Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Automatic emergency braking noise

10-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
docsubaru
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Automatic emergency braking noise

When the emergency brake assist kicks in whilst reversing or going forward, it makes a dreadfully loud noise; initially, I thought that I had hit something. Is this a common finding or just my car?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsubaru View Post
When the emergency brake assist kicks in whilst reversing or going forward, it makes a dreadfully loud noise; initially, I thought that I had hit something. Is this a common finding or just my car?
That's just how it is.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
ixxo
Enlisted Member
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

It's almost the same kind of noise as when ABS kicks in. The issue with the brake assist is, at least in my case, it triggers often as false positive alert. When reversing to garage I have no idea what is the reason why it kicks in. There is no object visualised through parking sensors as orange or red. My only explanation would be it does either take in account not only PDC sensors but somehow also a view from rear camera which can see under some conditions shadow on the ground. Or it's very very sensitive on angle of the ground and even small difference between garage floor and the ramp before the garage door can trigger the assist. I had this false positive alerts in both scenarios when ramp is in negative and positive angle in comparison to garage floor.

This would make more sense to me than the rear view camera. As the sensors can understand in one scenario the upper part of the ramp as a danger object and in second scenario it could be the floor of the garage which produces signal reflection ... but in this case I would expect orange and red warning on the screen together with sound warning.

Last edited by ixxo; 10-25-2020 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
It's freaked me out twice when backing out of the garage, I got bit too close to landscape lights
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
It's freaked me out twice when backing out of the garage, I got bit too close to landscape lights
Exactly! Backing out of the garage and bam!
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      10-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp

Backing out of the garage sucks sometimes. It really random. Had it going in the garage one day as I placed a bin by the wall. Car did not like that at all. HAHA
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      10-31-2020, 04:09 AM   #7
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Definitely loud !
I reverse up and around a corner and into garage. Randomly it will stop me halfway up the slope and then I have to come back down and do it again. Then some days it doesn't react at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

Mine is quite loud but I figure it’s better than the crunch when you hit something solid and damage the bumper!
Appreciate 2
hamera441.50
      11-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #9
rcz22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 6MT

Is there a way to disable this for backing down a steep driveway? I still can't figure out how to disable by using the center button (green circle)...holding it for 3 seconds turns the green light off...great - I continue down the driveway and as soon as I get close to the street...BAM car brakes and my heart drops.

The ONLY way I've gotten the car to allow me to leave my home is to go into settings and turn off Auto PDC (rear and side) ... but then I have to remember to turn them back on.

Is there a way to just disable temporarily? What have other done? Or should I just leave the Auto PDC off?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Its a shit system. One morning it would not let me get out of my garage. Talk about a machine takeover.

I get the usefulness, but its poorly implemented, works like a prototype, not something that should be on a production unit.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 02:48 AM   #11
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcz22 View Post
Is there a way to disable this for backing down a steep driveway? I still can't figure out how to disable by using the center button (green circle)...holding it for 3 seconds turns the green light off...great - I continue down the driveway and as soon as I get close to the street...BAM car brakes and my heart drops.

The ONLY way I've gotten the car to allow me to leave my home is to go into settings and turn off Auto PDC (rear and side) ... but then I have to remember to turn them back on.

Is there a way to just disable temporarily? What have other done? Or should I just leave the Auto PDC off?

Thanks in advance!
Yes; experienced similar problems.
When you reverse, on the screen in the top right there is a checkbox to say "disable for this park" because It seems the car often detects these manoevres as a "parking procedure". That way you don't have to shut off all your intelligent safety bits.
Seems to work for me
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #12
rcz22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcz22 View Post

Thanks in advance!
Yes; experienced similar problems.
When you reverse, on the screen in the top right there is a checkbox to say "disable for this park" because It seems the car often detects these manoevres as a "parking procedure". That way you don't have to shut off all your intelligent safety bits.
Seems to work for me
Thanks I'll give this a try!
Appreciate 0