Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Weather Stripping Damage After Tint

08-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Weather Stripping Damage After Tint

We picked up our 6 day old car from being tinted today and unfortunately it looks like some damage took place on the weather stripping by the passenger rear view mirror. We noticed after it was home. I contacted the tint person and they said they the tint goes on the inside (basically that they never touch that area). I asked about using a heat gun because it looks melted but he said they only use that for the back window. I know 100% it wasn't like that At the dealer. We didn't notice it in 4 days of work driving. I don't want to blame but it's hard to imagine this just happening randomly.

Can anyone tell me if this is something I can order new stripping and replace it? Not a huge deal but definitely a bummer in the new car. I checked getbmwparts and it doesn't look like they have anything yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
mathys
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 - G01 - F56

Maybe they touched that area while holding a heated heat gun? Seems due to temperature.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
That sucks. Hope you get it worked out.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Never ever drop a car for tints without you being present during the installation. Number two, a reputable installer would never ever take a knife anywhere near your car when installing the film. Cuts today are most computer based.

Since you didn't notice the damage before you have no leg to stand on. It is also possible the car came like this from the dealer and you didn't notice.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
DallasExec
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

That sucks.

I think it might have come that way from the dealer. I don't see how your tint guy could have been near that spot. Seems more likely it happened during transportation or prep for delivery to you.

I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to replace the trim.

Worst case, they ask you pay something for the trim, but that piece is not likely to cost much.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
ParrotBro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series since 2004

Sorry I am not on the tint companies side but I see no way this can happen when installing tint. Even a cheap place wouldn't have access to do that damage.

Just my opinion. Better to take it to the dealer and have them fix it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Never ever drop a car for tints without you being present during the installation. Number two, a reputable installer would never ever take a knife anywhere near your car when installing the film. Cuts today are most computer based.

Since you didn't notice the damage before you have no leg to stand on. It is also possible the car came like this from the dealer and you didn't notice.
There are still a TON of very good installers that cut the film with a knife right on the glass line. Gets the best results if they know what they're doing, IMO. Computer cut films are easier for inexperienced installers.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
dshahs420
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
There are still a TON of very good installers that cut the film with a knife right on the glass line. Gets the best results if they know what they're doing, IMO. Computer cut films are easier for inexperienced installers.
+1. Computer cuts are just a gimmick and they are never very precise.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshahs420 View Post
Quote:
Not in my experience. My installer has over 30 years in the business and this guy tints high end metal all day long. He never takes a knife anywhere near your car.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshahs420 View Post
Quote:
Never? Just like you can drive a BMW or entry level car, same exists for tint software. If your shop buys crap, the results are crap. Buy good software and plotter and the resulting patterns are spot on. With quality software, for most cars the pattern options allow cuts based on dealer/customer wants. Also, over time the software pays for itself in less material waste. Especially so if the tinter is selling higher end tint.

There are clearly cases where hand cutting is still needed, but it's becoming increasingly rare. Most tinters who "claim" computer cutting is inferior are either:

Too cheap to spend $ on their business

Too cheap to buy quality software/plotter

Full of excuses/stories
      08-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

In my experience, it's mostly inexperienced installers, trunk slammers and shops running on a shoestring budget who still hand cut.
      08-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #12
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Quote:

In my experience, it's mostly inexperienced installers, trunk slammers and shops running on a shoestring budget who still hand cut.
I've had it done both ways but I've never gone to a place with a "shoestring budget." I'm sure the cheapest places don't use computer aided cutting tools, but that doesn't mean all places that hand cut are like the places you've been. Computer cutting assures an almost perfect fit every time regardless of skill level. My original point was that there is nothing wrong with am installer using a knife on the glass. An experienced installer would never damage the car installing tint.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMV///M3 View Post
We picked up our 6 day old car from being tinted today and unfortunately it looks like some damage took place on the weather stripping by the passenger rear view mirror. We noticed after it was home. I contacted the tint person and they said they the tint goes on the inside (basically that they never touch that area). I asked about using a heat gun because it looks melted but he said they only use that for the back window. I know 100% it wasn't like that At the dealer. We didn't notice it in 4 days of work driving. I don't want to blame but it's hard to imagine this just happening randomly.

Can anyone tell me if this is something I can order new stripping and replace it? Not a huge deal but definitely a bummer in the new car. I checked getbmwparts and it doesn't look like they have anything yet.
In the second pic I can see the film behind the glass. Appears the cut line isn't even straight, so definitely hand cut (poorly hand cut - sorry to say).

When film is hand cut, the installer lays the film on the outside of wet glass to lay it down. They then use a knife to cut the film smaller before they get to the fine edge cuts. It's quite possible the installer dragged the knife and cut the rubber when they were cutting the excess away.

My guess is if they created enough heat to melt the rubber they'd also have melted the plastic mirror housing next to it. Also if the rubber was melted it wouldn't necessarily pull apart like that, it would just shrink, discolor and harden.

I believe that rubber trim is a single piece around the door glass. Not terribly expensive, but probably a couple hours of labor. Check www.realoem.com.
      08-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #14
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've had it done both ways but I've never gone to a place with a "shoestring budget." I'm sure the cheapest places don't use computer aided cutting tools, but that doesn't mean all places that hand cut are like the places you've been. Computer cutting assures an almost perfect fit every time regardless of skill level. My original point was that there is nothing wrong with am installer using a knife on the glass. An experienced installer would never damage the car installing tint.
I've learned over time to never say never. I agree with you in that there's definitely applications where hand cutting makes more sense. Few, but there are some cases. Experience doesn't make you perfect, just makes you less prone to error. Razor blades sometimes scratch, even when the installer takes every precaution, buys the best stainless blades, changes them often and cleans the glass before touching. Things happen. I've also seen rubber and defrosters accidentally cut by experienced installers.

Dealers selling higher end tint understand the value in material saving when using computer cutting. Those rolls of tint are pricey and every few inches (or feet if the installer isnt efficient) saved per car amounts to $$ saved in material. All experienced installers know this.

Plus, dealers buying enough material from the better vendors of film can get the computer cutting tools cheaper than normal. The film makers do their best to make it a win-win. Modern tint tools are all excellent. Xpel, llumar, etc all make fantastic computer cut software.

Maybe your shop isn't operating on a shoe string budget, but they might be making penny wise and dollar foolish business mistakes. Maybe.
      08-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #15
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In other words, amateurs.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #16
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In other words, amateurs.
Lol. Well, there's the personality type that resists change. I'm sure there's some experienced veterans who prefer to hand cut and I can (kinda) respect that. At the same time I'd also be curious if these same people stay up to date with modern tint materials, or if they're still using 80s grade film.

I've experienced guys like this before. I ask them to do the work in a closed garage and they spend 10 minutes swearing up and down that they're the best and "never" end up with debris under the film..... Like that. I've learned and no longer feed that type of personality. I'm gone when I hear what doesn't sit right with me. Plus I have a good friend in the business for 20 years and he's game to test out new product (on his cars, not his customers). Just passing my experience along.
      08-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #17
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Found the part online and local BMW dealer can order. About $36. I'm wondering if this is something we can install ourselves. It looks like it just fits in the groove with a pry tool. Anyone have any experience with this? I'd like to avoid BMW installing as their labor is expensive. But if for a reason the mirror had to come off i wouldn't attempt.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #18
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Thanks for all the replies, it didn't come from the dealer that way. I didn't stay and watch the tint. This tint person tints for all vehicles from the local auto mall and was recommended by the GSM from our local Porche dealer. There is just no way i could see that it wasn't done when tinting but as someone said i don't have a leg to stand on. Bummer, but hopefully a quick fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #19
ParrotBro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Maybe the tint guy was holding the heat gun and had it on when he was not supposed to and it was pointing at that area.

Would be cool if you can see security footage.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:56 AM   #20
ParrotBro
Enlisted Member
Rep

About the part take it to a body shop repair that has good reputation and they can replace the part easy and will look new.
Appreciate 0