Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Reliability: Perception and Reality

03-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #23
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I think in most cases the costs of the old car are more rationalization to get something you already want (a new car) than a real financial argument.

Also, good luck getting a new BMW transmission for $2000. When you are told you need $6000+ for a repair, $500 a month plus a new car starts to sound pretty good.
Oh of course, it's added justification to get something they want, not necessarily based on actual financial logic.

The $2k was just a generic example to represent one of the reasons people give up on a car and then justify it from a financial perspective. Most people don't buy BMW's, or luxury cars in general for that matter - but the repair vs. new car dilemma applies to all cars, even that trusty, economical civic.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #24
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

It's not always about one being financially irresponsible. Just the sheer amount of time one have to dedicate to staying on top of maintaining an older car especially a high mileage bimmer can leave you traumatized.
After putting almost 200k on my old E46. I swore to never hold unto a car that long ever again. I have no desire to spend what amounts to every other month at the Indy on my weekend fixing something on my car.

The peace of mind of having a new car is priceless to me. I hate having to deal with mechanical issues that I can't address myself. Most cars are just not worth the headache of holding unto after 5 years unless we are talking about Toyota/Lexus. The dilemma there is that most of what Toyota/Lexus makes are super boring cars which I wouldn't want to own and drive that long anyway. I grew to hate my Lexus 3IS; now something like the GSF/RCF I could probably hang unto for the long-term.
      03-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #25
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

I currently own a 04 X5, 11 335I convertible, 14 X5 and a 09 7 series. I am selling my 7 series next month because I am afraid of starting to dump money in it. It has been a relatively good car but I have to put a main seal in for 1900 bucks. The 04 X5 has been a great truck and I am going to run the wheels off of it. I am starting to put money in it now but I wont find a get around vehicle for snow and trash takeoff that I know something about which justifies me keeping it. The convertible sits in the garage more than driven but when the wife had to spend 1100 bucks for valve cover gaskets and coil packs, it being driven more often.
I dont know if you would call me an enthusiast but I have owned 13 BMW'S and although I have tried to switch brands, I keep buying Bmw.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 05:17 AM   #26
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
Generally, Toyota doesn't innovate. You can take a look at their product line for evidence of this. For example, the GS 350 AWD has had the same drivetrain since 2006. That's 15 years. The Toyota Sequoia and Tundra has been unchanged since 2007. That's 14 years. Can you imagine BMW continuing to sell the E90 to this day? I'm sure the E90 would be very reliable, but would it be desirable and relevant? I think Toyota has become so risk-adverse that they can never really be a technology leader ever again.
I think they figured out that if you just want to make a "luxury appliance" no one cares about being the leader. Like people still buy the IS / NX that are on ancient platforms with old infotainment / engines. At least the people they sell to.

And if you want to have a car for people who want the latest.... well I guess you pay bmw / subaru etc to build it for you and stick your badge on it.

Technically I own a 16 year old bmw as well. My mom transferred me the title to an 04 X3 xdrive30i which I used to get loyalty on my m340i.

Since my mom is meticulus about maintaining it (she only takes it to the dealer... so she's also great at setting money on fire)... the car has 175k miles on it and runs like new.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:10 AM   #27
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Lexus are known to develop infotainment issues after some years especially the touch screen in the 2IS. So it all depends how long you plan on keeping the car. Check club Lexus forum,it's the best platform for researching Lexus long term reliability.
The infotainment in the 3IS is pure garbage... a mediocre update over the 2IS which was also garbage. I won’t go into a diatribe, but my experience so far with the G20 mechanics and electronics has far exceeded my experience with the 3IS. I think Lexus owners simply have different expectations and therefore rate their cars reliability differently.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      03-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #28
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Agree with you, I am no Lexus fanboy. I got the 3IS in 2016 after retiring my old E46. At the time it was considered a better drivers car than the early F30 cars and so I got the 200T. Big mistake, turbo lag galore, slow car yet abysmal gas mileage. I ended up hating the car.

So far my M340i is superior in every metric even with my car needing oil prematurely, I have no regrets moving back to BMW. I will say though the service at Lexus dealership was much better than what I have experienced thus far at my BMW dealership.
      03-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #29
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
For those of us who lease, reliability is really neither here nor there.
+1 This.

IMO Lexus / Toyota are for those people who don't know much about cars, do not like to spend $$$ on maintenance and like to keep their cars for a long time. Yes, there are of course exceptions.

When I am leasing a BMW, the last thing I am thinking is reliability. I have owned many 1st year production BMWs and never had any reliability issues. Most annoying one was our 2002 Mini Cooper S. It had bunch of recalls when it was new and all were fixed flawlessly during regular dealer visits. We still own that car and super happy with it.

If you read the CR reports on it, they make it sound like it is the worst MINI to own.
Tell me about it... Early adopter here 2002 R50 MINI Cooper CVT. Manny nagging issues with that car but in the long run proved to be reliable in spite of the horrific CVT transmission. Kept it until 2008 when sold it to someone out of state and replaced it with a then brand new 2008 R55 Clubman S, one of the very first deliveries in the country that year..

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #30
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Well this depends.... if your car spends half of its lease life at the dealer and you're stuck with a loaner... that's an issue.

Not saying that's typical of any particular make/model, but you're not out of the weeds just because you lease (financially sure, but the inconvenience is still there).
I lease. My cars are NEVER in the shop other than oil changes. Strike that. My second of three M3's had a problem with the rev matching on my 6 speed manual. BMW wanted to study my car so they got me a new one, upgrading it to the competition package at no charge.

Can't say a ting bad about BMW reliability or them standing behind their product.

Can't say the same about Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 09:45 PM   #31
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I lease. My cars are NEVER in the shop other than oil changes. Strike that. My second of three M3's had a problem with the rev matching on my 6 speed manual. BMW wanted to study my car so they got me a new one, upgrading it to the competition package at no charge.

Can't say a ting bad about BMW reliability or them standing behind their product.

Can't say the same about Mercedes.
You should come lurk on the G05 forums lol.... Although things are better now... several months ago people had a lot of not so nice things to say about BMW and them "standing behind their product". There were horror stories of dealers not having parts for the G05 and people having loaners for multiple months. People who clearly had lemons and BMW giving them the cold shoulder... etc. etc. Thankfully a lot of those issues seem to have been ironed out since then.

It's all anecdotal of course. I'm not saying BMW specifically is bad or any other manufacturer more so. Just saying, you're not necessarily out of the weeds just because you lease. I myself am also leasing both my G20 & G05 and have been fortunate to not have any issues with either.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00