Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What did you learn or discover about your G20 3 Series recently?

04-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #133
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
I have noticed that the wheels (791 bi colour 19 inch) are much easier to clean than my previous F30. Perhaps, its because they have more dark surfaces. The spoke gaps facilitate easier cleaning. Also, feel that they stay cleaner between washes and collect less brake dust.
Try ceramic coating them. You'll be amazed how clean they stay and how easy they are to clean.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 1
MBM3401026.00
      04-18-2020, 12:00 AM   #134
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
They're are making baby steps to Level 5 self-driving cars, bro..

Rome wasn't built in a day..
They need to get the basic stuff correct first before moving on to the more advanced self-driving. My X5 has the ability to automatically adjust the cruise control to the speed limit picked up by the camera, yet it's nowhere near reliable enough to be on production models, yet there it is. How it's legal, I do not know.
Pretty sure there wouldn't be a need for a camera to pick up the speed limit lol. The software states the speed limit on your navigation and dashboard, so it could adjust based off that.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 04:37 AM   #135
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Pretty sure there wouldn't be a need for a camera to pick up the speed limit lol. The software states the speed limit on your navigation and dashboard, so it could adjust based off that.
And where do you think the navigation and dashboard get there information on the speed limits? Do you think it just magically appears? What about temporary speed limits due to roadworks, for example?

Spped limit info is PRIMARILY based on what the camera in the windscreen picks up, with navigation data as a back-up.

So you can "lol" all you like. Maybe don't be so condescending next time, and you won't look like such an idiot. b

Last edited by mofomat; 04-18-2020 at 04:53 AM..
Appreciate 3
      04-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #136
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Quote:
And where do you think the navigation and dashboard get there information on the speed limits? Do you think it just magically appears? What about temporary speed limits due to roadworks, for example?

Spped limit info is PRIMARILY based on what the camera in the windscreen picks up, with navigation data as a back-up.

So you can "lol" all you like. Maybe don't be so condescending next time, and you won't look like such an idiot. b

Sounds like I hit a nerve eh? No one said magically. Didn't you read my reply saying the software knows it.... my assumption was that the map software has it in storage.

Also, it clearly stated it takes the information from the navigation map into account 'in the process', meaning there was some truth to what I said "lol".
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #137
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Yes it does. Many people miss the OFF button in the G20. I just realised it was there all along
The F30 didn't have an off, nor did the E60 or E90. I always found it annoying that I had to use the fan controls to turn off the climate control. The F15 and G05 X5 are the same way.

What BMW did you have that had an OFF button? I think for modern BMWs that's more of an exception.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #138
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Sounds like I hit a nerve eh?
No, you replied with a very condescending attitude.

Quote:
No one said magically. Didn't you read my reply saying the software knows it.... my assumption was that the map software has it in storage.
No, you said "the camera wouldn't be needed to pick up the speed info lol". Clearly you didn't understand that a camera is needed IN CONJUNCTION with the nav data. The camera overides the sat nav data to allow for things like temporary speed limits in roadworks, for example. It's this which results in errors in displaying the correct speed limit. I've experienced this myself in my G05 X5. The "lol" made you sound like a condescending prick.

Quote:
Also, it clearly stated it takes the information from the navigation map into account 'in the process', meaning there was some truth to what I said "lol".
The issue is you thinking the camera wouldn't be needed, NOT whether the info is derived from the navigation data. I also said the navigation data is used, but that's not the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 03:34 PM   #139
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
The F30 didn't have an off, nor did the E60 or E90. I always found it annoying that I had to use the fan controls to turn off the climate control. The F15 and G05 X5 are the same way.

What BMW did you have that had an OFF button? I think for modern BMWs that's more of an exception.
The F25 has it in the same way as the G20. The fan speed can be reduced till it turns off. I saw a lot of people complaining (not on this forum) that the G20 doesn’t have an AC off button whereas the F30 did. I’ve never owned an F30 so I don’t know what buttons it has or doesn’t have
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #140
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

The F25 has it in the same way as the G20. The fan speed can be reduced till it turns off. I saw a lot of people complaining (not on this forum) that the G20 doesn’t have an AC off button whereas the F30 did. I’ve never owned an F30 so I don’t know what buttons it has or doesn’t have
The G20 fans can be turned off with a long press of the fan button.

Don't need to keep pressing down until it goes off.

Not tried this but I wonder if you can have it go off using the shortcut buttons as well?
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      04-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #141
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
All BMWs are the same. The F30 doesn't have an off button either. I'm saying the G20 is no different than any other BMW I've ever owned. There might be one with an off button, but it'd be an exception.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #142
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Not my wife or I's car, but my wife brought home an M340 loaner earlier this month while the M2 got an oil change and warranty work done, and discovered the reduced mode on the gauges and very much prefer it to the very cluttered normal look of the gauges, overall much cleaner, and don't have to see the reverse tach (although it does briefly appear when manually shifting).

04-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #143
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Not my wife or I's car, but my wife brought home an M340 loaner earlier this month while the M2 got an oil change and warranty work done, and discovered the reduced mode on the gauges and very much prefer it to the very cluttered normal look of the gauges, overall much cleaner, and don't have to see the reverse tach (although it does briefly appear when manually shifting).

Yeah reduced mode is pretty nice, especially if you have a HUD anyway.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #144
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I use it. And if you hit the BC button on the stock it'll bring the info back to normal for a few seconds
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #145
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I use it. And if you hit the BC button on the stock it'll bring the info back to normal for a few seconds
Is this part of a software update?
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #146
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope - just go to:
Settings
-->Displays
----->Instrument Panel
-------->Check the Reduced mode box
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #147
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope - just go to:
Settings
-->Displays
----->Instrument Panel
What software version are you on as I don't have them options on mine?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #148
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope - just go to:
Settings
-->Displays
----->Instrument Panel
What software version are you on as I don't have them options on mine?

Thanks
Here ya go
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #149
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

I like and now prefer the reduced mode as well. I even leave the centre section blanked. The initial novelty of having so much info on display has worn off. I feel there is too much going on in the full display.

Also agree having HUD makes the main display less important.

The minimalist display is less distracting and more elegant IMO.

Less is certainly more!
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2020, 11:42 PM   #150
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:

The gauge cluster is a complete shit show. BMW should be embarrassed.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2020, 05:43 AM   #151
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

+1 for the reduced mode dash layout from me.

I've got software version 07/2019.30 Andy3661
      04-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #152
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Something that I have just realised... The rear view image superimposes the top of the boot lid at the bottom of the image to make it feel like to you are looking through the rear.

In fact, it even moves about as you turn the steering wheel.

I had to do a double-take to see if there was a camera up near the high level brake light, but I'm 99% sure it's superimposed from the camera at the rear (below the boot lid!).

Cool.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2829
Size:  699.3 KB
Soul_Glo13342.00
      04-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #153
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post
Something that I have just realised... The rear view image superimposes the top of the boot lid at the bottom of the image to make it feel like to you are looking through the rear.

In fact, it even moves about as you turn the steering wheel.

I had to do a double-take to see if there was a camera up near the high level brake light, but I'm 99% sure it's superimposed from the camera at the rear (below the boot lid!).

Cool.

Attachment 2288752
I think you are noticing the bumper which is visible from the bottom section of the camera's view - looks clean BTW
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1941.50
      04-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #154
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCardamon View Post
I think you are noticing the bumper which is visible from the bottom section of the camera's view - looks clean BTW
Well that's disappointing. Maybe I need to get out more
Appreciate 0