Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

03-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #441
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i touring g21

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKrill View Post
Someting is happening!

My dealer called today and BMW have instructed them to swap my front brake discs and calipers and mount vibration dampers. They say they have concluded it is the brake discs generating the vibrations and consequently the noise. They have ordered the parts but some are currently out of stock. But within a few weeks we'll know...
Glad to hear that. Do you know some case where that change has already been implemented?

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #442
McKrill
Rep
Drives: BMW G21, BMW Z3 M

The new parts were fitted last week Wednesday. i.e. new front M brakes (discs, calipers, pads) and a replacement vibration damper front right.

Slight improvement but not gone..., with the slightest surface coarsiness there is a bearing/resonance noice and slight vibrations in both steering wheel and floor.

BMW is saying it is probably due to M Sport chassie and 19" runflats and that a 3 can never be as silent as a 5...

I had an X1 as a loaner and the same noise was actually present sometimes.

Perhaps it is "normal"?

Anyway, I doubt BMW will put more efforts into my car. The only solution is to increase the H&K volume and live with it until the next car change I suppose.

However, I will pass by my dealer one of these days and see if they have a G20/21, with M brakes and 19" runflat and take it for a spin to compare.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2021, 06:33 AM   #443
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Thank you for the update.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #444
mattn55
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i

Hello,

I came across this topic as I believe I have a similar noise in my M340xi that I picked up 2 weeks ago. I would describe it as a sort of bearing/ wind howling noise that's coming from the passenger side when driving upwards of 20mph but most noticeable around 50mph.

I am curious if anyone has had any further updates or resolution. My car is currently with the dealer but so far they are saying it is just road noise. That doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
greekcs773.00
      07-04-2021, 05:30 AM   #445
dkozinets
Rep
Drives: 330i

Hey guys, I have the same issue starting from 60km/h. My car is G20 330i running on 18inch without any M stuff. I was in local BMW dealer and they didn’t find any issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 01:19 AM   #446
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

BMW cannot find the problem and basically we have no hope of resolving this issue at the moment, so just try to ignore it and enjoy your drive

BTW: In my case this summer the noise is basically gone after switching to summer wheels. But during the winter it was really noticeable. So still a mystery...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 07:58 AM   #447
Turboh
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330iX 2020

I too have had a similar mystery noise on my 2020 330iX. It occurred quite suddenly while driving onto an interstate ramp. It sounded like running on a rumble strip, with out the strong wheel vibration. It was very loud. I thought something was loose in the the sun roof. I stopped and checked the car all around and the roof. Nothing. Drove away and it all disappeared. It has not come back after driving a couple of thousand miles.
      07-22-2021, 01:28 AM   #448
MosquitoLT
Registered
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330iX

I have the same issue with my g21 330iX M-Sport. It was at the dealer several times, and apparently, the manufacturer knows about the defect. They have installed special microphones and tested the noise which is exactly as described earlier in this thread. Now the latest update is that they will try to test with some other rims and with "something" disconnected, they didn't reveal what it was. So let's see, but I have little hope that this will help
      07-22-2021, 05:22 AM   #449
Liamjay
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosquitoLT View Post
I have the same issue with my g21 330iX M-Sport. It was at the dealer several times, and apparently, the manufacturer knows about the defect. They have installed special microphones and tested the noise which is exactly as described earlier in this thread. Now the latest update is that they will try to test with some other rims and with "something" disconnected, they didn't reveal what it was. So let's see, but I have little hope that this will help
Hi all,

Found this thread after a noise that is driving me insane!

I have a 330d touring, and have had this noise since new (28 days ago!)

My car is currently with a main dealer, and the master tech is stating that it's "road noise". However, after owning previous BMWs (520d, m135, f30 330d, x3, and m135x). I've never heard this sound before and is different from the drone of road noise.

It also comes and goes depending on surface.

The master tech's I feel are fobbing me off but I'm in a position where their word is god. What's frustrating is I can't do an accompanied test drive to show them what noise I'm on about and they don't have the same vehicle in to do a back to back test drive to show it isn't there on another vehicle (which on my cousins 330d touring it isn't!)

Phone call with them this week has told me they are changing the wheels from another stock car to see if that changes anything, however I'm guessing it not do if it's to do with damping and vibration etc.

On another note I have one of their new x3s as a loan car and guess what? No grinding noise.

Really don't know if I can escalate this or what to do. But after a 1000 mile trip to Scotland the noise was akin to some sort of psychological torture every time I turned the stereo down, and because it's not H&K it doesn't even have the base to drowned it out at low volume! Haha!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #450
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

Most of us participating in this thread would say: been there, done that!

Just for clarity and comparison:
- M pack or not?
- Active dampers or regular?
- M sport brakes or regular?

Its more common on M pack with active dampers and M sport brakes. It may be noise caused by vibrations coming from the wheels and passed through the cabin by the strut brace (which connects the dampers struts/towers to the cabin, to improve stiffness, only present in M pack versions).

In my 330i Touring (M pack, active dampers and M sport brakes), the noise was reduced significantly when the strut brace was removed. But it was not possible to have a major improvement with the strut brace on. I have given up for the time being, waiting for some positive news coming from the factory headquarters. I am not willing to have my car being used as "guinea pig".
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #451
Liamjay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgoliv View Post
Most of us participating in this thread would say: been there, done that!

Just for clarity and comparison:
- M pack or not?
- Active dampers or regular?
- M sport brakes or regular?

Its more common on M pack with active dampers and M sport brakes. It may be noise caused by vibrations coming from the wheels and passed through the cabin by the strut brace (which connects the dampers struts/towers to the cabin, to improve stiffness, only present in M pack versions).

In my 330i Touring (M pack, active dampers and M sport brakes), the noise was reduced significantly when the strut brace was removed. But it was not possible to have a major improvement with the strut brace on. I have given up for the time being, waiting for some positive news coming from the factory headquarters. I am not willing to have my car being used as "guinea pig".
I’ve got
M sports pack
M sports brakes
No active dampers though!

I’m tempted to remove the strut brace now to see. I’m not overly mechanical minded, is there a issue with removing them permanently? Obviously I’m assuming handling will majorly suffer?

Still no phone call yet to say they have changed wheels, but I will update as soon as they do!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #452
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamjay View Post
The master tech's I feel are fobbing me off but I'm in a position where their word is god. What's frustrating is I can't do an accompanied test drive to show them what noise I'm on about and they don't have the same vehicle in to do a back to back test drive to show it isn't there on another vehicle (which on my cousins 330d touring it isn't!)
Is there any difference in spec' with your cousin's example?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #453
Liamjay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Only with it having comfort access, H&K and tech pack. Mines poverty spec.

The tyres are a different make, but same size. Still factory standard fit though.

I'd get him to come down to my local Bmw dealership, but I'm in Nottinghamshire and he's up near Crianlarich!

His was the only reason i part ex my m135x, due to it being more comfortable, family friendly and above all quieter (which it is proving to not be!)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:26 PM   #454
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The tyres are a different make, but same size. Still factory standard fit though.
Can your dealer fit the same wheel size and tyre make/spec' as your cousin's car? That may identify or eliminate it being a tyre generated noise.

BTW, what tyres are you running and what are fitted to your Cousin's car? Info may help other users.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #455
Liamjay
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Can your dealer fit the same wheel size and tyre make/spec' as your cousin's car? That may identify or eliminate it being a tyre generated noise.

BTW, what tyres are you running and what are fitted to your Cousin's car?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BTW, what tyres are you running and what are fitted to your Cousin's car?
Mine has Bridgestone (the exact model I'm unsure as the dealer has my car) running a staggered set up.

My cousin has Pirelli's cinturanto (apologies if spelt wrong!), same staggered set up, and both are non run-flat summer.

It really doesn't sound like a tyre noise though. It's hard to explain but it's more of a constant mechanical noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #456
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Mine has Bridgestone (the exact model I'm unsure as the dealer has my car) running a staggered set up.

My cousin has Pirelli's cinturanto (apologies if spelt wrong!), same staggered set up, and both are non run-flat summer.

It really doesn't sound like a tyre noise though. It's hard to explain but it's more of a constant mechanical noise.
I've been following this topic and still can't get my head around what generates the grinding noise. Or the exact transmission pathway to the cabin. Although we do know the strut brace assembly could be a key element in the pathway. We know from users that wheel and/or tyre changes can change the soundtrack. As can changes in road surfaces, hence why I'm still minded the tyres are involved..

We have to keep in mind "cause and effect". "IF" tyres are involved in generating the vibrations, do different tyres on the same vehicle change the amplification levels?

From experience with tyres, we may well have a softer sidewall in the Pirelli, than the typically 'stiffer' Bridgestone tyre construction.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 05:16 AM   #457
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

It may be worse with certain tyres in certain road surfaces.

I too have RFT Bridgestone (Turanza) and I consider its sidewalls too stiff.

I look forward to changing to non-RFT Continental tyres, which are tipycally softer.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #458
dkozinets
Rep
Drives: 330i

Hey guys, please check this out. I think you can hear that noise. My car is regular without any M staff.
https://youtube.com/shorts/sy1Yl-NDcqA?feature=share
Appreciate 1
erawamai161.50
      07-27-2021, 06:11 PM   #459
Liamjay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkozinets View Post
Hey guys, please check this out. I think you can hear that noise. My car is regular without any M staff.
https://youtube.com/shorts/sy1Yl-NDcqA?feature=share
That is exactly the noise!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #460
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I currently ride on staggered 790M wheels with go flat Goodyear Exhiliarate tires. The noise is still present. The sound is present starting around 20mph and seems louder depending on the road surface.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #461
Liamjay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
I currently ride on staggered 790M wheels with go flat Goodyear Exhiliarate tires. The noise is still present. The sound is present starting around 20mph and seems louder depending on the road surface.
Mines a staggered set up too albeit 18”.

Judging by your signature, you’ve owned quite a few previous BMW’s too and I’m guessing like me, there’s been no sound like this on the previous which you would consider ‘road noise’.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 06:41 AM   #462
tiberiuenache
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F40

Hello guys, I have same issue with my wife's F40 118i (Sport suspension) and knowing that same issue I had wit my 5 series RFT's , I changed the tires with new ones non-RFT and was ok, no more tire noise since then.
So decided to change them on my F40 also, went from 225/45/17 Goodear Eagle F1 (XL) to Michelin Primacy (XL same size), but still nothing. I have same tire noise, which is a bit more higher than on my winter tires (16" non-rft).

Does all of you checked if tires are (XL), as I thing this is the issue mainly? I will change my tires to Falken Ziex (17" , non RFT and non-XL) and see if the noise gets better.

I believe that the issue is from tyre thread/compund/XL as on some types of asphalts the car is whisper quiet, even on +60mph higher speed than on bad asphalt.
Appreciate 0