Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MHD or BM3 tune for M340i

02-19-2024, 10:03 PM   #1
NOLAGUYB58
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

MHD or BM3 tune for M340i

trying to figure out which tune is best for me, before I drop this cash. I appreciate you guys for all opinions and advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:09 AM   #2
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Not knocking down bm3 in any way but my deciding factor was the mhd unlocker. I heard over many posts that theyune itself is similar. But I don’t think bm3 has a unlock device. Mhd was it for me as i can unlock as much as I need to. And on my first install the unlocker throughly impressed. Currently on the e40 map and very impressed.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 06:38 AM   #3
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340 Xdrive, 2023 M3CX

Bm3 gets my vote. Not a fan of MHD at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 09:23 AM   #4
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

write-in candidates accepted? �� If yes, my vote would be for Mission, based in the US and also with an at-home unlock tool (MLink). Phenomenal customer service, more power than most any OTS+, and OEM-like drivability. Also, better pricing, and if you go with their iOS app, the trans tune is included.

Yes, I'm a fan! ��

But listen, you'll be happy with any of the majors (BM3, MHD, Mission, MG, Dinan). With nothing to compare to, you'll be happy with whatever you drive. A lot of people are happy with whatever flash they end up with but haven't had the opportunity to try others, and that's okay. I've tried many over the years but ended up with Mission. BUT that's because they check all the boxes for ME (and maybe not you). They are all a little different in terms of product and approach so if you do your research based on what is important to YOU, there will be a clear choice for you. Contact them all and listen to what they say.

As an example, I don't care about switching maps on the stock, anti-lag, 3rd party custom tune support, or an infinite number of exhaust burble settings, etc. If I did, it wouldn't have been Mission for me. And those features are super important to some. What I did care about was US-based support, maximum HP but with an emphasis on OEM-like driving experience and engine reliability. Now, add in their unlock tool and an included transmission tune and their new iOS app all at a killer price, and Mission certainly should be considered in the mix. BUT again, no support for some tuner options that are deal-breakers for some. They take more of a flash-and-forget approach (again, good for me, maybe not others). BUT mission does not play with an overseas femto unlock so if you are 21+ they automatically get kicked out.

Vendors will jump in here and tell you to go with XYZ because it's widely adopted or it's what they sell, and others will subjectively state their opinion as objective fact, "XYZ is the best," but at the end of the day, it's what's best for YOU.

P.S. The Mission unlock tool (MLink) is a universal bench unlock, so don't let that sway you. It'll unlock for their own tune, along with MHD, BM3.

You're in for quite a ride no matter what you choose

Last edited by RTPenland; 02-20-2024 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: added ps
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 11:13 AM   #5
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘20 m340ix

I was impressed by Mission as well. I will probably go with their tune this spring.

I’ve had BM3 and it worked well. I was not a fan of their customer service, so will not buy from them again.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 11:17 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I prefer BM3 because they are tuners and software engineers. the entire product is made and updated in-house. So you are getting the best tune and more importantly the best support.

the MHD team are not tuners, they are software engineers. they buy their off-the-shelf maps from third-party tuners. but then when you need support, you contact MHD who did not even create the map or ever claimed to know tuning.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 4
RTPenland408.50
RMNB366.00
BLK.G20214.00
      02-20-2024, 11:38 AM   #7
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

This is great objective info (I had no idea that regarding MHD) so that is a similarity between BM3 and Mission with everything being "in-house." There is however a difference when it comes to the next-step "custom tuning" where BM3 opens their platform to 3rd party tuners whereas mission does the custom tuning in house.

Again not good or bad just different. I suppose if this was important to a potential buyer, some would want the flexibility to go with an independent 3rd party tuner and use BM3 (or MHD) whereas someone that wanted to continue down the path to custom but still keep it all under the same umbrella would find mission to be a good candidate. And someone that wanted to go custom right from the start may prefer ECUTEK

More objective tid-bits that come to mind is the way the software is loaded
BM3 & MHD load via IOS or Android apps
Mission loads via IOS app or PC

And where the companies are based and support comes from
BM3 & MG Canada
Mission USA
Dinan USA
MHD Germany

Provides at home bench unlock option
MHD Yes MHD unlocker tool
Mission Yes M-Link tool (includes backup function)
BM3, MG No but mission M-Link can be used

Last edited by RTPenland; 02-20-2024 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 12:40 PM   #8
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
This is great objective info (I had no idea) so that is a similarity between BM3 and Mission with everything being "in-house." There is however a difference when it comes to the next-step "custom tuning" where BM3 opens their platform to 3rd party tuners whereas mission does the custom tuning in house.

Again not good or bad just different. I suppose if this was important to a potential buyer, some would want the flexibility to go with an independent 3rd party tuner and use BM3 (or MHD) whereas someone that wanted to continue down the path to custom but still keep it all under the same umbrella would find mission to be a good candidate.

More objective tid-bits that come to mind is the way the software is loaded
BM3 & MHD load via IOS or Android apps
Mission loads via IOS app or PC

And where the companies are based and support comes from
BM3 & MG Canada
Mission USA
Dinan USA
MHD Germany

I love the objective information I think this is useful
For more objective information, BM3 gets OTS tunes from HCP,
MHD gets tunes from best tuner for specific engine platform

Im not sure where this info about bm3 being tuners and MHD not being tuners is coming from, which is indeed wrong

With MHD you also can get MHD Unlocker so you unlock it yourself now and in future,
and customer service time is not limited to EST as support team works from different time zones

and, MHD has tuners on staff that help custom tuners with tuning questions

Also, keep in mind that with BM3, custom tunes go through BM3 server, that's why many good tuners avoid them as they don't want their work to be shared with tuning platform..

With MHD its direct from tuner to customer
Appreciate 1
abbike18707.00
      02-20-2024, 01:18 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
For more objective information, BM3 gets OTS tunes from HCP
Halim is a part of the Bootmod3 team. so when you say they get it from Halim, they are getting it from their tuner.

Quote:
MHD gets tunes from best tuner for specific engine platform
How are you determining who is the best tuner for each platform? Please explain to me how Wedge is the best tuner for the N54 (that's where MHD bought their maps from).

Quote:
Im not sure where this info about bm3 being tuners and MHD not being tuners is coming from, which is indeed wrong
Bootmod3's team, including Halim, and Dzenno, the founder of bm3 and a known tuner for N54/N55 engines with custom maps for Cobb, create their own maps in-house.

MHD sources map from third-party tuners without directly associating with MHD's internal team. For example, MHD acquired N54 maps from Wedge and B58 maps from a different tuner, etc...

Describing them as software engineers rather than tuners isn't an insult (I'm a software engineer and very proud of it. I'm not a tuner, or fabricator, or a product designer); they themselves don't claim to be tuners since they don't make their own maps.

What we are discussing are simple facts. you are free to like the MHD software better, you are also free to like the third party MHD maps better or even their support. but to claim BM3 and MHD are the same is a bit of a stretch.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:44 PM   #10
imap777
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Halim is a part of the Bootmod3 team. so when you say they get it from Halim, they are getting it from their tuner.

How are you determining who is the best tuner for each platform? Please explain to me how Wedge is the best tuner for the N54 (that's where MHD bought their maps from).

Bootmod3's team, including Halim, and Dzenno, the founder of bm3 and a known tuner for N54/N55 engines with custom maps for Cobb, create their own maps in-house.

MHD sources map from third-party tuners without directly associating with MHD's internal team. For example, MHD acquired N54 maps from Wedge and B58 maps from a different tuner, etc...

Describing them as software engineers rather than tuners isn't an insult (I'm a software engineer and very proud of it. I'm not a tuner, or fabricator, or a product designer); they themselves don't claim to be tuners since they don't make their own maps.

What we are discussing are simple facts. you are free to like the MHD software better, you are also free to like the third party MHD maps better or even their support. but to claim BM3 and MHD are the same is a bit of a stretch.
Lol this is funny. Do you have at least remote understanding how a modern ECU works, and what does it take to customize its software part, and that one needs to be tuner+ for that? Have you ever analyzed a FUNK doc to understand the logic?

If not, please do not misinform on specifics you have a very limited idea about.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 03:21 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imap777 View Post
Lol this is funny. Do you have at least remote understanding how a modern ECU works, and what does it take to customize its software part, and that one needs to be tuner+ for that? Have you ever analyzed a FUNK doc to understand the logic?

If not, please do not misinform on specifics you have a very limited idea about.
I've posted clear explanations regarding the map. If you believe any of my posts are incorrect, please quote the sentence you disagree with, and let's have a polite discussion.

questioning my understanding and discrediting me personally without addressing specific points I've made; contrary to what you think does not make your argument look good.

Based on your previous posts, it appears you're associated with MHD. I'd like to offer a piece of advice: don't belittle others, particularly someone who has been part of this forum for 11 years. keep the conversation professional to protect MHD image. Disagreements are natural; after all, forums are designed for open discussions

Appreciate 2
      02-20-2024, 03:34 PM   #12
imap777
Rep

Quote:
I've posted clear explanations regarding the map. If you believe any of my posts are incorrect, please quote the sentence you disagree with, and let's have a polite discussion.

questioning my understanding and discrediting me personally without addressing specific points I've made; contrary to what you think does not make your argument look good.

Based on your previous posts, it appears you're associated with MHD. I'd like to offer a piece of advice: don't belittle others, particularly someone who has been part of this forum for 11 years. keep the conversation professional to protect MHD image. Disagreements are natural; after all, forums are designed for open discussions
Stating that MHD has no tuners because some of the maps are partnered/outsourced/purchased is incorrect. When you're saying, "prefer to buy a map from a tuner and not a software engineer," - this is spreading false information and a clear indicator of a lack of knowledge on the subject or the company's structure, which I am pointing out to you and any other reader.
Appreciate 1
Davg31110.00
      02-20-2024, 04:00 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

I requested that you pinpoint and respond to a specific statement I made, yet your reply once again did not do so. but don't worry i will do that for you

here is your response
When you're saying, "prefer to buy a map from a tuner and not a software engineer," - this is spreading false information and a clear indicator of a lack of knowledge

here is the post you are referring to
"I prefer BM3 because they are tuners and software engineers. the entire product is made and updated in-house. So you are getting the best tune and more importantly the best support."

I PREFER, that's my opinion. i would instead get my map from the company that made the map. You cannot accuse me of spreading false information.
1- the information is correct. PTF make their maps in-house, MHD buys it from tuners
2-that's my opinion. My opinion is not false information, it's my personal preference

here is the other part of your response
"Stating that MHD has no tuners because some of the maps are partnered/outsourced/purchased is incorrect."

I've created custom maps for myself, as well as for friends and customers. but I don't consider myself a tuner since i do not sell my maps professionally. If you identify as a tuner, that's your prerogative. However, it's important to clarify that the maps you're offering for sale aren't your work; you've bought them from other tuners. so these particular maps cannot be attributed to your tuning expertise.

and the third part of your response
"this is spreading false information and a clear indicator of a lack of knowledge on the subject or the company's structure, which I am pointing out to you and any other reader. "

the other reader you are referring to is Levanime, which also works with MHD. he makes the MHD flex fuel kit (another part that MHD gets from a third party it seems). Both of you posting on here without making it clear that you are part of MHD is shady as is, but when you start quoting each other, its just laughable

again, if anything I said is wrong, quote the sentence and discuss it, don't make a general statement to confuse the readers.

I'd like to also note that PTF does all their electronic assemblies in-house, they also have an in-house state of the art dyno to test all their maps and make adjustments as needed. also, they have their own built-in-house map editor, MHD uses Tunerpro, another third-party application.

Appreciate 2
      02-20-2024, 04:09 PM   #14
Davg31
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G23

Never again BM3 for me never had an answer to the question I asked when I had a problem with their after-sales department, run away from BM3, I'm even hesitating to sell my license and switch to another supplier.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 04:13 PM   #15
imap777
Rep

Quote:
I requested that you pinpoint and respond to a specific statement I made, yet your reply once again did not do so. but don't worry i will do that for you

here is your response
When you're saying, "prefer to buy a map from a tuner and not a software engineer," - this is spreading false information and a clear indicator of a lack of knowledge

here is the post you are referring to
"I prefer BM3 because they are tuners and software engineers. the entire product is made and updated in-house. So you are getting the best tune and more importantly the best support."

I PREFER, that's my opinion. i would instead get my map from the company that made the map. You cannot accuse me of spreading false information.
1- the information is correct. PTF make their maps in-house, MHD buys it from tuners
2-that's my opinion. My opinion is not false information, it's my personal preference

here is the other part of your response
"Stating that MHD has no tuners because some of the maps are partnered/outsourced/purchased is incorrect."

I've created custom maps for myself, as well as for friends and customers. but I don't consider myself a tuner since i do not sell my maps professionally. If you identify as a tuner, that's your prerogative. However, it's important to clarify that the maps you're offering for sale aren't your work; you've bought them from other tuners. so these particular maps cannot be attributed to your tuning expertise.

and the third part of your response
"this is spreading false information and a clear indicator of a lack of knowledge on the subject or the company's structure, which I am pointing out to you and any other reader. "

the other reader you are referring to is Levanime, which also works with MHD. he makes the MHD flex fuel kit (another part that MHD gets from a third party it seems). Both of you posting on here without making it clear that you are part of MHD is shady as is, but when you start quoting each other, its just laughable

again, if anything I said is wrong, quote the sentence and discuss it, don't make a general statement to confuse the readers.

I'd like to also note that PTF does all their electronic assemblies in-house, they also have an in-house state of the art dyno to test all their maps and make adjustments as needed. also, they have their own built-in-house map editor, MHD uses Tunerpro, another third-party application.
It sounds like a hardcore promotion all across, yet another case when you have no idea who does electronics at MHD and what companies are then following those with a copy/paste.

Somehow I don't doubt the 11-year claim, with all due respect
Cheers and enjoy the day.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 04:15 PM   #16
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

This is getting fun. Need the Michael Jackson with the popcorn gif.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 04:17 PM   #17
Davg31
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G23

BMW also subcontracts its parts and the design of those if it does not prevent from being good ;=), idem for many company, if not to say almost all in the world, one can also speak about HJS etc, there is not the debate, BM3 has no after-sales service.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 04:34 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davg31 View Post
BMW also subcontracts its parts and the design of those if it does not prevent from being good ;=)
I never said they are not good

MHD has a large customer base, and many of their customers are mine, and I have no issues with them.

My preference for bm3 is based on the facts I listed, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. For some people, these things are not buying factors, and that's okay.

Similarly, while I disagree with you regarding PTF's customer support, I respect your viewpoint and would never attack or belittle you because we don't share the same opinion.

Appreciate 3
      02-20-2024, 05:34 PM   #19
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just trying to stick to the objective facts as I read this post exchange. It is clear by your response that you are a BM3 dealer and not MHD, you don't hide this and anyone can see this on your website, thank you for your transparency.

BUT are you saying that in this exchange you have being having a conversation with MHD? In other words forum member Levanime and imap777 are MHD resellers like you are a BM3 reseller?

I'm just sitting here on the sidelines eating my popcorn but I do think there are some good nuggets of fact being shared here if the rest of use can cut through the smoke a bit.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 05:37 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Just trying to stick to the objective facts as I read this post exchange. It is clear by your response that you are a BM3 dealer and not MHD, you don't hide this and anyone can see this on your website, thank you for your transparency.

BUT are you saying that in this exchange you have being having a conversation with MHD? In other words forum member Levanime and imap777 are MHD resellers like you are a BM3 reseller?

I'm just sitting here on the sidelines eating my popcorn but I do think there are some good nuggets of fact being shared here if the rest of use can cut through the smoke a bit.

Thank you
imap777 is an employee of MHD
Levanime is the owner of BimmerECU which sells MHD products and also manufactures the MHD flex fuel kit.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 10:18 PM   #21
noname
Canyon Seeker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Yall going back and forth about MHD and BM3 makes me want to just go with Mission
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 02:25 AM   #22
MichaelNRW
B58 Power
Rep
Drives: 05/2022 M340i xDrive Touring

Garage List
Quote:
We´re in the G20 forum so we should talk about the B58 and not the N54 ;-)
The B58 (Gen 1/2) OTS maps are developed by Fabian from Pureboost.