Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Average wait time from order?

04-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
Enobar
Rep
Drives: BMW M340xi M-Performance

Average wait time from order?

Hey guys, I know there is an official order sub forum, but most of the people there are from the US, and I didn’t see much info on Australian wait times.

How long did you all wait for your custom order 3 series?

I just ordered an M340xi and it’s apparently going to be built late this month. Any idea when I can expect it to arrive here? I’m hoping for early July.. I’m sure this wait is going to drive me crazy
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Congrats. The wait is hard.

I ordered my 330i back in 2019. The car had a built date in early March that year and was delivered 24th May. It depends on which ship it can be allocated to. Sometimes it can get stuck at the port for two weeks before boarding a ship. My dealer was able to give me the name of the ship it was on and then I was able to track it on a maritime website. Once it has arrived at an Australian port, it will need to quarantine for 10-14 days and have compliance etc done before transport to your dealership. And then a day or two of prep work there before delivery.

I think you should be ok with early to mid July.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:36 PM   #3
rahul.r
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i MSport

Congrats!

Yes the wait extremely painful! I know because I'm waiting as well.

To give you an idea of timelines, I ordered my custom built 330i on 2nd Feb 2021, build was completed on 3rd-Mar-21. Car was loaded onto a ship in Mexico on 21-Mar-21, transferred to another ship at Jamaica on the 29th-Mar-21. Currently in transit via the Pacific Ocean scheduled to reach Melbourne on the 1st-May-21. From that date I think it would be another 2-3weeks before it reaches the dealer. I've been tracking the ship ever since the car was loaded onto it.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
francton124.50
      04-14-2021, 04:52 AM   #4
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

My 340 was built in Germany, not sure if they are still built there.
I ordered in Feb 2020, built April, delivery mid June 2020. I would say early July.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
Enobar
Rep

No, I think it’s coming from Mexico unfortunately. I would have preferred a German build, but the only way to get it would have been to request individual options and I would have added an extra $10k..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #6
rahul.r
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobar View Post
No, I think it’s coming from Mexico unfortunately. I would have preferred a German build, but the only way to get it would have been to request individual options and I would have added an extra $10k..
Yes I think you are right, off-late most 3 series are being built in Mexico. If you don't mind me asking, any particular reason why you prefer a German build?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 02:37 AM   #7
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul.r View Post
Yes I think you are right, off-late most 3 series are being built in Mexico. If you don't mind me asking, any particular reason why you prefer a German build?
I believe the 340 is built in Mexico ( RHD model). I think they started coming from Mexico late 2020.
I'm paying German money I want a German car not a Mexican.
I know a Mexican built BMW is a lot better than a lesser brand built in Mexico.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 04:21 AM   #8
Enobar
Rep

Quote:
No rational reason... I just like the idea of my German engineered car be made in Germany.

I have been reassured that the quality out of Mexico is a perfect match for Germany but a little bit of me still wants it to be German. Not enough to not buy it though ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 05:16 AM   #9
rahul.r
Australia
Rep

Quote:
No rational reason... I just like the idea of my German engineered car be made in Germany.

I have been reassured that the quality out of Mexico is a perfect match for Germany but a little bit of me still wants it to be German. Not enough to not buy it though ;-)
Yes totally agree on that one, even I went through the same feelings. All the nice phrases about European build quality. I was just asking to see if you were aware of some negative stories with regards the Mexican build, none so that's good! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #10
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Yes totally agree on that one, even I went through the same feelings. All the nice phrases about European build quality. I was just asking to see if you were aware of some negative stories with regards the Mexican build, none so that's good! Thanks.
I have seen some posts from US buyers and they have said the build quality of Mexican cars is equal to German built cars.
Apparently, the equipment used to build the cars in Mexico is exactly the same as that in Germany.
      04-16-2021, 05:19 AM   #11
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Quote:
I have seen some posts from US buyers and they have said the build quality of Mexican cars is equal to German built cars.
Apparently, the equipment used to build the cars in Mexico is exactly the same as that in Germany.
This is true
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:26 PM   #12
as6400
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

What is the average wait time now for m340 order
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #13
MutantStrawberry
Australia
Rep
Drives: G22

Anyone else waiting on a 4 Series from Germany? I ordered a 420i back in January and was given an April 9 build slot. According to the dealer it is at the port waiting for a ship but I should have it late May/early June. Looking at the shipping schedules though I can't see it getting here before late June.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 06:45 PM   #14
rahul.r
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantStrawberry View Post
Anyone else waiting on a 4 Series from Germany? I ordered a 420i back in January and was given an April 9 build slot. According to the dealer it is at the port waiting for a ship but I should have it late May/early June. Looking at the shipping schedules though I can't see it getting here before late June.
If you have the VIN number try pasting it in the link:
https://www.hoeghautoliners.com/my-cargo

IF BMW is using HOEGH then you should be able see the ship that your car is assigned to. Once you get the ship name you can track it using marinetraffic.com
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 08:32 PM   #15
MutantStrawberry
Australia
Rep

Quote:
If you have the VIN number try pasting it in the link:
https://www.hoeghautoliners.com/my-cargo

IF BMW is using HOEGH then you should be able see the ship that your car is assigned to. Once you get the ship name you can track it using marinetraffic.com
It's not assigned to a ship yet according to the dealer. If they're using Hoegh the next scheduled vessel from Bremerhaven to Port Kembla doesn't depart until the 8th of May. If they use Wallenius Wilhelmsen then there's one leaving tomorrow, hopefully it ends up on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 09:29 PM   #16
Enobar
Rep

Anyone know which ships they use from Mexico?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 10:26 PM   #17
Terman
Australia
Rep
Drives: VW Golf, 2021 BMW 330i

Quote:
HOEGH CHIBA is one vessel I know of - as previously mentioned by Rahul.

In my case, my car was built Feb. 2021 at the Mexico plant. I'm expecting delivery early next month - it's currently on HOEGH CHIBA

Njoy!

Last edited by Terman; 04-28-2021 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #18
rahul.r
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hoegh Serenity Ace is another one from Mexico.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 11:45 PM   #19
MutantStrawberry
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You can see the shipping schedules for Höegh here:

https://www.hoeghautoliners.com/sail...?schedule=port

And Wallenius Wilhelmsen here:

https://www.walleniuswilhelmsen.com/schedules
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 12:23 AM   #20
Enobar
Rep

So... unless I'm not doing this right, it seems that none of the Wallenius Whilhelmsen routes go from Mexico to Australia, meaning it has to be Hoegh. And the next sailing from Lazaro Cardenas to Melbourne is May 10th. My car was apparently due to be produced by the end of this month... so I can hope that it makes it for that sailing, which would put its arrival into Melbourne on July 2nd.... I Hope it makes that ship!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:52 AM   #21
Enobar
Rep

Oooh update... car is built and awaiting shipping! Dealers says its highly likely that my car will be on that ship, but it hasn't been assigned yet. *eep* the excitement is growing.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #22
rahul.r
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Oooh update... car is built and awaiting shipping! Dealers says its highly likely that my car will be on that ship, but it hasn't been assigned yet. *eep* the excitement is growing.

There's something quite exciting about tracking and awaiting a custom build. A car that is built to specifications that you would've played around several times in your head, built in a factory several thousand miles away, transported half way across the globe in a cargo ship, destined to be driven by you.

Finally there is the anticipation of welcoming it in the middle of a raging pandemic in other parts of the world.
Appreciate 0