BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-14-2023, 07:45 PM   #45
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I do care what engine they put in the car, mostly based on the sound of it. If it sounds bad, I won't buy the car, no matter how fast and/or efficient. And right now, I'm not fond of silence, so no EVs for me. But when the hackers replace those futuristic whirrrr sounds with authentic GT3 or Ferrari soundtracks, I'll reconsider an EV. and they're coming...and the aftermarket trend may be to mount speakers outside too, so your EV will sound like an ICE race car on the outside as well.

But I digress...

My big issue with EVs is the weight. Sure, we'll have 800+ hp factory-made EV powertrains with even more torque, but if the car is going to weigh 5000+ pounds, I'll pass. All the weight simply dulls the experience.

Hec, as much as it tries, the G8X platform can't hide its weight, it just has a ton of power to help overcome it.

So, for a fun car, I'd rather a lighter platform. The G8X will be the heaviest fun car I will ever own. I'll want something lighter moving forward. Porsche is working on that. A hybrid Porsche is worth considering if they can keep the weight down, and pipe in some cool sounds.

But for a daily driver, the coming EVs with more advanced batteries start to make sense in many ways if you're just drunk on launches and power coupled with efficiency. I'm just not there yet. I don't need anything much faster than a G82, I'd rather something more engaging and tossable. M cars have reached their limit of potential as a fun car for me, as anything bigger and heavier just erodes the fun-car experience....no matter how blistering fast it is. Hec, the G8X is too fast for most roads as it is, it needs a track.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 06:57 PM   #46
Vishal50028
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competion RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Agree. This doesn't suprise me at all. M cars target demo are lawyers and bankers and doctors that don't track their car and don't give a shit what engine config it has.
I picture those guys in a 5 or 7 series over m
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:38 PM   #47
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal50028 View Post
I picture those guys in a 5 or 7 series over m
People buy the 7 series?