Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB4 on G20 330i First impressions

08-19-2021, 07:35 PM   #89
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy71195 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeegunkim View Post
Quote:
Just installed the jb4 on my 2021 330i and I can definitely feel a difference the engine doesn't seem to run out of steam in the higher rpms. I'm running map 3 with 93 octane in my tank is this save to leave as my default map for daily?
You'll be fine in map 3 as a daily as long as you're running 93 octane.
I just did a few full throttle pulls in map 3 and the car had a lose of power and wouldn't shift out of 5th gear I pulled over and popped the head and my turbo was bright red i have no clue what is going on
There has got to be a coolant line issue or something going on. Plenty of cars running higher than stock boost without issue. I can't believe a piggyback would do this after a few pulls
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 08:53 PM   #90
bimmerboy71195
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: alpine white 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeegunkim View Post
Quote:
Just installed the jb4 on my 2021 330i and I can definitely feel a difference the engine doesn't seem to run out of steam in the higher rpms. I'm running map 3 with 93 octane in my tank is this save to leave as my default map for daily?
You'll be fine in map 3 as a daily as long as you're running 93 octane.
I just did a few full throttle pulls in map 3 and the car had a lose of power and wouldn't shift out of 5th gear I pulled over and popped the head and my turbo was bright red i have no clue what is going on
There has got to be a coolant line issue or something going on. Plenty of cars running higher than stock boost without issue. I can't believe a piggyback would do this after a few pulls
Just did some more runs and it losing power around 4th gear in map 3 under full load. I went down to map 2 and it was fine on the next run. Problem is I don't feel much of a difference between map 2 and stock
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 11:53 PM   #91
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I don't know if my turbo glows red because of the heat. I haven't checked it after spirited drives. Turbo becoming hot is normal. I've also seen red hot turbos in cars driven hard. But those were race cars. No idea if it's nornal in passenger cars. It's a very good idea to let your turbo cool down before shutting the car off. What I do is. Last few miles before I get home, I drive like it's in eco pro mode, keeping the car out of boost. I also let the car idle for a minute or so before turning it off (I spend the time taking things out of the trunk or checking the mailbox while the engine is idling).

Running map 3 on 93 isn't a good idea without logs. Reason being quality of fuel. Just because the pump says 93 doesn't mean the fuel quality is the same at all pumps. Plus, to run map 3, it is ideal to put in some E85 as well for an increased octane rating. It's probably safe to run 93 on map 2 (I've done many many many logs on all maps and found that timing and stuff is great with map 2 and 93 and it wasn't perfect with map 3 and 93 alone). If you want to run map 3, add around 3.5 gallons E85 and then fill up with 93 for a full tank. And log your car. Logs help a lot. In my car, with the way I mentioned above for fueling, logs are perfect.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2021, 07:27 AM   #92
bimmerboy71195
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I don't know if my turbo glows red because of the heat. I haven't checked it after spirited drives. Turbo becoming hot is normal. I've also seen red hot turbos in cars driven hard. But those were race cars. No idea if it's nornal in passenger cars. It's a very good idea to let your turbo cool down before shutting the car off. What I do is. Last few miles before I get home, I drive like it's in eco pro mode, keeping the car out of boost. I also let the car idle for a minute or so before turning it off (I spend the time taking things out of the trunk or checking the mailbox while the engine is idling).

Running map 3 on 93 isn't a good idea without logs. Reason being quality of fuel. Just because the pump says 93 doesn't mean the fuel quality is the same at all pumps. Plus, to run map 3, it is ideal to put in some E85 as well for an increased octane rating. It's probably safe to run 93 on map 2 (I've done many many many logs on all maps and found that timing and stuff is great with map 2 and 93 and it wasn't perfect with map 3 and 93 alone). If you want to run map 3, add around 3.5 gallons E85 and then fill up with 93 for a full tank. And log your car. Logs help a lot. In my car, with the way I mentioned above for fueling, logs are perfect.
I was thinking the same thing my fuel is probably the issue. I'm actually afraid I'm gonna hurt the car now I don't really feel much difference in map 2 idk if it's worth keeping the jb4 I'm a little heart broken
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:23 PM   #93
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing my fuel is probably the issue. I'm actually afraid I'm gonna hurt the car now I don't really feel much difference in map 2 idk if it's worth keeping the jb4 I'm a little heart broken
E85 is your answer. Get like an E22-25 blend and you should be good enough to run map 3 or even a custom map 6 with more boost than map 3.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 01:45 PM   #94
bimmerboy71195
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
E85 is your answer. Get like an E22-25 blend and you should be good enough to run map 3 or even a custom map 6 with more boost than map 3.
I removed the jb4 and I'm gonna send it back E85 is a pain in the ass and the tune for 93 pump gas isn't that noticeable. Would rather my money back and peace of mind knowing my turbo won't fry up early
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 05:04 PM   #95
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I removed the jb4 and I'm gonna send it back E85 is a pain in the ass and the tune for 93 pump gas isn't that noticeable. Would rather my money back and peace of mind knowing my turbo won't fry up early
Haha that works too. In my car, there was a difference with map 3, especially when I used dragy. The difference isn't that obvious with map 2 but it's still there. Again. All dragy verified. I've run all maps (map 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6) multiple times and done many dragy runs. There are noticeable improvements with each map.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0