Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i Power Loss

08-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
Mark Venture
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i gone, G26 coming

M340i Power Loss

There was a post about a recall being done to meet environmental requirements. Environmental adjustments I would think usually equate to a negative effect on vehicle performance.
Two questions - I believe the posters who got a notification about this were Canada based. Has anyone in the US received an environmental recall notice?
And for anyone who has had this recall performed, did you notice a performance hit after it was done?
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Venture View Post
There was a post about a recall being done to meet environmental requirements. Environmental adjustments I would think usually equate to a negative effect on vehicle performance.
Two questions - I believe the posters who got a notification about this were Canada based. Has anyone in the US received an environmental recall notice?
And for anyone who has had this recall performed, did you notice a performance hit after it was done?
Mission Tuning posted that the first M340i's off the production line had ~400whp and based on their findings the latest updates lower the horsepower to closer to 338whp which matches with the advertised 382 hp at the crank.

You can read more about it, along with their custom tune here: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1638864

It sounds like the recall is related to fixing the horsepower down to the 338whp and probably in some way also has to do with emissions.

Last edited by Liquid_Ice; 08-11-2019 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

So basically, avoid bringing it in for the recall for as long as possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
Mark Venture
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i gone, G26 coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
So basically, avoid bringing it in for the recall for as long as possible.
I'll be factory ordering, so I guess I'll get what I get. The lousy part is that I've test driven a couple M340i's and since I don't know what versions are on the cars I've tested, no way to know if the performance feel on them will be the same as what I get from a factory order - which will come with the 'dumbed down' firmware. (I assume firmware will be latest version from the factory.)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Or it could just be a tuning company spouting BS to sell their products.

Of course, it could also be BMW just wanting to get fantastic initial review models out there and then dumb them down to get them back into warranty/service specs.

I wouldn't get out the pitchforks just yet. Everyone gets used to lots of power immediately no matter what kind of car it is. It's easy to take advantage of that tendency to convince people their car is slower than it used to be.
Appreciate 0