BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics WiFi

08-20-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

WiFi

I have a question about the wifi, why does my phone autoconnect and why is it even available when you have no internet when you connect to it?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:24 AM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

No idea why but it's the same in my car too.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostNixon View Post
I have a question about the wifi, why does my phone autoconnect and why is it even available when you have no internet when you connect to it?
It's a subscription service, you get a month free then have to pay T-Mobile to use it.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

The car also has its own WiFi connection which is needed for CarPlay. Turn off WiFi on your phone and no CarPlay.

It should connect to the web using your data plan if you use your phone when in the car.

But to get the best out of it you need the ridiculously priced hotspot plan.
      08-20-2020, 04:59 PM   #5
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

In Europe it's all included and you just get no data, all is reserved for the car, not only that but it blocks your personal connection, so I don't know what's better, but in both ways it's stupid, because here for 10$ you get 30GB of data, which is more than enough to bundle with a 60k+ car.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:40 AM   #6
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
In Europe it's all included and you just get no data, all is reserved for the car, not only that but it blocks your personal connection, so I don't know what's better, but in both ways it's stupid, because here for 10$ you get 30GB of data, which is more than enough to bundle with a 60k+ car.
I tried raising this with T-Mobile Hotspot and BMW UK but it didn’t register on their ‘give-a-sh!t-ometer’.

I have found the 1 month trial can be repeated once it ends. I’m now on my 3rd 1 month trial but you’re limited to 1GB p/m unless you pay £9.50 for each additional GB.

I basically requested they bring a new plan (as they have in Germany) which is c.£15 but with enough data to last the month (5 or 10GB would probably do me).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
It uses WiFi for other data transmission, such as CarPlay.
      08-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
lemos
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: g21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife View Post
It uses WiFi for other data transmission, such as CarPlay.
and Android Auto
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I have the WiFi hotspot in my car (w/ data service), but if you go into Mobile Device settings you can turn off the "WiFi" or "Internet Access" (can't remember the wording). This is a separate setting from CarPlay or AA. I assume turning that off should help you out.

You can also disable the WiFi Hotspot entirely which won't impact AA or CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #10
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ty, I'll look fir that and disable it. I hate having to disable the wifi on my phone every time I go for a drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #11
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ty, I'll look fir that and disable it. I hate having to disable the wifi on my phone every time I go for a drive.
What device are you using? Your device should be smart enough to know that the access point isn't providing internet access and remain on the network for access to other devices on that network (again for things like CarPlay or Android Auto) but use your cellular connection for internet access.
      08-22-2020, 01:29 AM   #12
lemos
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife View Post
What device are you using? Your device should be smart enough to know that the access point isn't providing internet access and remain on the network for access to other devices on that network (again for things like CarPlay or Android Auto) but use your cellular connection for internet access.
exactly this. My Samsung S20 shows that the Wi-Fi is a dead end, so it continues to use 4G.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 02:38 AM   #13
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemos View Post
exactly this. My Samsung S20 shows that the Wi-Fi is a dead end, so it continues to use 4G.
If you don’t have a hotspot data plan, you need to disable the “Internet Use” option under Mobile Devices - Settings. Leave Apple CarPlay enabled and then it will still connect via WiFi for that, but use the phones data plan.

I think the phone isn’t smart enough to detect no internet access because it’s being filtered when you don’t have an active plan e.g. I think you can access the hotspot website to signup.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:33 AM   #14
lemos
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
If you don’t have a hotspot data plan, you need to disable the “Internet Use” option under Mobile Devices - Settings. Leave Apple CarPlay enabled and then it will still connect via WiFi for that, but use the phones data plan.

I think the phone isn’t smart enough to detect no internet access because it’s being filtered when you don’t have an active plan e.g. I think you can access the hotspot website to signup.
I think you're talking about Apple. With Android, it definitely does it automatically (it detects no Internet Access, and uses 4G (mobile data)), while being able to use Android Auto via Wi-Fi.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemos View Post
I think you're talking about Apple. With Android, it definitely does it automatically (it detects no Internet Access, and uses 4G (mobile data)), while being able to use Android Auto via Wi-Fi.
I believe Apple does the same, perhaps Android does a better job but I think the issue is, when Internet Use is enabled, the phone does see Internet access, it’s just most sites are blocked until you have an active data plan.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #16
Kleev
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

I don't get what I'm missing here?

Your phone has its own data right? When I get in the car, the car automatically connects to my phone, either over carplay or just using connect.

I can use spotify, make calls, send whatsapps. What more do you need?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #17
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleev View Post
I don't get what I'm missing here?

Your phone has its own data right? When I get in the car, the car automatically connects to my phone, either over carplay or just using connect.

I can use spotify, make calls, send whatsapps. What more do you need?
The issue some are having is when they don’t have a data plan, their phone is connecting to the Wi-fi but not able to use the phones data, hence why I said a few posts previously, you just need to turn off Internet Use so the Wi-fi is used for CarPlay / Connect only.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #18
Kleev
Private
Rep

Quote:
The issue some are having is when they don’t have a data plan, their phone is connecting to the Wi-fi but not able to use the phones data, hence why I said a few posts previously, you just need to turn off Internet Use so the Wi-fi is used for CarPlay / Connect only.

I see. Who doesn't have a data plan with their phone nowadays?!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #19
Edcec
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2021 330e M Sport

Quote:
I believe Apple does the same, perhaps Android does a better job but I think the issue is, when Internet Use is enabled, the phone does see Internet access, it’s just most sites are blocked until you have an active data plan.
I have Apple and yes, it does the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #20
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
The issue some are having is when they don't have a data plan, their phone is connecting to the Wi-fi but not able to use the phones data, hence why I said a few posts previously, you just need to turn off Internet Use so the Wi-fi is used for CarPlay / Connect only.

Not having/having a data plan is not the issue.

For some reason when Internet use option is on, the phone connects to the WiFi but it doesn't allow you to use the data on the phone. So for example you can't access a webpage on your phone.

I have an unlimited data plan on my phone but if my phone is connected to the car WiFi, it tries to use that to access the internet instead of using 4G so you get 'Safari can't access this page' message on the phone.

Turning off the Internet option still keeps access to CarPlay/AA but now your phone is using 4G.
      08-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #21
Kleev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post
Not having/having a data plan is not the issue.

For some reason when Internet use option is on, the phone connects to the WiFi but it doesn't allow you to use the data on the phone. So for example you can't access a webpage on your phone.

I have an unlimited data plan on my phone but if my phone is connected to the car WiFi, it tries to use that to access the internet instead of using 4G so you get 'Safari can't access this page' message on the phone.

Turning off the Internet option still keeps access to CarPlay/AA but now your phone is using 4G.

Ah ok I follow now. I will test mine out and see if I can still access the internet. Actually, I think did browse the net on my phone whilst connected via airplay so I think it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #22
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am talking about data plan for the car i.e. T-Mobile Hotspot in UK / EU
Appreciate 0