Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What is that noise? Identifying rattling noises

08-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #111
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
This doesn't look right on a 50+k car.. Just my two cents 🤓
      08-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #112
klokan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
This doesn't look right on a 50+k car.. Just my two cents 🤓
Of course it doesn't look right, it's awful "A je to" solution (who doesn't know what is "A je to", google it). But at this point I'll accept anything, just to not hear the squeaks.

When I have a car for a few weeks without squeaks / rattles, then I'll decide what to do next.
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #113
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by klokan View Post
Of course it doesn't look right, it's awful "A je to" solution (who doesn't know what is "A je to", google it). But at this point I'll accept anything, just to not hear the squeaks.

When I have a car for a few weeks without squeaks / rattles, then I'll decide what to do next.
Thank you for the pics. Could you please tell us, in the first pic in the rectangular box, is that the piece of rubber that from what I gather is actually for shipping, and others have removed? And in the second pic, the clear teflon is obvious, but what about the underside of the trunk lid? Is that placed on at the factory, or dealer? Thanks again, and glad you have it solved...for now...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #114
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
Thank you for the pics. Could you please tell us, in the first pic in the rectangular box, is that the piece of rubber that from what I gather is actually for shipping, and others have removed? And in the second pic, the clear teflon is obvious, but what about the underside of the trunk lid? Is that placed on at the factory, or dealer? Thanks again, and glad you have it solved...for now...
That is the acoustic seal based on mzdial's service record post on the previous page. Their dealer/service center removed it and mzdial said that the trunk has since been noise free. In my case the service center adjusted the lock mechanism of the trunk and I have been noise free as well. However, I heard a faint noise the other night and I am expecting the sound to come back. I used masking tape and covered that seal but that did not fix my issue. I never had squeaks, only rattle that sounded like metal on metal.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #115
klokan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
I don't think that's for shipping, every car in the dealership has it.

On second pic, there are two teflon tapes, it's just that one looks less ugly because it's placed on a flat surface. And they were both placed at the dealership, on two different occasions.

Still no squeaks, I drove a lot today. Three days without squeaks, even washed the car once in the meantime, maybe it's really solved?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #116
Asterix
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20 Msport

Very quickly I've got noise coming from the rear . Fixed with rubber gel applied on rear window lower seal and on the 2 pieces that adjust the boot lid height.
I have noise coming from the front linked to suspension , like a pumping noise after passing bumps installed to slow down cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #117
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't think that's for shipping, every car in the dealership has it.

On second pic, there are two teflon tapes, it's just that one looks less ugly because it's placed on a flat surface. And they were both placed at the dealership, on two different occasions.

Still no squeaks, I drove a lot today. Three days without squeaks, even washed the car once in the meantime, maybe it's really solved?
Thank you for that. When it is really solved, it will not be "A je to". (Google is my friend.) Hoping that BMW comes up with something more in line with reputation. Seems that it would benefit them to not have folks unhappy with their new $60k car for any reason!
Appreciate 2
klokan104.00
      08-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #118
lausc
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokgadeking View Post
That is the acoustic seal based on mzdial's service record post on the previous page. Their dealer/service center removed it and mzdial said that the trunk has since been noise free. In my case the service center adjusted the lock mechanism of the trunk and I have been noise free as well. However, I heard a faint noise the other night and I am expecting the sound to come back. I used masking tape and covered that seal but that did not fix my issue. I never had squeaks, only rattle that sounded like metal on metal.
I can confirm this is the source of the noise!!! Put some lubricant on the seal this morning and the sound is gone! Easy peasy
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #119
klokan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lausc View Post
I can confirm this is the source of the noise!!! Put some lubricant on the seal this morning and the sound is gone! Easy peasy
What kind of lubricant did you use?

Sometimes it returns, sometimes it's dead quiet.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #120
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Yes, I own an F30 but I wanted to share how I got rid of all MY squeaks and rattles in the door. I thoroughly cleaned all of my door sills today and voila! They are gone. The doors were filthy. Logic would lead me to believe that the more lubricant put on that makes the noise go away temporarily cause dirt build up and leads to more creaking. We'll see if the rattles come back.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #121
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

Taken from the G20 Owners group on Facebook... took it in twice and looks like they fixed it on the second attempt... check it out!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      08-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #122
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
Taken from the G20 Owners group on Facebook... took it in twice and looks like they fixed it on the second attempt... check it out!!
The writing is STRONG with that SA!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 03:37 AM   #123
lausc
Rep

Quote:
What kind of lubricant did you use?

Sometimes it returns, sometimes it's dead quiet.
Just some sprayed lub I found in the house. I guess WD40 will also do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #124
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

If I have a choice of WD40 or a silicone lube for any lubrication purpose, will take silicone every time. I have found WD tends to attract and keep dirt more than silicone, which gums things up much quicker.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #125
Delija
VIP
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

https://www.wd40.com/products/silicone-lubricant/

https://www.wd40.com/products/dry-lube/

08-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #126
Emmaq44
Rep
Drives: 2022 Bmw 330i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokgadeking View Post
Where exactly is the seal? Bottom of truck lid?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:53 AM   #127
Daniel_S
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320xd

I've got this problem on my car.
Russian dealer told me they have never seen something like this before.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #128
Emmaq44
Rep
Drives: 2022 Bmw 330i

Confirmed it's the trunk hitting the window making the rattling noise. Put a towel over that area, shut trunk, and car was completely silent. Removed it and it made the noise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 12:21 PM   #129
Persius
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330

Took my m340i to the shop today and the main technician did a test drive and said he immediately knew the issue with the g20. Said there is an extra seal that connects the trunk to the back window. He removed it and lubricated some other parts. Said newer versions are supposedly removing this.

So if you're having this issue just take it in if you don't feel like WD40'ing your entire car.

Paid 60k for my car i'm not spraying and doing shit..lol.. they can do it.

So far so good will come back if its still a problem.

Edit: I fully read the thread now seems like others have also reported this is it. Just in case anyone goes straight to latest post.

Last edited by Persius; 08-14-2019 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #130
trowe66
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaq44 View Post
Confirmed it's the trunk hitting the window making the rattling noise. Put a towel over that area, shut trunk, and car was completely silent. Removed it and it made the noise.
Confirmed this worked for me, too. If you have the power tailgate, you have to manually push the trunk closed. Obviously not the best practical solution, but at least it gives me peace and quiet until I can get it to the dealer. Thanks, Emmaq44.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #131
lausc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaq44 View Post
Where exactly is the seal? Bottom of truck lid?
On top of the trunk and at the bottom of the glass. I actually read on some other replied in this thread you can remove it entirely, but for my case just some lubricant did the trick.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #132
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
On top of the trunk and at the bottom of the glass. I actually read on some other replied in this thread you can remove it entirely, but for my case just some lubricant did the trick.
My car just started making this noise. Upon inspection, I could tell that this piece of trim had been greased at the factory. I cleaned off this piece of trim with a rag, and upon removal of all the existing grease, the noise is now elevated. And because this piece of trim is meant to serve a purpose, I don't want to take it to a dealership and have them remove it.

Observation 1: The sound seems to have been associated with the breaking-in of the car. I can pinpoint when the sound started. On the way home from a long road trip on Sunday, I was ALMOST home and my bladder felt like it was going to explode. So in my haste, I gave it full throttle on the road near my neighborhood, and then turning into my neighborhood, the sound suddenly appeared and was super obvious. It was completely quiet during the entire trip until that point. So I can literally pinpoint the noise to before full throttle and after full throttle. So I think throttling the car aggressively caused some body panels to settle in and apply some additional pressure on the rubber trim piece... possibly even stripping away the existing lubricant.

Observation 2: Only the very thin lip of the rubber that borders the felt and creates the seal is making contact with the trunk. Lubricating the entire lower/outer rubber area would be pointless as the exterior part of the rubber does not make contact with anything.

So given that we're dealing with a thin sliver of rubber here, greases/lubricants such as WD-40 are not viscous enough to last, so you will probably need to re-apply regularly if this is your preferred solution.

So here's my attempt at a solution: I am going to try applying the thickest rubber-to-metal grease I can think of... and that of course is brake grease. I am going to apply it to the rubber lip and also to a small portion of the felt where it borders the rubber in hopes that the pressure of the trunk against the rubber/felt together will create continuity.

The product I am going to use: https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-p...4oz/752442_0_0

This product is specifically meant for rubber to metal contact points so I will start with this and see how it goes.
Appreciate 2