Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MHD, BM3, Mission Tunning or JB4

05-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #45
senderhomes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
Over OBD2? For all software updates? The M340 isn't specifically listed on their site yet under the B58 tune. Not arguing with ya, you just apparently have more info than I.
I just flashed stage 1 93. I have one of the early ones sold. No issues with flashing. DME not locked. Car is insane now. Sideways in 3rd. 130mph speed limiter GONE .... lol
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #46
senderhomes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmejia91 View Post
Is there a way to check software in the car to see if it has the newer (brick) softwsre
Yes. Buy a Enet cable. Download BM3 software on Chrome and hook up to your car. Then send bm3 support an email with your software and they will tell you if its locked or not. Worked for me. Flashed 2 days ago. Car is insane now.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #47
senderhomes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd.m340x View Post
Also trying to find this out. Thinking doing BM3 but dealer is out of state so I want to know before I purchase if I have to pull ECU or not.
Yes. Buy a Enet cable. Download BM3 software on Chrome and hook up to your car. Then send bm3 support an email with your software and they will tell you if its locked or not. Worked for me. Flashed 2 days ago. Car is insane now.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #48
rd.m340x
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive / 1999 Porsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by senderhomes View Post
Great to know. How much hp/tq are you aprox making with Stage 1 and 93 Oct? How are you oil temperatures holding?

Enjoy that extra power!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 11:44 PM   #49
senderhomes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Great to know. How much hp/tq are you aprox making with Stage 1 and 93 Oct? How are you oil temperatures holding?

Enjoy that extra power!
If I had to guess i would say 425-440 hrsp. It's faster than my e92 m3 but that was a heavier car. oil temp has not risen any higher than stock levels.. No issues so far except my remote start doesn't work now.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:31 PM   #50
Dmejia91
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335 xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Is there a way to check software in the car to see if it has the newer (brick) softwsre
I would like to know prior to making my decision with which tuner to go with. I would prefer not to ship out my ECU to MP but If I could do it over the ENET cable, I would rather do stage 2 with 93 + e85 blend ( e85 is available at my local gas station).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:34 PM   #51
senderhomes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would like to know prior to making my decision with which tuner to go with. I would prefer not to ship out my ECU to MP but If I could do it over the ENET cable, I would rather do stage 2 with 93 + e85 blend ( e85 is available at my local gas station).
Everything i mentioned is free. Once you find out if your software is early enough( not locked) then you can buy bm3 or not.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 09:51 PM   #52
Dmejia91
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335 xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Everything i mentioned is free. Once you find out if your software is early enough( not locked) then you can buy bm3 or not.
I was able to pull this up from the Idrive not sure if this helps to find out what software it's on. Will be in touch with the tuners to see whether or not I'll have to ship it out
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #53
senderhomes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was able to pull this up from the Idrive not sure if this helps to find out what software it's on. Will be in touch with the tuners to see whether or not I'll have to ship it out
I think that's the new software date. I'm not sure if they will be able to 100% know unless you hook up to obd port and get the software code
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #54
rd.m340x
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
It's fantastic! In typical Steve Dinan fashion. I posted here when I first got it. I need to buy a draggy and find a place to test it, for fun. I like how it feels which is what matters to me.

Dinan exhaust next, I think.
Hi Barry, I am in Florida, found a Carbahn Dealer about 2 hours drive away, is actually inside a BMW Dealer itsef.

You have your car tune a few months I think, how is been your experience, any cons? temperature? I was reading they used your car as experimental, have they done any updates to the tune since first shot?

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #55
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Hi Barry, I am in Florida, found a Carbahn Dealer about 2 hours drive away, is actually inside a BMW Dealer itsef.

You have your car tune a few months I think, how is been your experience, any cons? temperature? I was reading they used your car as experimental, have they done any updates to the tune since first shot?

Thanks for the input!
Hmm this is interesting but not surprising Carbahn = Steve Dinan - very cool.

That said if you do get in touch with the dealer I would be curious about a couple warranty questions - perhaps you could ask and let us know.
  • In that the tune is offered by the dealer - do you have to buy carbahn warranty along with the tune?
  • If you don't buy the warranty is car immediately flagged as being flashed?
  • If you do buy the warranty - when your factory warranty expires (and the flash warranty expires at the same time)...then what? Flagged?

I suppose there may be precedent with how dealers handle these things based on "warrantied" Dinan piggybacks in the past - but I don't know how that worked and I'm curious.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:52 PM   #56
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Hi rd
Absolutely zero issues. It really brings the car alive. I would HIGHLY recommend. I'm sure there are other good tunes as we've read here but for me it is the total package. Ie good tune by a reputable shop reasonably close, just in case, and a warranty. I think a BMW dealer would be great as they can't install the software then leave you hanging if there was an issue......
Actually one issue I need to take it back for is my HP/tq meters don't work. They changed the numbers up to 540 but there is some bug as they don't work. They know I'm just lazy. I never look at those but it must be fixed eventually.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #57
rd.m340x
Rep

Quote:
Hi rd
Absolutely zero issues. It really brings the car alive. I would HIGHLY recommend. I'm sure there are other good tunes as we've read here but for me it is the total package. Ie good tune by a reputable shop reasonably close, just in case, and a warranty. I think a BMW dealer would be great as they can't install the software then leave you hanging if there was an issue......
Actually one issue I need to take it back for is my HP/tq meters don't work. They changed the numbers up to 540 but there is some bug as they don't work. They know I'm just lazy. I never look at those but it must be fixed eventually.
Great to know you are enjoying it. I am about to pull the trigger on it. Just change my oil today. I was pleasantly surprise I didn't see any shavings on the filter and my oil was at Max level at 3700 miles, while I have seen some people having to refill by then 1-2 qts. I did broke it in for first 600 miles so it could have help.

I will let you know how it goes for me next week. They will be sending my ECU to CA.

Question for you, did you re-Gap your spark plugs to 0.025 like other tuners recommend?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #58
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hi rd
Great to know you are enjoying it. I am about to pull the trigger on it. Just change my oil today. I was pleasantly surprise I didn't see any shavings on the filter and my oil was at Max level at 3700 miles, while I have seen some people having to refill by then 1-2 qts. I did broke it in for first 600 miles so it could have help.

I will let you know how it goes for me next week. They will be sending my ECU to CA.

Question for you, did you re-Gap your spark plugs to 0.025 like other tuners recommend?
Did not re gap. Carbahn never mentioned it.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 09:47 PM   #59
rockblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240 xDrive

Quote:
That's the software version for iDrive7...you will need the software for the DME...both BM3 & MHD will give you that info, once you hook them up (no need for any license purchase for this)
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      10-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #60
rockblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep

HP/TQ scale enhancement for tunes?

I do have a question for those that have tuned their cars to deliver over 400 HP/TQ...our scales for both HP & TQ are capped @ 400, hence:

1) Have you ever seen those maxed out when after the tune?
2) is there a code that would allow you to increase the scales (say to 500?)

Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #61
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockblock View Post
I do have a question for those that have tuned their cars to deliver over 400 HP/TQ...our scales for both HP & TQ are capped @ 400, hence:

1) Have you ever seen those maxed out when after the tune?
2) is there a code that would allow you to increase the scales (say to 500?)

Cheers!
Keeping in mind these displays are really just for fun and far from accurate...
  • Most flash tuners will adjust these gauges as part of the flash process to show higher values
  • They can really be set to anything the tuner wants

My last Mission Performance tune (on my 340) adjusted these - not sure about my current M340 Mission Performance tune because I've never looked.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #62
rockblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Keeping in mind these displays are really just for fun and far from accurate...
  • Most flash tuners will adjust these gauges as part of the flash process to show higher values
  • They can really be set to anything the tuner wants

My last Mission Performance tune (on my 340) adjusted these - not sure about my current M340 Mission Performance tune because I've never looked.
Thx, yes, but they should keep up with some margin of error...anyway good to hear it's possible - wouldn't mind to see a snapshot on you M340 when you get a chance . Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #63
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockblock View Post
Thx, yes, but they should keep up with some margin of error...anyway good to hear it's possible - wouldn't mind to see a snapshot on you M340 when you get a chance . Cheers!
My Mission Performance tune now caps it at 480.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 11:28 PM   #64
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
My Mission Performance tune now caps it at 480.
Well now I'll have to go look at mine but considering a basic Mission Performance Stage 2 is putting down a safe 470ish wheel, 525ish crank...we might need Alex to bump up the values just for fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #65
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Mine actually shows 480hp and 560tq.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #66
rockblock
Second Lieutenant