Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications M340i Low engine oil warning at 3000 miles

11-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #45
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

I took mine in for same issue and dealer told me it's normal for this engine. I was told that these turbo motors are nothing like the NA straight six I was accustom to up to the E46 era. In fact, they ask me what was my last BMW as to imply that if I had turbo bimmers before I should have know this is normal lol. I guess ignorance can have its benefits. They also said it should most likely resolved itself once I do first oil change. So all they did was add a quart and send me on my way.
      11-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #46
bmw_md
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW m340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_md View Post
My car (2020 M340) at 4080 KM or 2550 miles -
The warning "Engine oil at minimum level add 1 quart of engine oil" "Refill oil immediately"

Dealer says It's normal WTF?
I verified the owner manual, it actually mentions that if you do lot of city or sporty drive or idle a lot. Your likely to burn more oil.

However, if you burn crazy amount of oil, that could be signs of something is wrong in the engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #47
raptorapture
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
The warning "Engine oil at minimum level add 1 quart of engine oil" "Refill oil immediately"

Do not add a quart, tell them to check the sensor and run a consumption test. Mine was overfilled due to them stating "It's normal"
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #48
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorapture View Post
Quote:

Do not add a quart, tell them to check the sensor and run a consumption test. Mine was overfilled due to them stating "It's normal"
Same here. Get it checked.

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #49
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

Unless it was under filled from the factory, this is not normal for a brand new engine. I would take it in and have it recorded in the system at least for future reference if the engine does fail and has to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #50
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
No that is a very bad consumption for a B58. Bring it in to the dealer to have the car "document" with the complaint...just in case. They wont be able to fix anything as of now, but its good to have documentation that you have complained about this issue.

Our test vehicle has 3K miles on it now, with nearly every mile of that at full boost....zero oil consumed.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #51
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

M340i Low engine oil warning at 3000 miles

I guess it depends on the dealer because when I took mine in recently they acted as though I was naive to think it was abnormal for my car needing a quart of oil at just over 3K miles. I doubt they even documented it since the SA merely asked a tech to add quart of oil and send me on my way. I didn't get any paperwork on that scheduled visit.
      11-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #52
raptorapture
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
I guess it depends on the dealer because when I took mine in recently they acted as though I was naive to think it was abnormal for my car needing a quart of oil at just over 3K miles. I doubt they even documented it since the SA merely asked a tech to add quart of oil and send me on my way. I didn't get any paperwork on that scheduled visit.
This happened to me as well, learned from experience to not let them do this. I would call the service manager and request they document this in their system so that it is on record since this could cause greater issue down the line and without proper documentation it could get messier than it needs to for the customer.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #53
iPetey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
i just got this message at 3900 miles..what oil are you all using? or is everyone bringing the car back to bmw to add the quart/verify?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #54
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
I took mine in for same issue and dealer told me it's normal for this engine. I was told that these turbo motors are nothing like the NA straight six I was accustom to up to the E46 era. In fact, they ask me what was my last BMW as to imply that if I had turbo bimmers before I should have know this is normal lol. I guess ignorance can have its benefits. They also said it should most likely resolved itself once I do first oil change. So all they did was add a quart and send me on my way.
sorry but that's a load of BS. I have never had to add oil to any of my straight 6s...
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 1
MBM3401022.50
      12-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #55
F30.N54.lol
Tech
South Korea
Rep
Drives: M340 /GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xacoffeemx View Post
Thanks everyone for the insight on the oil and that this is not normal. I took the car in for service couple days ago to get the recalls done and I also mentioned the oil consumption rate being rather high.

It's been about 1.5k miles since I last did a top off and I went in for service. BMW found 6.8 quarts of oil out of 7 when they drained the vehicle.

They would like for me to return after another 2K miles to have this measured and inspected again. I will update here when I reach there!
Looking forward to the results
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #56
F30.N54.lol
Tech
South Korea
Rep
Drives: M340 /GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
sorry but that's a load of BS. I have never had to add oil to any of my straight 6s...
Did you ever own a B58 ? If no then i don't see why reasonable breakin oil consumption on a updated B58 variant is not plausible.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #57
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i, 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30.N54.lol View Post
Looking forward to the results
1,150 Miles left to go, haha
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #58
0xdq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Sorry, got busy recently and haven't got a chance to check the thread. As an update, I went to BMW dealer and they said it's normal, and just added 1 qt for free.

However, 1 month later(1000 miles) I noticed that about 0.4 qt was gone when doing oil level check. So I brought it back to another BMW dealer. They also said it's normal, and they are advised by BMW that they won't do diagnose unless the consumption is more than 1qt/750 miles. They also said that my car was almost new and that I shouldn't worry about anything as it will be covered by warranty. So, they added 0.4 qt and documented everything.

Since I planned to take the M340i to track, I decided to do an early oil change off CBS schedule. So I took the car back to dealer again. I also got the emission recall done at same time. Interesting thing was that the oil consumption issue seemed to stopped. The oil level was full even after I finish the track day.

So, I have no idea if it has something to do with the emission recall, or it has something to do with engine breaking in. I got my car back in May 2019, so it might be the early production, which BMW forgot to detune.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #59
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdq View Post
Sorry, got busy recently and haven't got a chance to check the thread. As an update, I went to BMW dealer and they said it's normal, and just added 1 qt for free.

However, 1 month later(1000 miles) I noticed that about 0.4 qt was gone when doing oil level check. So I brought it back to another BMW dealer. They also said it's normal, and they are advised by BMW that they won't do diagnose unless the consumption is more than 1qt/750 miles. They also said that my car was almost new and that I shouldn't worry about anything as it will be covered by warranty. So, they added 0.4 qt and documented everything.

Since I planned to take the M340i to track, I decided to do an early oil change off CBS schedule. So I took the car back to dealer again. I also got the emission recall done at same time. Interesting thing was that the oil consumption issue seemed to stopped. The oil level was full even after I finish the track day.

So, I have no idea if it has something to do with the emission recall, or it has something to do with engine breaking in. I got my car back in May 2019, so it might be the early production, which BMW forgot to detune.
Can you notice any difference in power after the "detune"?
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #60
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Read my post, dealer told me it's because of the break-in oil and that it should remedy itself after first oil change. Hopefully that's true, either way I will know soon enough.
      12-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #61
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I had this same issue with my 340 - burned a quart rather early on and has never happened again despite all the abuse the car gets at AutoX etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #62
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Read my post, dealer told me it's because of the break-in oil and that it should remedy itself after first oil change. Hopefully that's true, either way I will know soon enough.
There is not such thing as "break in oil." If they did, the internet would be screaming about it by now and the technical manuals would mention it.

The M340i just burns a lot of oil, plain and simple.

You guys could continually keep racking your brain trying to find another answer or accept it but objectively, its what it is.

Unless the vehicle throws a fault code, the dealers are unable to do anything meaningful to change this.

One, because they are not going to dedicate much time to something they can't duplicate and to justify a bill for.

Two, most dealer techs are just glorified parts-changers, not mechanics.

I had the oil light come on at 2,900 miles and even when I added a quart, it didn't fully top off. And again at 5,200 miles.

Otherwise, the car runs like a champ.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #63
0xdq
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Quote:

Can you notice any difference in power after the "detune"?
It's about 40hp less based on OBD data. But I can hardly notice it myself
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #64
0xdq
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think this car has special break-in oil as the M Power model. But changing oil seems to resolve my issue. Easiest thing to verify is to do oil analysis. My friends sent oil sample from his 1200 miles Supra(same B58 engine), and blackstone was able to identify that the car is in break in period.

So, I think in future I'd always do an early oil change, then do it based on CBS schedule. Or, if I track the car, maybe I'll do additional one between each CBS oil change.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #65
0xdq
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
There is not such thing as "break in oil." If they did, the internet would be screaming about it by now and the technical manuals would mention it.

The M340i just burns a lot of oil, plain and simple.

You guys could continually keep racking your brain trying to find another answer or accept it but objectively, its what it is.

Unless the vehicle throws a fault code, the dealers are unable to do anything meaningful to change this.

One, because they are not going to dedicate much time to something they can't duplicate and to justify a bill for.

Two, most dealer techs are just glorified parts-changers, not mechanics.

I had the oil light come on at 2,900 miles and even when I added a quart, it didn't fully top off. And again at 5,200 miles.

Otherwise, the car runs like a champ.
Yes it's very rare that a SA truely understand how the car works. They tend to swap the faulty part instead of dig into things and find out the root cause.

That's why I can never trust a second hand BMW even if it's always serviced at dealership. I'll keep leasing.
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
      12-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #66
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

Idk what you guys are talking about I'm at 7500KM, did a oil change at 3500KM, never had any oil messages or the oil level drop..
Appreciate 0