Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB4/JB+ Users: Anyone approached by SAs with "Suspected engine tuning"?

08-15-2021, 02:46 AM   #1
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
JB4/JB+ Users: Anyone approached by SAs with "Suspected engine tuning"?

Hey,

I know this is answered for all Flash tuned vehicles, and the answer is simply "yes", if your vehicle is flash tuned, bringing it into the dealership will mean you forfeit powertrain warranty.

However, I want to know if any piggyback users have recently had their SAs tell them that their piggyback has triggered "Suspicion of engine tuning" when plugged into ISTA and is now also flagged for power mods.

Let me know below if you have experienced such events, or if they continue to not say anything about your piggyback mod.

Regards,
g20beam

Last edited by g20beam; 08-15-2021 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Hey,

I know this is answered for all Flash tuned vehicles, and the answer is simply "yes", if your vehicle is flash tuned, bringing it into the dealership will mean you forfeit powertrain warranty.
that's not necessarily true. Your warranty is voided only if you damaged a part and you are asking them to fix it for free. Putting a tune does not automatically void your warranty.

I have highly modified leased cars, they all get service and never had any issues.

tuning your car carries a risk, if you are not willing to take that risk. enjoy your car stock.
With that being said, the risk of getting caught after using a piggyback is very close to zero

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
JasonDot579.50
      08-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #3
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Hey,

that's not necessarily true. Your warranty is voided only if you damaged a part and you are asking them to fix it for free. Putting a tune does not automatically void your warranty.

I have highly modified leased cars, they all get service and never had any issues.

tuning your car carries a risk, if you are not willing to take that risk. enjoy your car stock.
With that being said, the risk of getting caught after using a piggyback is very close to zero
Thanks for your response Mike.

I know this question has been asked a ton of times, however, my personal experience with Bootmod3 was that when plugged into ISTA, dealer was showed "Suspected engine tuning" and my vehicle was flagged as a result of that. They didn't tell me warranty was voided but that all warranty repairs are now submitted to BMW NA for approval before repair can be completed on my vehicle. That goes for any repair, even if it is unrelated to powertrain.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 10:25 PM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

My car has been plugged in three times. Once after running a JB+ and twice after running a JB4. Nothing popped up and car is said to be "clean". I asked the SA since he's a cool guy and is also into tuning and stuff. He said my car hasn't been flagged. *touchwood*
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
g20beam470.50
      08-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Thanks for your response Mike.

I know this question has been asked a ton of times, however, my personal experience with Bootmod3 was that when plugged into ISTA, dealer was showed "Suspected engine tuning" and my vehicle was flagged as a result of that. They didn't tell me warranty was voided but that all warranty repairs are now submitted to BMW NA for approval before repair can be completed on my vehicle. That goes for any repair, even if it is unrelated to powertrain.
Since your car was flagged they will be double-checking, but you should not have any issues as long as the repair is not related to your tune.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
g20beam470.50