03-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #45
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conezz View Post
Can anyone clarify a few things please?

1. How do you remove the round plastic pins without scratching or damaging the plastic?

2. Are the clips that need to be popped out to remove the original grill part of the grill surround or separate pieces?

Thank you.
Just did this follow the video maybe takes about 10 minutes, it's a pretty easy job. Pop out the pins on top, then get access to the screw. Then push in the side tabs that hold the grill to the surround of the bumper, and it comes out. It will make a lot of cracking or popping sounds but it's pretty hard to mess it up. Super easy job, compared to the stupid lower bumper pieces, now that was a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:01 PM   #46
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible335i2008 View Post
Just did this follow the video maybe takes about 10 minutes, it's a pretty easy job. Pop out the pins on top, then get access to the screw. Then push in the side tabs that hold the grill to the surround of the bumper, and it comes out. It will make a lot of cracking or popping sounds but it's pretty hard to mess it up. Super easy job, compared to the stupid lower bumper pieces, now that was a PITA.
Thanks for this. Which video do you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:45 PM   #47
possible335i2008
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for this. Which video do you recommend?
The kies motorsports one, he walks you through all of the install, don't over think it just take your time get some trim removal tools from amazon and you're set. Good luck it looks way better
Appreciate 1
Conezz103.00
      03-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #48
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
The kies motorsports one, he walks you through all of the install, don't over think it just take your time get some trim removal tools from amazon and you're set. Good luck it looks way better
Thanks man. Which tools do you recommend from Amazon? I’ll probably also wind up using painters tape to protect the bumper as a precaution.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #49
possible335i2008
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks man. Which tools do you recommend from Amazon? I’ll probably also wind up using painters tape to protect the bumper as a precaution.
Yeah those are perfect just look up trim removal tools
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #50
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioCipriani View Post
Changed mine yesterday!
Looks great! Congratulations. Quick question. I’m looking at the pictures and the black grills give the appearance that the grills are slightly larger (obviously they are not), in person, how do they look? I’m assuming they look great, or else you wouldn’t have done it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #51
chelles
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Talking Thanks!

Ordered from GetBMWParts.com late Tuesday afternoon. Received it this morning and already got it installed. Thanks so much for these instructions, they really helped out a lot. The original grille was on there tight! Super happy with the results.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 01:26 AM   #52
G20NZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

For those interested in a bit of diy, the chrome surround separates from the slats with just a few push clips once you get the grill off so it's super easy to repaint the factory surround black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
330eJL114.00
      08-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #53
Oniongc
Rep
Drives: 2019 g20

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20NZ View Post
For those interested in a bit of diy, the chrome surround separates from the slats with just a few push clips once you get the grill off so it's super easy to repaint the factory surround black.
What paint did you end up using. Looks good!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #54
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
I did try to separate the chrome trim from the black inner part (on the stock grill) like you mentioned and, for the life of me, couldn’t get it out. When I moved to the next clip after unlocking the first one, the one I unlocked would click back into place. That drove me mad and I stopped trying after a few minutes
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #55
G20NZ
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
I did try to separate the chrome trim from the black inner part (on the stock grill) like you mentioned and, for the life of me, couldn’t get it out. When I moved to the next clip after unlocking the first one, the one I unlocked would click back into place. That drove me mad and I stopped trying after a few minutes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniongc View Post
Quote:
What paint did you end up using. Looks good!
Used a plastic primer, generic gloss black top coat and then a clear coat. All spray cans from the local hardware store.

Quote:
Quote:

Trick is to start at one end and completely undo the clips on the top and bottom while working your way across, it gets easier as you work across but the clips come apart with your fingers which is great!
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1936.50
      08-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #56
alienz
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M-Sport

Im tearing my hair out, i cannot seem to get the grille off. when i push the first tab and reach the third, the first two pops back. after twenty tries when i finally got 6 tabs , i cannot reach the two side tabs and every tab snap back in place!! how do you guys manage it so easily? the tabs are installed tightly
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #57
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienz View Post
Im tearing my hair out, i cannot seem to get the grille off. when i push the first tab and reach the third, the first two pops back. after twenty tries when i finally got 6 tabs , i cannot reach the two side tabs and every tab snap back in place!! how do you guys manage it so easily? the tabs are installed tightly
It isn't as easy as people here say it is. But if I could do it, anyone can!
I had the same issue as you initially. I realized it was because the two clips weren't completely separated from the tab, which made it lock back into place when you went for the third clip. I pulled a little harder to make sure it was completely separated. You can use a microfiber cloth or two (though it will be a very tight fit) or other trim removal tools or something plastic between the clip and the tab to make sure it doesn't go back in? And the damn thing needs a decent amount of force. I thought I would break it but it didn't. It's pretty sturdy.
The clips on the sides were the worst. What helped me was to shine a light through the gap to see where it was attached to the car at the back. And then use a trim removal tool to push the clip out from behind. You can try using your fingers if they're slim but there are a few sharp edges there. I managed to get the clip on the left (when you're standing facing the grill) out comparatively easily. I tried getting the clip on the right out first before removing the one on the left but it was very hard. But once I got the clip on the left out, all I needed to do was to move the grill around and the left clip popped out by itself.
The bottom clips come off by themselves.

Tip - Use some painters tape around the bumper where the grill is flush with the car (bottom part of the grill). I managed to nick my paint while removing the grill. And that nick is still noticeable even with the new grill in place (I notice it because I know where it is; it isn't that obvious to others. But still).
Also be careful when putting the new grill back in. I tried lining mine up perfectly but one of the clips on the side would always be out of line (even though it qas an oem grill). I got frustrated and banged the grill back into place. In the process, I broke one of the clips at the bottom in the new grill and the flimsy plastic part that connects the front fascia to the car (under the hood). The grill stays in place perfectly though and nothing happens because the plastic breaks. But it can be avoided if the grill can be lined perfectly and puahed back into place without applying too much force. Much more force was needed to get the original grill out though.

PS - I used the Keis motorsport video to help me since his gave the most details on how to remove it, including how to get to the clips.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #58
alienz
Rep

Thanks for the tips especially the painters tape. I watched the keis video a few times , while attempting to replace it, hoping to find any steps i might have Missed. Im afraid of appying too much force and breaking any parts (especially the one the grille is attwched to). And the video made it seem too easy!!

I removed the round clips in 5 min and thought this would be a breeze. 60 mins later i was still trying and had to abort the mission and get dinner for the family. Im gonna try again tomorrow and hopefully i dont break anything. I dont have a trim removal tool unfortunately

Quote:
It isn't as easy as people here say it is. But if I could do it, anyone can!
I had the same issue as you initially. I realized it was because the two clips weren't completely separated from the tab, which made it lock back into place when you went for the third clip. I pulled a little harder to make sure it was completely separated. You can use a microfiber cloth or two (though it will be a very tight fit) or other trim removal tools or something plastic between the clip and the tab to make sure it doesn't go back in? And the damn thing needs a decent amount of force. I thought I would break it but it didn't. It's pretty sturdy.
The clips on the sides were the worst. What helped me was to shine a light through the gap to see where it was attached to the car at the back. And then use a trim removal tool to push the clip out from behind. You can try using your fingers if they're slim but there are a few sharp edges there. I managed to get the clip on the left (when you're standing facing the grill) out comparatively easily. I tried getting the clip on the right out first before removing the one on the left but it was very hard. But once I got the clip on the left out, all I needed to do was to move the grill around and the left clip popped out by itself.
The bottom clips come off by themselves.

Tip - Use some painters tape around the bumper where the grill is flush with the car (bottom part of the grill). I managed to nick my paint while removing the grill. And that nick is still noticeable even with the new grill in place (I notice it because I know where it is; it isn't that obvious to others. But still).
Also be careful when putting the new grill back in. I tried lining mine up perfectly but one of the clips on the side would always be out of line (even though it qas an oem grill). I got frustrated and banged the grill back into place. In the process, I broke one of the clips at the bottom in the new grill and the flimsy plastic part that connects the front fascia to the car (under the hood). The grill stays in place perfectly though and nothing happens because the plastic breaks. But it can be avoided if the grill can be lined perfectly and puahed back into place without applying too much force. Much more force was needed to get the original grill out though.

PS - I used the Keis motorsport video to help me since his gave the most details on how to remove it, including how to get to the clips.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #59
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienz View Post
Thanks for the tips especially the painters tape. I watched the keis video a few times , while attempting to replace it, hoping to find any steps i might have Missed. Im afraid of appying too much force and breaking any parts (especially the one the grille is attwched to). And the video made it seem too easy!!

I removed the round clips in 5 min and thought this would be a breeze. 60 mins later i was still trying and had to abort the mission and get dinner for the family. Im gonna try again tomorrow and hopefully i dont break anything. I dont have a trim removal tool unfortunately
I was afraid I’d break something too. Towards the end, I got frustrated while trying to remove it and used more force. That helped pop it out. I was shocked at how much force it could withstand without the clips breaking.

And nope. It definitely wasn’t anywhere as easy as in the keis video. Especially the clips on the side. But yes. I was drenched in sweat by the time I was done, with all the tugging and the temperatures not helping me.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 02:44 AM   #60
G20NZ
Private
Rep

Yeah as mentioned above, I initially struggled with the 2 clips on either side but you really need to use a bit of force to get them to pop out.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 03:27 AM   #61
alienz
Rep

Thanks guys VipinLJ and G20NZ . I finally made it after another hour. this time round it took me 10 mins to pull it off but then ran into issues fitting it back (the bottom middle portion was the real problem), drop my grille and scratch it slightly when i pull out the new grille to realign. As what VipinLJ mentioned about painters tape, i didn't understand fully until I nicked it myself ive circled it on my pictures, for those who wish to diy the replacement.

The clips on the side were suprisingly soft to press and once you given it more force it came out. I guess if i were to summarize the steps, take a leap of faith, pull the grille out hard, and it will come out. The fear of breaking something is making it harder then it is. And i literally inspect my bumper many times after that , getting over paranoid on whethet my bumper is now misalign or if the boot covet flushes as well as it should be. Hilarious.

Now while i managed to replace this, its definitely a diy i would wish i never had to do again!

Name:  20200827_160459.jpg
Views: 2806
Size:  312.9 KB

Name:  20200827_160550.jpg
Views: 2802
Size:  174.8 KB
Appreciate 1
G20NZ34.50
      08-27-2020, 03:39 AM   #62
G20NZ
Private
Rep

Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #63
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Love the all black look. Makes me wish I got a black car! But then maintaining it would be a headache for me.
And yes. It was the middle section that was tough to get back on for me too! My nick is also in a similar place. Luckily yours is a black car making it difficult to notice. Mine is white. So its a bit more obvious. Looks like a dead bug was caught between the grill and the bumper in my car
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #64
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

So I followed toffee_g's write up from page 2. Great instructions. Mine also took maybe 20 mins and that was with applying ceramic coat to the new grill. Once I started working the top tabs loose it came off pretty easy. I'm wondering if because it was still so warm from my drive home that made it easier.
Attached Images

08-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #65
Oniongc
Rep
Drives: 2019 g20

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340_pilot View Post
So I followed toffee_g's write up from page 2. Great instructions. Mine also took maybe 20 mins and that was with applying ceramic coat to the new grill. Once I started working the top tabs loose it came off pretty easy. I'm wondering if because it was still so warm from my drive home that made it easier.
Looks good. What's the ceramic coat you used!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #66
alienz
Rep

Quote:
Love the all black look. Makes me wish I got a black car! But then maintaining it would be a headache for me.
And yes. It was the middle section that was tough to get back on for me too! My nick is also in a similar place. Luckily yours is a black car making it difficult to notice. Mine is white. So its a bit more obvious. Looks like a dead bug was caught between the grill and the bumper in my car
White was my first choice But I had to wait a few months for it and the dealer wasn't very keen on indent orders (generally the case throughout in this country and with other brands). This Black was actually the last in stock, and I got a decent deal out of it so i pulled the trigger.

Trust me just like you i know exactly where that nick is, including the scratch on my grille where i dropped it . I always know where to look!
Appreciate 0