Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications [B48] Bootmod3 91/93 Octane Stage 2 AGG Map Version 2.0 Review

08-15-2021, 02:24 AM   #1
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
[B48] Bootmod3 91/93 Octane Stage 2 AGG Map Version 2.0 Review

Hi,

Recently flashed Bootmod3 91/93 Stage 2 AGG map version 2.0, got to say it's a huge improvement from version 1.0.

This revision was no joke, so much so I had to give my thoughts. If you didn't consider going Bootmod3 before, I think now is the time to do it.. This update fixed a lot of the TCU inconsistencies present in the 1.0 tune, making it much smoother than before.

Any upshift and downshift lag or jitter that was present before if you were driving in manual shift mode is now gone, I find it usually happens when you don't give enough throttle on upshift, sometimes it acts up. Shifts were a little delayed at times before, no longer an issue now. Shifts are smooth as butter. No delay, very crisp, super smooth.

I have been driving around for the past few days both on highway and in local to see if it's any different from 1.0, and it's actually hugely different. Car drives mostly stock now and is VERY SMOOTH even if you aren't giving much throttle input, but at WOT, car transforms into a complete beast. Drivability has improved a ton.

The AGG burbles are also much more aggressive this time around, and feels much smoother, back then I feel like whenever the car pops, you would feel a bit of disruption in the smoothness of the ride, makes it a little rough. Now, no matter how much you burble, the smoothness is maintained. You hear the burbles but you don't feel like the TCU is jittery as a result of burbling. I'm not sure if anyone else on Bootmod3 Stage 2 for B48 knows what I am talking about. Additionally, much more burbles are present now, before you would get like 2-3 loud ones but now you get a bunch of burbles, kind of like how they sound in an AMG C43 that is Stage 2 tuned.

Overall, biggest difference I noticed is how smooth normal D mode is, I find myself not shifting a lot more these past few days because just cruising in D the car feels quite responsive on itself. It's like the TCU is smarter, also at 1500 RPM the car feels much more drivable than it was before. I don't have to constantly hang my RPMs at 2500 anymore to feel like I have instant throttle response. On the highway I can cruise in 8th gear without feeling like I have no power. Honestly this will ultimately make the car a little bit more gas efficient than before.

91 and 93 honestly not so different anymore besides the sound/burbles is much more aggressive on 93 oct tune. Car feels like it wants to keep going, makes you want to keep the throttle down in 93 tune, which is how it has always been. 91 feels great already to be honest, and if you're filling 93/94 on 91 tune, mileage and smoothness will probably be maximized.

Flash the updated map if you're still on 1.0. Not even sure if a TCU flash from xHP is necessary at this point. I don't even feel the shifts anymore, it's just so smooth shifting at any RPM range. I personally didn't like how much it burbled in Sport/Sport+ so I applied the OEM burble setting to keep Sport with minimal burbles, and Sport+ to give it the beans.
Appreciate 3
      08-15-2021, 02:32 AM   #2
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Just wanted to add, thanks so much to the folks over at Protuningfreaks for providing the B48 guys with an updated tune. I have been on Stage 2 for almost two years now and I thought an update was never coming. This update was huge and it has made me very proud to be part of the Bootmod3 family. So glad I went this route instead of going with other tuning options. I'm a very satisfied customer to be completely honest and I have no regrets at all going with Bootmod3. I have had no powertrain issues and knock on wood I doubt I will ever experience any while tuned on Bootmod3 provided I keep up with maintenance and such.

Great job Protuningfreaks, keep up this quality. Your product does not disappoint.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Glad to hear that, thank you for the feedback

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
g20beam474.50
      08-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #4
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

Nice, thanks for the update. I know you were on JB4 before, would you say the switch was worth it and was there a noticeable difference? I'm on a custom map 6 tune with an E85 blend on the JB4 which I'm happy with so just wanted to gauge your thoughts on if switching to BM3 would be worth it.
      08-19-2021, 10:52 AM   #5
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeegunkim View Post
Nice, thanks for the update. I know you were on JB4 before, would you say the switch was worth it and was there a noticeable difference? I'm on a custom map 6 tune with an E85 blend on the JB4 which I'm happy with so just wanted to gauge your thoughts on if switching to BM3 would be worth it.
I was on JB+ before, not JB4.

I'm not sure what the experience is like on JB4, but ultimately I think if you don't care about warranty, go for flash tune. If you have any doubts about warranty, keep JB4.

And if you do go for flash tune, go with Bootmod3. You won't be disappointed, their support is great, their OTS map selection is huge. If you don't like OTS, you can get E-Tune with Bootmod3 platform.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
I was on JB+ before, not JB4.

I'm not sure what the experience is like on JB4, but ultimately I think if you don't care about warranty, go for flash tune. If you have any doubts about warranty, keep JB4.

And if you do go for flash tune, go with Bootmod3. You won't be disappointed, their support is great, their OTS map selection is huge. If you don't like OTS, you can get E-Tune with Bootmod3 platform.
Got it, thanks for the POV. Considering that I am not planning to keep the car for more than another year or two, think I will just stick with the JB4 as I'm pretty happy with the custom map 6 tune with the E85 blend.