Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Idiots that don't look when they reverse

08-31-2020, 02:41 AM   #1
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Idiots that don't look when they reverse

It's a sad day today parked at the super cheap auto to get some tyre shine and a 4wd reverses into my bumper when I was in the store
Lucky I came out and then saw them looking at my car
Bumper is not deformed thank goodness
But some paint came off and a bit of a scuff mark , still you know how you polish your car and look after it so well and some idiot just reverses into it

Unbelievable
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 02:46 AM   #2
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
It's a sad day today parked at the super cheap auto to get some tyre shine and a 4wd reverses into my bumper when I was in the store
But some paint came off and a bit of a scuff mark , still you know how you polish your car and look after it so well and some idiot just reverses into it

Unbelievable
oh man

This is why I park miles away from anyone. I kept it up with my old car for 4 years until it copped a car park bump.

Thankfully your car is not Dravit. Apparently its terrible to match the colour.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 03:16 AM   #3
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
Quote:

Unbelievable
oh man

This is why I park miles away from anyone. I kept it up with my old car for 4 years until it copped a car park bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
Quote:

Unbelievable
oh man

Yes a bit shattered I know it could of been worse , but seriously don't people look when they reverse !!

https://colorndrive.com/au

Just ordered some touch up paint from these guys , let's see how I go

When I called artarmon and hornsby BMW they did not have my colour aarrgh
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:57 AM   #4
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

I had an almost exact situation happen to me except I didn't see who did it. I got the whole front bar resprayed - $500, and some of the scratches filled as it took some chunks out. Looks perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:57 AM   #5
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Ouch sorry to see that firetitanx ; I hope they offered to contribute to the repair costs !!
U got a dash cam right ? To spot the naughty runawayers
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:13 AM   #6
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Oh man, this sucks. This sort of thing is just one of the many reasons I don’t like people.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2020, 04:27 AM   #7
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the support all you have made me feel a bit better.

AustraliaG20 thanks for the tip, it's just that its a small paint chip , so maybe not worth the hassle of respraying the whole bumper.

I think I still am very lucky as the 4WD was one of those proper massive Desert Mad Max offroaders , If he had reversed further the whole side of the car would be gone... So thank goodness it was just a paint chip.

Should be ok lets see how the paint repair kit go's

He did offer his details for insurance, but I thought it was very minor so I let it go.

Funny though I did have the feeling when I got out the car something was going to happen, but then I thought I would only be 2 minutes...

2 minutes is all that it takes, so if you get that feeling all, drive far , far away !!
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 06:56 AM   #8
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Oh man, this sux especially given how much you love your car. In a few months time when it is all fixed you will completely forget about it. Maybe try one of those paint repair professionals to see what they can do about it as touch up paint can be hard to get right.

Last edited by Bris-M340i; 08-31-2020 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

Sorry about your mishap.
The only way to fix it properly, so you can't tell, the b/bar has to be removed and all of it repainted. It should be perfect match, they will blend it. Blue colour will cover the damage and as it extends away less colour sprayed then the lot clear coated.
You should claim your insurance and they will not charge you anything, the other party's insurance will pay as long as you have their details.
You have a new $80 k car you want it fixed not patched up.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
I really feel for you. We all know how much you love your car and pamper it.
Like the other posts, I agree that you should have the bumper removed and painted professionally. After the colour match and lacquer, it would then be baked in an oven. You can’t achieve the same finish with touch up paint.
Trust me, you will regret using touch up paint and it will annoy the crap out of you every single time you walk past that corner of your car.
Get your insurance company to claim from the offender’s insurance company.
      08-31-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks All, I agree , it's that bugging factor !!! Aaargh, and it probably will bug me every time I wash the car.
Played back the dashcam footage, lucky just a low speed bump.
Let me research all the options and see... I knew that new car feeling would not last ...hahha, 3 and a half months ..not bad.

Here is a link to the footage , not going to think about it now.
The BMW video recorder does not record side impact on parking if I am correct, I would get that if it did , correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2qgktnxqs...08-20.mp4?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:32 PM   #12
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Thanks All, I agree , it's that bugging factor !!! Aaargh, and it probably will bug me every time I wash the car.
Played back the dashcam footage, lucky just a low speed bump.
Let me research all the options and see... I knew that new car feeling would not last ...hahha, 3 and a half months ..not bad.

Here is a link to the footage , not going to think about it now.
The BMW video recorder does not record side impact on parking if I am correct, I would get that if it did , correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2qgktnxqs...08-20.mp4?dl=0
All terrible, but it shows your impact detection on the dash-cam works

Not certain about the Drive Recorder, though it better record all 4 cameras in an impact!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:18 PM   #13
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
All terrible, but it shows your impact detection on the dash-cam works

Not certain about the Drive Recorder, though it better record all 4 cameras in an impact!
True true , live test

Let me ask a BMW Genius about the side impact when parking, if it does have this then I will get it.

So interestingly enough the dashcam event was not marked as an "Event" which means impact, it actually just detected the motion, so that's where I may have to tweak the config settings to increase the sensitivity
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:59 PM   #14
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
True true , live test

Let me ask a BMW Genius about the side impact when parking, if it does have this then I will get it.

So interestingly enough the dashcam event was not marked as an "Event" which means impact, it actually just detected the motion, so that's where I may have to tweak the config settings to increase the sensitivity
I have Drive Recorder on my car but my understanding is that the Drive Recorder does not operate when parked with the ignition off.
I’d be very happy if I could be proved wrong on this issue, but I don’t want a practical demonstration on my own car!
      08-31-2020, 11:01 PM   #15
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Quote:
True true , live test

I have Drive Recorder on my car but my understanding is that the Drive Recorder does not operate when parked with the ignition off.
I’d be very happy if I could be proved wrong on this issue, but I don’t want a practical demonstration on my own car!
Quote:
Quote:
True true , live test

I'd be very happy if I could be proved wrong on this issue, but I don't want a practical demonstration on my own car!
Ah thanks Steve, makes sense as it would probably drain the battery.
Definitely no testing required
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 12:08 AM   #16
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
You are correct. Drive Recorder does not function while parked and the ignition off.
Appreciate 0