Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What do you like the most about your G20 and what do you hate about it?

06-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

What do you like the most about your G20 and what do you hate about it?

Be a cool thread, for me I love the interior quality and how well put together it is,

Dislike: The glitchy CarPlay/Bluetooth system in place,

What about all of you?
Appreciate 1
Jmpascual687.50
      06-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
johnnyg238
Drive it like you stole it
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Sapphire Black M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
agree with tight interior and love BMW assistant.

Carplay integration has been absolute garbage for me and I can't figure out why...
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg238 View Post
agree with tight interior and love BMW assistant.

Carplay integration has been absolute garbage for me and I can't figure out why...
Ugh man it's brutal, half the time it does not even work, also connecteddrive is a pile of garbage... I hope those "Over the Air" updates they advertised will fix some of the bugs
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
Ugh man it's brutal, half the time it does not even work, also connecteddrive is a pile of garbage... I hope those "Over the Air" updates they advertised will fix some of the bugs
This is making me really anxious for my M340 I'm picking up soon. I rely on my phone integration for Waze and music each trip, and already know I'm going to be horrifically annoyed when it doesn't work as often as people are commenting on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
Quote:
This is making me really anxious for my M340 I'm picking up soon. I rely on my phone integration for Waze and music each trip, and already know I'm going to be horrifically annoyed when it doesn't work as often as people are commenting on the forums.
Dude I love my car and I have nothing but good things to say, but I gotta be honest with you man the phone integration is terrible, again I'm sure a software update will fix a lot of the issues but I've had multiple dropped calls, people not hearing me, and just my phone not connecting in general
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Come on guys - Phone integration? all you have to say about 382HP car?

Here is a trick: set up your wifi properly with the password and if you ahve a hot spot set it up too via ATT.

If the phone does not connect to Apple play - toggle your wifi off and on. Wireless devices, settings on the right side. wifi click off - it will say deactivating. click back on - it will say activating.

- 382 HP
- Really nice suspension set up which translates in unbelievable handling
- Improved stiffness of the body which translates in really nice ride even on 19s
- Perfect integration of AWD system that feels like RWD car
- Good auto gear box that does not make you miss DCT
- New tech - that's what made me buy the car vs M3, Porsche, golf R etc (remote start, connected services and level 2 self driving - which is the best i the industry)

Dislikes:

- Oil cooler on Cooling pack with no cover - had to make my own
- Wish they had M340 wagon in US - pulling at straws here
- nothing really - makes me smile everyday
Appreciate 5
drexplode1760.50
BigSky702687.00
Transfer5242.50
ben_mw23.00
      06-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
evo2335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G37 IPL (340i on the way)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
Quote:
Dude I love my car and I have nothing but good things to say, but I gotta be honest with you man the phone integration is terrible, again I'm sure a software update will fix a lot of the issues but I've had multiple dropped calls, people not hearing me, and just my phone not connecting in general
Honestly it's annoying that CarPlay doesn't connect sometimes but someone on the forums pointed out if you toggle airplane mode on and off for a few seconds, it's the quickest fix. And that has worked for me every time. So it's really not that bad.

Now the connected drive services is another story. It never updates car status (fuel level, location, doors/windows status, etc.) and I can't really get remote start to work. Only thing that works are lock and unlock, horn, lights, and 3D view.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post

Here is a trick: set up your wifi properly with the password and if you ahve a hot spot set it up too via ATT.

If the phone does not connect to Apple play - toggle your wifi off and on. Wireless devices, settings on the right side. wifi click off - it will say deactivating. click back on - it will say activating.

- 382 HP
- Improved stiffness of the body which translates in really nice ride even on 19s
- New tech - that's what made me buy the car vs M3, Porsche, golf R etc (remote start, connected services and level 2 self driving - which is the best i the industry)

Dislikes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo2335 View Post
Honestly it's annoying that CarPlay doesn't connect sometimes but someone on the forums pointed out if you toggle airplane mode on and off for a few seconds, it's the quickest fix. And that has worked for me every time. So it's really not that bad.

Now the connected drive services is another story. It never updates car status (fuel level, location, doors/windows status, etc.) and I can't really get remote start to work. Only thing that works are lock and unlock, horn, lights, and 3D view.
While I'm not going to let it ruin my new M340 experience, I wouldn't expect this to be an issue on a 60K+ car, especially when it worked flawlessly on my Camry rental a few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

- 382 HP

Dislikes:

As a future buyer, it's always good to know what the issues are. If you are spending hours in your car every day, it's nice to know that you will be able to answer calls and use the nav and music funcations flawlessly in a $60k car. Whenever I get rental Toyotas, GMs, or Dodges, etc. CarPlay always works flawlessly in $20-$30k cars. If the issue is wireless Carplay, then BMW just needs to offer USB Carplay as an option. I prefer to keep my phone plugged in when using CarPlay anyway. Wireless carplay has been a problem since 2017 and it's disheartening that BMW hasn't figured it out by now.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
As a future buyer, it's always good to know what the issues are. If you are spending hours in your car every day, it's nice to know that you will be able to answer calls and use the nav and music funcations flawlessly in a $60k car. Whenever I get rental Toyotas, GMs, or Dodges, etc. CarPlay always works flawlessly in $20-$30k cars. If the issue is wireless Carplay, then BMW just needs to offer USB Carplay as an option. I prefer to keep my phone plugged in when using CarPlay anyway. Wireless carplay has been a problem since 2017 and it's disheartening that BMW hasn't figured it out by now.
I agree that it should work. And it does. The issue is - there is so many settings in those cars now and it its not easy to figure them out. ( so it takes time to read the manual or this board to learn)
But if set up right =- they work all the time.
I have it in 2 cars now x5 and M340.
Carplay
Hotspot wifi and
connected services work on both cars everyday.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #11
BmwVegans
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 4 Series

Compared to the 2018 440 we had.

Likes: Center display improvements. Active Cruise Control. Lane departure warnings. Stiffer steering wheel.

Dislikes: Chrome trim under center display blinds the driver or passenger when the sun shines. Even with sunglasses.

Auto headlights still ignore the windshield wipers.

Radio still cannot be turned off. Only muted.

Automatic transmission is not as responsive as the manual transmission on our 2018 BMW.

Air conditioner takes longer to cool the car.

The News App is a pain to switch from World to Sports to Local?

Sensatec interior was not available in beige.

Limited choice of exterior colors.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #12
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree that it should work. And it does. The issue is - there is so many settings in those cars now and it its not easy to figure them out. ( so it takes time to read the manual or this board to learn)
But if set up right =- they work all the time.
I have it in 2 cars now x5 and M340.
Carplay
Hotspot wifi and
connected services work on both cars everyday.
I'm a longtime computer power user and a software engineer. There are no settings that work, and if there are, the software is practically broken if it doesn't just work for most people out of the box. We shouldn't have to keep deleting our phones and repairing. We shouldn't have to disable bluetooth, or re-enable bluetooth or fiddle with wifi settings, etc. That's ridiculous. That means something is broken.

My F30 has Bluetooth problems where if I switch a music source on my phone it doesn't work about 25% of the time. I have to switch the car to radio and back to media and then it will work 99% of the time. Does that mean it's not broken? you just have to switch something on/off and then it'll work! No, that means it's broken. I'm using what is called a workaround and workarounds mean core functionality is BROKEN.

If so many people are still complaining about it, then it's not working "all the time." It's great that you don't have issues. Maybe it's a particular combination of iOS hardware that is working well for you. The fact of the matter is that that is not nearly universal and your one use case does not reflect the use cases of everyone else that does have issues with it.

My 2017 X5 is so buggy that we don't even use it at all anymore. Somehow all the rentals and cars I borrow from family with Carplay work just fine though. Anecdotal evidence is meaningless. My F30 has been dead reliable, so when others say their oil filter housing gasket is leaking should I tell them that it's not the car's fault? These care are complicated and they have to drive a particular way to avoid oil filter housing gasket failures? It must be something the driver isn't doing right?
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #13
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

I see you point , but coming from software world you should see it too - that people who post about the problem - are only a small sample of owners. Those who don't have problems - don't post.

Out of the sample of people who post for whom it does not work - i bet you 70-75% is user error or not understanding how the feature works.
Just like in any It department at work.

Yes - i agree - the systems are overly complicated. Also - BMW and Connected drive are constantly fiddling with it. with updates and migrations.

Connected drive servers were down for 6-8 weeks (right when most 3 series were delivered first), so everyone's service did not work. Understanding how it works does not make me blame the car when the server is down. it's like saying - my phone doesn't work because Verizon has an outage.

Besides this point - electronics do not make me as upset about the car as it does others i guess. The thread was about the likes of the car -
so i enjoy the dynamics and performance first. Toys are extra - but they do not deter from the car performance for me.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      06-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #14
nik14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E39 E46(2) E90 F30 G01 G20

Likes - interior, all the tech items (prior car was E46 which had none of it and before that F30 which had much, much less).

Dislikes - Size and weight. I also think there's more turbo lag than on F30. I recall thinking that the F30 had hardly any turbo lag.

Could be improved - The steering is pretty good and better than F30, but the electrical steering still feels artificial compared to E46.

Luckily for me, aside from a couple initial issues with Car Play, it has not given me an issue since. It has been reliable. Hopefully, more of you have the same luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #15
dpod25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

-better interior design and fit/finish than E90 and F30
-large center touchscreen. Seriously, I don't know how I lived without a touchscreen for a long time...getting in my F36 a few days ago made me realize that
-driving dynamics (even for a Sport line like mine)
-CarPlay is much better with the bigger touchscreen, and has been working fine for me. No Carplay issues other than during the drive home from the dealer; as I've posted elsewhere, deleting and re-pairing my iPhone really did the trick. I've been able to use Waze and Apple Music together with no problems.

Dislikes:
-I really am not a fan of the new digital display in front of the driver. I mean, it's a good idea and certainly is the future for all automobiles, but IMHO BMW's implementation feels rudimentary and lackluster compared to Audi's Virtual Cockpit. The map is a good example, BMW's is just some lines to represent roads and nothing else. It reminds me of GPS systems from the late 90s. Also the shape of the gauges...I just wish BMW had an option to display their classic round gauge design instead.
-Yeah, I'm having the same Connected Drive app issues like everyone else. And it's definitely isolated to the G20. My F36 still works and updates just fine

Edit: I responded before reading the entire thread. I'll again emphasize that my CarPlay has been working fine after I deleted and re-paired my iPhone. And when I re-paired, I made sure to select the BMW from the available Bluetooth devices list on the iPhone, not the other way around. I really haven't had issues since. I also carry a Galaxy S9 (work phone) and have been able to switch between the two for Bluetooth phone functionality flawlessly. And no, I'm not an IT guy or much of a computer power user

Last edited by dpod25; 06-26-2019 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:30 PM   #16
Glassy
E36, E46, E90, E92, F32
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Seriously dislike that my window tint is triggering the auto-dim feature on both my displays. If anyone knows of a solution (aside from removing the tint) it would be greatly appreciated.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1628439

Other than that, I absolutely love the car. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

Previously was a E36, E46, E90, E92 and F32.
      06-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #17
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

Having traded in a 2018 A4 with the Virtual Cockpit on my G20, I prefer BMW's digital implementation. Audi's VC is beautiful on a test drive, but becomes mostly just a gimmick when you own one. In any mode but Map, the full screen layout is a huge swath of wasted space. Yay, big album art, a picture of my car, or a list of contacts to scroll through. And Audi charges $400/year to keep that snazzy Google Maps & search enabled, which hardly anyone talks about.

That said, I think BMW (and Audi!) could do so much more in terms of actually taking advantage of the flexible nature of a digital dash. Why can't the dash display offer customizable driver-centric widgets (TPMS, oil temp, boost, XDrive, etc) like the center display?

Other than the ConnectedDrive fiasco, the biggest surprise quirk that I don't like about my G20 is the lack of a dedicated "A/C Off" button. I didn't notice on the test drives that the button is "AC Menu". I fairly regularly like to crack open the windows and sunroof but have the hvac pull in fresh, unconditioned air. I realize there is a full hvac off coded on the down fan speed toggle, but that's not what I'm after. Poor design to have to scroll and click through iDrive just to disable A/C.

Otherwise, no complaints. My M340i is amazing. Power is ridiculous, handling is sublime, exhaust burble is both silly and wonderful. Love the "Jekyll and Hyde" nature of the car; calm, quiet, and 32+ mpg in Comfort or Eco Pro, insane snorty lunatic in Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #18
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

I thought I would hate the new digital display but I’m now loving it.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #19
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
I thought I would hate the new digital display but I'm now loving it.
Me too...particularly the screen which has the small power and torque graphics tucked inside the rev counter. They mirror the curve of the rev counter and it looks cool, without having too much info available.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #20
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta5 View Post
I don't like about my G20 is the lack of a dedicated "A/C Off" button. I didn't notice on the test drives that the button is "AC Menu". I fairly regularly like to crack open the windows and sunroof but have the hvac pull in fresh, unconditioned air. I realize there is a full hvac off coded on the down fan speed toggle, but that's not what I'm after. Poor design to have to scroll and click through iDrive just to disable A/C.
You can make a shortcut to have one of your 8 preset buttons to be AC off button
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #21
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta5 View Post
I don't like about my G20 is the lack of a dedicated "A/C Off" button. I didn't notice on the test drives that the button is "AC Menu". I fairly regularly like to crack open the windows and sunroof but have the hvac pull in fresh, unconditioned air. I realize there is a full hvac off coded on the down fan speed toggle, but that's not what I'm after. Poor design to have to scroll and click through iDrive just to disable A/C.
You can make a shortcut to have one of your 8 preset buttons to be AC off button
I tried that. It won't let me create a shortcut to flip the setting, just one to the AC menu itself, which is exactly the same as hitting the Menu A/C button. I'll try again...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:58 PM   #22
OldOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Annoyance #1: no factory spare with ZTK. BMW should have been able to come up with a freaking 19" wheel to fit over these brakes, so I didn't have to rig my own solution which is a freaking Audi spare with a spacer.

Annoyance #2: the useless tachometer in the HID. All this display real estate, and you get a small, unreadable bar in the lower left corner. It's almost like they wanted to punish you for not buying a true ///M car where they actually got the HID tach right. Used to hate the reversed tach in the digital instrument cluster, but it's growing on me: being reversed puts the redline portion of the dial closer to the center of your field of view.

Annoyance #3: skinny 225 front tires on a 3900+lb, 380+HP car. Kinda limits the potential of the improved suspension.

Annoyance #4: the auto stop/start feature defaulting to ON on every start. Well, coded it away.

Annoyance #5: BMW Connected app: no remote engine start on Android version.

Annoyance #6: no more automatic sunshade and manual shades in the back. Why, BMW, why???

Likes: everything else. The M340i is a huge improvement over the F30 340i in every way, especially in the driving dynamics department, where it matters. Finally, proper suspension with xDrive!

Last edited by OldOne; 06-28-2019 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 0