BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-17-2023, 04:14 PM   #45
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
If you are impartial to xDrive then I would not give up "must have options" for xDrive.

The scenario playing out in my head is this: xDrive is great for launches, traction, and resale value. But how often would I, knowing how I drive and my mannerisms, launch the car at a red light? Would I go to a drag strip or do straight line racing? If the answer to these questions is not often enough, then I would not sacrifice things such as the interior options, leather finish, exterior paint, etc for xDrive. Your resale value down the line will go down as most people are interested in launching the G8X than anything else, so xDrive is/will be in more demand, but apart from that - I don't see any downsides to picking a RWD Competition with options you want over an xDrive Competition that is lacking in your choices.

So if you aren't going to utilise what xDrive is great for, then don't compromise what you value in the car just for the occasional launch.

The other option, as mentioned by another in this thread, is saving a considerable amount of money and going for the 6MT version. The S58 has great traction even fully tuned (custom map on bootmod3 with 93 fuel, I don't break traction on my stickier rubber flat footing 2nd gear with decently temp'd tyres) and the 6MT experience, while lacking in many areas, is still more fun than flappy paddles/ZF8. The money saved in outright cost + insurance means plenty of $$$ for mods plus it's probably the last manual M3, so enjoy it if you can or are willing to learn manual, which, in the G8X, is very easy given all the assists [...]
Well said. Exactly my thoughts, not sacrificing options I value more like color and interior for xdrive at the same price. Manual is annoying also with the right options and price yes.
      08-17-2023, 04:30 PM   #46
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
You can find well equipped, low millage xDrive for around 85k. They're not super common, but it's definitely doable. I'd say go on BMW's website and do a minimally viable build that you're comfortable with and find out what the MSRP is for your build. Then see how far that number is from your budget. If you can build a new one for ~90k, then you should be able to find a car with less than 10k miles that meets your requirements. Having said that, if you are super picky with the colors and options, that becomes more of a challenge.

I've seen 95k MSRP cars with less than 10k miles that have sold for about 5-10k less than MSRP.

Also, if you're hell bent on having bucket seats, consider buying the car and swapping the seats with someone who's sick of theirs.
aOnly one found on bmw stite below even 80k is black. Interior is good, no buckets but good color. But but damn I have m50i all black. Even at that price still go for 85k rwd. Or I guess I can wrap it also and find some how buckets seats.
Attached Images

08-17-2023, 04:48 PM   #47
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Personally, I think you’re looking for this car at the wrong time. MY ‘21 3 year leases won’t come due till later this year, or next year. Then add another year for MY’22, etc. People don’t often get rid of them, but when they do, they get sold quick.

Perhaps it’s best to set alerts on car sites, or, spec one out so it’s individualized to your tastes. The latter is the route I went after giving up on the used search, about 4 months ago. I’m excited to finally be getting one. And a manual, to boot. X-Drive with a manual would have been great, alas, BMW ain’t got Subaru AWD technology! So they gave XD to the auto crowd only. Blah!
Appreciate 1
yoandry701.50
      08-17-2023, 08:08 PM   #48
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
Personally, I think you’re looking for this car at the wrong time. MY ‘21 3 year leases won’t come due till later this year, or next year. Then add another year for MY’22, etc. People don’t often get rid of them, but when they do, they get sold quick.

Perhaps it’s best to set alerts on car sites, or, spec one out so it’s individualized to your tastes. The latter is the route I went after giving up on the used search, about 4 months ago. I’m excited to finally be getting one. And a manual, to boot. X-Drive with a manual would have been great, alas, BMW ain’t got Subaru AWD technology! So they gave XD to the auto crowd only. Blah!
Thats a good point, I never leased before. I forgot, they are are 2 o 3 years? My years window search are 21 and 22, so yes, at the end of this year and next one market will have more of those lease returned.
I'm not in a rush, I have some time to mess around here in the g80 forum and see what good and not. I'm still modding my m50i.
      08-18-2023, 07:19 AM   #49
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

The first lease-end opportunities could be interesting. I leased mine (and regret doing so since I love my car) and my residual is in the low 40's as my out-the-door price was low for a G80 (Manual, exec, parking, no full leather, no carbon pack, Oregon car so no sales tax in the mix). I JUST hit 15k miles so my car has a lot of life left in it. I'll probably only put a couple more thousand miles on it by lease-end.

When I look at what I could buy with the same money next March, the options are pretty poor compared to keeping my M3. Trade a sub-20k miles Manual M3 for a $93ish k X-Drive? Give it up to drive a Golf R? Another manual M3/M4 with slightly different options would be totally daft with current interest rates and price increases. Buy it out and then trade it on something else hoping to make a profit vs. the residual (not entirely out of the question)?

An M car is never a good financial decision, but it's a good think I adore my Frog since buying out also seems like the least stupid bad decision at this point.

I could be wrong but think there will be more people buying out their leases and keeping their cars than in the past.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 07:32 AM   #50
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yeah, but you're comparing a RWD non-comp MT to a xDrive comp. That's a big jump. The OP is questioning Comp RWD vs. Comp xDrive.

I've driven all the variants. M3 RWD 6MT, Comp RWD and Comp XDrive. I ordered an xDrive as that's what I prefer. My last three powerful cars were all AWD. Two Model 3's (one Performance) and a 911 Turbo S. I am a grunt and grip guy. I like torque and I like traction. Even when not gunning it, I love rolling out and feeling the shove from all 4 wheels. It's just my preference.

The RWD is on the very edge of having enough traction. It does, but it can be made to break loose easily. For me, that's not what I want. It's by no means a handful...I grew up on powerful RWD cars (Supra, Z32 300ZX) in the Northeast so I'm not afraid of a little tail happiness. But given the choice, I chose the xDrive.

But if shopping used? I wouldn't let it deter you. Joe Achilles lived for about 9 months with a RWD and then switched to an xDrive. For where he is in rainy old england, xDrive is the better choice. Watch this video, it is VERY informative.

The AutotopNL guys have driven a BOATLOAD of M3's and own a RWD 6MT. They would tell you that even though you can put the xDrive into RWD mode, the steering in the RWD Comp is better.

Net net...it's damn close. Nothing at all wrong with the RWD. If you're going FBO, just be careful. This thing likes to light em up. Consider some wider rears and stickier tires. But shit, it's a very well engineered chassis and Porsche made a 700 HP GT2. It's not like you can't do it. We're all just splitting hairs here. It's not like the chassis can't handle the power. It's very well set up. Joe Achilles, even in England on shitty roads, was over the moon with the traction on his RWD. This is NOT an F80 where it'd get sideways on you all over the place. This chassis is much more capable.

Harry Metcalf's review is also good. He pretty much agrees with me that it's a bit of a character, but not too unruly in RWD only:

I have also driven the RWD Comp and it was quite good. This was the car that make me realize the ZF8 was much better than what I had in my M5Comp (which was not very good).
I never thought the RWD 6MT car was bad. It has way, way more traction and confidence than the F8X cars - I very much disliked the F80 and F82 I owned from a suspension standpoint (as well as a coupe other things remedied in the G8x).
I really don't think you can go wrong with any in reality but I think the breadth of what the xdrive provides is the same ethos of why cars like the 911 turbo/S and GT-R have been perenially great and sought after cars.
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6870.00
      08-18-2023, 07:55 AM   #51
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
I have also driven the RWD Comp and it was quite good. This was the car that make me realize the ZF8 was much better than what I had in my M5Comp (which was not very good).
I never thought the RWD 6MT car was bad. It has way, way more traction and confidence than the F8X cars - I very much disliked the F80 and F82 I owned from a suspension standpoint (as well as a coupe other things remedied in the G8x).
I really don't think you can go wrong with any in reality but I think the breadth of what the xdrive provides is the same ethos of why cars like the 911 turbo/S and GT-R have been perenially great and sought after cars.
Yeah, I agree with the above.

I really, REALLY, wanted an F80. I test drove all manner of F8X for I think at least a year. Finally I was getting to the point where I needed to make a decision. I drove a 2016 F80, a C63, and a used 911 in the same day. I ended up setting my sights on a 911. I just could NOT gel with the F80's chassis or power delivery. It was so unsorted. That rear end just could not hook up for the life of it and did strange things on nasty bumps. I never drove a CS although I heard they were better.

I ended up with a 991.1 Carrera S, two Model 3's and a 997 Turbo S in the meantime and I think I really just prefer the way an automatic / turbo / awd combo feels. I know people are junkies for revs, and my 991 was a rev machine and while it was absolutely glorious on my drive across the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Tail of the Dragon, in day to day it was just...annoying.

Of course, the G8X is turbocharged in all forms so that eliminates the need to chase revs to make power. But I find that the turbo power band and the auto is just really sweet. They are dialed in. And not having to worry about traction at all when you just lay into it in traffic is just so nice. I loooooove just riding that wave of boost. The M3, especially the Performance, is otherworldy in how good the traction is on relatively skinny all season low rolling resistance tires. I mean, there is no second thought. You accelerate as fast as your right foot hits the floor, period. And while for a fun car the EV lacks emotion, the absolutely seamless delivery does have it's rewards, and is something I loved in my Turbo S.

So while RWD is definitely more playful, and not in the least unmanageable, even for inexperienced drivers, for me having more traction than power is addicting.
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2023, 08:39 AM   #52
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yeah, I agree with the above.

I really, REALLY, wanted an F80. I test drove all manner of F8X for I think at least a year. Finally I was getting to the point where I needed to make a decision. I drove a 2016 F80, a C63, and a used 911 in the same day. I ended up setting my sights on a 911. I just could NOT gel with the F80's chassis or power delivery. It was so unsorted. That rear end just could not hook up for the life of it and did strange things on nasty bumps. I never drove a CS although I heard they were better.

I ended up with a 991.1 Carrera S, two Model 3's and a 997 Turbo S in the meantime and I think I really just prefer the way an automatic / turbo / awd combo feels. I know people are junkies for revs, and my 991 was a rev machine and while it was absolutely glorious on my drive across the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Tail of the Dragon, in day to day it was just...annoying.

Of course, the G8X is turbocharged in all forms so that eliminates the need to chase revs to make power. But I find that the turbo power band and the auto is just really sweet. They are dialed in. And not having to worry about traction at all when you just lay into it in traffic is just so nice. I loooooove just riding that wave of boost. The M3, especially the Performance, is otherworldy in how good the traction is on relatively skinny all season low rolling resistance tires. I mean, there is no second thought. You accelerate as fast as your right foot hits the floor, period. And while for a fun car the EV lacks emotion, the absolutely seamless delivery does have it's rewards, and is something I loved in my Turbo S.

So while RWD is definitely more playful, and not in the least unmanageable, even for inexperienced drivers, for me having more traction than power is addicting.
Yes, the F80 was a mess of a car from an overall perspective. It had some good qualities, like the stlying, but otherwise it was a car that just felt like a mish-mosh. And the ensuing attitude was odd - all of a sudden the people who said things like "X car is a handful to drive, I'd never buy one" all of a suddent thought the fact that the car couldnt put down power was an endearing trait.
I do think the turbo engines do benefit from an auto/automated manual since they keep you in boost much better.
I love my 991.1 Carrera S. It's still a car that feels special and incredible how much more feel it has than BMW in the steering despite being their first iteration...and that they've only gotten better in the new cars and GT cars. I also prefer NA engines so this car with the classic silhouette and PTS, PCCB, and manual make it just an occasion to drive.
The EVs are fun too. We've got a Mustang Mach-E GT Performance and the 634 lb-ft really throws you back...plus the styling is on point IMO. I can see why people like the instant acceleration but it lacks beyond that in terms of sound, etc.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2023, 08:45 AM   #53
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

RWD is sick. And the ZF8 suits the engine.
I'd have picked a RWD M3C if I didn't live in a snowy place. I run my M3CX in RWD mode 90% of the time anyway.
      08-18-2023, 11:35 AM   #54
Kemps2Fast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i 18 - M240ix 20 - M3C 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkb View Post
Portland area?
Yeah I can send you a video if you want lol
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 11:40 AM   #55
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemps2Fast View Post
Yeah I can send you a video if you want lol
If it’s IOMG then I was there. I have some photos as well. But curious to see that video!
      08-18-2023, 11:52 AM   #56
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Yes, the F80 was a mess of a car from an overall perspective. It had some good qualities, like the stlying, but otherwise it was a car that just felt like a mish-mosh. And the ensuing attitude was odd - all of a sudden the people who said things like "X car is a handful to drive, I'd never buy one" all of a suddent thought the fact that the car couldnt put down power was an endearing trait.
I do think the turbo engines do benefit from an auto/automated manual since they keep you in boost much better.
I love my 991.1 Carrera S. It's still a car that feels special and incredible how much more feel it has than BMW in the steering despite being their first iteration...and that they've only gotten better in the new cars and GT cars. I also prefer NA engines so this car with the classic silhouette and PTS, PCCB, and manual make it just an occasion to drive.
The EVs are fun too. We've got a Mustang Mach-E GT Performance and the 634 lb-ft really throws you back...plus the styling is on point IMO. I can see why people like the instant acceleration but it lacks beyond that in terms of sound, etc.
That was F80s charm. I admit I hated it at first, but I absolutely loved every bit of it by the time I sold it. It had a lot of character, and it felt special getting behind the wheel every time I did. The jolt of the DCT, the sound, the jumpiness at low speeds and the brutal sideway spins were all part of the charm. G80 is too civilized and comfortable and for some reason, I don't love it as much.
2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 12:05 PM   #57
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
That was F80s charm. I admit I hated it at first, but I absolutely loved every bit of it by the time I sold it. It had a lot of character, and it felt special getting behind the wheel every time I did. The jolt of the DCT, the sound, the jumpiness at low speeds and the brutal sideway spins were all part of the charm. G80 is too civilized and comfortable and for some reason, I don't love it as much.
That's totally fair. I just never could find anything endearing about the way it drove. It sounded so awful, the suspension was so unplanted, the spiky nature of the powertrain just was awful and it had no top end beyond 5500 rpms. I think they tried to make it feel to hardcore but it just didnt work on anything but a smooth surface.
The G8x for me fixed the sound, and suspension and included a top notch interior in quality and design. I like the duality of being a very comfortable car when I want it but unleasing a very powerful and precise car when needed. It truly mimicks what and why the 992 turbo/S are easily some of the best dual purpose cars, but it's actually practical.
Appreciate 1
jad4ca3.50
      08-18-2023, 12:18 PM   #58
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's totally fair. I just never could find anything endearing about the way it drove. It sounded so awful, the suspension was so unplanted, the spiky nature of the powertrain just was awful and it had no top end beyond 5500 rpms. I think they tried to make it feel to hardcore but it just didnt work on anything but a smooth surface.
The G8x for me fixed the sound, and suspension and included a top notch interior in quality and design. I like the duality of being a very comfortable car when I want it but unleasing a very powerful and precise car when needed. It truly mimicks what and why the 992 turbo/S are easily some of the best dual purpose cars, but it's actually practical.
You think G80 sounds better than F80 Comp? My G80 sounds like a lawn mower sometimes.
2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 12:33 PM   #59
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
You think G80 sounds better than F80 Comp? My G80 sounds like a lawn mower sometimes.
I have never heard an F80 I thought sounded even tolerable except for maybe with an equal length midpipe. The G80 sounds quite a bit better to me and even when stock with decent throttle have had people ask me why it sounded so good.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 12:57 PM   #60
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have never heard an F80 I thought sounded even tolerable except for maybe with an equal length midpipe. The G80 sounds quite a bit better to me and even when stock with decent throttle have had people ask me why it sounded so good.
Maybe you don't like the pops and burbles. G80 doesn't even fully open up the valves and people zip tie them to get them fully open.

2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 01:27 PM   #61
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you don't like the pops and burbles. G80 doesn't even fully open up the valves and people zip tie them to get them fully open.

I know re: valve partial closure in the G8x but there's just something about the tinny raspyness of that F8x exhaust note that I dont like. I never liked it when I owned them and my stance hasnt changed. That also isnt to say that the G8x is perfect as I have a non resonated Akra mid and akra exhaust about to go on my second G80 M3.
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6870.00
jad4ca3.50
      08-18-2023, 01:48 PM   #62
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, the comparison between previous cars is what it is.

As far as the RWD M3 being bad, a la the title of the thread, I would say no. They’ve been working on their technology for years, and it’s a sound one.

With the advent of AWD in the latest g8x platforms, more people opt for it, for ultimate traction. The base and comp rwd still have plenty of traction, and from what I’ve read/heard/watched, it’s improved over the f8x generation, which is good in my mind.
Appreciate 1
yoandry701.50
      08-18-2023, 02:19 PM   #63
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Growing up, M3’s to me have always been RWD, Audi was Quattro but The AWD is definitely a nice addition, especially if tuning for 600bhp+, but if you are not in to drag racing and you live in Florida, I would buy the car with the options YOU want like buckets etc and a nice color and don’t get too hung up on RWD/AWD

I got one of the early RWD cars and love it and I live in the North East. No problems driving fast in the rain, traction is very good unless you drive like a man idiot
Appreciate 1
mcsquared778.00
      08-18-2023, 02:35 PM   #64
Gottagofast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp X-Drive

AWD makes the G82 a track monster. I managed to beat a 997 GT3 with my stock G82.
Appreciate 3
yoandry701.50
mcsquared778.00
      08-18-2023, 03:15 PM   #65
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I dont know why the m3s exhaust aren't that good. I will be disappointed in sound going one day in V8 and another day in the m3. .

08-18-2023, 07:35 PM   #66
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
I dont know why the m3s exhaust aren't that good. I will be disappointed in sound going one day in V8 and another day in the m3. .

Look into a CT5 BW. Maybe a better choice, near term. Of course, they too are hard to find.
Appreciate 0