Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA M340i Launch control in Australia

10-12-2020, 06:12 AM   #1
TeddyM340i
Rep
Drives: M340i

M340i Launch control in Australia

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to use launch control in Aus?

I've given a try a few times (drove car around for 10 mins, sport + traction off, foot slammed on brake and hit gas till 3k rpm) and never seen launch control pop up.

Is there some restriction in Aus that we don't have this feature or am I doing it wrong?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

I've tried it once or twice on my 330i but I can't remember if it actually says launch control activated on the instrument screen... not sure about the M340 though.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Did you move the gear selector to the left after engaging Sport+ and disengaging traction control? You then have to use the paddles to change gear.
Here’s a link that might help.
      10-13-2020, 12:33 AM   #4
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

I've done it. But you need to have the car in manual, and make sure the foot on the brake is to the floor. Then accelerate to the floor as well. It works and brings up the flag, just can't remember exactly when I'm the process.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:55 AM   #5
TeddyM340i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
I've done it. But you need to have the car in manual, and make sure the foot on the brake is to the floor. Then accelerate to the floor as well. It works and brings up the flag, just can't remember exactly when I'm the process.
Thanks!

I've had the shifter on left side but haven't put that in manual... Good to know the setting isn't locked in Aus
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
DrMilan
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 30i, G20 330i, G05 40i

i wouldn't recommend doing this too much, it will put a lot of strain on the transmission.

i was told by an ex Lamborghini racing mechanic that on either Lambo or Ferrari (cant remember which one) you can only do this a certain amount of times say like 30 times before the transmission needs to be completely changed.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #7
G20NZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMilan View Post
i wouldn't recommend doing this too much, it will put a lot of strain on the transmission.

i was told by an ex Lamborghini racing mechanic that on either Lambo or Ferrari (cant remember which one) you can only do this a certain amount of times say like 30 times before the transmission needs to be completely changed.
They're probably referring to the ancient single clutch gearboxes that those cars came with. Modern autos have advanced significantly over the years and reliable now so can't see this being an issue. Especially if it came with the feature from factory.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyM340i View Post
Hi all,

I've given a try a few times (drove car around for 10 mins, sport + traction off, foot slammed on brake and hit gas till 3k rpm) and never seen launch control pop up.

Is there some restriction in Aus that we don't have this feature or am I doing it wrong?
I’ve just been out for a run and I can confirm that launch control works perfectly well in Australia.
Wow! Amazing. Especially for a passenger!
As a driver, I was concentrating so much on hanging on to the steering wheel that I didn’t fully appreciate the launch. However, my passenger got the full effect and said his knees were still wobbling when he got out of the car, and he drives a Porsche.
      10-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #9
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

I’ve just been out for a run and I can confirm that launch control works perfectly well in Australia.
Wow! Amazing. Especially for a passenger!
As a driver, I was concentrating so much on hanging on to the steering wheel that I didn’t fully appreciate the launch. However, my passenger got the full effect and said his knees were still wobbling when he got out of the car, and he drives a Porsche.
Now someone else needs to drive it so you can get the passenger experience !!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 11:21 PM   #10
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi all,

I've tried it twice on my NZ 340i, which is supposedly the same as Australian spec.
it worked fine. The Drivers Guide App had all of the information on how to use it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 11:37 PM   #11
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
Yep. I let him drive the car, but he wasn’t game to try the launch control.
Need another volunteer.......
      10-14-2020, 03:37 AM   #12
TeddyM340i
Rep

Thanks for the info guys, going to have to try it out this weekend
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 05:05 AM   #13
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Quote:
I'll happily do it

But I'm not in Adelaide...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 08:51 PM   #14
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry
In coronaLand
Can't move out beyond 5km.
Surely someone in the family
Would relish this
Opportunity!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:03 PM   #15
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry
In coronaLand
Can't move out beyond 5km.
Surely someone in the family
Would relish this
Opportunity!
One problem......I don’t trust any of my family or relatives in or out of the car!
      10-14-2020, 09:26 PM   #16
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMilan View Post
Of course it will effect the longevity of the transmission if you do it constantly.
The most important thing, don't do it constantly at the same time because the heat that the tranny produces will kill the oil and eventually the tranny.
Do it once in a while let the tranny cool down a little and it will be fine.
Back in January I had a dealer demo on a 24 hour test drive, I covered 400 km in that time. I used the launch control numerus times I wouldn't do it in my car.

I hope you guys don't buy demo high performance cars, lots of them are taken to the track as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 10:04 PM   #17
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

This was the closest answer In writing that I cld get...(prev purchase)
The warranty question was never answered in writing but over the phone, the gist was if you can't justify why launch control was used x number of times, and subjectively is out of keeping with "your ownership circumstances" and the car became unhappy then u might be in for a bit of a fight. Typical vague crap. Remind me why we buy these vehicles and not a Yaris (no offence).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #18
Wynnst0n
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330i

Quote:
This was the closest answer In writing that I cld get...(prev purchase)
The warranty question was never answered in writing but over the phone, the gist was if you can't justify why launch control was used x number of times, and subjectively is out of keeping with "your ownership circumstances" and the car became unhappy then u might be in for a bit of a fight. Typical vague crap. Remind me why we buy these vehicles and not a Yaris (no offence).
BMW were taken to task in various countries when they told their client (like Nissan) that consecutive use of LC would void the warranty, this was particularly an issue with the E60 M5, with it's sh*tbox SMG transmission.

ACCC's answer was "Do not put the feature in the car if you aren't going to warrant it".

These are TC Slushboxes, not single clutch robotised manuals. They can handle a beating. There is no clutch drop, no "N" to "D" drop, it is just holding it and managing the wheel slip with the TCS .

Naturally, any form of spirited driving will increase wear on the car, that's a given, but you shouldn't run into problems using LC every once and a while, unless there is some other component that is prematurely worn.
Appreciate 0