Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Sedan_Clan's Personal Trainer Thread

04-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #1123
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP86 View Post
OK cool that is good reference, now how often do you work out? Are you happy with your results?
No problem. And I work out 6 times a week, always around 4:30 or so. I've taken things seriously over the past year, here is a pic from 2014 versus one I took about a week ago.
Attached Images

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #1124
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

That is 194 pounds versus 157, I am 5'6".

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #1125
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Man that is a great transformation! I believe your POV on carbs lol, hasn't seemed to slow you down a bit!

How have you gotten routines? Friends/made up your own/the internet/trainer? and what is your cardio routine like?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #1126
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Man that is a great transformation! I believe your POV on carbs lol, hasn't seemed to slow you down a bit!

How have you gotten routines? Friends/made up your own/the internet/trainer? and what is your cardio routine like?
Haha, thanks man! It's been a lot of hard work, right now I'm at around 11.5% body fat. I would like to reach 9%, but I am pretty comfortable with where I am, at the moment. Will use this winter to really focus on bulking up, and changing my meal plans around. Looking at a 3500 daily caloric ceiling for this, and macronutrients are absolutely key in maintaining form.

I actually started out using home DVD routines to get a grasp on the types of routines I should be doing (P90X+, for reference) and it has seriously helped me a lot because I work out at home in my basement; excessive equipment is not required and the routines are quite strenuous and intensive.

I have 4 sets of dumbbells ranging from 20lbs-50lbs and dedicate Monday's and Fridays to upper body and core routines (hammer curls, deadlift curl press, shoulder flys, negative pull-ups, wide chin ups, etc), and Tuesdays and Thursdays I run an Intervals routine that encompasses 3 intensity levels of the same workout, 30 seconds apiece (jacks, burpees, run in place, etc), similar to plyometrics, which is jump training. Wednesdays is a total body ordeal, dumbells squats, push-ups, etc. Saturdays is.....wait for it...leg day. I think the key to everything is really just doing different things each day of the week. It will really fortify your basis.

Do you usually go to a gym or home gym?

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #1127
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #1128
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

So, back to HIIT. I'm considering it for a change-up in the routine. Right now I play soccer on Fridays, might do Saturday too. Sunday or Monday is leg day at the gym, and Wednesday I do some running on the street. Considering making that Wednesday be HIIT day instead. Does HIIT really knock down the leg muscles, or will I still be able to play soccer on Friday night? And for HIIT, how do you measure the 30-sec intervals between jog/sprint?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #1129
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Haha, thanks man! It's been a lot of hard work, right now I'm at around 11.5% body fat. I would like to reach 9%, but I am pretty comfortable with where I am, at the moment. Will use this winter to really focus on bulking up, and changing my meal plans around. Looking at a 3500 daily caloric ceiling for this, and macronutrients are absolutely key in maintaining form.

I actually started out using home DVD routines to get a grasp on the types of routines I should be doing (P90X+, for reference) and it has seriously helped me a lot because I work out at home in my basement; excessive equipment is not required and the routines are quite strenuous and intensive.

I have 4 sets of dumbbells ranging from 20lbs-50lbs and dedicate Monday's and Fridays to upper body and core routines (hammer curls, deadlift curl press, shoulder flys, negative pull-ups, wide chin ups, etc), and Tuesdays and Thursdays I run an Intervals routine that encompasses 3 intensity levels of the same workout, 30 seconds apiece (jacks, burpees, run in place, etc), similar to plyometrics, which is jump training. Wednesdays is a total body ordeal, dumbells squats, push-ups, etc. Saturdays is.....wait for it...leg day. I think the key to everything is really just doing different things each day of the week. It will really fortify your basis.

Do you usually go to a gym or home gym?
I think it takes more dedication to work out at home than it does to work out at a gym, I can't work out at home at nearly the same intensity as I do at the gym. It sounds like your cardio is sort of like a crossfit style routine where you're getting into the aerobic zone while doing weights. That's what I do at home as well, sometimes with a jump rope, if I workout at home on a weekend because I'm too lazy to go to the gym.

I had been doing a routine that was arms / chest/ back/ shoulders/legs on consecutive days with 30-40 mins of stairclimber for everyday but after leg day, which was just 20-30 minutes of incline walking.

I started the "arnold ripped" or something work out this week, and it is slaughtering me. It's incredibly high set and rep, on tuesday it was 8x12 just for squats, yesterday was arms which was 4 supersets of 5+ x 15 and two drop sets on a couple of the excercises, incredibly punishing!

My legs are just finally recovering today.

I'm going to Jamaica in July and turning 30 in August, and I kind of want to be able to just take off my shirt and be like "this is what 30 looks like bitches, age is but a number!" so that's why I'm all intense about this.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #1130
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, back to HIIT. I'm considering it for a change-up in the routine. Right now I play soccer on Fridays, might do Saturday too. Sunday or Monday is leg day at the gym, and Wednesday I do some running on the street. Considering making that Wednesday be HIIT day instead. Does HIIT really knock down the leg muscles, or will I still be able to play soccer on Friday night? And for HIIT, how do you measure the 30-sec intervals between jog/sprint?
Do you plan on doing HIIT on the street? If you can do it at a track of measure out a 1/4 mile or 1/8th of a mile it would help a lot. So depending on how I feel my HIIT will range from running full sprint 1 lap around a track (or a psuedo one on a treadmill) and walking 1/2 lap. rinse and repeat.

If you're doing it on a street I'd sprint the 1/4 or 1/8th mile, walk back, and repeat.

For me I like going the full lap because if something is too repetitive I get bored.

I personally don't feel like HIIT ruins my legs, it just ruins my will to live because you're so cardiovascularly exhausted.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #1131
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Uncle!

It knocks down the leg muscles at the same rate as a cardio day, at least in my book, because my cardio days that do not involve HIIT are also intensive. For my HIIT, I do 30 seconds at lowest intensity and 15 seconds of each subsequent intensity level (30 jog in place, 15 moderate increase run and 15 sprint, repeat, then next routine). The variation between the intensities not only provides ample recovery but a basis for steadily increasing and maintained BPM's.

Regarding soccer and other weekly routines, and in general, I would recommend taking a BCAA supplement to increase your muscle recovery; most Amino's need to get filtered from the liver to enter your muscles, while BCAA's bypass this and go straight to your rebuild process, which can take great effects overnight. I think it would really help, I've noticed a great difference.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #1132
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Uncle!

It knocks down the leg muscles at the same rate as a cardio day, at least in my book, because my cardio days that do not involve HIIT are also intensive. For my HIIT, I do 30 seconds at lowest intensity and 15 seconds of each subsequent intensity level (30 jog in place, 15 moderate increase run and 15 sprint, repeat, then next routine). The variation between the intensities not only provides ample recovery but a basis for steadily increasing and maintained BPM's.

Regarding soccer and other weekly routines, and in general, I would recommend taking a BCAA supplement to increase your muscle recovery; most Amino's need to get filtered from the liver to enter your muscles, while BCAA's bypass this and go straight to your rebuild process, which can take great effects overnight. I think it would really help, I've noticed a great difference.
Good call on the BCAA's, do you take them pre or post workout?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #1133
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
I think it takes more dedication to work out at home than it does to work out at a gym, I can't work out at home at nearly the same intensity as I do at the gym. It sounds like your cardio is sort of like a crossfit style routine where you're getting into the aerobic zone while doing weights. That's what I do at home as well, sometimes with a jump rope, if I workout at home on a weekend because I'm too lazy to go to the gym.

I had been doing a routine that was arms / chest/ back/ shoulders/legs on consecutive days with 30-40 mins of stairclimber for everyday but after leg day, which was just 20-30 minutes of incline walking.

I started the "arnold ripped" or something work out this week, and it is slaughtering me. It's incredibly high set and rep, on tuesday it was 8x12 just for squats, yesterday was arms which was 4 supersets of 5+ x 15 and two drop sets on a couple of the excercises, incredibly punishing!

My legs are just finally recovering today.

I'm going to Jamaica in July and turning 30 in August, and I kind of want to be able to just take off my shirt and be like "this is what 30 looks like bitches, age is but a number!" so that's why I'm all intense about this.
LMAO! Last line got me.

But that sounds like you're on an excellent track! Way to go, you will absolutely begin to see those results in the coming months.

Like I was saying to UncleWede, in addition to protein, do you take any recovery supplements?

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #1134
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Good call on the BCAA's, do you take them pre or post workout?
Our responses are crashing into each other. LOL.

I take them post workout. Taken BPI Best BCAA and currently on the BSN train, Amino X.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #1135
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
LMAO! Last line got me.

But that sounds like you're on an excellent track! Way to go, you will absolutely begin to see those results in the coming months.

Like I was saying to UncleWede, in addition to protein, do you take any recovery supplements?
No I really don't. You might have remembered my eating thread a few months back. At the time I think I was about 175ish or so, and since I've changed up a lot but my usual routine, and by usual I mean almost every day, looks like:

2 scoops protein shake (24g per scoop) (pb + almond milk)
yogurt

chicken breast with rice or veggies
a snack of either protein bar or veggies

protein shake post work out (berries, 2 scoops whey + juice - all natural)
chicken + rice + salad
protein shake 3 = almond milk + whey

I might snack more inbetween, by snack I mean additional veggies or granola right before my workout which is after work around 430-5pm

I was looking to add creatine or BCAA's to my diet, I don't like caffeine so a lot of pre-workouts don't do it for me, but I haven't found a BCAA I want yet.

Usually my recovery is very good, even after strenuous days, but I know there is always room for improvement.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #1136
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Our responses are crashing into each other. LOL.

I take them post workout. Taken BPI Best BCAA and currently on the BSN train, Amino X.
I'm going to look these up!

When you have common interests these things happen haha! I'm passionate about fitness, but I work with a bunch of people who don't really care, so when I find someone I can chat to about it I get all into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #1137
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
No I really don't. You might have remembered my eating thread a few months back. At the time I think I was about 175ish or so, and since I've changed up a lot but my usual routine, and by usual I mean almost every day, looks like:

2 scoops protein shake (24g per scoop) (pb + almond milk)
yogurt

chicken breast with rice or veggies
a snack of either protein bar or veggies

protein shake post work out (berries, 2 scoops whey + juice - all natural)
chicken + rice + salad
protein shake 3 = almond milk + whey

I might snack more inbetween, by snack I mean additional veggies or granola right before my workout which is after work around 430-5pm

I was looking to add creatine or BCAA's to my diet, I don't like caffeine so a lot of pre-workouts don't do it for me, but I haven't found a BCAA I want yet.

Usually my recovery is very good, even after strenuous days, but I know there is always room for improvement.
Way to go! That's great; consistency with diet is important, while too much consistency when training ceases to induce muscle confusion and isn't good! Haha. You know, you could just buy regular colorless/raw creatine monohydrate to mix in with your shakes or regular drink; it is tough to find pre-workouts without some type of caffeine included amplifier.

The only caffeine I consume actually is in my pre-workout LOL. Also, look into supplements combining creatine with beta-alanine, it works great and doesn't need to be combined with caffeine. Stacking your pre-workouts is important; my N.O.-Xplode is a compound stack including all of those things.

Quote:
I'm going to look these up!

When you have common interests these things happen haha! I'm passionate about fitness, but I work with a bunch of people who don't really care, so when I find someone I can chat to about it I get all into it.
Definitely dude, they are also really well priced, for what they do, and they taste awesome.

Couldn't agree with you more. Most people are generally just into the fitness discussions because they see it as a hipster fad LOL, but they're not into the nitty gritty. I genuinely take my shit extremely seriously.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #1138
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you can do it at a track of measure out a 1/4 mile or 1/8th of a mile it would help a lot.
For me I like going the full lap because if something is too repetitive I get bored.
I was thinking 1/4 lap sprint, 1/2 lap jog. It's been a while since I convinced myself to do wind-sprints at the end of my runs. There was once a time when I would do 5-6 sprints of 2 telephone poles on the street in front of the house. I was then training to get certified as a National Referee and they had some tough running time requirements. Now I just play.

30, he says. . . I'm on my 50th trip around the sun.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #1139
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking 1/4 lap sprint, 1/2 lap jog. It's been a while since I convinced myself to do wind-sprints at the end of my runs. There was once a time when I would do 5-6 sprints of 2 telephone poles on the street in front of the house. I was then training to get certified as a National Referee and they had some tough running time requirements. Now I just play.

30, he says. . . I'm on my 50th trip around the sun.
Ohh! I was thinking you were experience with the HIIT, but the idea with HIIT is that its one MAX OUT effort, and recovery, so jogging after sprinting isn't quite the recovery HIIT calls for. And after 30 minutes you shouldn't be able to jog back at all. Maybe start with 10-15 minutes and build up?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #1140
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Way to go! That's great; consistency with diet is important, while too much consistency when training ceases to induce muscle confusion and isn't good! Haha. You know, you could just buy regular colorless/raw creatine monohydrate to mix in with your shakes or regular drink; it is tough to find pre-workouts without some type of caffeine included amplifier.

The only caffeine I consume actually is in my pre-workout LOL. Also, look into supplements combining creatine with beta-alanine, it works great and doesn't need to be combined with caffeine. Stacking your pre-workouts is important; my N.O.-Xplode is a compound stack including all of those things.

Definitely dude, they are also really well priced, for what they do, and they taste awesome.

Couldn't agree with you more. Most people are generally just into the fitness discussions because they see it as a hipster fad LOL, but they're not into the nitty gritty. I genuinely take my shit extremely seriously.
Does NO Explode make you jittery? That's one of the things that happens to me with caffeine pre-workout. Doesn't seem to matter when I drink it otherwise, but I hate that feeling. I heard that product can produce the jittery feeling.

+1 on adding the raw creatine to the shake, that's what I planned on doing, again, just haven't decided on which one I wanted. I'll probably just take your recommendation on the BCAA's.

Besides NO and the BCAA you told me about, what are the other supplement brands you take?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #1141
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Uncle!
Regarding soccer and other weekly routines, and in general, I would recommend taking a BCAA supplement to increase your muscle recovery
I have BCAA (can't recall the name at this point) that I take before soccer, and usually the next day. I was warned about them not allowing sleep, so have been reluctant to take in the evenings which is when I do all my workouts except the weekend.

Some mornings, especially after soccer, I have a mixture of SuperGreen, Muscletech AminoBuild, and a third small bit of something I used to add to AminoBuild to help with some T-boost (#50timesaroundthesun) Whenever I get home from nightly workouts, I grab a carton of musclemilk for an extra 30g protein.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #1142
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have BCAA (can't recall the name at this point) that I take before soccer, and usually the next day. I was warned about them not allowing sleep, so have been reluctant to take in the evenings which is when I do all my workouts except the weekend.

Some mornings, especially after soccer, I have a mixture of SuperGreen, Muscletech AminoBuild, and a third small bit of something I used to add to AminoBuild to help with some T-boost (#50timesaroundthesun) Whenever I get home from nightly workouts, I grab a carton of musclemilk for an extra 30g protein.
I'd personally shy away from musclemilk or other "designer" forms of protein, you'll get better, cleaner protein from a 6lb bag from Costco. Musclemilk is designed to taste good, secondary is the performance aspect.

You should try to take the BCAA's prior to your work out, which should help you power through a work out without caffeine.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #1143
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ohh! I was thinking you were experience with the HIIT, but the idea with HIIT is that its one MAX OUT effort, and recovery, so jogging after sprinting isn't quite the recovery HIIT calls for. And after 30 minutes you shouldn't be able to jog back at all. Maybe start with 10-15 minutes and build up?
30 was your reference to the trip, not how long. My experience with the HIIT was what I read a few pages back on here, thought it consisted of a warm-up, then several alternating sprint/job sessions. I figured I could do that a bit as a change-up, and it's close to what happens in a soccer game as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #1144
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd personally shy away from musclemilk or other "designer" forms of protein, you'll get better, cleaner protein from a 6lb bag from Costco. Musclemilk is designed to taste good, secondary is the performance aspect.

You should try to take the BCAA's prior to your work out, which should help you power through a work out without caffeine.
I have one of those bags at home, both son and I use it as meal replacement on occasion. He likes to have that mixed with egg and milk, before a baseball game. No bloating, stil some decent energy to get thru the game, especially those that start at 8-9 a.m. The musclemilk in the little carton is pure convenience when I get home, slam it down, then go to bed.

I too am caffeine-adverse, I get super addicted really quickly. Now Hump-day is my caffeine day, where I'll have some coffee in the morning and maybe a diet Coke or two during the day. I'm diabetic, so I have a whole nuther set of issues to deal with in daily life.
Appreciate 0