Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Yet another JB+ 330i Review

01-28-2021, 09:21 PM   #1
SeattleStefan
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i X-Drive

Yet another JB+ 330i Review

Hey guys.

I know this topic has been brought up a thousand times already, but another positive review might just be what someone needs to see before deciding on a product. I leased my 330i Xdrive MSport back in July and was doing a ton of research on a tune. I'm used to benchmods from when I had VW/Audi Products (APR) so my first thought was a bootmod custom tune with some added pops and bangs for good measure. After more reading and studying, I decided a super simple piggyback was the way to go and thus landed on the JB+.

It's been on my car for about 2 weeks now, and I have to say that it makes quite a noticeable difference. The midrange torque comes on a lot smoother and has a fair amount more punch than the car does stock, which makes driving that much easier. Upon receiving the box, I immediately opened it up and cranked up the boost to max to really get the most out of it and I'm super happy I did. I haven't done a full on 0-60 test on it, but my butt dyno is telling me that there is a fairly significant difference.

Overall, there seem to be a few options out there right now for piggyback tuners for the G20 and all seem to have roughly the same power gains, but the JB+ is 1 cable and a roughly 5 minute install which makes it super easy to take on and off with noticeable performance gains for a super reasonable price. Go for it.
Appreciate 6
ruczko97.00
vTuga92.00
VipinLJ1941.50
      01-29-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Cool man. At the moment, I'm torn on what to order for my car. Lease as well and I would like something low hassle and safe. I was thinking about the TurboTransformer piggyback. The price point is unbeatable and the gains are solid.
https://www.turbotransformer.com/#
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
Alex2020g20
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Cool man. At the moment, I'm torn on what to order for my car. Lease as well and I would like something low hassle and safe. I was thinking about the TurboTransformer piggyback. The price point is unbeatable and the gains are solid.
https://www.turbotransformer.com/#
Same here, the Turbo Transformer route looks like the best!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
SeattleStefan
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i X-Drive

I've seen some positive things about the turbo transformer on here, but I have 0 experience with it personally. For me, I wanted something from a well known brand that's known for things like this as well as reliability, which is why I chose the JB. Dinan was a very close second on theirs, but it offered slightly less power and a mildly more complicated (2 wires vs 1) install, so I went with this.
Appreciate 1
ruczko97.00
      02-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleStefan View Post
I've seen some positive things about the turbo transformer on here, but I have 0 experience with it personally. For me, I wanted something from a well known brand that's known for things like this as well as reliability, which is why I chose the JB. Dinan was a very close second on theirs, but it offered slightly less power and a mildly more complicated (2 wires vs 1) install, so I went with this.
Congrats on the JB+, you can't go wrong with this tuner.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

When I got mine for a b48 F30 I actually lowered the boost setting to about 2oclock after trying it at 3oclock and it actually felt smoother and quicker. I just installed it on my G20 and left it at 2oclock and so far it seems pretty smooth, think I'll raise it to 3 to compare after another week or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYAMSHAYIN View Post
When I got mine for a b48 F30 I actually lowered the boost setting to about 2oclock after trying it at 3oclock and it actually felt smoother and quicker. I just installed it on my G20 and left it at 2oclock and so far it seems pretty smooth, think I'll raise it to 3 to compare after another week or so.
I've heard that piggybacks can be laggy and have less than ideal throttle response at partial throttle? Can you confirm? Thinking of getting the Dinan Sport to fill the gap until a flash is released but need further opinions
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #8
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
I've heard that piggybacks can be laggy and have less than ideal throttle response at partial throttle? Can you confirm? Thinking of getting the Dinan Sport to fill the gap until a flash is released but need further opinions
Ill say I noticed a bit of lag on my f30 when the boost setting was turned up higher, that's what led me to lower it. After the switch to a lower setting the lag was minimal to me, not far off from stock because even without a piggyback there's slight delay with these turbos.

The piggyback just causes you to feel it kick more since your tricking your ECUto add boost. So far 2 oclock on my g20 feels really good, but ill give it a few more days.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #9
ruczko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 330xi

Quote:
Hey guys.

I know this topic has been brought up a thousand times already, but another positive review might just be what someone needs to see before deciding on a product. I leased my 330i Xdrive MSport back in July and was doing a ton of research on a tune. I'm used to benchmods from when I had VW/Audi Products (APR) so my first thought was a bootmod custom tune with some added pops and bangs for good measure. After more reading and studying, I decided a super simple piggyback was the way to go and thus landed on the JB+.

It's been on my car for about 2 weeks now, and I have to say that it makes quite a noticeable difference. The midrange torque comes on a lot smoother and has a fair amount more punch than the car does stock, which makes driving that much easier. Upon receiving the box, I immediately opened it up and cranked up the boost to max to really get the most out of it and I'm super happy I did. I haven't done a full on 0-60 test on it, but my butt dyno is telling me that there is a fairly significant difference.

Overall, there seem to be a few options out there right now for piggyback tuners for the G20 and all seem to have roughly the same power gains, but the JB+ is 1 cable and a roughly 5 minute install which makes it super easy to take on and off with noticeable performance gains for a super reasonable price. Go for it.
what setting are you running on these days? Have you done any draggy/dyno to see the power output?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 10:47 PM   #10
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i-X

Just ordered my JB+. I had BM3 installed and running on my 2020 330i but my communications controller blitzed out and nothing in the car communication wise would work(gps,map, speed limit display, sos call malfunction, any apps etc….so I had to bring the vehicle to the dealership and they had to update the vehicle DME to the latest software to fix the issue. Everything got fixed but unfortunately I got locked out of using BM3 and the only way is to send my ecu for a bench unlock which PTF Offered to do fo free. But honestly I need my car everyday and if another warranty issue happens and they have to update the car again I'd just get locked out once again. As much as I loved my ECU tune and the customer service at from PTF was the best in the biz I ended up having to sell my license and decided on the jb+ for now. If I'm happy with it I'll most likely send it back to Burger for the 200$ credit and run a full JB4 with catless Downpipe. I loved my BOOTMOD3, but unfortunately with the battle that BMW is putting up on trying to lock up these vehicles a piggy back is the way for me for now I guess.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      07-10-2021, 08:16 AM   #11
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Congrats on the JB+, you can't go wrong with this tuner.
Does this not void your car warranty if something goes wrong, even if not connected
Ive thought about racechip but havent as worried about warranty issues
      07-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboysafc View Post
Does this not void your car warranty if something goes wrong, even if not connected
warranty is only affected if you the tuner damage other car components. Highly unlikely to happen with how conservative these tunes are. its proven safe by tens of thousands of users.

Appreciate 2
      07-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #13
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
warranty is only affected if you the tuner damage other car components. Highly unlikely to happen with how conservative these tunes are. its proven safe by tens of thousands of users.
Thanks
Ive heard a lot of dealerships "blaming" piggy backs even if removed before going in
Id love to add some bhp as easily but im concerned if anything went wrong
      07-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks
Ive heard a lot of dealerships "blaming" piggy backs even if removed before going in
Out of tens of thousands of tuned cars i cant remember the last time a simple boost controller damaged an engine and even then i cant remember a dealership catching it after its been removed.

Anything can happen but the odds of a simple boost controller damaging an engine and then getting caught is very close to 0%

Modifying cars is not for everyone, if you are worried of these odds, then i recommend enjoying your car stock. You can always modify it later once you are more comfortable

Appreciate 1
      07-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #15
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
Out of tens of thousands of tuned cars i cant remember the last time a simple boost controller damaged an engine and even then i cant remember a dealership catching it after its been removed.

Anything can happen but the odds of a simple boost controller damaging an engine and then getting caught is very close to 0%

Modifying cars is not for everyone, if you are worried of these odds, then i recommend enjoying your car stock. You can always modify it later once you are more comfortable
Sound advice
I want to do it, just dont wanna take the plunge!!
Ill think somemore
Cheers
      07-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #16
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I had every turbo car I've owned tuned by reputable companies and have never once had a hard time with warranty claims. And I'm always open about the tunes. Had a Cobb tune on my Mazdaspeed3 and the injectors went at 20,000kms…..3000$ warranty claim with no issue. Like mike said, these tunes are done by companies with many years of experience and are use by tons of people. They are made to be safe and conservative in regards to what the engine can handle.

And once I left my Cobb accessport plugged in my WRX and the dealership said you forgot something plugged in, but we know Cobb and it's a solid product and we didn't write anything about it on your file.
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1941.50
      07-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #17
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Just got my JB PLUS today from Extreme Powerhouse and always great to deal with for the incredibly fast shipping. I cranked her to max right away and put it on. With all honesty, coming from bootmod3 I think the jb plus pulls pretty damn near the same thing. The power delivery is different, but I have only driven it about 10 minutes. But from a dead stop to flooring it, jb plus and bootmod3….not much of a difference in my opinion.
Appreciate 4
pneumodoc231.50
VipinLJ1941.50
Mrreef3.50
      07-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #18
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwrock View Post
Just got my JB PLUS today from Extreme Powerhouse and always great to deal with for the incredibly fast shipping. I cranked her to max right away and put it on. With all honesty, coming from bootmod3 I think the jb plus pulls pretty damn near the same thing. The power delivery is different, but I have only driven it about 10 minutes. But from a dead stop to flooring it, jb plus and bootmod3….not much of a difference in my opinion.
How refined is the power delivery when you're not full throttle? That's typically where piggybacks fall short - is it bearable?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #19
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
Quote:
How refined is the power delivery when you're not full throttle? That's typically where piggybacks fall short - is it bearable?
I find it's totally fine for normal driving. What I find is when I go half throttle the boost kicks in and kind of kicks you back. The tune was more linear and seemed to pull harder up top. This is the only place where I find the piggy back falls short. It's great on the low end but kind of seems to lose steam as you get up in the gears. But overall a pretty big difference between stock and JB plus. It's definitely worth the money. The money I paid for Bootmod3 and BMW always updating things to screw my tune over….not worth it. Pro tuning freaks do give some of the best customer service I've ever had, and when they become use to these DME updates and can get passed them easily I will be switching. But for now it's just not worth the hassle.

Update!
After doing some more driving I find that having the jb+ on max setting must pull some timing in the upper gears as I find the car dies out. I've lowered the dial back to how Burger has it stock(3pm). And although less kick on the bottom end, i find it does better on the high end now. For the prices the jb plus is ok. But as soon as PTF can get a handle on the new bmw software I will be switching back ASAP.
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50
      07-25-2021, 07:30 PM   #20
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quick question to anyone who has a JB Plus on the G20 330i. Did your gas mileage go to shit with this thing? Even with easy driving I'm getting about 100km less per tank
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:53 PM   #21
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Quick question to anyone who has a JB Plus on the G20 330i. Did your gas mileage go to shit with this thing? Even with easy driving I'm getting about 100km less per tank
When you're in boost, it'll reduce since there's more boost being made. Below 2500rpms it should be the same. With E85 added to 93, gas mileage was atrocious. JB+ alone (on 93aki fuel), I noticed a reduction of a couple of MPGs.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
Punkwrock118.50
      07-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #22
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
When you're in boost, it'll reduce since there's more boost being made. Below 2500rpms it should be the same. With E85 added to 93, gas mileage was atrocious. JB+ alone (on 93aki fuel), I noticed a reduction of a couple of MPGs.
Thanks! It's pretty much all lining up now and makes sense.
Appreciate 2
pneumodoc231.50
VipinLJ1941.50