Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions BMW Development Chief Has Had Enough of 3 Series Critics

10-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #89
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by khailuan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
Incongruent post.

First asking if BMW fans should only cheer whatever BMW does (like "real friends" who only say whatever you do is right, even when you're wrong) and then talk about BMW not appeasing to BMW fans but to the mass market.

Pick your line of argument and come back.
Thanks
1. You need to understand the difference between fan and purist before saying my post is incongruent. I'm a fan but not a purist, there's a difference.

2. Those are my thoughts and not arguments to a debate.

3. You can agree or disagree with my view. Either way i'm cool with it.
Thoughts are arguments to a debate, and this is why this is called a "debate forum".

But I see you have no argument and no wish to continue a debate, you just wanted to flame a little. And that's cool.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #90
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
“I do not want to hear that shit anymore.”

-- Well sir, we weren't the problem.
CLASSIC!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #91
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMV///M3 View Post
Just because it's supposed to be great might not justify the leasing figures. I for one would not pay $800 a month for a 3 series
who said it will be $800/month?
That's just my guess. With residuals being low and MF's going up I wouldn't be surprised. Also it's a first year model with high demand
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #92
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

After the E92 M3 was released what more was there to like about the E46? Absolutely nothing. Its also the worse sounding bmw to exist on the market.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #93
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
If he got the first thing wrong to the root, how can he possibly fix anything?

"Drive fast and relax and feel not going fast"

Wtf is this? The core of the complaints isn't the car not going fast enough. In fact, it's the completely opposite of that. When I'm going fast, I want to know I'm going fast. If One wanted to feel isolated while cruising at 90mph, that person could easily pick hundreds of other options available.

Someone please fire this narcissistic dickhead
Totally agree. What an idiot. And these are the people BMW has put in place to bring the soul back??

They don't get it - do they?
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      10-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #94
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quick thoughts:

Sometimes I wonder if the G20 whiners are real BMW fans.
When did it become "cool" to hate your favorite car brands' products?
Has this become a basher's forum?
Enough with the lexus rear end comparisons. Most of you wouldn't even buy one for its performance nor its driving dynamics since they're all inferior to BMW.
If you can't stop lamenting how BMW's new models can't compare to its cars (E30, E46 and E90) of the past then maybe you should stay in the past.
Times have changed and cars will too.
Do you think a company would revert back to its previous generation's technology such as isntalling hydraulic steering to replace electronic in new cars? Perhaps this generation's steering is not quite as good (tbd) but at least they're improving it constantly and eventually they'll get there.
You can't stop progress and companies certainly won't go backwards.
Stats have shown that people have grown in height and weight over the years.
It's logical for the 3 series to grow as well to a certain extent but they also have to look at what the competition does. Besides, it needs to make room for the upcoming 4 door 2 series to compete with the A3/S3 and CLA which BMW has missed out on this segment. Lastly, a recurrent complaint of the F30 was poor rear legroom.
So what if it's slightly larger and a tad heavier. It offers so much more in terms of technology, comfort, road composure with advanced differential and dampers. It obliterates the previous generations on performance. Also, its structure rigidity are said to be much improved.
It's baffling to me that people think they're cool by pointing out immaterial and subjective negative areas while they choose not to mention all the other improvements the car has over its previous generations. I sure wouldn't miss the waterpump failure and fuel pump problem in my E90. Yes the steering was more precise but I sure don't miss its stiffness and that unforgiving suspension with the slightest road imperfection. I also don't miss that backseat where no one can fit.
BMW will continue to make luxury cars and aim to reclaim its #1 crown. It will do so by ensuring its new 3 series will appeal to the massive market of luxury segment buyers and not by yielding to the BMW purists or enthusiasts. BMW has already thrown them a bone with the M2. So shut up, get an M2 or stay in the past.
Dude, I am a fan of my wife too. If the food is not good I would tell her. It doesn't mean I hate her...
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #95
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E21-myfirstlove View Post
We have to accept that the 'old' 3 series spirit is now the 2 series. Just got an M2C and lemmie tell you, the only thing I have driven that really, really reminds me of my old e46 323ci. Obviously more power better brakes etc, but the soul is spot on. Washed it for the first time yesterday, and this may sound kind of stupid and silly, but it washed just like my old E 46! However, will the 2 be around in a few years...
This is what I've been sayin.. the 2 is the 3 of yore
2 is 2 inches bigger than the e82.

It's also going to be FWD next gen, except the M240i up.

So lmao. Fun while it lasted
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #96
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbog2008 View Post
I was just thinking at this and wondering if they have addressed this tiny issue called driving pleasure that we look for in a car like 3 series. E90 in stock form was absolutely a blast to drive. F30 provides with a video game sensation not a road connection. If I am not mistaken it is drivers like us who enjoy this connection driver-car-road that played the PR role for BMW and gave the 3 series it's fame. Now we criticize the direction 3 series is going and we talk "shit like this". Well give us back the driving machine and "shit like this" is going to be a very positive shit.
Couldn't have said it better. The irony is that they don't really seem to get (or care, other than PR) about this 'tiny' issue called driving pleasure. Was a time when I would go on and on about the telepathic BMW steering to anyone that'd listen (and God knows how many friends/family I've steered to BMW) - once I drove the F30, it was all over. With the EPS, BMW killed the soul of the car they built their brand on.
Appreciate 1
GGG333603.50
      10-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #97
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

again... runflats or no?

10th time i am asking lol.
      10-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #98
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

again... runflats or no?

10th time i am asking lol.
      10-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #99
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupojava View Post
My E90 sounded like it the whole car was exploding driving over the smallest potholes. The LCI F30 is lightyears ahead of it in every way.
Something must have been wrong with yout E90.

The F30 (even the 2018) has dull, overboosted (and artificially heavy) steering in whichever mode you put it in. Not sure how you feel the F30 is light years ahead - a car without a soul, and widely accepted to the the car that took BMW furthest away from its 'ultimate driving machine' status...as can be seen accepted by BMW corporation also (all this story about how we are going back to our roots etc... - because with the F30, they went furthest away).
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      10-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #100
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quick thoughts:

Sometimes I wonder if the G20 whiners are real BMW fans.
When did it become "cool" to hate your favorite car brands' products?
Has this become a basher's forum?
Enough with the lexus rear end comparisons. Most of you wouldn't even buy one for its performance nor its driving dynamics since they're all inferior to BMW.
If you can't stop lamenting how BMW's new models can't compare to its cars (E30, E46 and E90) of the past then maybe you should stay in the past.
Times have changed and cars will too.
Do you think a company would revert back to its previous generation's technology such as isntalling hydraulic steering to replace electronic in new cars? Perhaps this generation's steering is not quite as good (tbd) but at least they're improving it constantly and eventually they'll get there.
You can't stop progress and companies certainly won't go backwards.
Stats have shown that people have grown in height and weight over the years.
It's logical for the 3 series to grow as well to a certain extent but they also have to look at what the competition does. Besides, it needs to make room for the upcoming 4 door 2 series to compete with the A3/S3 and CLA which BMW has missed out on this segment. Lastly, a recurrent complaint of the F30 was poor rear legroom.
So what if it's slightly larger and a tad heavier. It offers so much more in terms of technology, comfort, road composure with advanced differential and dampers. It obliterates the previous generations on performance. Also, its structure rigidity are said to be much improved.
It's baffling to me that people think they're cool by pointing out immaterial and subjective negative areas while they choose not to mention all the other improvements the car has over its previous generations. I sure wouldn't miss the waterpump failure and fuel pump problem in my E90. Yes the steering was more precise but I sure don't miss its stiffness and that unforgiving suspension with the slightest road imperfection. I also don't miss that backseat where no one can fit.
BMW will continue to make luxury cars and aim to reclaim its #1 crown. It will do so by ensuring its new 3 series will appeal to the massive market of luxury segment buyers and not by yielding to the BMW purists or enthusiasts. BMW has already thrown them a bone with the M2. So shut up, get an M2 or stay in the past.
On the contrary, you should be thanking enthusiasts like us (and Bimmerpost) for criticizing what we felt was BMW going away from being the ultimate driving machine - and BMW trying to go back to UDM roots with the G20. If not for us, you'd be driving a quicker Lexus - but having read your post, I don't think you'd have noticed.
Appreciate 3
      10-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #101
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
Incongruent post.

First asking if BMW fans should only cheer whatever BMW does (like "real friends" who only say whatever you do is right, even when you're wrong) and then talk about BMW not appeasing to BMW fans but to the mass market.

Pick your line of argument and come back.
Thanks
Agreed. Well, he's admitting that BMW will continue to build more luxiourious cars for luxury car buyers (and happy with that), and not for enthusiasts and purists - that clearly indicates his state of mind...not an enthusiast or purist - and not someone that enjoys driving pleasure. Clearly the segment that has spoilt BMW for the past few years, and what they are now trying to get away from.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #102
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Wow.. you know things are off the rails when you dismiss valid criticisms.

"First thing and this is for me the most important thing; you can drive fast and completely relaxed. You don't feel how fast you are."

I could not feel more different than this statement. I get this for the 5er but the 3? Especially for the sporty variants, isn't the whole idea to feel engaged and feel like you're moving fast? Otherwise we just keep throwing more hp and more tire at these cars and they're no fun at all despite being quick. Isn't feeling something the whole damn point?? Certainly conflicts with the back breaking suspension on the M branded models.
To me, you've just highlighted one of the big issues for BMW. Many customers do want a smaller Five in the Three. That cry is very evident in customer reviews of any BMW 3-series over the years. Even enthusiasts on this forum have commented they wish the F3x models were more like a smaller Five, and hope the G20 is built that way. More luxury, refinement, quieter, etc.

I imagine most of us know the more attention given to those sort of details, the tuning out of the 'negatives' in of NVH, we move away from the raw cars of yesteryear. Cars become more sterile to drive.

My current Five doesn't feel as fast as my last Three, often surprised by the turn of speed and capability through the twisties in the F11, but no drama like the E91. The built in refinement prevents that engagement. Does it make it a deficient car to drive? Objectively no. Subjectively, when feelings are included, so personal.

As to driving feel, we have a good example of this issue here in the UK with BMW vs. Jaguar models. Both the Jaguar competitors to the Five (XF) and Three (XE) are rated as a better drive, steering feel handling/comfort balance far better sorted.

Why don't BMW drivers move across to Jaguar? Users are after the best 'package', an extra layer of steering feel and slightly better handling, a very small part of that equation.

Just had an old UK motor magazine out, to look back at a group test including the BMW E46 saloon (sedan). For driving, an Alfa was rated the best driving car. But as we know the Alfa of the period was a user's nightmare, so not surprising the BMW rightly earned the best "allrounder". Yes, driving compromises, but best bet to own and drive.
Appreciate 1
otay826.00
      10-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #103
randomstriker
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 LCI 328xit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
BMW Development Chief Klaus Fröhlich says: “I do not want to hear that shit anymore.”
Seems to me he ain't so fröhlich (cheerful)!
Appreciate 1
sq86363.00
      10-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #104
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
To me, you've just highlighted one of the big issues for BMW. Many customers do want a smaller Five in the Three. That cry is very evident in customer reviews of any BMW 3-series over the years. Even enthusiasts on this forum have commented they wish the F3x models were more like a smaller Five, and hope the G20 is built that way. More luxury, refinement, quieter, etc.

I imagine most of us know the more attention given to those sort of details, the tuning out of the 'negatives' in of NVH, we move away from the raw cars of yesteryear. Cars become more sterile to drive.

My current Five doesn't feel as fast as my last Three, often surprised by the turn of speed and capability through the twisties in the F11, but no drama like the E91. The built in refinement prevents that engagement. Does it make it a deficient car to drive? Objectively no. Subjectively, when feelings are included, so personal.

As to driving feel, we have a good example of this issue here in the UK with BMW vs. Jaguar models. Both the Jaguar competitors to the Five (XF) and Three (XE) are rated as a better drive, steering feel handling/comfort balance far better sorted.

Why don't BMW drivers move across to Jaguar? Users are after the best 'package', an extra layer of steering feel and slightly better handling, a very small part of that equation.

Just had an old UK motor magazine out, to look back at a group test including the BMW E46 saloon (sedan). For driving, an Alfa was rated the best driving car. But as we know the Alfa of the period was a user's nightmare, so not surprising the BMW rightly earned the best "allrounder". Yes, driving compromises, but best bet to own and drive.
There's enough space in their lineup to make the next 3 closer to the 5, and the 2, the next 3. But they can't do that by making the 2 an FWD. Sure, most of today's buyers probably won't notice (I read somewhere that a BMW honcho said 80% of their buyers don't know if their car is FWD or RWD) - but to differentiate, and continue to build the BMW UDM image, BMW does need to go back to its roots - and from what I've read so for, the G20 seems a step in that direction.

Will pass judgement after I drive one.

Re Jaguar - nah....not for some of us. I bleed Blue/White.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #105
khailuan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW IX40 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte03carlo View Post
"Quick thoughts:

Sometimes I wonder if the G20 whiners are real BMW fans."

My point was not to bash BMW or the F30 but Klaus's statement.
"First thing and this is for me the most important thing; you can drive fast and completely relaxed. You don't feel how fast you are"
To me that's not how BMW is going to silence the critics.

My F30 does a lot of things. Good gas mileage, nice exterior/interior, nice engine/transmission, accurate steering, reliable and quick/fast.

But the feeling—> (steering and chassis)has to be address in the G20 in ordered to silence the critics.
When klaus made that comment "you don't feel how fast you are" I agree with you, I cringed too.

Coming from an E90 to F34, I must admit that the steering was definitely a letdown but it improved after installing the MPPK. I think chassis-wise for the new G20 based on BMW's statement that it is 25-30% more rigid and perfect 50/50 balance would indicate improvement over the F30. I'm hopeful though and I can't wait for the reviews !
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #106
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
This has to be bait. People here we're fans of good cars, which BMW used to make. Now they make big fat Camry competitors. They deserve the criticism. The DNA of the car has changed even if the badge is the same.
Define BMW DNA, remember many of us go back with BMW cars before some on this forum were even born.

I go back to 1970, 2000 New Class sedan.... the first BMW I have personal experience of. I'm amused at some of the statements on here, heard it all before, over and over.

BTW, the E9x models are only one 'snapshot' of modern BMW heritage, and they are not perfect by any means. Highly criticised cars, including by many long term BMW users.

Most get over all the negativities and get into the latest models.
Appreciate 2
khailuan110.50
530iDriver1707.50
      10-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #107
simnew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GranCoupe MSport

Stiffness translates into ride comfort because you don't get secondary oscillations from the body flexing and amplifying the original imperfection in the road surface. Simply physics. With a better platform, the suspension can work better and in a more pure way. Common knowledge and has been forever. But stiffness comes at a cost in money and or in weight.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #108
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
2 is 2 inches bigger than the e82.

It's also going to be FWD next gen, except the M240i up.

So lmao. Fun while it lasted
I'd only consider M240i or M2 anyway..
its no surprise what yer describing theyve been doing it at the F30 level..
that is.. provide one performance variant of the model series
then lobotomize the rest of the variants but slap the BMW shield and M logos on them all
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      10-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #109
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

I don't know how this car drives but for me it is the most Un-BMW looking car they have ever made. It has so many styling cues taken from the Japanese and Korean it's not even funny. And they have committed the sacrilege of copying the competition intead of staying true to BMW's core design elements. One just needs to look at Porsche to see design heritage done right.
scrammer420.50
530iDriver1707.50
Tornado1M1209.00
JTO245271.50
GGG333603.50
      10-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #110
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a 3 View Post
Something must have been wrong with yout E90.

The F30 (even the 2018) has dull, overboosted (and artificially heavy) steering in whichever mode you put it in. Not sure how you feel the F30 is light years ahead - a car without a soul, and widely accepted to the the car that took BMW furthest away from its 'ultimate driving machine' status...as can be seen accepted by BMW corporation also (all this story about how we are going back to our roots etc... - because with the F30, they went furthest away).
My F30 pre-LCI 335i was pretty boring. However I feel like my F30 340i has more soul than my E92 335is, which was lightyears ahead of my pre-LCI E90 328i. When the E9x first got released it runflats for the 3 series were a new thing and the ride was horrible, along with the pothole explosion sounds. It was a pretty well known thing back then.

The B58 engine is sublime. The 8AT is better than the DCT.

The more I look at the Paris auto show photos/videos, the more F30 just looks outdated compared to G20 now.
Appreciate 2
khailuan110.50
530iDriver1707.50