Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB4 on G20 330i First impressions

03-18-2020, 08:04 PM   #23
Razor2010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M-Sport - M-LSD

Knock, detonation and misfire are three different things.

I don’t think knock or det would throw a CEL unless there was already significant damage done.

Google ‘pre-ignition’ and ‘engine knocking’ and tell me if that doesn’t scare the hell out of you. Imagine the negative forces being put on bearings, rods, shafts, crank and pistons.

If you are truly running double stock boost ........just wow LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #24
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor2010 View Post
Knock, detonation and misfire are three different things.

I don’t think knock or det would throw a CEL unless there was already significant damage done.

Google ‘pre-ignition’ and ‘engine knocking’ and tell me if that doesn’t scare the hell out of you. Imagine the negative forces being put on bearings, rods, shafts, crank and pistons.

If you are truly running double stock boost ........just wow LOL
I just watched a couple of videos on it. And yes. It is scary.

But again, when the engine knocks or misfires, apparently the car throws up error codes for knocking/super knocking or misfiring. I check my car for error codes daily and none except two that are apparently very common and relate to speed sensors on the axles. No other codes and stuff. Which is what makes everything so weird.
Also people say there will be other signs like engine vibration, loss of power, black smoke, metallic or ping noises, hesitation etc. None of which my car has.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 11:16 PM   #25
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post

But again, when the engine knocks or misfires, apparently the car throws up error codes for knocking/super knocking or misfiring. I check my car for error codes daily and none except two that are apparently very common and relate to speed sensors on the axles. No other codes and stuff. Which is what makes everything so weird.
Also people say there will be other signs like engine vibration, loss of power, black smoke, metallic or ping noises, hesitation etc. None of which my car has.
I'm curious to see how this holds up over time. I've been thinking about upgrading from jb+ but I'm scared since a friend of mine blew the turbo on a 530 with jb4. If it holds up I'll consider upgrading
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:42 AM   #26
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post
Quote:

I'm curious to see how this holds up over time. I've been thinking about upgrading from jb+ but I'm scared since a friend of mine blew the turbo on a 530 with jb4. If it holds up I'll consider upgrading
Damn what map was he on and is this on a forum?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #27
Razor2010
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

My best 'guess' is that you are not running 27-28 psi of boost and it isn't more than 17 - 20 psi. - still scary but perhaps the engine can handle this.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      03-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #28
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post
Damn. That is scary. Did he talk to BMS or make it public on a forum? I’d love to read what he has to say and how it happened.

Quote:
My best 'guess' is that you are not running 27-28 psi of boost and it isn't more than 17 - 20 psi. - still scary but perhaps the engine can handle this.
Yup. I’m hoping it’s around 20psi max. They asked me to update the firmware and get logs on map 3. I will be doing that in a few days hopefully. Rains and cold weather don’t mix well.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #29
Razor2010
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Damn. That is scary. Did he talk to BMS or make it public on a forum? I’d love to read what he has to say and how it happened.

Yup. I’m hoping it’s around 20psi max. They asked me to update the firmware and get logs on map 3. I will be doing that in a few days hopefully. Rains and cold weather don’t mix well.
Good luck and so curious to know the real boost
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      03-19-2020, 11:54 PM   #30
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzag20 View Post
Damn what map was he on and is this on a forum?
It was either map 2 or map 3, not sure if he's on this forum actually. I should find out
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #31
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

I sent a couple of logs to someone at BMS and they said it all looks good. Even boost. And I’ve been getting around 27-28psi boost quite often in every run with map 2. I need to update the firmware as well and see if there are any changes.

Car sounds and behaves absolutely normal/fine. No loss of power, odd sounds, black/white smoke, vibrations etc. No CELs or errors. And it definitely pulls much harder. All in all, I’m enjoying it. I’ll post more details as and when needed.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:06 AM   #32
Razor2010
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I sent a couple of logs to someone at BMS and they said it all looks good. Even boost. And I’ve been getting around 27-28psi boost quite often in every run with map 2. I need to update the firmware as well and see if there are any changes.

Car sounds and behaves absolutely normal/fine. No loss of power, odd sounds, black/white smoke, vibrations etc. No CELs or errors. And it definitely pulls much harder. All in all, I’m enjoying it. I’ll post more details as and when needed.
I would love to see a comparison of stock boost to your current set-up.

You said this is around double stock? So from 14 psi to now 28 psi?

What’s it doing in most gears, hitting peak boost around 3k rpms around 25 psi+ and sitting there until you change gear?
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      03-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #33
MichaelWave
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i

Quote:
Thank you! You’re the reason I even though of modding my 330i. Else I’d probably have kept her stock. Deep down though, I wish I could get a proper tune. But yes. For now the JB4 has more than satisfied the itch.
Regarding the exhaust note. I’m not sure if it’s a mental thing or not but it does sound a wee bit better. For the first time today, I heard my exhaust make gunshot like crackles while downshifting to high rpms and while it didn’t sound crazy like the MP gunshot burble tune for the B58, it sounded nice. Just the right amount for me.
And yes. My next mod will be a muffler or res delete. Only thing I’m worried about is drone.

I also agree with you regarding the exhaust. Exhaust note in my A4 was zero. Zilch. It was so quiet that it was depressing. That has changed with the 330i. It sounds wonderful for a 4 pot. I know people who have exhaust mods on their A4s and it sounds only as good as the stock exhaust on the 330i. The pops, crackles and burbles are all music to my ears. I love it so much that when I’m alone, I turn off the music and put it in sport plus and have some fun
Just thinking about exchanging to jb4 myself (jb+ rn) , also for res delete no drone at all I got mine cut out last weekend and a lot more pronouced crackles and upshift farts at high rpm, they'll cut out the middle portion of your pipe which has a secondary cat in it just keep it if youre on a lease.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #34
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would love to see a comparison of stock boost to your current set-up.

You said this is around double stock? So from 14 psi to now 28 psi?

What’s it doing in most gears, hitting peak boost around 3k rpms around 25 psi+ and sitting there until you change gear?
Heya

So I’ve been posting on the other forum regarding technical details about the jb4. And someone there was real kind to explain to me what I was seeing.
The high boost I mentioned was not sustained boost. It was only a spike (which I noticed when I looked at the graph rather than the gauge). The gauge records the highest boost (spike or not), which is what I mentioned in my previous post. Therefore, it wasn’t the ideal way to look at it.
The reason the spike happens was explained to me by another member and also by someone working for BMS. That put my mind at ease. I also sent them lots of logs and all logs looked perfect.
Also, my best 0-60 as per the app was 4.800s on a wet road (exact same road as all my other runs) with temps hitting 32F. It wasn’t a proper launch control run since I couldn’t drive for 6 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btjmn View Post
Just thinking about exchanging to jb4 myself (jb+ rn) , also for res delete no drone at all I got mine cut out last weekend and a lot more pronouced crackles and upshift farts at high rpm, they'll cut out the middle portion of your pipe which has a secondary cat in it just keep it if youre on a lease.
The JB4 feels better than the JBP. It feels slightly smoother but performance wise, my speedometer shows JBP at max boost to be exactly the same as JB4 on map 2.
And yes. I’ll have to wait on the res delete since all exhaust shops in the locality seem to have closed for the time being due to covid19. If you could post a video from the inside of your car, I’d be extremely grateful.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
Punkwrock118.50
      03-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #35
Razor2010
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Heya

So I’ve been posting on the other forum regarding technical details about the jb4. And someone there was real kind to explain to me what I was seeing.
The high boost I mentioned was not sustained boost. It was only a spike (which I noticed when I looked at the graph rather than the gauge). The gauge records the highest boost (spike or not), which is what I mentioned in my previous post. Therefore, it wasn’t the ideal way to look at it.
The reason the spike happens was explained to me by another member and also by someone working for BMS. That put my mind at ease. I also sent them lots of logs and all logs looked perfect.
Also, my best 0-60 as per the app was 4.800s on a wet road (exact same road as all my other runs) with temps hitting 32F. It wasn’t a proper launch control run since I couldn’t drive for 6 miles.

The JB4 feels better than the JBP. It feels slightly smoother but performance wise, my speedometer shows JBP at max boost to be exactly the same as JB4 on map 2.
And yes. I’ll have to wait on the res delete since all exhaust shops in the locality seem to have closed for the time being due to covid19. If you could post a video from the inside of your car, I’d be extremely grateful.
Good info, thanks.

Last edited by Razor2010; 03-23-2020 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #36
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

Can you post the logs in an excel or other readable format?
The logs are in .csv format. And I can’t seem to post those here. Let me see.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #37
Razor2010
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The logs are in .csv format. And I can’t seem to post those here. Let me see.
You can just save a .csv as regular excel file with ‘save as’.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:55 PM   #38
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Been a while since I updated this thread.

The car drives wonderful now. Absolutely no issues at all. I haven’t noticed any knocking, detonation, black or white smoke or anything that points to the car having any issues. I’ve sent MULTIPLE logs to a few people (a couple of them even working for BMS) and they all seem to be under the impression that the car seems to be running fine.

Some 0-60 numbers from the JB4 connect app (I know that these are not scientific or official since they’re not dragy or drag strip or box numbers. But they act as a before and after. Also, I’ve noticed that the ECU speed reading is pretty damn accurate in my car (speedometer shows 2MPH higher always). I found this out by comparing it to waze, work zone speed signs and even LIDAR guns (a friend has one) and the speeds those displayed was the same speed the ECU sent.)

All runs done on the exact same road from the same starting point, similar temperatures (50-55F), similar humidity, full tank of fuel, only one person (me). At least 4 runs were done on each map and I’m giving the best and worst times as the range.
LC indicates launch control. WOT is no launch control or brake boosting. Traction was in sport.

A. 93AKI fuel
1. Map 0 (stock map)- LC - 5.050 - 5.175s
2. Map 2 (around 4psi over stock) - LC - 4.800 - 4.800s (app showed 4.8s all the time). WOT - 5.450 - 5.675s
3. Map 3 (around 6psi over stock) - LC - 4.850 - 4.875s
4. Map 6 (4.5psi absolute) - LC - 4.900 - 4.950s

B. 2 gallons E85 and the rest 93AKI
1. Map 2 - LC - 4.650 - 4.675s. WOT - 5.250 - 5.350s.
2. Map 3 - LC - 4.675 - 4.675s. WOT - 5.300 - 5.400s

The boosts mentioned in the bracket are what BMS says they are. But I’ve noticed that in my car, on both map 2 and 3, max boost is similar at around 6psi max over stock. Which is probably why both maps feel the same. But no complaints since they’re perfect. And yes. E85 made the car feel faster and smoother (the difference wasn’t this obvious in my B9 A4). I’ll probably add 3 gallons of E85 the next time and run map 4 and see how the car responds.

All in all. I’m absolutely loving the JB4. I have no regrets buying it.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 2
baturbo47.50
hamzag20557.00
      04-29-2020, 02:41 AM   #39
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Been a while since I updated this thread.

The car drives wonderful now. Absolutely no issues at all. I haven't noticed any knocking, detonation, black or white smoke or anything that points to the car having any issues. I've sent MULTIPLE logs to a few people (a couple of them even working for BMS) and they all seem to be under the impression that the car seems to be running fine.

Some 0-60 numbers from the JB4 connect app (I know that these are not scientific or official since they're not dragy or drag strip or box numbers. But they act as a before and after. Also, I've noticed that the ECU speed reading is pretty damn accurate in my car (speedometer shows 2MPH higher always). I found this out by comparing it to waze, work zone speed signs and even LIDAR guns (a friend has one) and the speeds those displayed was the same speed the ECU sent.)

All runs done on the exact same road from the same starting point, similar temperatures (50-55F), similar humidity, full tank of fuel, only one person (me). At least 4 runs were done on each map and I'm giving the best and worst times as the range.
LC indicates launch control. WOT is no launch control or brake boosting. Traction was in sport.

A. 93AKI fuel
1. Map 0 (stock map)- LC - 5.050 - 5.175s
2. Map 2 (around 4psi over stock) - LC - 4.800 - 4.800s (app showed 4.8s all the time). WOT - 5.450 - 5.675s
3. Map 3 (around 6psi over stock) - LC - 4.850 - 4.875s
4. Map 6 (4.5psi absolute) - LC - 4.900 - 4.950s

B. 2 gallons E85 and the rest 93AKI
1. Map 2 - LC - 4.650 - 4.675s. WOT - 5.250 - 5.350s.
2. Map 3 - LC - 4.675 - 4.675s. WOT - 5.300 - 5.400s

The boosts mentioned in the bracket are what BMS says they are. But I've noticed that in my car, on both map 2 and 3, max boost is similar at around 6psi max over stock. Which is probably why both maps feel the same. But no complaints since they're perfect. And yes. E85 made the car feel faster and smoother (the difference wasn't this obvious in my B9 A4). I'll probably add 3 gallons of E85 the next time and run map 4 and see how the car responds.

All in all. I'm absolutely loving the JB4. I have no regrets buying it.
You said you were able to do launch control. Was this using the brake boosting tactic as our NA cars don't have the launch control feature? Also, kinda confused about Maps 2 and 3. Do you mean that Maps 2 and 3 both are around 6 psi boost? If so, is this according to the JB4 app or the car's sports gauges?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #40
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzag20 View Post
You said you were able to do launch control. Was this using the brake boosting tactic as our NA cars don't have the launch control feature? Also, kinda confused about Maps 2 and 3. Do you mean that Maps 2 and 3 both are around 6 psi boost? If so, is this according to the JB4 app or the car's sports gauges?
I was able to figure out launch control on our cars a while back. It’s basically brake boosting the car I believe but the words “Launch control” appear on the live cockpit. When I used to brake boost, RPMs went up to 3200. With Launch control, it goes to around 2800 IIRC.
According to BMS, Map 2 is supposed to be 4psi over stock and map 3 6psi. But in my car, both appear to be around 5.5-6 over stock. I found this out when I checked the logs for boost values. But I’m not complaining
Ando from BMS has asked me to move to map 4 which is 6.5psi over stock since I’m running a roughly E20 blend. He said I should be able to see more gains and logs for maps 2 and 3 now show that my car can be pushed easily to do more. I’m hoping he’s right and I might check it out in a few days once it stops raining here. Can’t wait to try it out.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
hamzag20557.00
      05-08-2020, 07:15 AM   #41
sddz6269
Private
China
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 325i

Hi, I just installed a JB4 on my G20 320i a few days ago and I'm now running on map2. Could you please tell me how I can make a proper log? Should I just drive normally or accelerate from 0-100km/h? Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #42
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddz6269 View Post
Hi, I just installed a JB4 on my G20 320i a few days ago and I'm now running on map2. Could you please tell me how I can make a proper log? Should I just drive normally or accelerate from 0-100km/h? Thank you very much!
For logging a run:

1. Car in third gear
2. Start logging from around 2-2.5k rpms
3. Go WOT till the redline and shift into 4th
4. Go WOT for a few seconds in 4th too if possible before slowing down and stopping logging

Extras that I do:

1. Put car in sport plus
2. Shifter in manual mode (since the car might downshift if the rpms fall too low in D/S mode)
3. Traction control off
4. Start logging just below 2000 rpms

Do this on a long, empty road (make sure there’s enough road) since you can hit some serious speeds when you log a run.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #43
sddz6269
Private
China
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 325i

Quote:
For logging a run:

1. Car in third gear
2. Start logging from around 2-2.5k rpms
3. Go WOT till the redline and shift into 4th
4. Go WOT for a few seconds in 4th too if possible before slowing down and stopping logging

Extras that I do:

1. Put car in sport plus
2. Shifter in manual mode (since the car might downshift if the rpms fall too low in D/S mode)
3. Traction control off
4. Start logging just below 2000 rpms

Do this on a long, empty road (make sure there’s enough road) since you can hit some serious speeds when you log a run.
Thank you very much! That's very helpful!
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      05-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #44
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddz6269 View Post
Thank you very much! That's very helpful!
If you have the jb4 connect app and can do some launch control runs, let me know. I’d love to look at the logs and also see what times the app gives for you
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0