Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Visibility package/high beam assist

10-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #23
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I disagree with LED flexibility. Laser lights are in a different league. Above and beyond the standard offerings. I think we're not too far from BMW fully taking advantage of the laser lights and turning them into a head up display, essentially projecting MPH on to the road. The clarity. The improvement in vision. Nothing compares to the level lf safety they provide.
Appreciate 1
OM3RTA391.00
      10-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #24
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 408 1.2GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
I didn't go for Laser on my build because, as I understand it, the LED lights have more flexible beam forming abilities.
I'm afraid that's not quite right. BMW have created a lot of confusion with the G20 headlights.

Standard adaptive LED can swivel round corners etc. but they don't do Selective Beam (where parts of other drivers' cars are blanked out depending on road conditions). Nor do they do auto High Beam unless a fee is paid for post July 2020 models.

Visibility package for £1500 in the UK gives you:
Full Adaptive LED with BMW Selective Beam
High Beam Assistant
Laser module that comes on above certain speeds to add more firepower to the adaptive LED high beam.

The confusion stems from the fact that different markets get different configurations with the LEDs and the lasers, e,g. Europeans and North Americans.
Appreciate 5
      10-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #25
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
I disagree with LED flexibility. Laser lights are in a different league. Above and beyond the standard offerings. I think we're not too far from BMW fully taking advantage of the laser lights and turning them into a head up display, essentially projecting MPH on to the road. The clarity. The improvement in vision. Nothing compares to the level lf safety they provide.
As someone who has LL I agree completely.

As for projection lights with Audi leading the way on this and MB recently doing this with the S Class I think the next 7er will have it, which will be odd seeing the Bavarians trailing the other two on this tech as for the past few years it's been BMW & the Ingolstadt boys duking it out with the folk from Baden-Württemberg State being really slow to catch on.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      10-16-2020, 06:37 AM   #26
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

You've convinced me - I've just emailed the dealer to see whether I can amend the order.

It was pretty much the only option not ticked anyway!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #27
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Just my opinion here....

I have the Visibility package on mine and never actually driven at night until recently..... and...... WOW

I never realised how good these laser lights are! I’m genuinely massively impressed! The way the lights dance around, move around vehicles, you can see them adjusting accordingly to cars in front or at the side or oncoming and damn they are bright!

Having never had lights like this I wouldn’t have thought to spec them, having owned them now I would definitely want them again!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #28
Dave330d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

I have the laser lights and they are superb. Massively bright and the dancing light function is great. So glad I specified them
Appreciate 3
Soul_Glo13282.50
      10-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #29
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funboy78 View Post
Just my opinion here....

I have the Visibility package on mine and never actually driven at night until recently..... and...... WOW

I never realised how good these laser lights are! I’m genuinely massively impressed! The way the lights dance around, move around vehicles, you can see them adjusting accordingly to cars in front or at the side or oncoming and damn they are bright!

Having never had lights like this I wouldn’t have thought to spec them, having owned them now I would definitely want them again!
I was the same, only option I wasn't bothered about but the car I opted for came with them, wouldn't hesitate to option it next time or hold out for one with it. Bombing down the A50 (unlit dual carriageway)is a godsend with these and dark country lanes feel like the middle of the day.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #30
evil_scooby
m340i owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ex Scoob, Ex S4, ex 335d m340i

I was going to ask this question elsewhere but noticed this.
I have a sept 2020 340i and noticed the option in my idrive to get HBA. Had t realised it was pay for but nice knowing its a cheap option
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #31
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maughan67 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osxboy View Post
Correct but as of July 2020 you can buy HBA without having Laserlights.
I am close to spec'ing a new G20 M340i. I definitely want HBA (I have it on my F30 340i and it is brilliant). Laser lights would be nice but I would be happy with LEDs (and an extra £2k in my pocket) - except that the BMW online configurator only enables HBA with the lasers.

So.... Has anyone here bought a July 2020 (or later) G20 without lasers, and then successfully "upgraded" their LEDs to HBA via the option in Connected Drive? If so, does it all work seamlessly? No glitches or small print catches?

I assume the £160 is a one-off payment for HBA for the life of the car.

Thanks!

Matt
This response is probably a bit late, but I can confirm the £160 HBA option via the Connected app works. I just needed to perform a 5 minute software update and happy days, dancing lights 👍🏻 just like I had on the F30 (still having to press the god damn indicator stalk button every time though 👎&#127995. At least Auto wipers have a permanent status now 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #32
Colwill
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340d

Garage List
2020 G20 M340d  [0.00]
HBA upgrade works

Yep, I upgraded my M340d with HBA via connected drive for £160. It's worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #33
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colwill View Post
Yep, I upgraded my M340d with HBA via connected drive for £160. It's worked perfectly.
Is your subscription for the duration of your ownership or lifetime of the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #34
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
Interesting that it's software upgradeable, hopefully someone will figure out how it can be done via bimmercode or similar
Coding should be straightforward, though would probably need esys and launcher, rather than bimmercode.

It's the FSC (01B0) cost that would be the issue, as that would ultimately have to come from BMW. Probably cheaper and easier to pay the £160 if that's an option.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 01:25 AM   #35
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maughan67 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osxboy View Post
Correct but as of July 2020 you can buy HBA without having Laserlights.
I am close to spec'ing a new G20 M340i. I definitely want HBA (I have it on my F30 340i and it is brilliant). Laser lights would be nice but I would be happy with LEDs (and an extra £2k in my pocket) - except that the BMW online configurator only enables HBA with the lasers.

So.... Has anyone here bought a July 2020 (or later) G20 without lasers, and then successfully "upgraded" their LEDs to HBA via the option in Connected Drive? If so, does it all work seamlessly? No glitches or small print catches?

I assume the £160 is a one-off payment for HBA for the life of the car.

Thanks!

Matt
I paid the £160 for HBA and yes its a one off for the life of the car.
Overall i really like them. I dont like the fact it doesn't dip when approaching a cyclist and doesn't dip entering a village. 2 x things I always do.
I too live in a rural setting and start early and finish late so constantly driving in the dark. It's an indulgence but not having to bother having to move to adjust the headlights is lovely. I actually dont think its too much to pay, but others may differ
      12-17-2020, 02:35 AM   #36
Colwill
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340d

Garage List
2020 G20 M340d  [0.00]
Yep, it is for the life of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 03:19 AM   #37
camtyres2001
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post
Anyone know what features on the G2x can now be activated after purchase. Where can I get a definitive list, pls?
"Currently available examples of these services are the High Beam Assistant, Active Cruise Control (ACC) driver assistance system with Stop & Go function, BMW Driver Recorder, BMW IconicSounds Sport, and Adaptive M Suspension (the offer may vary in individual markets).
In the near future, additional functions will be added that can access the vehicle's existing hardware and software, such as certain comfort functions or driver assistance systems."

Source: https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/07/01/n...-heated-seats/

Admin please delete if this breaches forum rules.
Do you know if the iconic sound sport would work on a 330 i ( still waiting for mine to be delivered)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 03:55 AM   #38
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtyres2001 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post
Anyone know what features on the G2x can now be activated after purchase. Where can I get a definitive list, pls?
"Currently available examples of these services are the High Beam Assistant, Active Cruise Control (ACC) driver assistance system with Stop & Go function, BMW Driver Recorder, BMW IconicSounds Sport, and Adaptive M Suspension (the offer may vary in individual markets).
In the near future, additional functions will be added that can access the vehicle's existing hardware and software, such as certain comfort functions or driver assistance systems."

Source: https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/07/01/n...-heated-seats/

Admin please delete if this breaches forum rules.
Do you know if the iconic sound sport would work on a 330 i ( still waiting for mine to be delivered)
You'd need to check the connected drive store to see if it's an option on your car. If you're awaiting delivery BMW may have the VIN for your car so you could try search using that. However, you won't be able to connect to the car until it is delivered because any new connected drive connection must be verified in the vehicle - two factor authentication. Or ask BMW genius.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 01:24 PM   #39
jd85_m
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Coding should be straightforward, though would probably need esys and launcher, rather than bimmercode.

It's the FSC (01B0) cost that would be the issue, as that would ultimately have to come from BMW. Probably cheaper and easier to pay the £160 if that's an option.
I would love to buy it, but ConnectedDrive Store is not available in many - including my - country.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 03:08 PM   #40
Kr-m422
Private
Rep
Drives: M340

It's now £200 for the high beam assist 🤔
Appreciate 0