. What else you need?
Thanks again!!!!
((because I tested Google Maps right after upgrading to the new software version, I realize I did not test Waze with the new software. Maybe that would also have the guidance in the HUD now??? )))
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1304.50
      10-27-2023, 03:44 PM   #48
narvi21
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 330eX  [10.00]
by the way, after installing the latest software, I had 2 small issues:
-I could not select the automatic time setting (even if I ticked the box, nothing happened)
-I could not get into the submenu on Climate Control Rules: was grey and could not be clicked on :
Name:  IMG_1990.JPG
Views: 1018
Size:  925.5 KB

After 2 days of driving, miraculously both have been solved today, like the RTTI for Mike330i.....

So now everything looks back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 06:12 AM   #49
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by narvi21 View Post
by the way, after installing the latest software, I had 2 small issues:
-I could not select the automatic time setting (even if I ticked the box, nothing happened)
-I could not get into the submenu on Climate Control Rules: was grey and could not be clicked on :
Attachment 3308865

After 2 days of driving, miraculously both have been solved today, like the RTTI for Mike330i.....

So now everything looks back to normal.
I do hope your settings, etc continue to work as expected.

My RTTI has continued to be extremely hit & miss. Generally I can do my 40 minute morning commute - with RTTI refusing to take part . However, the opposite commute in the afternoon will have RTTI present as soon as the car starts

Unless I can guarantee that RTTI will not be working - there's no point going to the Dealer as the response would be the usual "we really need to see it showing the issue" - that I can fully understand.

Bit pissed that the issue occurred with latest RSU - now wish I had dismissed the upgrade

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 10:05 AM   #50
narvi21
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 330eX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330i View Post

My RTTI has continued to be extremely hit & miss....
Oh nooo!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 10:14 AM   #51
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330i View Post

My RTTI has continued to be extremely hit & miss.
All the more reason why I never upgrade: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Unless an update is introducing a glass-shattering feature I personally see no reason to risk updating because of the possibility of hitting new bugs.

As a general rule with any upgrades — I’d wait for a few months after release before considering an update; gives enough time to gauge reported issues from other users.
Appreciate 2
toddwalton1304.50
mermar139.50
      10-30-2023, 07:17 PM   #52
Jacko450
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i

potential fix for those that are stuck , will try it later and see if it works

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2044184
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 08:37 PM   #53
prjkthack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Is there a way to get a route preview when navigating on iD8?
Like a sidebar or something about distances and turns.
You can add the route preview widget to the ID8 screen. Is that what you are looking for?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 07:42 AM   #54
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prjkthack View Post
You can add the route preview widget to the ID8 screen. Is that what you are looking for?
Within the navigation screen? Like a dynamic preview of the turns coming up next?
What widget are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 09:40 AM   #55
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

Quote:
Within the navigation screen? Like a dynamic preview of the turns coming up next?
I don't understand what you mean by "dynamic preview of turns", but you can have a small version of the fullscreen navigation on your right side screen. I think this is what prjkthack is referring to. You can see it here:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 10:09 AM   #56
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
I believe he's referring to the 'arrows' which you can put on your speedometer display while the NAV screen is showing BMW Maps.

I still don't know why any of you use BMW Maps at all when CarPay or Android Auto gives you the vastly superior Google Maps as an option. The features BMW is missing were standard in 2008 when it comes to next turn, lane selection, and live alternate routing, makes zero sense that you choose to live without it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 10:23 AM   #57
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe he's referring to the 'arrows' which you can put on your speedometer display while the NAV screen is showing BMW Maps.

I still don't know why any of you use BMW Maps at all when CarPay or Android Auto gives you the vastly superior Google Maps as an option. The features BMW is missing were standard in 2008 when it comes to next turn, lane selection, and live alternate routing, makes zero sense that you choose to live without it.
Like I said in previous thread these features are there on iDrive 7 — no idea about iD8. I don’t know about vast superiority of Google Maps; BMW map works really well: provides arrows for the next turn and the one after that concurrently, shows lane change clearly, provides RTTI and even offers a pop up with alternate/faster route in real-time. As “superior” as Google Maps is, I don’t know if the arrows will still show up for Google maps while the screen is displaying apps. I’ve tried it with Waze before: once I leave CarPlay Screen the arrows don’t show up. Could be different for iD8. You’re also forgetting that some people, like me, value HUD so Google Maps or Waze won’t necessarily be a preferred choice for some users irrespective of the superiority of Google Maps.

This all boils down to personal preference and OP is simply asking how to get the arrows for iDrive map. I’m surprised it doesn’t show up in iD8.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2023, 11:09 AM   #58
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Like I said in previous thread these features are there on iDrive 7 — no idea about iD8. I don’t know about vast superiority of Google Maps; BMW map works really well: provides arrows for the next turn and the one after that concurrently, shows lane change clearly, provides RTTI and even offers a pop up with alternate/faster route in real-time. As “superior” as Google Maps is, I don’t know if the arrows will still show up for Google maps while the screen is displaying apps. I’ve tried it with Waze before: once I leave CarPlay Screen the arrows don’t show up. Could be different for iD8. You’re also forgetting that some people, like me, value HUD so Google Maps or Waze won’t necessarily be a preferred choice for some users irrespective of the superiority of Google Maps.

This all boils down to personal preference and OP is simply asking how to get the arrows for iDrive map. I’m surprised it doesn’t show up in iD8.

Let's go through these one by one because I must be missing something when I try BMW Navigation:

1. Live Re-Routing: On Google Maps, you get a pop up that says "4 minutes slower" and a different colored line indicating the route you could take alternatively and it happens right on the screen, right on the map, in real time without the need to click anything. It's just right there in your field of vision. BMW Nav doesn't have this, correct?

2. Next Turn w/Exit Name + Distance: On Google Maps, you have a dedicated space on the display that tells you "10 miles to your next turn", has an arrow showing you it's a "right turn", and says "Exit 5 - Garden State Parkway". This detail with arrows and plain English is on the screen all the time, doesn't move around, doesn't pop in and out. BMW Nav doesn't have this, correct?

3. Exit Lane Guidance: On Google Maps, you have a dedicated space on the display that shows you what lane to be in at the time of exiting the road as well as all the other lanes you will encounter. BMW Nav doesn't have this, correct?

4. Dark Mode: On Google Maps, you can set the screen to always be black all the time, no distracting light colors ever, even in daytime. BMW Nav doesn't have this, correct?

5. Overhead Map View: On Google Maps, you get a more overhead view so you can see a lot more streets and crossroads that are approaching. BMW Nav doesn't have this correct? They've got some 3D view with a blue sky and clouds as if you are flying a plane, yes?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 11:40 AM   #59
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Let's go through these one by one because I must be missing something when I try BMW Navigation:

1. Live Re-Routing: On Google Maps, you get a pop up that says "4 minutes slower" and a different colored line indicating the route you could take alternatively and it happens right on the screen, right on the map, in real time without the need to click anything. It's just right there in your field of vision. BMW Nav doesn't have this, correct?

2. Next Turn w/Exit Name + Distance: On Google Maps, you have a dedicated space on the display that tells you "10 miles to your next turn", has an arrow showing you it's a "right turn", and says "Exit 5 - Garden State Parkway". This detail with arrows and plain English is on the screen all the time, doesn't move around, doesn't pop in and out. BMW Nav doesn't have this, correct?

3. Exit Lane Guidance: On Google Maps, you have a dedicated space on the display that shows you what lane to be in at the time of exiting the road as well as all the other lanes you will encounter. BMW Nav doesn't have this, correct?

4. Dark Mode: On Google Maps, you can set the screen to always be black all the time, no distracting light colors ever, even in daytime. BMW Nav doesn't have this, correct?

5. Overhead Map View: On Google Maps, you get a more overhead view so you can see a lot more streets and crossroads that are approaching. BMW Nav doesn't have this correct? They've got some 3D view with a blue sky and clouds as if you [...]
Yes like I said those are there on iD7. Dark mode: never played with settings but that’s aesthetics and nothing to do with functionality. I don’t know about 5 though: never tested since I don’t care for overhead map view, I only care for directions, real time traffic information and rerouting. Exit lane always pops up on HUD and live cockpit: it shows what lane you’re in and an arrow indicating what lane you should be in
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2023, 11:44 AM   #60
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

5. Overhead Map View: On Google Maps, you get a more overhead view so you can see a lot more streets and crossroads that are approaching. BMW Nav doesn't have this correct? They've got some 3D view with a blue sky and clouds as if you [...]
  1. iDrive 8 will propose a faster route but only if it saves, I think, 5 minutes or more.
  2. There is a widget and gauge cluster option for next turn and distance to it.
  3. There is exit lane guidance. It even shows what lane your in with a dynamic arrow graphic to how many lanes you you need to move over for that exit.
  4. I don’t think you can set it to dark mode all the time. It’s all tied to the ambient light sensor.
  5. BMW Maps can automatically zoom in on major intersections when a move is coming up. Set it to Adaptive view. It’ll even show more detailed buildings and how many lanes in the 3D view of major highway interchanges like Apple Maps does.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2023, 03:10 PM   #61
prjkthack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
In this video you can see him pan over the screen to see the route preview widget you can add to the home screen.

Appreciate 1
NLJ217.00
      11-03-2023, 04:56 AM   #62
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

prjkthack - does this "Route preview" widget show anything other than compass? I haven't tried it when actually navigating, but in any other case it just shows an arrow pointing at the direction of travel.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 07:41 AM   #63
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

Took a photo to show how lane guidance works in the gauge cluster while on a highway:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
zlatko117.50
NLJ217.00
      11-10-2023, 12:11 PM   #64
PizzaKing27
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330i xDrive

I know this has been said... But man, my car just updated on Wednesday. I dislike the new font, but I can deal with it.. what I cannot stand is how the font is different in the dash vs the nav screens. It's looks like an after thought now. I actually might look into downgrading because its that annoying to me .

Look at the 4's. Very annoying change.

Appreciate 1
      11-10-2023, 12:15 PM   #65
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaKing27 View Post
It's looks like an after thought now. I actually might look into downgrading because its that annoying to me
Not possible to downgrade. I tell folks to disable automatic update - haven’t updated my car since 2021: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 04:05 PM   #66
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Not possible to downgrade. I tell folks to disable automatic update - haven’t updated my car since 2021: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
I guess it depends on your situation. Having had a G20 with DAP since 2019, I’ve seen how the software updates have improved that system over the years. Now if I didn’t have it, I probably could care less bout software updates.
Appreciate 0