BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-16-2023, 02:37 PM   #23
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Wow, you really beat that muffler down !!!! Can u see the bottom of the deformed muffler from behind ? Also, why the stealth Hitch? Wont u see the cut in the diffuser and the exposed muffler without the 2 inch receiver tube? Might as well go with the regular hitch.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 02:49 PM   #24
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM.PWR View Post
I'm a bike guy too but no way I would cut my carbon diffuser or beat up the muffler.

Respect to you though, the cuts do look clean. Do you plan on leaving the hitch on permanently? If not, maybe you could have the little spare piece you cut be on a hinge.
We cut it off in multi pieces, my friend did a great job with a Dremel. I would have butchered it. The bike rack will stay on 99% of the time.

It really doesn't look bad removed. If you stand back 15-20ft you can see it, but with the shadow it kind of blends.

I have a clean to clean it all up. I ordered a heat shield sheet that I'm going to paint black. I'll use tie straps to wrap around the muffler to hide the beating and I think the dark muffler will help hide the cut.
Appreciate 1
MMM.PWR3455.00
      04-16-2023, 02:54 PM   #25
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Subscribed. Big skier and MTB rider here. Recently picked up a Santa Cruz nomad. Your roof setup was exactly what I was planning on doing. My G80cx is in Bremerhaven right now. Thule bars with 1up bike racks. I have the 1up 2” hitch mount already for the wife’s X3. How bad was the road noise with just the bars and no bike rack? I was wondering about installing a hitch but thought it might mess up the diffuser. Putting on and taking off the hitch bike mount still takes a few min and is kinda a PIA TBH
Appreciate 1
RACE M3548.50
      04-16-2023, 02:56 PM   #26
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
Wow, you really beat that muffler down !!!! Can u see the bottom of the deformed muffler from behind ? Also, why the stealth Hitch? Wont u see the cut in the diffuser and the exposed muffler without the 2 inch receiver tube? Might as well go with the regular hitch.
Just barely, but it's not obvious what happened. I'm going to use a shield to hide it.

I like the stealth more than a fixed on because it sticks out more than a normal hitch. The bolt on unit its inward about 3" more. If I was using it solely for a trailer it would be better. My bike rack sits perfectly with this. The handlebar has about 1/2" gap from the trunk. If I accidentally open it I don't have to worry about damaging the trunk or bike.

Second reason is I had a few accessories for the hitch from my other vehicle already.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2658.00
      04-16-2023, 03:03 PM   #27
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE M3 View Post
Hitch the world lol put them on all my cars for the last 15 years lol can’t find a pic of my e90 m3 that had one too lol

Search on YouTube e55 vs 350; even had one go viral lol
You’re killing me.
But, I’ll give you an upvote anyway.
Appreciate 1
RACE M3548.50
      04-16-2023, 03:05 PM   #28
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82///M4 View Post
Subscribed. Big skier and MTB rider here. Recently picked up a Santa Cruz nomad. Your roof setup was exactly what I was planning on doing. My G80cx is in Bremerhaven right now. Thule bars with 1up bike racks. I have the 1up 2” hitch mount already for the wife’s X3. How bad was the road noise with just the bars and no bike rack? I was wondering about installing a hitch but thought it might mess up the diffuser. Putting on and taking off the hitch bike mount still takes a few min and is kinda a PIA TBH
The roof bars are for sale if you're interested. The bars alone aren't bad at all, with the music on at a reasonable level or valves open mid pipe it can't be heard until 55-60. After 80 the road noise drowns them out. I wouldn't suggest the 1up racks if they're staying on permanently. They're not aero dynamic at all and create a ton of wind noise. Id consider something else like the Thule upride. The new setup looks great, but it's still very new. Not many reviews out.

I considered getting a new bike roof rack before the hitch, but with the bike on the roof you still have to slow down around turns and drive more cautiously. With the hitch rack you can drive the car normally with no problems. When I drive in the mountains I used a ratchet strap to prevent the front/back sway. As you already know the 1 up doesn't sway side to side with 1 bike.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 03:06 PM   #29
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
You’re killing me.
But, I’ll give you an upvote anyway.
If Bmw made a manual x3M id be driving that =) I appreciate the love haha
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      04-16-2023, 03:14 PM   #30
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE M3 View Post
The roof bars are for sale if you're interested. The bars alone aren't bad at all, with the music on at a reasonable level or valves open mid pipe it can't be heard until 55-60. After 80 the road noise drowns them out. I wouldn't suggest the 1up racks if they're staying on permanently. They're not aero dynamic at all and create a ton of wind noise. Id consider something else like the Thule upride. The new setup looks great, but it's still very new. Not many reviews out.

I considered getting a new bike roof rack before the hitch, but with the bike on the roof you still have to slow down around turns and drive more cautiously. With the hitch rack you can drive the car normally with no problems. When I drive in the mountains I used a ratchet strap to prevent the front/back sway. As you already know the 1 up doesn't sway side to side with 1 bike.
The finished product looks awesome. I just love the 1up hitch so I figured the roof version would also be sick. Good to know about the wind noise. I might be interested In the roof bars. Are they the Thule wingbar edge in black?
Appreciate 1
RACE M3548.50
      04-16-2023, 04:02 PM   #31
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The finished product looks awesome. I just love the 1up hitch so I figured the roof version would also be sick. Good to know about the wind noise. I might be interested In the roof bars. Are they the Thule wingbar edge in black?
It just depends on your usable. I own real estate around fl and ga. I pass by all of them once a month to check up on them. I bring a bike with me for something to do. I’m on the road 16-20 days a month at 70-90mph. A roof rack doesn’t fit my current lifestyle until I find someone to take my place, but I’m having fun traveling and saving money doing it myself.

If you ride locally once a week then a roof rack is a great idea even if you leave the bars on. Even better if you’re not on the highway much. The non flush version is easy to take on and off. I didn’t know better and have the flush version. You’ll need to buy new rubber strips, mine are cut to fit the racks. They black, and in very good shape. I spent close to $800, not sure what they go for second hand but first reasonable offer and they’re gone. I’m pretty sure I have a box that’ll work and I’ll leave them assembled to save you 20 laps around the car to get them centered. My car has just over 10k miles and I put them on before the breakin period. Only 4 months old, but they’ve had some usage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 04:06 PM   #32
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thinking about it more maybe 1up is the way to go since you already have a hitch rack. You could get the add on for around $100 and expand your setup with the roof rack. I’m reusing mine for the hitch and it’ll actually be stronger than the regular one since it’s a one piece design instead of two. My levo sl is only 35lbs but I’ve had my eye on the full power yeti coming out soon. That’s around 50-55
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2023, 03:34 PM   #33
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Todays work! Covered it up with small piece of heat shield I had laying around to see if it’s a viable option. I put a used a lot of high temp epoxy on the inside of the should to act as an insulation so there’s no direct contact between the shield and muffler.

This weekend I’ll take the bumper back off and form a larger shield to cover the entire muffler for a uniform look. I’m also going to add some mounting points for chains to help secure my bikes better instead of directly to the bike rack.

I’m on the fence about painting it back. I think the paint will chip away pretty quickly. I lve anodized stuff before, but it’ll not sure it’s worth the hassle. The silver looks pretty good from 20 feet away
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #34
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
It looks like one of those F1 brake lights. Maybe you can put a red led light inside of it deep enough to show, but still be able to mount your rack.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
RACE M3548.50
      04-17-2023, 07:20 PM   #35
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
It looks like one of those F1 brake lights. Maybe you can put a red led light inside of it deep enough to show, but still be able to mount your rack.

That’s not a bad idea at all, I have an extra hitch piece I could chop and attach it too. Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 07:31 PM   #36
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
This is even easier to ”accept” if your car has gloss black diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 12:16 AM   #37
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:

If you have the Thule aerobars, the noise isnt that bad as long as u put back the rubber strip that needed to be removed to install the bike holder. I have the ProXt
https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rac...de-xt-_-598004

Installed them on the the wingbars on my X3
https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rac...evo-_-am711xxx

I cut a small piece of rubber to slide the bike rack but saved it. I mout my road bikes on them and once Im done riding, i remove the bike rack but keep the wing bars in place. Removal only takes like 5 min. Now the wingbar isnt rated to go over 100 mph (i think they said 80 mph) but I keep them on for the looks and have exceeded 100 mph in short bursts (without the bike rack or bike in place) and they still held sturdy. So you have so e options if u have road bikes
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2023, 09:50 AM   #38
Zircon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4CX, MT09, YZF-R1

Very interesting. By looking at the muffler I always thought installing a hitch is impossible.
In any case, beating the crap out of the muffler is not my idea of fun but after searching, it seems there is a german company that installs trailer hitches. Looks pretty good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 10:33 AM   #39
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
Very interesting. By looking at the muffler I always thought installing a hitch is impossible.
In any case, beating the crap out of the muffler is not my idea of fun but after searching, it seems there is a german company that installs trailer hitches. Looks pretty good.
You can do it this way or that way, but in the end it still sucks driving a 3 series with 2 mountain bikes on the back.

I had the kuat on my 340i and it greatly changed the dynamic of the car, so much that I simply never used it. I hated driving with that much weight off the tail, very noticeable.
The suspension may be able to handle it, but it definitely doesn’t like it.

I’m just going to buy a truck and I suggest most people do the same. Buy a cheap pickup and problem solved.

If all you need it to do is carry a few bikes, then you’re looking at a $5k truck which you can then sweat in, track mud and dirt and who knows what else, scratch to hell on unpaved roads, and carry your bikes and dogs and all the rest of your shit.

Even if it doesn’t hurt the m3, it definitely changes the driving dynamics so much it’s a non option for me.

But, looks like OP is happy and the world didn’t blow up so that’s a win!
Appreciate 2
Zircon21.00
Aalfred2658.00
      07-13-2023, 11:15 AM   #40
Zircon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4CX, MT09, YZF-R1

Quote:
You can do it this way or that way, but in the end it still sucks driving a 3 series with 2 mountain bikes on the back.

I had the kuat on my 340i and it greatly changed the dynamic of the car, so much that I simply never used it. I hated driving with that much weight off the tail, very noticeable.

I’m just going to buy a truck and I suggest most people do the same. Buy a cheap pickup and problem solved.

If all you need it to do is carry a few bikes, then you’re looking at a $5k truck which you can then sweat in, track mud and dirt and who knows what else, scratch to hell on unpaved roads, and carry your bikes and dogs and all the rest of your shit.

Even if it doesn’t hurt the m3, it definitely changes the driving dynamics so much it’s a non option for me.

You do have a point. Also, checked that site and it seems that trailer hitch is only for a bicycle rack, not a trailer. My primary use would be tow a motorcycle to the track. Bicycles are a bonus ...
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      08-07-2023, 09:21 AM   #41
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That’s awesome! I like how the diffuser is still intact! The muffler isn’t a big deal!

Do you have a link for the company? My friend wants a rack too
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 09:37 AM   #42
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Comparing driving a m3 with a bike rack vs a truck… I think the m3 will drive better ;-)

I just got back from a trip to tail of dragon, pisgah, beech mountain and met my wife in her knock off m3. 2000 miles round trip of fun.

13 of the 16k miles on my car have been bike trips. The m3 is my beater truck lol plus you can’t compare 340 suspension to m3. They’re so soft and floaty at highway speeds; I get where you’re coming from. 140 in the m3 is as stable as the 340 at 100. I just had one as a loaner and got to drive one for the first time. I really enjoyed how plush and relaxing the drive was.

Quote:

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MT6731.00
      08-07-2023, 09:47 AM   #43
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You do have a point. Also, checked that site and it seems that trailer hitch is only for a bicycle rack, not a trailer. My primary use would be tow a motorcycle to the track. Bicycles are a bonus ...
I’ll pull that no problem. I’ve pulled a double jet ski trailer a few times with it when my wife’s tesla wasn’t home. Smooth as can at 75-80 and you don’t feel it back there even on the brakes. Total weight is in 2500-2700 range. If your trailers not enclosed I wouldn’t think twice.

Our cars weight the same as light duty pickup trucks from a decade ago. More power, better weight distribution, better suspension, better brakes and cooled seats. She’s got it all! Haha
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 06:20 PM   #44
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

Good job with the hitch and nice shift knob.

MT is the way
Appreciate 0