Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Taller profile tire possible?

10-18-2023, 09:38 PM   #1
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

Taller profile tire possible?

I have a 21' M440I convertible. The tires that came with the car are 225/40R/19(front) and 255/35R19(rear) Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

I ran over a pothole last Saturday causing a rip in the inside side wall of the front passenger tire. $400 later I am back in action.

I was thinking about switching to taller profile side wall tires. I was thinking about either 45 or 50? I know handling will be compromised but blowing out tires from pothole is quite expensive, not to mention the inconvenience it causes. My question is has anyone done this? If so, any recommendations on the size of tires to use. Additionally I want a square setup simply for the option of able to rotate the tires for better longivity.

I did that to my 23' Accord Hybrid. That car came with 19" 40 profile Goodyear tires. Those tires should not have been legal for safety reason alone. It was plain scary driving on the freeway as the back end felt very loose. I swapped to 17" wheels and got some 50 profile Continental DSW 06+ tires. What a huge difference in handling and much quieter.

Thank you....
Appreciate 0