Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW and Daimler Agree to Combine Mobility Services

03-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW and Daimler Agree to Combine Mobility Services

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW and Daimler Agree to Combine Mobility Services
COMMENTS

March 28, 2018

Automotive pioneers and innovation leaders to shape sustainable urban mobility of the future

· Strong alliance to create unique customer offering: seamless, multimodal, fast and readily available

· Ecosystem for on-demand mobility: single source for CarSharing, Ride-Hailing, Parking, Charging and Multimodality

· Sustainable solutions for challenges of urban mobility and better quality of life in big cities

· Joint-venture concept will ensure expansion of digital business models at both companies

Munich/Stuttgart.
The BMW Group and Daimler AG are joining forces to offer customers a single source for sustainable urban mobility services. The two companies today signed an agreement to merge their mobility services business units. Subject to examination and approval by the responsible competition authorities, the BMW Group and Daimler AG plan to combine and strategically expand their existing on-demand mobility offering in the areas of CarSharing, Ride-Hailing, Parking, Charging and Multimodality. Each company will hold a 50-percent stake in a joint-venture model comprising both companies’ mobility services. The two companies will remain competitors in their respective core businesses.

The aim of this transaction is to become a leading provider of innovative mobility services. Both automotive manufacturers aim to shape the mobility of the future to be able to offer their customers unique experiences and support their partners, such as cities and communes, in achieving sustainable urban mobility.

The partners intend to offer their customers a holistic ecosystem of intelligent, seamlessly connected mobility services, available at the tap of a finger. Together, the BMW Group and Daimler AG plan to grow this new business model sustainably and enable rapid global scaling of services. Working as partners, both companies are thereby addressing the challenges arising from urban mobility and changing customer wishes, and cooperating with cities, municipalities and other interest groups to improve quality of life in major cities. The merger will promote electromobility, for example, by offering electrified CarSharing vehicles, as well as easy access to charging and parking options. As a result, it will become even easier to experience and use sustainable mobility services.

“The BMW Group is shaping future mobility – and striking out in new directions to do so. Our Strategy NUMBER ONE > NEXT provides the BMW Group with a roadmap to a digital and emission-free future,” said Harald Krüger, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG. “Combining our mobility services as planned will create a unique digital ecosystem. This alliance will make it easier for our customers to discover the emission-free mobility of the future. We remain competitors when it comes to the best premium vehicles. The planned merger of our mobility services will pool our resources and sends a strong signal to our new competitors,” added Krüger.

“As pioneers in automotive engineering, we will not leave the task of shaping future urban mobility to others. There will be more people than ever before without a car who will still want to be extremely mobile. We want to combine our expertise and experience to develop a unique, sustainable ecosystem for urban mobility,” said Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and head of Mercedes-Benz Cars. “At Daimler, we are vigorously and systematically pursuing our transformation from automobile manufacturer to provider of mobility services with our CASE strategy. CASE stands for connectivity, automated driving, sharing & services and electric mobility.”

“The future of mobility lies in cities: The key to more liveable cities is in intelligent and seamless services that are easy to use and combine sustainable modes of transport and mobility services,” said Peter Schwarzenbauer, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for MINI, Rolls-Royce, BMW Motorrad, Customer Engagement and Digital Business Innovation BMW Group. “The pioneering work and commitment of the employees who provide our services have laid a valuable foundation. I would like to thank them very much indeed for all that they have done,” Schwarzenbauer continued.

“The sustainable mobility of tomorrow is flexible and connected – a vision we share with our partner, the BMW Group,” explained Bodo Uebber, member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG, responsible for Finance & Controlling and Daimler Financial Services. “Together, we can offer millions of customers highly-attractive products and services to make their lives easier and their environment a better place to live. The options offered by the planned joint venture-concept will complement mobility services offered by cities.”

The equally-owned joint venture model is designed to combine services in the following five areas:

1) Multimodal and on-demand mobility with moovel and ReachNow: Intelligent and seamless connectivity between different mobility offerings – including booking and payment – will create significant added value for users. It will also offer possible solutions for the challenges of urban private transport.

2) CarSharing with Car2Go and DriveNow:

Car2Go and DriveNow operate a total of 20,000 vehicles in 31 major international cities. CarSharing enables better utilisation of vehicles and thus helps reduce the total number of vehicles in cities. More than four million customers already use these CarSharing services.

3) Ride-Hailing with mytaxi, Chauffeur Privé, Clever Taxi and Beat:

With Europe’s largest taxi app, simply order a taxi or use a licensed driver in France for a ride in the French metropolises. In total, 13 million customers and some 140,000 drivers are already using the modern, practical and fast way of Ride-Hailing with mytaxi, Clever Taxi and Beat or private hire vehicle service Chauffeur Privé. Innovative offers such as mytaximatch, in which people not known to each other share a taxi at a fingertip, make an important contribution to reducing inner-city traffic by eliminating numerous individual trips in the urban space.

4) Parking with ParkNow and Parkmobile Group/Parkmobile LLC:

Ticketless, cashless on-street parking or help finding, reserving and paying for off-street parking in a garage. Innovative digital parking services reduce the time and the amount of driving involved in finding a parking space. This will reduce traffic significantly, as cars searching for parking spaces currently account for around 30% of road traffic.

5) Charging with ChargeNow and Digital Charging Solutions:

Easy access (incl. location, charging and payment) to the world’s largest network of public charging stations with more than 143,000 charging points worldwide. Combined with parking privileges in cities, this will support the expansion of electromobility, by helping people get to know this drive technology and integrate it easily into their mobility needs.

The formation of the joint venture will produce a significant valuation and earnings effect at Daimler Financial Services. If the approval of the competition authorities is received this year, following adjustments will be made to the group outlook for Daimler AG: The company expects EBIT for Daimler Financial Services to be significantly higher than the previous year; for the Group as a whole, this means EBIT is likely to be slightly higher than the previous year.

If approved by the relevant authorities in the course of this year, the formation of the joint venture will trigger a one-time valuation and earnings effect in the BMW AG’s group financial statement and thus lead to an adjustment of the company’s guidance: Under these circumstances, pre-tax earnings on Group level would increase slightly in 2018 compared with the previous year. The valuation and earnings effect would have no impact on the EBIT margin in the automotive segment.

The joint project is subject to examination and approval by the respective competition authorities. The best-possible customer experience is already the focus of both partners’ services. Therefore, initially nothing will change for the millions of customers, with existing services still being provided to the same extent and with the same level of quality.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 4
      03-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Cool Beans
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      03-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

You know what would be the best idea in the world? if everyone used a universal navi system that was based on google maps 100% of the time and was controlled similar to car play.
      03-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Interesting, very interesting.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      03-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Works fo4 me.

The best or nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
You know what would be the best idea in the world? if everyone used a universal navi system that was based on google maps 100% of the time and was controlled similar to car play.
Except I'd rather use Waze than Google Maps so thanks but no thanks.
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Quote:
Except I'd rather use Waze than Google Maps so thanks but no thanks.
u need to do some research
      03-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
alex2364
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Research on what? That Google owns Waze? Doesn't make it the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Research on what? That Google owns Waze? Doesn't make it the same.
makes it that they can create a combined platform within days
      03-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
alex2364
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Except they haven't. They've owned Waze for 5 years and haven't combined anything. Just because they can doesn't mean they will. Sounds like you're the one that needs to do research.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2018, 01:51 PM   #11
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Except they haven't. They've owned Waze for 5 years and haven't combined anything. Just because they can doesn't mean they will. Sounds like you're the one that needs to do research.
going back to my original point... no one at this point creates a universal platform... and that is the problem we currently face, if there was an agreement this would be resolved once and for all, however no wants to give up IP nor their own system and give full rights to one company... apple car play is the closest thing in existance... an industry wide problem could be resolved in days
      03-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

hmmm.. This isn't good. I anticipate a merger of sorts in the next 20 yrs

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #13
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #14
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Speaking of collaboration, Merc should lend BMW some ball, so outside of making money from everything they build, BMW would value Motorsport Prestige a little bit by building something different.

Building a true standalone high end sports car like Merc does, is a respectful way of burning money. There're some of us that's already fed up with those family sedan derived 'performance vehicle' with a badge that says M, something BMW calls 'the most powerful letter in the world'.
      03-29-2018, 07:59 AM   #15
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Speaking of collaboration, Merc should lend BMW some ball, so BMW value Motorsport Prestige a little bit outside of making money from everything they make.

Building a true standalone high end sports car is a respectful way of burning some money? There're some people that's already fed up with those mass produced family sedan derived 'performance vehicle' with a badge of M they call 'the most powerful letter in the world'.
With Merc kissing Chi-com @ss over an apparent slight in the chinese market I don't think they have balls.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #16
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
What they meant:

"This deal will allow us to collude, set prices, standardize features in our cars and raise the cost of buying a luxury German sedan under the guise of reducing urban congestion. Danke shoen suckers."
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

I've used ReachNow a few times & it's a remarkable product. Works flawless & even when I went outside the service area.

Good news in any case.
      03-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #18
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
going back to my original point... no one at this point creates a universal platform... and that is the problem we currently face, if there was an agreement this would be resolved once and for all, however no wants to give up IP nor their own system and give full rights to one company... apple car play is the closest thing in existance... an industry wide problem could be resolved in days
What is the problem with differing systems? Perhaps market competition should encourage innovation instead of relying on a single platform which would have zero incentive to get better if it captured 100% of the market share.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #19
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What is the problem with differing systems? Perhaps market competition should encourage innovation instead of relying on a single platform which would have zero incentive to get better if it captured 100% of the market share.
All of these other systems (bmw, audi and benz) are worss than google's singular combined platform... and harder to use. I've used them all and they don't compare... so lets just say competition hasnt gotten us too far yet...
      03-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #20
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
I'd really rather not have Google tracking my every move baked into every car for them to sell.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #21
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
All of these other systems (bmw, audi and benz) are worss than google's singular combined platform... and harder to use. I've used them all and they don't compare... so lets just say competition hasnt gotten us too far yet...
I'd disagree and find the routes routinely provided by google are worse than those in my F80. Typically routes I know to be badly congested, under construction, etc. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #22
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

BMW and Diamler Merging Mobility Divisions

Quote:
Daimler and BMW Group are preparing for a future where car ownership, especially in major cities, could become a thing of the past.

The two German auto giants in March announced plans to merge their various mobility services into a 50:50 joint-venture company headquartered in Berlin, and on Wednesday they announced that the merger has been given regulatory approval by competition watchdogs, including here in the United States.

Further details on the new mobility company will be announced in the first quarter of 2019. By then, we should also have knowledge of its name.

At its core is expected to be a single app combining numerous mobility services. For example, with the one app you'll be able to hail a ride, use a car in a shared fleet, pay for street or garage parking, locate a charging station for an EV, and much more.

The app may even integrate payments and information for public transport services. The idea is to create a simple yet comprehensive mobility solution for getting from A to B.

A few of the services that we already know are being merged in the joint-venture company are Daimler's Moovel, MyTaxi and Car2Go services and BMW Group's ReachNow, DriveNow and ParkNow services.

Crucially, the joint-venture company will also oversee all future mobility services to be developed, like a self-driving taxi service. Daimler and supplier giant Bosch will have a trial self-driving service up and running in the heart of Silicon Valley in late 2019.

It was also reported Thursday that Daimler and BMW Group could eventually start sharing parts and technology, including whole vehicle platforms. Bloomberg, citing people familiar with the matter, said the two automakers are in early exploratory talks about sharing of vehicle platforms, electric car batteries, and self-driving technology in an effort to reduce costs.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...lity-divisions
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0