Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Geico Mechanical Insurance?

06-16-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
Fishbuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Geico Mechanical Insurance?

Hi all, really not sure where to put this, but does anyone have experience with Geico Mechanical Insurance?

More specifically does the Mechanical Insurance increase dramatically as the car ages? I can understand if it goes up $25-$50 overall, but if it goes up a few hundred dollars as the car ages its probably not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfinder333 View Post
Hi all, really not sure where to put this, but does anyone have experience with Geico Mechanical Insurance?

More specifically does the Mechanical Insurance increase dramatically as the car ages? I can understand if it goes up $25-$50 overall, but if it goes up a few hundred dollars as the car ages its probably not worth it.
My experience is no - it continues at its' low monthly rate. And absolutely delivers on what it promises. Based on my personal experience I would highly recommend. It allowed me to keep a 335D MSport far longer than I would have - had I not had the coverage.

Couple years back I posted about my experience with it. You can search by my user name and Geico MBI as the topic and likely find it.

Also keep in mind the deductible is per visit - not per item fixed so if you have claim and drop at your local dealer (or indy) and they end up repairing 4 different things it's just a single deductible payment. And virtually nothing is excluded expect typical wear and tear items. MBI even covered a walnut blast on my diesel when the dealer would have charged 1000's

While I had my MBI it was just like having 100% BMW coverage - I simply dropped my car at the dealer, they gave me a loaner, and called me when it was done

It is also transferable to a new owner as long as they are or will be with the new car a Geico customer.

Only available to original owners with a car that has less than 15K miles (maybe that has changed)

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Well you got me to do some searching. Seems legitimate. I looked at my policy and it was only $25 for 6 months. At that rate, might as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Well you got me to do some searching. Seems legitimate. I looked at my policy and it was only $25 for 6 months. At that rate, might as well.
you really should - i don't know if things have changed but if not based on my experience from a few years back - while it seems too good to be true - MBI delivers 100% (it did for me) - and I'm not an extended warranty person
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:43 PM   #5
Fishbuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
My experience is no - it continues at its' low monthly rate. And absolutely delivers on what it promises. Based on my personal experience I would highly recommend. It allowed me to keep a 335D MSport far longer than I would have - had I not had the coverage.

Couple years back I posted about my experience with it. You can search by my user name and Geico MBI as the topic and likely find it.

Also keep in mind the deductible is per visit - not per item fixed so if you have claim and drop at your local dealer (or indy) and they end up repairing 4 different things it's just a single deductible payment. And virtually nothing is excluded expect typical wear and tear items. MBI even covered a walnut blast on my diesel when the dealer would have charged 1000's

While I had my MBI it was just like having 100% BMW coverage - I simply dropped my car at the dealer, they gave me a loaner, and called me when it was done

It is also transferable to a new owner as long as they are or will be with the new car a Geico customer.

Only available to original owners with a car that has less than 15K miles (maybe that has changed)

Hope this helps!
Chenry thanks for sharing your experience. Exactly what I was looking for. Did you see any type of increase in your MBI premiums as the car aged? Also may I ask what you were paying for your MBI per year?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #6
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
you really should - i don't know if things have changed but if not based on my experience from a few years back - while it seems too good to be true - MBI delivers 100% (it did for me) - and I'm not an extended warranty person
I'm not an extended warranty person either (especially haven previously owned a camry that was rock solid stable for 10 years) but have had my worries about this BMW I bought. Knowing this may convince me it is okay for the wife to get an X3 also..
Appreciate 0