Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Bootmod3 BM3 Stage 1 ACN91 OTS Map

08-15-2023, 10:22 PM   #1
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Exclamation Bootmod3 BM3 Stage 1 ACN91 OTS Map

Hi all,

I just unlocked my DME so I was excited to flash an OTS map on. After a bunch of research, I thought BM3 would be the best for me...

I flashed the ACN91 OTS Stage 1 Map (I'm in California) and have mixed feelings about it...

First gear DEFINITELY RIPS HARD, but 2nd gear feels slower than stock. I started to look at logs (and asked for support) and it looks like the car is closing the throttle even though the accelerator is all the way down -- I'm not sure why it would do this -- the knock sensor is always reading 0.

Has anyone else tried this map? Is the regular 91 map any better??

Also, I'm finding that the burbles (even at max timing and max aggressiveness) are sometimes not present at ALL (stock was more burbly) but sometimes they are noticable louder than stock... seems finnicky.

Any thoughts/comments??

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 08:43 AM   #2
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Mike View Post
Hi all,

I just unlocked my DME so I was excited to flash an OTS map on. After a bunch of research, I thought BM3 would be the best for me...

I flashed the ACN91 OTS Stage 1 Map (I'm in California) and have mixed feelings about it...

First gear DEFINITELY RIPS HARD, but 2nd gear feels slower than stock. I started to look at logs (and asked for support) and it looks like the car is closing the throttle even though the accelerator is all the way down -- I'm not sure why it would do this -- the knock sensor is always reading 0.

Has anyone else tried this map? Is the regular 91 map any better??

Also, I'm finding that the burbles (even at max timing and max aggressiveness) are sometimes not present at ALL (stock was more burbly) but sometimes they are noticable louder than stock... seems finnicky.

Any thoughts/comments??

Thanks!!
Cali conditions are not the easiest to adjust to (worse being colorado). You can try this test to see what is causing your issues:
Put 2 gallons of E85 into the tank and go for a spin. After leting it adapt for 10 miles, get on it and see if the problem is fixed. If so, then your timing request is the culprit.
If not, then log your requested torque vs actual. Most likely you are asking over 580nm internal torque and thus putting the dme into limiting mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 10:24 AM   #3
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
Cali conditions are not the easiest to adjust to (worse being colorado). You can try this test to see what is causing your issues:
Put 2 gallons of E85 into the tank and go for a spin. After leting it adapt for 10 miles, get on it and see if the problem is fixed. If so, then your timing request is the culprit.
If not, then log your requested torque vs actual. Most likely you are asking over 580nm internal torque and thus putting the dme into limiting mode.

Hi there, thanks for chiming in!

I have some logs that look at the timing and the actual/requested torque.

It looks like the requested torque hits about 550NM, so below 580.

I don't know how to read the timing it's anywhere from 6 to 1.5 on the 2nd gear pull on all cylinders (https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=64dc...729b43b388f1ca)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 10:31 AM   #4
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You should reach out to your tuner regarding this, but your timing is looking pretty bad. Are your plug properly gapped?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 10:48 AM   #5
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
You should reach out to your tuner regarding this, but your timing is looking pretty bad. Are your plug properly gapped?

Oh sh*t!! What should the timing be?! I'm going to flash back to stock for now based on your post.

I already reached out to them and waiting for response...

My plugs are stock gap, do I need to re-gap them??
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 10:53 AM   #6
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh sh*t!! What should the timing be?! I'm going to flash back to stock for now based on your post.

I already reached out to them and waiting for response...

My plugs are stock gap, do I need to re-gap them??
At higher rpm, you are hovering aroud 0-1 degrees as apposed to 5-8 as it supposed to be and you have total timing pull of nearly 11 which is dramatic. I would not beat on the car until you hear back from your tuner with solution, but it’s all fixable. Also plug gap is crucial and could be all you need. So just wait for them to respond but be ready to do hi here plugs at lest.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 11:56 AM   #7
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
At higher rpm, you are hovering aroud 0-1 degrees as apposed to 5-8 as it supposed to be and you have total timing pull of nearly 11 which is dramatic. I would not beat on the car until you hear back from your tuner with solution, but it’s all fixable. Also plug gap is crucial and could be all you need. So just wait for them to respond but be ready to do hi here plugs at lest.

Thanks @MissionPerformance; can you double check this is how it should look (flashed back to stock for now and it feels much better from 2nd gear and on) -- https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=64dc...729b43b3892be1
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 12:00 PM   #8
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks @MissionPerformance; can you double check this is how it should look (flashed back to stock for now and it feels much better from 2nd gear and on) -- https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=64dc...729b43b3892be1
For being stock, your ignition looks much better and at around 9degrees, which is right around the norm for 91 octane at around 80F ambient.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 12:03 PM   #9
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
For being stock, your ignition looks much better and at around 9degrees, which is right around the norm for 91 octane at around 80F ambient.

Thank you! It feels great. I appreciate your help. I am now waiting for the tuner to contact me back.

I hope I made the right choice in going for BM3... The other two options I was considering was your offering, and also MHD... Let's see what happens and if I need to change or not
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 08:49 PM   #10
MrCantelopeBMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i G20

I'm in cali too but not running ACN 91. I'm running 91 AGG and haven't had any problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 11:31 AM   #11
bimmerguy1210
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E93 335i

Doubling back on MissionPerformance’s comment - Flashed MHD stage 1 91ACN yesterday and definitely noticed a difference after putting in a few gallons of e85 in the tank. I did install ngk’s at a .024” gap a few days prior to tuning and also noticed improvement there while being stock.
Appreciate 0