Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions How to remove front lower grille?

02-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #1
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Title says it all. From all indications it appears bumper has to come off. I once had detailer installed ceramic coat/PPF on my front bumper but the shop took off the front lip in order to wrap the entire bumper (even when I had clearly asked not to take off the lip.) I brought it to the dealership/CRCC and I was quoted 6 hours for labor just to remove and reinstall the bumper. Of course the detailer ended up paying.

This time I’ll be the one paying if the bumper has to go off. Is there no way to install these? I have seen videos of the two side grilles (at the edge of the bumper on both sides) removed without taking down the bumper but I need to replace the grille circled in the screenshot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:37 AM   #2
Ballzilla
Tommy Boy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 Msport XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Title says it all. From all indications it appears bumper has to come off. I once had detailer installed ceramic coat/PPF on my front bumper but the shop took off the front lip in order to wrap the entire bumper (even when I had clearly asked not to take off the lip.) I brought it to the dealership/CRCC and I was quoted 6 hours for labor just to remove and reinstall the bumper. Of course the detailer ended up paying.

This time I’ll be the one paying if the bumper has to go off. Is there no way to install these? I have seen videos of the two side grilles (at the edge of the bumper on both sides) removed without taking down the bumper but I need to replace the grille circled in the screenshot.

Good Question.

I am looking to remove just the end piece of the lower grille. Circled below in pic.

After some research i found lower grille is 3 separate parts 2 outer and large one in the middle.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ballzilla; 02-10-2023 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:50 AM   #3
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzilla View Post
Good Question.

I am looking to remove just the end piece of the lower grille. Circled below in pic.

After some research i found lower grille is 3 separate parts 2 outer and large one in the middle.
Yes you have to replace the entire middle grille. It’s a single piece. It appears to be attached directly into the bumper which is why I’m suspecting bumper might need to come off.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:54 AM   #4
Ballzilla
Tommy Boy
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes you have to replace the entire middle grille. It’s a single piece. It appears to be attached directly into the bumper which is why I’m suspecting bumper might need to come off.

This is what I found as a replacement. My left lower grille is cracked
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 10:12 AM   #5
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzilla View Post
This is what I found as a replacement. My left lower grille is cracked
It probably depends on whether you have stop-and-go sensor for ACC. There are multiple part numbers for the grille itself depending on model and specs. But I could be wrong. Doesn’t matter in my case because the damage on mine is on the center part. But if you look closely at my screenshot you’ll notice that even the right/left parts you’re referring to aren’t standalone on mine. But I’ll check it again.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 10:23 AM   #6
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

I can confirm the bumper needs to come off the car. I replaced the lower far right grill after a rock cracked one of the hexagon shaped grills.

I'll be honest, its a nightmare of a job considering how easy it could be in the grills were installed from the front. The bumper removal itself is easy but you need to remove two large plastic trims that keep the shape of the bumper and these are not easy to click back in once removed.

I'm fairly technical minded and lend myself to most forms of DIY but this was a full day to remove swap over and re install. I was been ultra careful and wanted to make sure every clip was correctly seated but evn so it took far longer than I first thought.

My worry with letting someone else do it is that if not all the clips are correctly seated the plastic trim doesn't sit correctly and shows uneven panel gaps.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 10:28 AM   #7
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

ballagans you’re right. The actual part number in my case is: 51118069368

Just got word from CRCC: they are quoting close to $900 for parts and labor (part is around $80 plus tax) So sounds like they are taking off bumper. Good grief.

https://www.genuinebmwminiparts.com/...le-51118069368
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 10:33 AM   #8
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
I can confirm the bumper needs to come off the car. I replaced the lower far right grill after a rock cracked one of the hexagon shaped grills.

I'll be honest, its a nightmare of a job considering how easy it could be in the grills were installed from the front. The bumper removal itself is easy but you need to remove two large plastic trims that keep the shape of the bumper and these are not easy to click back in once removed.

I'm fairly technical minded and lend myself to most forms of DIY but this was a full day to remove swap over and re install. I was been ultra careful and wanted to make sure every clip was correctly seated but evn so it took far longer than I first thought.

My worry with letting someone else do it is that if not all the clips are correctly seated the plastic trim doesn't sit correctly and shows uneven panel gaps.
Thanks for the feedback! I’m all about DIY like oil changes and what not but this one is beyond what I’m willing to DIY considering all the sensors I have on that bumper. Kudos to you. Might just have to live with it a little longer until I can swallow the bitter pill and bring it in. I agree that this is a little unecessary - they could have certainly had this be plug-and-play.

As an aside maybe this video might have helped you:

https://youtu.be/L8mQ2fVIHhY
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 04:08 PM   #9
Ballzilla
Tommy Boy
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post

The bumper would have to be removed even for the small far right or left grille piece? Seems like it can pop out and snap in a new one. 🤔
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 11:19 PM   #10
///Medge
Private
Rep
Drives: Tbd

I have similar damage on 2023 m340i. Took 1.5 hrs labor, no bumper removal. Different design I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:30 AM   #11
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Medge View Post
I have similar damage on 2023 m340i. Took 1.5 hrs labor, no bumper removal. Different design I guess.
Care to share a pic of your front bumper? Are you referring to the center grille or the ones on the far edge/corner of the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:52 AM   #12
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

I just received an estimate from BMW CCRC to repair damage to my front grille, headlight & fog light assembly/surround trim.

You can their quotes for the various parts & labor.
Attached Images

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:56 AM   #13
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Take it to a trusted local body shop. They will do it for a quarter of what BMW will charge.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 12:01 PM   #14
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
Take it to a trusted local body shop. They will do it for a quarter of what BMW will charge.
I thought about it too but given all the sensors I have in front — including ACC — just don’t want to take that risk with Indy.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 12:03 PM   #15
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I just received an estimate from BMW CCRC to repair damage to my front grille, headlight & fog light assembly/surround trim.

You can their quotes for the various parts & labor.
Another option is have your insurer involved. That quote will drop down considerably after the adjuster steps in. If you opt to pay after that point you certainly can — assuming you don’t want to file a claim that goes on record.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 04:59 PM   #16
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Another option is have your insurer involved. That quote will drop down considerably after the adjuster steps in. If you opt to pay after that point you certainly can — assuming you don’t want to file a claim that goes on record.
I'm not paying for this out of pocket, insurance is handling it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 05:03 PM   #17
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Then why do you care what it costs? Have the dealer handle it and don’t worry about it.

Edit: sorry, you aren’t the OP. Carry on.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 09:34 PM   #18
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah okay. Even better.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 09:11 AM   #19
///Medge
Private
Rep
Drives: Tbd

Quote:
Care to share a pic of your front bumper? Are you referring to the center grille or the ones on the far edge/corner of the bumper?
The lower center honeycomb grill.

The lci only has one big honeycomb piece in the middle
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 06:04 PM   #20
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Closing the loop here for those who might come across this post in the future: I had this done at the dealership for $700 under instance claim. It was regarded as a no-fault accident by insurance.

I should add that they were charging me over $900 initially but when insurance stepped in the bill dropped to $700. SMH
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:57 PM   #21
arfengslw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Medge View Post
I have the same car as you and had damage to the lower grille. May I ask how you removed the lower grille? I can't find any video on Youtube or anything.... Thank you so much in advance.
Appreciate 0