Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What is that noise? Identifying rattling noises

06-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #23
Beembar51
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1

Rattling Noise

Hmm. Some interesting possibilities. I thought the noise I was hearing from the rear might be related to the spare tire and the cover.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #24
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baref33t View Post
Mine started creaking and rattling from the rear, just one week after buying. Worsening day by day. Noise seemed to be coming from the heat shields plates which partitions the muffler/exhaust from the base of the trunk. 2 of the 3 heat shields were creaking with applying light pressure. After readjusting the position and tension of the plates, the noise have improved but still noticeable when going over bumps and on gravel roads.
Didn't expect a new Bimmer to sound like my old school bus.
Hmm 🤔 May have to try this!
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:14 PM   #25
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i RWD

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Ok. So I'm not crazy... occasionally I hear a creaking/squeaking noise, sounds like it's coming from the back. Also, when in sport+ I hear a vibration type sound in the front, near the console.
Not sure about the front/console.
But what you hear in the rear is the typical BMW shadowline trim and doors rubbing against it.
Gummi Pfledge is your friend. I've had to use it on all my bimmers with shadowline trim.
Oh no! Is this issue still not fixed on the G20? This drives me nuts on my F30 340i
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:38 PM   #26
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendid View Post
Oh no! Is this issue still not fixed on the G20? This drives me nuts on my F30 340i
If BMW would use softer interior materials, then there would be less rattles.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #27
Rayneman
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 BMW 330i xdrive

My 330 is very quiet with no rattles, squeaks or creaks yet. My ‘16 328 was a rattle machine unlike any car I’ve ever had. Every piece of hard plastic would creak with the slightest bump...it sounded like empty plastic water bottles being squeezed all the time.

I can tell this car will be better just by pushing on the various pieces of trim and feeling almost no movement or “crunching” noises.

I hope it stays this way.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #28
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
2 months ownership can say I don't have this rear end knock your all talking about.. my cabin is extremely quiet I drive muted radio and comfort and not rattling or creaking, If its a widespread issue im sure bmw will address it, to early tho?? No??
lol The shadowline problem has been present for atleast a generation or two and BMW has fixed this simple problem so what makes you think BMW will fix this quickly.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #29
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

In sport mode, there is a specific throttle/load point where the exhaust resonance makes the front-center speaker rattle. If the engine load is just right, the speaker rattle can be very noticeable. If I didn't know better, I would think that they're using the center speaker to generate some of the artificial exhaust sounds inside the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #30
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
In sport mode, there is a specific throttle/load point where the exhaust resonance makes the front-center speaker rattle. If the engine load is just right, the speaker rattle can be very noticeable. If I didn't know better, I would think that they're using the center speaker to generate some of the artificial exhaust sounds inside the cabin.
Haha, yes, I came to the same conclusion yesterday. It is particularly noticeable when in Sport Plus and accelerating hard, probably because they are piping into the cabin a noise which is pretty heavy on bass. Nice job BMW...if you really feel the need to artificially feed exhaust noise into the cabin, at least take the time to make sure the speakers can handle it!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #31
Macsrul
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i Gran coupe

I have a loud rattling when I first start up and it's in the shop waiting for a part to come in from Bmw they said it was a pipe that is connected to the muffler that's making the noise
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 10:31 PM   #32
Fean07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Haha, yes, I came to the same conclusion yesterday. It is particularly noticeable when in Sport Plus and accelerating hard, probably because they are piping into the cabin a noise which is pretty heavy on bass. Nice job BMW...if you really feel the need to artificially feed exhaust noise into the cabin, at least take the time to make sure the speakers can handle it!
This has been bothering me since day 2. I was going back to dealership and request to replace the center speaker. Do you believe there is no fix for it ?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 04:29 AM   #33
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fean07 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
This has been bothering me since day 2. I was going back to dealership and request to replace the center speaker. Do you believe there is no fix for it ?
I must admit that I haven't tried to fix it yet. It's a little annoying, but not yet reached the point where it overcomes the level of annoyance that would be generated by having to go to the dealer!
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #34
MAK-G20
Registered
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Squeaking Sounds Solved!

Issue Solved!

I had the same noises and they seem coming from the back end of the car. Took it to the dealership and surprisingly pointed out that I was the problem!

They said on most German cars you need to frequently take care of the rubbers around the trunk and doors!

The sprayed the trunk rubbers with "Rubber Care" which can be found in any convenient store and the squeaking sounds were gone.

Went and bought me a can!
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #35
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumkumji View Post
Issue Solved!

I had the same noises and they seem coming from the back end of the car. Took it to the dealership and surprisingly pointed out that I was the problem!

They said on most German cars you need to frequently take care of the rubbers around the trunk and doors!

The sprayed the trunk rubbers with "Rubber Care" which can be found in any convenient store and the squeaking sounds were gone.

How often does this need to be applied? Kind of surprised since these vehicles are new from the factory, that this wasn't addressed during production, or if it was, this indicates it needs to be sprayed pretty often.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #36
MAK-G20
Registered
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
How often does this need to be applied? Kind of surprised since these vehicles are new from the factory, that this wasn't addressed during production, or if it was, this indicates it needs to be sprayed pretty often.
Well because I live in a very dusty area, for me, it has to be a monthly routine.

The science behind it, as they claim, is the dirt between the rubber and the surface it closes on frictions together reflecting the squeaking noise.

Guess it depends on how frequent you clean that rubber...
Appreciate 1
Pauleebe379.50
      06-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #37
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumkumji View Post
Issue Solved!

Yep...That's the fix...But it shouldn't need to be fixed. It's just crappy build quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 10:51 PM   #38
mattuhtack
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

I've had the car since end of February and I have about 4K miles on it (work commute is pretty far). Starting hearing the rattling noises around I wanna say 2500-3000 miles or so. I let my dealership now when I had to take it in for the recall, told me to find where the rattling is and to let them know, but the only thing is idk where it's coming from?? It's definitely coming from the back but idk where. It comes and goes but I mostly hear it when I'm driving through a parking lot at slow speeds. It's been driving crazy and would love to know if anyone has found the source of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #39
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattuhtack View Post
I've had the car since end of February and I have about 4K miles on it (work commute is pretty far). Starting hearing the rattling noises around I wanna say 2500-3000 miles or so. I let my dealership now when I had to take it in for the recall, told me to find where the rattling is and to let them know, but the only thing is idk where it's coming from?? It's definitely coming from the back but idk where. It comes and goes but I mostly hear it when I'm driving through a parking lot at slow speeds. It's been driving crazy and would love to know if anyone has found the source of it.
I’ve been having the same issue, it started right around 2500 miles. I know some other users have had the issue taken care of and it turned out to be the muffler. Mine sounds like it’s coming from under the trunk so probably the same case, I’m taking mine in Monday
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #40
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
I'm starting to think I'm just hearing things... I'm hearing rattles and creaks even when I'm dreaming
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #41
Heart1432
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
Had the car for 2months now. There is a rattling noise coming from either the trunk or back seats anyone had any luck identifying the mystery creaking sound in their G20??
I have mine for a month now and hear the same rattling sounds in the rear; I gave it twice to two different dealerships. The first one said they fixed it but a week later it again started. Then I took it to the dealer I brought the car from, they kept it for 10 days and said they cannot fix it and they will contact BMW if there is any fix available for this. He also stated that there will be a technician from BMW every once or twice a month visiting the dealership and told we they will get the car checked by him. Super disappointed !
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #42
Heart1432
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
I'm starting to think I'm just hearing things... I'm hearing rattles and creaks even when I'm dreaming
Trust me I feel the same way
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #43
Heart1432
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattuhtack View Post
I can check the invoice they gave me, they have mentioned something in the document where the noise is coming from and they couldn't fix it. They also checked it with vehicles with 0 miles and are able to hear the rattle sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #44
klokan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart1432 View Post
I can check the invoice they gave me, they have mentioned something in the document where the noise is coming from and they couldn't fix it. They also checked it with vehicles with 0 miles and are able to hear the rattle sound.
It would be great if you could check.
Appreciate 0