Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Comparing the G20 M340i to the B9 S4

06-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #23
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
After reading your review I agree, very happy with my decision. We test drove the C43, S4 and M340. Each one had pluses and minuses but the M340 was the best overall, it was just the price we had issue with until they started discounting and once that was done it was a no brainer.

The C43 was nice but the ride was stiffer than we liked. A good friend of mine is a GSM at a Mercedes dealer and could have given us a nice deal but the ride quality really held me back. To me I thought this car looked the best out of the three.

The M340 had the best overall package though from the ride quality to the tech. The S4 virtual cockpit to me is way better than the BMW, the BMW virtual cockpit or whatever they call it looks a little cheesy and doesn't seem like it will age well but that is just me. It still baffles me that for a $66k MSRP I don't get a power tilt steering wheel. Each one of these cars had one little annoying thing that wasn't available and this was the one on the BMW that annoys me.
It surprised me that BMW didn't have power steering adjustments, but I think it was a smart move. Manual adjustment is much faster and more natural because you're not constantly assessing the position after moving it incrementally. You just place it where you want it and you lock it in. It also saves weight and cost by having far fewer steering wheel parts.

The only reason I can see it being a big deal is if you share the car with another person and like to have memory adjustment. I can't get my wife to drive my car so I get to keep it all to myself. Even then, the car we share does have memory steering wheel position and power adjustment, but we don't really change it.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #24
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

After the disaster we had with a new 2016 A6, the manner in which we were treated by Audi of America, failures of electronics, transmission, brakes, absurd denial of warranty on a car with 15k miles in 2018, we dumped it, took the loss and swore never to step foot in an Audi showroom again due to lack of honesty alone. Audi...never again no matter what they ever manage to build.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #25
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I was thinking about getting an S4 but after reading all of this, I'm glad I went with my 340i.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #26
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
It surprised me that BMW didn't have power steering adjustments, but I think it was a smart move. Manual adjustment is much faster and more natural because you're not constantly assessing the position after moving it incrementally. You just place it where you want it and you lock it in. It also saves weight and cost by having far fewer steering wheel parts.

The only reason I can see it being a big deal is if you share the car with another person and like to have memory adjustment. I can't get my wife to drive my car so I get to keep it all to myself. Even then, the car we share does have memory steering wheel position and power adjustment, but we don't really change it.
The exact reason you pointed out is why I want it. My wife and I swap our cars all the time and when I get into our IS350 which doesn't have memory seats or power tilt I can barely squeeze in and it drives me crazy (I know, first world problems). When we leased the car, I didn't think it was a big deal not having that but after about a month it started driving me crazy because we keep the seat and steering wheel in completely different positions. Most of our cars for years prior to this had both had power tilt and memory seats so it wasn't really noticed. At least the M340 has memory seats so that works for me.
Appreciate 0