Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i with RWD or AWD?

04-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #45
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
The part numbers for the springs and dampers are different for the M340i and M340xi and these are different than any of the 330i part numbers. Of course, that doesn't tell us anything about ride height.
the part numbers do not answer that question, but BMW told us directly in the press releases for the 540i, then M550i, then 330i, then yet again for the M340i that the sport suspensions are the same. the nature of the G series chassis eliminated whatever issue BMW felt lowering Xdrive cars would cause in the geometry of the FXX chassis

obviously with xdrive/RWD and 4cyl/6 cyl different weight distro's you need physically different springs to achieve similar results.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #46
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I really like the Quattro AWD in my S4. I've enjoyed the AWD in the two Audi's I've had.

However, as has been stated, their greatest traction benefit has been on traction limited road conditions, particularly snow.
Yes, and obviously, AWD greatly aids in traction off the line compared to RWD with same tires.

Put tires designed for the surface and RWD is very competent in snow, and AWD will be more so, as the added traction of the proper tire for the surface will also benefit AWD as it does RWD. However, that is still only true for acceleration, as braking and directional changes are not improved due to AWD.

It is true that AWD handles high speed cornering differently. But, to really get the proper sense and feel of that difference one has to be driving at very very high road speeds. Modern AWD can have an advantage on a track and on high speed street driving, but it comes down to how fast one is driving. RWD with LSD can rotate fantastically such that a corner can be attacked at greater angle to what one can do with AWD. The approaches are different as they achieve that same thing, going through/around a corner. Which one a person likes, in terms of feel is subjective.
These are STREET cars after all not track cars, regardless of marketing hype.

If I go back to BMW I will get RWD not the AWD, knowing the BMW's AWD is as advanced as Audi's Quattro. For me though, any Audi should have Quattro as that is the default "high performance" setup for Audi. BMW's default "high performance" set up has traditionally been the RWD, and that is it's base configuration, whereas Audi is FWD for the A4/S4.

The new 3 series may prove differently though. The M340Xi may turn out to be the better all around handler, but, it may not. Testing and driving will tell.
Still, for me I enjoy the feel of how RWD goes about it's cornering and handling business.
Appreciate 1
alex23642857.00
      04-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #47
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

the M340 was designed to be xdrive only originally so I would argue that is the optimal setup... rwd model only added late in development for the USA market
Appreciate 1
RPM1123280.00
      04-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #48
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
the M340 was designed to be xdrive only originally so I would argue that is the optimal setup... rwd model only added late in development for the USA market
Unless I missed something this is entirely conjecture. There is no evidence of this unless you have something I haven’t seen.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #49
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Unless I missed something this is entirely conjecture. There is no evidence of this unless you have something I haven’t seen.
A few points... 1. our resident insider posted on the new model thread numerous updates that the m340 was going to be xdrive only and it wasn't until much later in the process that a rwd model was created and the rwd model is ONLY for the USA market 2. At the press track test event all of the cars were xdrive, when trying to put thier best foot forward they chose the xdrive car.

The us only rwd version was likely created to deal with USA market sales risk driven by prevalent traditionalist pushback against awd, based on years ago when awd was just for snow. Long before using electronic differentials to manage transferring power around to maximize grip on tarmac. Obviously it was a strong enough business case that they slapped together a rwd version.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #50
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
they slapped together a rwd version.
lmao... Yeah I'm sure they just removed a few bolts at the last second. Because BMW doesn't know how to engineer RWD vehicles. Many people in the USA, including myself, enjoy the driving dynamics of a rear wheel drive car. Your post sounds ridiculous.
Appreciate 5
      04-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #51
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
lmao... Yeah I'm sure they just removed a few bolts at the last second. Because BMW doesn't know how to engineer RWD vehicles. Many people in the USA, including myself, enjoy the driving dynamics of a rear wheel drive car. Your post sounds ridiculous.
actually this is exactly why BMWNA put together a business case for the USA to retain a RWD version... clearly you (and others) wouldn't consider AWD version and they wanted to maintain a foot in the market with those who do not want to consider AWD out of principle.

I am always in favor of more consumer choice but the fact is for most of the planning cycle the M340 was intended to be AWD only. How the decision to add a RWD variant compromises that model remains to be seen once they start hitting the roads (and test tracks) it might be significant, it might be not at all. But if you want to believe BMW built a RWD model because they feel it is the superior drivetrain for this vehicle that is not fact, else they would offer RWD globally.
Appreciate 1
BigSky702687.00
      04-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #52
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
actually this is exactly why BMWNA put together a business case for the USA to retain a RWD version... clearly you (and others) wouldn't consider AWD version and they wanted to maintain a foot in the market with those who do not want to consider AWD out of principle.

I am always in favor of more consumer choice but the fact is for most of the planning cycle the M340 was intended to be AWD only. How the decision to add a RWD variant compromises that model remains to be seen once they start hitting the roads (and test tracks) it might be significant, it might be not at all. But if you want to believe BMW built a RWD model because they feel it is the superior drivetrain for this vehicle that is not fact, else they would offer RWD globally.
You haven’t the slightest clue what you’re talking about.
Appreciate 3
      04-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #53
alex2364
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

Again this is entirely conjecture on your part. The G20 chassis was built from the beginning with RWD and AWD in mind. There are several versions of the G20 available only as a RWD in other parts of the world. Adding a B58 engine to the G20 doesn't make it more optimal for AWD.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #54
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

The compromise is that the car introduces the risk of having more fun.
Appreciate 5
Red Bread4463.00
alex23642857.00
wknddrivr464.50
hans007604.50
      04-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #55
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:

Great post! I couldn't have said it any better myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #56
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
this is entirely wishful thinking on your part driven by a desire to reinforce an inflexible opinion that RWD is superior to AWD

Also supports my point above because you have used no information leaked during development nor do you have a response to the fact that the RWD model is USA only. if RWD was meant to be the optimal set up wouldnt it be global?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #57
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

AWD with no compromise sounds like a thumbs up for me. Waiting till 2022 to get a 2020 at half price with low miles and fully loaded. Unlimited miles warranty with an extra year for good measure means getting a car that's better than new especially after bootmod.
Appreciate 1
OUGrad05523.00
      04-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #58
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
this is entirely wishful thinking on your part driven by a desire to reinforce an inflexible opinion that RWD is superior to AWD

Also supports my point above because you have used no information leaked during development nor do you have a response to the fact that the RWD model is USA only. if RWD was meant to be the optimal set up wouldnt it be global?
Are you this forum's thought police?

Sorry to disappoint you, but being able to break the rear tires loose on demand and fishtail around a corner is a lot of fun for some of us.

You must be a blast to hang out with.
Appreciate 3
      04-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #59
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Never said RWD was superior or optimal. I just said it was more fun. And that's for me, I'm not saying you can't have more fun with an AWD car.

Others have made good points about RWD/AWD and I won't get guessing about what the car was "meant" to have.
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      04-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #60
paulbazo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550ix

AWD
I have an M550ix and it drives great.
Appreciate 2
DZ F30303.50
xlover2191.00
      05-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #61
tyaremko
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Went with the xdrive model. Not sure if they even offer RWD in Canada
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #62
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

I live in Chicago suburbs and I had 5 RWD 5ers going back to 2001. I abhorred the idea of getting AWD. My 2017 540iX was my first AWD 5er. The car still handles great, and it drives awesome in the snow. I am not going back to RWD. I test drove a M340iX. That car is spectacular and very sporty even with AWD. When my lease is up in a year that is what I shall order.
Appreciate 2
BigSky702687.00
Fuller1216.50
      05-21-2019, 06:52 PM   #63
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you this forum's thought police?

Sorry to disappoint you, but being able to break the rear tires loose on demand and fishtail around a corner is a lot of fun for some of us.

You must be a blast to hang out with.
I don't know where you live, and do most of your driving, but many of us are forced to take our daily drivers onto heavily congested roads, which we share with many pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists alike. Potentially losing control of the vehicle in such conditions isn't my idea of a fun time. I don't particularly care for receiving tickets either. As such, there's not much opportunity around here to slide our cars around corners like the Dukes of Hazard. Soon, the only place you'll find rwd bmws equipped with MT will be in museums.
Appreciate 1
BigSky702687.00
      05-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #64
alex2364
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I don't know where you live, and do most of your driving, but many of us are forced to take our daily drivers onto heavily congested roads, which we share with many pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists alike. Potentially losing control of the vehicle in such conditions isn't my idea of a fun time. I don't particularly care for receiving tickets either. As such, there's not much opportunity around here to slide our cars around corners like the Dukes of Hazard. Soon, the only place you'll find rwd bmws equipped with MT will be in museums.
If you need AWD to avoid crashing into pedestrians, cyclists, and other motorists then you need to go back to driving school and learn how to drive properly. AWD isn't going to defy the laws of physics.
Appreciate 4
MadMoose118.00
nola2atx124.00
kyrix1st2356.50
      05-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #65
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
If you need AWD to avoid crashing into pedestrians, cyclists, and other motorists then you need to go back to driving school and learn how to drive properly. AWD isn't going to defy the laws of physics.
The point is you can't fully enjoy the pure RWD dynamics if you can't slide sideways so if you've got a weather reason to go AWD, no harm done. The new xDrive dynamics feel RWD for day to day driving so not much downside.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #66
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

What's the turn radius on the 2wd is it better than 4wd. What's the suspension setup is there any difference as this is 4wd worldwide.
Appreciate 0