BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Premature rear brake pad wear

08-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
Tonic27
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 430d coupe

Premature rear brake pad wear

Hi guys anyone else had premature rear brake pad wear ?
I've done 14,000 miles and they are at 3mm
This cannot be correct ??
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic27 View Post
Is that actual pad thickness? Or indicated?

If actual thickness, how do you drive? DSC/TC and braking 'can' wear rear pads much faster than front brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:52 AM   #3
Tonic27
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Is that actual pad thickness? Or indicated?

If actual thickness, how do you drive? DSC/TC and braking 'can' wear rear pads much faster than front brakes.
My wife drives like miss daisy so I find it very unusual
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Ghozthunter
Eleet Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bimmer

I also have 14k miles and dropped off my car at dealer because one of my rotors was warped somehow. Everytime I would brake i had lots of vibration on the steering wheel.
They told me they resurfaced the rotors and replaced the brake pads. They didn't tell me the thickness of the pads wish I would of asked.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
SoFlo M340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Had the same issue in a '17 530. 17k miles and terrible vibration. Took it in 3x for the issue. First one they changed brake pads. 2nd time they did brake pads and rotors. 3x they swapped out rotors and brake pads. Ran fine til 34k miles when I had the issue start again. Left alone since I was jumping out for the m340. Hoping I don't run into this issue again.

'20 Portimao Blue M340i – Current
'17 Dark Graphite 530i – Retired
'14 Alpine White 328i – Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #6
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

I'm not sure if this is the case with BMW, but with many manufacturers, the adaptive cruise control system relies heavily on rear brakes to slow the car in traffic. If BMW is using a similar process, that could explain rear brake wear. Is your car equipped with adaptive cruise?
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #7
Tonic27
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf44 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the case with BMW, but with many manufacturers, the adaptive cruise control system relies heavily on rear brakes to slow the car in traffic. If BMW is using a similar process, that could explain rear brake wear. Is your car equipped with adaptive cruise?
No it doesn't have that system.

I've asked BMW dealership for an explanation
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:55 AM   #8
UsmanHussain1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Did you have any luck with BMW regarding this matter? Got a similiar problem with my G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #9
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw 330xi

last week after my service appointment my brake pads were at 3mm after 22K miles so could be premature in your case
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #10
Orenco
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Took my M340i in for the first service at 10,000 miles. The inspection record showed the rear pads were down to 4 mm (fronts were 9 mm). Asked the service advisor why the rears were worn so much and he said "we measure to the sensor, which will trigger and notify when the pads are worn to the point of needing replacement".
I wasn't completely satisfied by the response, so when I installed winter tires I took a look at the brake pads all around. All the pads were worn approximately 9 mm. However, the right rear inner pad has a sensor mounted to it and it protrudes approximately 5 mm from the metal backing plate. That explained the 4 mm measurement on the inspection report (9mm - 5mm=4mm)!
Now I'm curious why the wear sensor protrudes so far from the backing plate. It appears to me that it will trigger a signal long before the pads are worn out. I'm also curious why only one wheel has a sensor and why it is on the rear instead of the front. Anyone have any insight on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:26 PM   #11
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Softer pads do ware faster but are quieter. Maybe too simple of an explanation? Anyway, I confess I do not know what my break measurements are but my breaks work just fine. Just under 20k miles. Tracking your car can cause premature ware and glazing of the pads
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2020, 03:49 AM   #12
hayko_M340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I

I am at 10k miles and my brakes look like they're wearing down significantly and sometimes squeak. Did the dealer cover all that? Mines is a lease and the factory warranty does not cover brakes. I feel like mine are prematurely wearing out.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 06:17 AM   #13
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenco View Post
Took my M340i in for the first service at 10,000 miles. The inspection record showed the rear pads were down to 4 mm (fronts were 9 mm). Asked the service advisor why the rears were worn so much and he said "we measure to the sensor, which will trigger and notify when the pads are worn to the point of needing replacement".
I wasn't completely satisfied by the response, so when I installed winter tires I took a look at the brake pads all around. All the pads were worn approximately 9 mm. However, the right rear inner pad has a sensor mounted to it and it protrudes approximately 5 mm from the metal backing plate. That explained the 4 mm measurement on the inspection report (9mm - 5mm=4mm)!
Now I'm curious why the wear sensor protrudes so far from the backing plate. It appears to me that it will trigger a signal long before the pads are worn out. I'm also curious why only one wheel has a sensor and why it is on the rear instead of the front. Anyone have any insight on this?
Typically there are 2 brake pad wear sensors; one located on the front left brake pad, the other on the right rear. The wear sensors are designed to break or complete a circuit once the brake pad has worn enough for the sensor to contact the brake rotor
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 02:48 AM   #14
chris930
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 M340i

Went in with the same issue today, 14,000 miles with severe rear brake pad wear without adaptive cruise control. One mechanic told me its the auto hold brake function I use, the service tech at bmw told me they started using organic/recycled composites which cause less brake dust but are softer and quieter(causing more wear). Not sure what to believe but im going with aftermarket brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 03:17 AM   #15
hayko_M340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris930 View Post
Went in with the same issue today, 14,000 miles with severe rear brake pad wear without adaptive cruise control. One mechanic told me its the auto hold brake function I use, the service tech at bmw told me they started using organic/recycled composites which cause less brake dust but are softer and quieter(causing more wear). Not sure what to believe but im going with aftermarket brake pads.
Less brake dust?? What a bs explanation mine put out brake dust like crazy. They're M brakes after all. I see your location is glendale CA. I'm local, hope you didn't go to pacific bmw they'll never fix anything or will always feed you bs explanations.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #16
F30CoffeeLover
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 Black 2015

Dealer trying to Rob me Quoted $440 for rear breakpads

Quote:
Hey just wondering how much did you end up paying, the dealer is trying to rape me, quoted me $440-$480 - FYI - just the rear breakpads.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #17
chris930
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayko_M340 View Post
Quote:
Less brake dust?? What a bs explanation mine put out brake dust like crazy. They're M brakes after all. I see your location is glendale CA. I'm local, hope you didn't go to pacific bmw they'll never fix anything or will always feed you bs explanations.
Hayk I literally went with hawk brake pads
I used to be grandfathered to get brakes and rotors for free but things have changed. Usually pacific is really nice to me I have nothing to say bad about them so far they always fix all the issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:35 PM   #18
chris930
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30CoffeeLover View Post
Quote:
Hey just wondering how much did you end up paying, the dealer is trying to rape me, quoted me $440-$480 - FYI - just the rear breakpads.

Thanks in advance
So
I ended up changing the rear pads myself bought the rears for $120 but I was stupid enough to forget about the sensor that wore off I tried to play it off to my dealer as a warranty fix but they quoted be $180 for a rear sensor. All in all doing the front and rear myself with hawk brake pads totaled out to about $400
flat including sensors
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 02:03 AM   #19
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
My 320d has done just 20k km and was serviced last week. My rear brake pads have just 5mm (40pc) left. I was stunned too! The service report also says they corrected a software fault with the VIP control unit. The VIP unit is related to the braking system and DSC. I wonder where this caused DSC to be very sensitive and resulted in premature wear.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:35 AM   #20
jbarba
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: G21 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
Quote:
My 320d has done just 20k km and was serviced last week. My rear brake pads have just 5mm (40pc) left. I was stunned too! The service report also says they corrected a software fault with the VIP control unit. The VIP unit is related to the braking system and DSC. I wonder where this caused DSC to be very sensitive and resulted in premature wear.
Quote:
Quote:
could you please share this service report? Here in spain we have problems with rear pads, with people changing rotors and two sets of pads with 50.000 kmts
Depending of the dealer, they're covering or not as a wsrranty service.
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 04:33 AM   #21
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarba View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
could you please share this service report? Here in spain we have problems with rear pads, with people changing rotors and two sets of pads with 50.000 kmts
Depending of the dealer, they're covering or not as a wsrranty service.
Thanks in advance!
here it is
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #22
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Most cars now especially performance oriented ones, use more back breaks to help control break dive. Especially in today's SUVs
Appreciate 0