Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA BMW G20 Dashcam and Battery Installation.

06-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #45
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Hi Steve, just a quick update, when I got mine installed I printed out your pdf and said please install it like you did

So interesting these are the changes they suggested.

1. If you place the Neo in the right storage binnacle , you lose the space, so they installed mine , I think where the car battery resides I think top left corner.
Not sure if there is any need to access the battery regularly as bluetooth is always on and you can access it via the app to check status
So basically set and forget, is my thinking correct ?

2. For the front dashcam they mounted it to the left of the rear view mirror , so from the drivers position you cannot see it at all.

3. For the rear dashcam they mounted it so that the lens lines up with the roof antennae so pretty much in the centre

Here are some pix

Don't mind the white square reflection of the garage light in the front cam image.

Cheers
Hi Firetitanx,

Yes, I had considered locating the Neo battery next to the Car battery under the boot floor, but I wanted easy access to the on/off switch on the Neo (just in case I need it - yes, a bit anal on my part).....hence its location in the first aid kit bin. Due to the adjustable net located there, I still have space for the crap I normally have in the car.....dog leads, treats, poo bags, a walking jacket for me, etc, etc.

I had considered putting the front camera where yours is located, but I thought it might have been a bit “in the face” for the passenger.
Tell me, do you still have easy access to the SD card?

For the rear camera, I located mine where I did as it is almost invisible both from outside of the car and through the rear vision mirror. The lens is reasonably close to Centre line (but not actually in the Centre). I noticed that the location of your rear camera is very low on the rear screen, however, I’m sure you will still get full view of the road behind.

I see you went for the Cloud option with your Blackvue. I’ll be interested if you use it much now and in the future. I figured that, with BMW Connect, I could see what was around the car if I wanted.....although I realize it would not give me an alarm that something had happened.

Anyway, enjoy the cameras. You can download some great footage after you’ve been for a spirited drive along some twisty country roads. Plus you can start your own collection of Wallies Behaving Badly on our roads!
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Steve, just a quick update, when I got mine installed I printed out your pdf and said please install it like you did

So interesting these are the changes they suggested.

1. If you place the Neo in the right storage binnacle , you lose the space, so they installed mine , I think where the car battery resides I think top left corner.
Not sure if there is any need to access the battery regularly as bluetooth is always on and you can access it via the app to check status
So basically set and forget, is my thinking correct ?

2. For the front dashcam they mounted it to the left of the rear view mirror , so from the drivers position you cannot see it at all.

3. For the rear dashcam they mounted it so that the lens lines up with the roof antennae so pretty much in the centre

Here are some pix

Don't mind the white square reflection of the garage light in the front cam image.

Cheers
Hi Firetitanx,

Yes, I had considered locating the Neo battery next to the Car battery under the boot floor, but I wanted easy access to the on/off switch on the Neo (just in case I need it - yes, a bit anal on my part).....hence its location in the first aid kit bin. Due to the adjustable net located there, I still have space for the crap I normally have in the car.....dog leads, treats, poo bags, a walking jacket for me, etc, etc.

I had considered putting the front camera where yours is located, but I thought it might have been a bit "in the face" for the passenger.
Tell me, do you still have easy access to the SD card?

For the rear camera, I located mine where I did as it is almost invisible both from outside of the car and through the rear vision mirror. The lens is reasonably close to Centre line (but not actually in the Centre). I noticed that the location of your rear camera is very low on the rear screen, however, I'm sure you will still get full view of the road behind.

I see you went for the Cloud option with your Blackvue. I'll be interested if you use it much now and in the future. I figured that, with BMW Connect, I could see what was around the car if I wanted.....although I realize it would not give me an alarm that something had happened.

Anyway, enjoy the cameras. You can download some great footage after you've been for a spirited drive along some twisty country roads. Plus you can start your own collection of Wallies Behaving Badly on our roads!
Ah thanks for the comprehensive reply Steve
Come to think about it the Neo is very flat anyway so not much loss in space
You had me worried for a moment I thought there would be some function I would need to access regularly !!
But for me I just set and forget so not going to play with it I don't think , but that boot mat is a pain to lift a simple strap would of been nice
I am keeping the Blackvue tool supplied in the boot to use this as the boot mat lifter 😄

Ah yes did not think of the passenger hahaha , my car after all is only for ME heheeh
So have not even sat in the passenger seat must check
Ah another thing SD access again have not even looked hahaha as I have the antitheft thingy on and haven't bother to see how easy it is to Unscrew , I thought it would be easy but the installer said the screws are long so might take a while , not sure if I leave antitheft off for a while until I test accessibility etc ease of removal
All these practical things you don't think of quite funny

Yes I must test but thinking do I need history or do i just let it overwrite Infinitum

Ah for the rear i see what you mean I can see it in the centre in the rear view mirror . Not a distraction but now that you mention it I suppose it could of been hidden more if it was in a different spot

You mean bmw connect the 3D view ? I can't seem to get that working aaargh

Yup no notification , but the blackvue cloud thing works very well I would recommend it
I probably would only Use it in unsafe areas as you have to switch the hotspot on all the time and then remember to switch it off every time
And also remember to charge the hotspot when it go's flat

But I suppose a bit of peace of mind

Thanks Steve really enjoying the car , it's so good !!!! Every time I get in a wide grin swallows up the car hahaha
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 05:16 AM   #46
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Can u post a photo of your grin as well firetitanx
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 05:47 AM   #47
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

: dance:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #48
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Hey experts,
How critical do you consider a battery backup for a dashcam is? I’ve had a few installers say there’s no need for my U1000.
Anyone not had a battery to start with, then decided to get it because of issues ?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #49
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i ,17 Impreza,16 Pulsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Hey experts,
How critical do you consider a battery backup for a dashcam is? I've had a few installers say there's no need for my U1000.
Anyone not had a battery to start with, then decided to get it because of issues ?
Hi Slideit - I went for the backup battery as I wanted to reserve the primary battery for the features used within BMW app like remote view and track location etc. I figured the primary battery would be used for those. Because if connected to the battery it can be on up to 12-14 hours whereas with the battery I can get up to 18-24 hours. This is good as certain times I parked at the community gated Carpark for long hours so want to ensure it's always recording...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:49 PM   #50
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlo238 View Post
Hi Slideit - I went for the backup battery as I wanted to reserve the primary battery for the features used within BMW app like remote view and track location etc. I figured the primary battery would be used for those. Because if connected to the battery it can be on up to 12-14 hours whereas with the battery I can get up to 18-24 hours. This is good as certain times I parked at the community gated Carpark for long hours so want to ensure it's always recording...
Thanks, I feel the same but when it was suggested I could save on another expense, I thought I should look into it!

BTW, I couldn't find your info, what battery did you get? Other than the Neo, one place offered something named Eco Power S7.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #51
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Hey experts,
How critical do you consider a battery backup for a dashcam is? I’ve had a few installers say there’s no need for my U1000.
It’s not critical if you set your battery drain parameters correctly.
I used to have a Power Magic Pro for my BlackVue cameras in my F30 and I set the PMP to shut off at a battery level of 12.0 V. I never had an issue with starting the car.....note; the car was often garaged for a month or two (or three!) when I was working overseas.
However, I noticed that the PMP put just enough drain on the battery whereby the ASS would not work until I had either been for a long drive or charged the battery......similar problem people have found when updating OTA software.
Therefore, I decided to fit a Cellink Neo (or BlackVue B-124) battery. This pretty much eliminates the drain on the car battery.

BTW. I’m not familiar with your U1000 camera but am assuming you want the cameras to work whilst parked.
If you use the cameras for driving only, there’s no need to get a PMP or battery, as the cameras work only when the ignition is on.
      06-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #52
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Therefore, I decided to fit a Cellink Neo (or BlackVue B-124) battery. This pretty much eliminates the drain on the car battery.

BTW. I’m not familiar with your U1000 camera but am assuming you want the cameras to work whilst parked.
If you use the cameras for driving only, there’s no need to get a PMP or battery, as the cameras work only when the ignition is on.
You are correct, I wanted something with good parking mode features. So I think a battery is important. A cut-off is great, but as you point out, it stops the camera from working, which defeats the point of getting a high-end unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 03:20 AM   #53
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You are correct, I wanted something with good parking mode features. So I think a battery is important. A cut-off is great, but as you point out, it stops the camera from working, which defeats the point of getting a high-end unit.
Hi Slideit

I got my 3d remote view to work today

Its very cool as you know, but it took up to a minute to load, so quite a long time.

What I like about having the backup battery is as Steve say's it takes the load off the main battery which with all the gadgets this car has must be under extremely heavy load !!

And its always on so if you get the hotspot and connect it to the webcam then you can receive a remote alert anytime an impact event has occurred , or just to have a quick look at your car.

So i think well worth it I think.

You have already spent over 80k on the car, whats a few hundred more
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:21 AM   #54
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi Slideit

Its very cool as you know, but it took up to a minute to load, so quite a long time.

What I like about having the backup battery is as Steve say's it takes the load off the main battery which with all the gadgets this car has must be under extremely heavy load !!

And its always on so if you get the hotspot and connect it to the webcam then you can receive a remote alert anytime an impact event has occurred , or just to have a quick look at your car.

That’s good about the 3D. I’m impressed when this stuff works.

Yeah, not getting reliable parking mode going would be false economy. In for a penny, in for a pound
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #55
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Slideit

That’s good about the 3D. I’m impressed when this stuff works.

Yeah, not getting reliable parking mode going would be false economy. In for a penny, in for a pound
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Slideit

That's good about the 3D. I'm impressed when this stuff works.

Yup the thing is you have to ask the question , in what situation would you want to view your car in 3D ..Hahahah
I can understand if you would like to check if the doors are open, windows etc but the connect app should tell you that , if it has refreshed recently!!
It makes more sense if your Dashcams detects an impact and then you get a notification on the phone then you can check what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:22 PM   #56
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yup the thing is you have to ask the question , in what situation would you want to view your car in 3D ..Hahahah
I can understand if you would like to check if the doors are open, windows etc but the connect app should tell you that , if it has refreshed recently!!
It makes more sense if your Dashcams detects an impact and then you get a notification on the phone then you can check what is going on.
I noticed that the Blackvue B-124X battery has a USB port on the back. I'm starting to wonder if this is a good way to power the hot spot? I have an old USB modem that we've used on holidays for portable WIFI needs.

Just need to find out if I can connect the B-124X to the U1000.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:54 AM   #57
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Slideit

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Slideit

So Steve I understand what you mean about the front dashcam blocking the view I just sat in the passenger seat . 😄
It actually sticks out quite bit hahaha
So you are absolutely correct , maybe your position is the most optimal
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #58
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So Steve I understand what you mean about the front dashcam blocking the view I just sat in the passenger seat . 😄
It actually sticks out quite bit hahaha
So you are absolutely correct , maybe your position is the most optimal
Yeah. Your positioning seems to be not central.
It’s difficult to centralize the dashcam with such a large binnacle on the G20 for all the bmw cameras and sensors, etc.
in my car, I positioned my camera so that it was as centralized as practical, although not perfect.
In the F30, it was much easier to centralize the camera because the binnacle was way less deep on the windscreen.
      06-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #59
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It’s difficult to centralize the dashcam with such a large binnacle on the G20 for all the bmw cameras and sensors, etc.
in my car, I positioned my camera so that it was as centralized as practical, although not perfect.
In the F30, it was much easier to centralize the camera because the binnacle was way less deep on the windscreen.
Have you considered resetting the camera on the right hand side of the binnacle? In this position the camera lens would be close to Centre.
Only thing is, you might see a couple of short wires going down to the cam. Something you would get used to very quickly, especially if they were hidden behind the rear view mirror.
      06-24-2020, 08:13 AM   #60
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have you considered resetting the camera on the right hand side of the binnacle? In this position the camera lens would be close to Centre.
Only thing is, you might see a couple of short wires going down to the cam. Something you would get used to very quickly, especially if they were hidden behind the rear view mirror.
Quote:
Quote:
It's difficult to centralize the dashcam with such a large binnacle on the G20 for all the bmw cameras and sensors, etc.
Ahh must take a look Steve still getting used to the whole dashcam thing, I am just happy I have one
Yes I will play around once I have some more time but first let me get my rear windscreen tinting off , I am going to remove the cam tomorrow for that.
But good heads up for that Cellink Neo , it's definitely worth it knowing that my main battery is not getting drained.

For the rear dashcam I don't mind it in the centre as I just adjust my mirror a bit and I cant see it
The front one I don't think I will ever be a passenger I am the designated taxi in the house , so I am not to worried
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #61
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, I feel the same but when it was suggested I could save on another expense, I thought I should look into it!

BTW, I couldn't find your info, what battery did you get? Other than the Neo, one place offered something named Eco Power S7.
Hi @slideit I have the Blackvue B124x. See image of how it was installed
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #62
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, that’s a good position for the battery. I had considered doing something very similar.
Out of interest, is it secured by permanent tape, or velcro?
      06-25-2020, 04:56 PM   #63
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks vlo238. That will helpful when I get it installed. I haven't looked to see how different my boot is (330e) than the i version.

Is yours connected to a Blackvue dashcam, you cross brands like I'm attempting (U1000)?

BTW, did you manage to get it for a price much lower than $420, which is the best I've seen so far?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #64
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, that’s a good position for the battery. I had considered doing something very similar.
Out of interest, is it secured by permanent tape, or velcro?
Hi SteveAus - it's stuck with some sticky industrial tape. He laid the battery between the gap on the top left so it want moving. I know he used the Velcro on the bottom incase I needed to move it so the top just the tape so it wouldn't move around when driving
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #65
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks vlo238. That will helpful when I get it installed. I haven't looked to see how different my boot is (330e) than the i version.

Is yours connected to a Blackvue dashcam, you cross brands like I'm attempting (U1000)?

BTW, did you manage to get it for a price much lower than $420, which is the best I've seen so far?
Hi Slideit . I'm not too sure what the individual prices were as I got it charged as a package as I got two cars done that done so it was a packed price. If your in Sydney , MC car Security is my go to. firetitanx can vouch for these guys as he went to them after I told him about it haha
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #66
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi SteveAus - it's stuck with some sticky industrial tape. He laid the battery between the gap on the top left so it want moving. I know he used the Velcro on the bottom incase I needed to move it so the top just the tape so it wouldn't move around when driving
Ok. Thanks for the clarification.
Happy dashcam-ing......if that is a word